• Published 29th Jul 2015
  • 16,091 Views, 2,846 Comments

Her Knight in Faded Armor - Doccular42



Princess Luna still feels alone, nineteen years after her return to Equestria. When she finds a friend in an online game, everything seems better. But not all is well in Equestria, and a sinister plot threatens everything that Luna holds dear...

  • ...
66
 2,846
 16,091

PreviousChapters Next
Act III: Names, Speeches, and Insults

Act III

Luna stood quietly among the sea of ponies out in the fields next to the city of Canterlot. She squinted as she looked up into the dark blue sky, past the clouds and birds and toward the horizon. The entire group waited in near-perfect silence for the arrival of the griffon leaders.

“Well, this feels familiar,” Cadence muttered to Luna. The Princess of the Night turned to the side with a wry smile. Twilight, Fluttershy, and Cadence stood to her left, all three of them dressed in their finest clothes. Cadence shifted slightly and nodded up at the sky. “All of us standing here, waiting for some scary griffon or another to come swooping down. Although the last one wasn’t so bad, if you think about it.”

Luna glanced warily over at General Chaput, who stood several meters away, flanked by the griffon ambassador to Equestria and another griffon that Luna recognized as his personal guard. He stood shock-still, gazing off into the distance with his eyes narrowed and a grimace on his face. “Hmm, I don’t know,” Luna said. “I still can’t bring myself to trust him.”

Cadence shrugged. “He did almost die during the attack.”

“It could be a trick,” Twilight interjected. “The main thing to remember is that he didn’t die, so it is entirely possible that this was his plan all along.”

“Do you really think he would do that, Twilight?” Fluttershy asked demurely. “That sounds awful!”

Luna nodded. “It is a possibility we cannot ignore.”

Twilight wrapped a wing around her friend and pulled the smaller pegasus close. “But hey, he could be telling the truth.”

Fluttershy smiled and hugged Twilight back. “I’d like to think that he’s on our side. He was really nice to me earlier.”

“Well,” Cadence began, “we can’t really figure anything out right now. We’ll just have to wait until we know more.” One of her eyebrows rose upward and she glanced at the sky. “And speaking of waiting, when is that griffon ship supposed to get here?”

“It was supposed to be here five minutes ago,” Twilight replied. “But for some reason, my spotters are having a very difficult time using detection spells to track it. We have no idea where it is except for whatever eyewitness reports we get when our sentries spot it.”

With a sigh, Luna shifted her weight to her left hooves and stretched her neck. “I don’t like this.”

“Me neither,” Cadence agreed. “But since we’re waiting, I had something I wanted to ask you, Luna…”

“What?” the other princess responded.

“Who’s the lucky stallion?” Cadence grinned mischievously.

Luna paled as she inhaled sharply. “I… what?”

“Or mare! I don’t judge!” The Princess of Love giggled like a school-filly. “You can’t hide it from me, Aunty. It’s in my job title. I can feel the love jitters all over the place around you!”

“Oh my!” Fluttershy smiled broadly. “Princess Luna has a coltfriend?

“Or a marefriend!” Cadence chimed.

Luna groaned and covered her blushing face with her hoof. “Oh, stars. I wasn’t planning on having this conversation yet…”

Cadence smiled conspiratorially. “Come on, Luna! You can tell us!”

Slowly lowering her hoof, Luna turned to them as a grin pulled at the corners of her mouth. “Okay… he has a degree in history, and—”

“Oooh, he!” Cadence clapped lightly but then put her hoof over her mouth in mock shame. “Sorry! Please, continue.”

After raising an eyebrow, Luna continued. “Ahem. As I said, he has a degree in history and works as a restaurant manager. He lives in Ponyville, and we met…” Her blush deepened. “We met online.”

“Did you use ‘findyourharmony.com?’” Cadence inquired. “I’ve heard great things about that site!”

“Uh, no.” Luna glanced down at the ground and traced a circle in the grass with a hoof. “We were playing a game and became friends. He came to visit Canterlot after we’d known each other for two years, and we kind of… clicked.”

“How romantic!” Fluttershy declared. She brushed her mane out of her face. “Has he met your sister yet?”

“Ah, not yet.” Luna snorted. “We’ve only been ‘dating’ for about two days now. We’re taking it kind of slow.”

“‘Kind of.’ I like the sound of that!” Cadence nudged Luna with a wing. “So, is he cute?”

Luna groaned and flushed again. “You sound just like Celestia!”

“Wait, Princess Celestia asked that too?” Twilight asked, taken aback.

“Yes, Twilight. My sister is almost as much of a stinker as Cadence.” Luna shook her head and snorted. “But yes. He is very cute.”

Cadence clapped once more. “Ah, more princessly love! That makes three of us! Now we just have to wait for Celestia.”

Luna’s smile faded. “I think that you’ll be waiting for a while.”

“Oh.”

Awkward silence overcame the group, and Luna took advantage of the silence to look around the crowd. Celestia and the Prime Minister stood off on their own, speaking softly to one another. The captain of the first griffon airship, Ivanov, stood next to Agent Breeze. They whispered and laughed softly to one another, causing Luna to frown slightly. Beside the pair were Knight-Captain Dovetail, Captain Flair, General Streak, and Captain Dash.

Luna snorted. “Has anypony else noticed how many captains are standing over there?” She nodded at the group of ponies and the single griffon.

Twilight glanced over and snorted. “Oh, yes. I’ve commented about this to Princess Celestia at length.”

“I don’t understand,” Fluttershy said. “They’re all captains, but they have different ranks. Why is that?”

“Well, it’s because of the different branches of the military,” Twilight replied. “Captain Dovetail is the head of the Royal Guard, like my brother was. The Guard’s commander is traditionally called ‘captain’ due to the history of the Guard itself. Princess Celestia changed the rank to Knight-Captain only recently so that it would reduce confusion with Captain Flair’s rank. Captain is also an officer rank in the Guard.”

“Oh, okay,” the pegasus replied before tilting her head to the side. “But what about Rainbow and the griffon?”

Luna cleared her throat. “With Captain Dash, it is once again tradition. The Wonderbolts began as a special forces team led by a captain. The rank stuck, even though the leader of the Wonderbolts actually has the same rank as a Colonel in the Guard. Ivanov is in the Griffonian navy, and ‘captain’ is the highest non-flag rank in their navy.”

“Which completely makes sense,” Cadence said and rolled her eyes. “I swear, macho military ponies and griffons are so alike. Give them a cool name and run with it. I say we change the name of the leader of the Guard to something else, give Captain Flair a promotion, and make Rainbow Dash an actual Colonel. Problem solved!”

Shaking her head, Luna said, “But that wouldn’t work. All those years of tradition have meaning, Cadence. One reason that Celestia likes calling some of her highest ranked officers ‘captain’ is that it reminds them that they may be at the top of their fields, but they still are servants to Equestria. They follow rules, orders, and do what they must for the good of everypony.”

“But what about General Streak?” Cadence retorted. “He’s not a captain and he seems to be doing fine!”

“Streak is one of my finest officers and is a member of the Night Guard. We have a vastly different tradition from the Royal Guard.” Luna nodded at the pegasus. “He has served well and earned his rank. He knows as well as anypony else what his duties are.”

“But— oh, forget it.” Cadence grinned as she shook her head. “Talking to you is just like discussing this stuff with Shiny. It’s all ‘tradition.’”

“Well, they didn’t call me the warrior princess for nothing,” Luna said quietly. “These things are important to us, Cadence. And we’re willing to put up with a bit of confusion about ranks if it reminds us of our past. It’s a beautiful thing, knowing that we stand in the hoofsteps of those who have come before us. Or, for them to know that.” She frowned. “I’m still standing in the same place, actually.”

“Immortality does seem to have that effect,” Twilight added. “I think that—”

“There it is!”

Somepony’s cry cut through the air, and Luna snapped her head up and squinted at the horizon.

An enormous airship flew toward them at a nearly inconceivably fast speed, given its size. Luna gasped as the ship grew larger and larger… and it was still kilometers away.

“Oh, Celestia…” Twilight swore. “That... I don’t even know what to say.” Fluttershy grabbed her into a hug.

As the ship advanced forward, Luna could make out countless cannons bristling from its massive broadsides. Its massive turbine engines could be heard even all the way down where the princesses stood. But the most unsettling part came a moment later. As she ship grew closer, Luna felt her connection to magic weakening until she couldn’t even feel the ley-lines or nodes around the ship itself…

Twilight stiffened. “That’s impossible. How in tartarus can they make a portable anti-magic field that big?”

“They shouldn’t be able to,” Luna growled. “It has to be Germane work.”

The airship sped closer and closer until it hovered about half a kilometer away from the party. Luna felt the anti-magic field almost reach them as a very large group of flying creatures left the ship and came soaring toward the ground.

“Range is approximately three-eighths of a kilometer…” Twilight muttered. A notepad and a pencil flew out of a pocket in her dress and she immediately began to scribble notes. Her horn flared suddenly, but then fizzled as a spell failed. She tried one more time, and her jaw set. “All attempts at casting spells with unicorn or alicorn magic into the field have failed. That makes it at least a magnitude eight aura… will attempt overwhelm tests as soon as enough casters have gathered.”

The flying griffons landed gracefully on the open part of the field. They formed a circle, their rifles held at attention. All of the griffon guards wore a pitch black uniform complete with facemasks and gloves over their talons. Only their wings were exposed to the open air, and these had been dyed as dark as the night sky. Luna inhaled sharply as the implication of this demonstration sank in. Faceless. Nameless. Not individuals, but a single entity.

The Brotherhood of Griffonia.

The members of Griffonia’s most elite special forces nodded in unison and the circle parted to reveal two griffons, one male and one female, who had been inside the circumference of warriors.

The male griffon strode forward confidently, a warm smile on his scarred face. He wore a simple black and gold outfit that contrasted strongly with General Chaput’s intricate white and red suit and cloak. Father Dmitri walked right up to Princess Celestia and knelt to reach for her hoof. “Princess Celestia. It is an honor.”

The Princess of the Day smiled serenely as she extended her leg to him. “Father Dmitri. The feeling is quite mutual, I assure you.”

Planting a chaste kiss on the hoof, he said, “Please, call me Dmitri. We are all equals under the open sky, are we not?” he replied cheerfully.

“Very well, Dmitri. In that case, I insist that you call me Celestia as well.” She inclined her head slightly.

“Ah, thank you, Celestia.” The griffon’s eyes swept over the crowd. “But where is your sister? It simply would not do for me to only greet half of the famous diarchy!”

Luna inhaled deeply and took a step forward. “I am here, Father.”

Dmitri grinned and scrunched his shoulders together. “You do me too much honor, calling me by my title. Please, you must call me Dmitri as well!” He walked forward and reached for Luna’s hoof. The princess offered it, hiding her revulsion as he touched it lightly with his beak.

“And I am Luna.” She lowered her hoof.

“Of course!” The smile that never seemed to reach his eyes sent chills down Luna’s spine. Bile rose in her throat as he gazed at her, eyeing her like a piece of meat.

Clearing his throat, the griffon spun around. “Yvonne! Please, come and meet our hosts!”

The light grey female griffon wearing a blood red uniform walked forward slowly. She did not bow or lower her head, and as her eyes met Luna’s, the princess could see the defiance sparkling in her green irises. She gave a false smile to the princesses as she approached. “Celestia. Luna. I am grateful that you allowed us to come to your magnificent country on such short notice.”

Celestia’s own smile was far more genuine, and Luna could practically hear the gears turning in her sister’s head. “You are quite welcome, Vice-Chief Talla.”

Yvonne’s beak formed into the beginnings of a sneer, but Dmitri moved in front of her before she had a chance to speak.

“Celestia, Yvonne detests titles of all types, due to her ideology. Please, would you call her by her first name?” Dmitri asked in a kind tone, but his eyes…

“Of course!” Celestia replied. “My apologies, Yvonne. I’d read a report that said you desired that griffons called Dmitri by his title, so I made an assumption. I meant no offense.”

Yvonne nodded. “There is none taken, Celestia.”

“Good! I’m glad!” Celestia declared.

After she finished, General Chaput walked to the group. “Father Dmitri. Chief Yvonne. It’s good to see you again.”

Dmitri narrowed his eyes at his general. “Chaput. I’m glad to see that you’re well. I’d heard that you were hurt during the attack. Are you sure you should be walking?”

Giving a small smile, Chaput nodded. “Actually, I’m fine to walk. My wounds were healed completely, thanks to the princess here.”

The father looked at Celestia and nodded. “Ah, my thanks, Celestia. It would not do for my greatest general to meet his end in such an unfortunate manner.”

“You are quite welcome, Dmitri, but I was not I who saved Chaput.” Celestia stepped aside and pointed to Luna with her wing. “It was my sister who was able to save him.”

“Oh!” Dmitri turned to Luna. “Wonderful! I am glad you were there for him.”

“I am as well, Dmitri,” Luna replied as she inclined her head.

Celestia cleared her throat. “Dmitri, Yvonne. If you do not mind, I would love to take you both back to the castle. We have prepared a luncheon fit for guests of your stature, and my servants have planned a tour of our castle for you both.”

“That sounds lovely, Celestia,” Dmitri responded warmly. “Is it acceptable if my honor guard comes with us? My council is very uncomfortable with my presence here in Equestria given the fact that the windigos were able to attack already.”

Luna glanced at the heavily armed griffons who stood at attention back behind the griffon leader. Their advanced rifles glistened in the sun, their armor gleamed, and the blank visors stared blindly forward as the faceless soldiers stood, unmoving.

“Very well,” Celestia said. “However, they will have to be accompanied by members of my own guards. I’m sure you understand.”

“But of course.” Dmitri nodded to his guards, and they all immediately walked forward. “Lead the way, Celestia.”

As the ponies and griffons made their way toward the city, Luna saw Chaput look over toward her. She met his gaze, and he raised his eyebrow. Their eyes met for just a moment, and then Chaput looked away. Luna shuddered as another chill ran down her spine.

Something was very wrong.

~~~

“—and so, the President of Germaney very calmly set his flagon down on the table and waved his servant over. He whispered something, and the servant’s face went pale and he ran out of the room. A moment later, he comes back with a new pair of pants, and the president put them on right there in front of all of us!”

Celestia laughed politely as Father Dmitri finished his last boisterous joke. The long table of nobles and dignitaries joined in enthusiastically. She sipped from her glass of water and looked around the room.

Dmitri and Yvonne sat immediately across the table from her, flanked on either side by General Chaput and their ambassador. The griffons, with the exception of Chaput, all had nearly empty plates of meat that Celestia’s griffon chef had prepared especially for them. The other princesses and the Prime Minister sat beside Celestia. Even more important ponies filled out the table, each with a plate of some kind of intricate food in front of them.

“Ah, Dmitri! Your stories are marvelous!” Cadence said smoothly as she batted her eyes at the griffon. “You simply must tell more.”

Celestia smiled behind her cup at her niece’s smooth charm. She’d taken to politics quite well, and Celestia felt a flash of gratitude that she did not have to play the simpering part herself.

Dmitri grinned. “Ah, my dear! I shall, soon enough. But now, I am sated, and I must ask a question of importance.” He set his napkin down and leaned forward, looking directly at Celestia. “About the windigo attack…”

Silence fell over the room as the nobles’ eyes all turned to the princess and the leader of Griffonia. Celestia raised an eyebrow. “Do you wish to discuss this now, Dmitri? Perhaps we should finish our meal, complete the tour, and then adjourn to a more private area for this discussion?”

“No.” Dmitri shook his head. “I have nothing to hide on this topic.” He cleared his throat and stood up from his seat. “Ladies and gentlecolts. I would like to begin by saying that Griffonia extends its gravest condolences for the loss of all of your ponies during the recent attack. Our hearts bleed for yours. We know the pain of loss, as you do.”

Celestia inhaled as the speech began. Dmitri’s natural charisma took over, and his smile became completely natural as he addressed the group.

“But in this time of loss, there is also hope. A burning light that shines the possibility of peace between our nations. For you see, one of the princesses saved our very own general from certain death during that most hateful of nights. Her heroism has kept one of the most worthy of us all here on Equus where he can truly continue to do good, for the sake of every living being.” Dmitri waved to Chaput, and the general replied with a subtle nod. “The hope did not end there! The ponies armed loyal griffon soldiers, and, side by side, they fought off the vile enemies of both nations. This brutal betrayal may have brought about the death of many, but it also serves as a symbol of what we can achieve together, through peace and cooperation.”

A light smattering of applause followed this declaration, and Celestia politely joined in.

“And yet, despite this beautiful prophecy of peace, we stumble upon a revelation. Not all of Equus desires such a peace. For, you see, we have enemies, my friends! Monsters hiding in the shadows! They are not allies, and they do not wish to see us prosper.” Dmitri slammed a fist onto the table emphatically. “They are our foes! The blood of the dead is on their hooves, their claws, their talons.” His eyes narrowed as he looked around the room. “They could be among us now, and we would never know. But there is one thing that we do know. They shall receive their just reward. They will be repaid. There shall be peace in our time…” His voice fell to a near whisper. “And nothing shall stand in the way of our peace.”

Much louder applause filled the room, as well as cheers from a few of the more ignorant Canterlot nobles. Celestia clapped lightly, but her shining eyes hid something much darker.

Dmitri sat back down, and Celestia nodded. “Well spoken, Dmitri.”

“Thank you.” The griffon sipped at his red wine. “Now, I don’t know about anygriff else, but I, for one, would very much like to see the rest of this magnificent castle before we sit down once again to discuss the details of peace between our nations.”

Chaput leaned forward. “Ah, Father. Before we begin the tour, I would very much like to speak with you about a matter of the utmost importance.”

“Really?” Dmitri met his gaze, and he clicked his beak. “Could it wait until later? I would not like to hold up our esteemed hosts.”

The general turned to look at Celestia and gave her a small smile. “Princess, I do apologize. However, this is a rather important matter, and I do not believe that it can wait.” His eyes hardened and his jaw set firmly. He gave a very small nod to her before turning back to Dmitri. “If the princess does not object…”

“Of course I do not object,” Celestia replied. “I understand completely. In fact, I think that it would be very good for us to take a short break before beginning the tour. I don’t think I’m ready to go for a long walk after eating so much,” she lied. The princess nodded to Chaput, who gave her a grateful tilt of his head.

“Oh. Very well then,” Dmitri said. “Lead the way, Chaput.”

“Yes, Father.” Chaput stood up from his seat and strode toward the door. “Ah… I would also ask that we speak in private, without the guards.”

Dmitri’s honor guard had immediately moved from their positions lining the walls to follow the two griffons, but with a single gesture from Dmitri, they returned to their previous position. “Very well, Chaput. But please, we must make this quick. The tour sounds marvelous!”

One of the castle’s servants opened the door, and the two of them stepped into the hallway outside.

Celestia cleared her throat. “We’ll wait for Dmitri, and then our tour will commence!”

The nobles who had been carrying on politely quiet conversations started to talk in louder tones now that the leaders were no longer speaking. Celestia leaned back in her chair as she felt a hoof tap her side. Turning, she saw Luna leaning forward to whisper in her ear.

“Tricks.”

Celestia nodded and glanced across the table at Yvonne who sat quietly and looked at some of the other guests. Her facial expression had not changed during the entire conversation, and she refused to look at the princesses. Waving to Luna, the older sister moved to whisper back.

“Something is ahoof… that speech was not what it seemed. Dmitri is a manipulator, however blunt. We can expect some kind of trap soon, be it diplomatic or otherwise. Be ready, Luna.”

The Princess of the Night met her eyes. “Always, Celestia. I’m always ready.”

~~~

Agent Breeze smiled at the griffon who walked beside her as the pair made their way down the corridors of Canterlot castle.

“I must say, Miss Breeze, working with you has been a breath of fresh air. It’s always a pleasure to work with a fellow investigator who actually cares about the case, as opposed to the security officers who usually assist me.” Captain Ivanov opened the doorway to a side corridor and nodded to Breeze. “After you.”

“Thank you, Captain,” Breeze said, still smiling. “And I have to agree. I’ve enjoyed our time together on this case. You aren’t anything like what I’ve heard about griffons.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Really? I will assume that is a compliment, but—”

“Oh, no!” she blurted. Her face flushed red as she stammered, “I-I didn’t mean it like that! It’s just that there are, you know, rumors about griffons and…” Glancing up, she saw his grinning face. The agent cocked her head to the side and pursed her lips. “You’re joking with me, aren’t you?”

Ivanov chuckled. “Yes, I am. I completely understand, Agent. We’ve heard many things about ponies, and I am happy to say that most of them are completely unfounded.”

“Most?” Breeze nodded toward a further doorway. “We can get to Sec Eleven to drop off the paperwork by taking that shortcut. But back to the point, what do you mean by most?”

The pair walked down the hallway, and Ivanov shrugged. “Well, there are stories that you hear of pony supremacists. ‘We have magic, can raise and lower the moon, and have saved the world many times over. Therefore, we are the greatest.’ I have found this to be completely untrue. You and your ponies have shown me nothing but the utmost courtesy, and for that I am very grateful.”

“Oh. I’d actually heard similar things about griffons.” Breeze shook her head. “I guess that every race has its opinions about others.”

“Indeed. Although, some of ours are quite true.”

This time, it was Breeze who raised an eyebrow. “Really? And what would those be?”

Ivanov smiled kindly. “Your society is very calm. There isn’t much crime. Your food is excellent. And…”

“And what?” she asked.

“You are also very beautiful.” Ivanov turned to look at her and them promptly blinked. “I mean, you ponies are! It’s a stereotype, you see, that ponies are obsessed with outward appearances, and… oh, my. I think I just made it worse.”

Breeze felt her blush deepen. “Uh, thanks?”

“I…” Ivanov clicked his beak. “I think that was a bit of a faux pas, and I apologize, Agent Breeze. I meant nothing beyond the bounds of professional courtesy.”

“It’s fine, Captain. Those things happen.” Breeze finished, and the two walked in silence. Her mind raced, and she felt the heat continue to burn on her face. Finally, she broke the silence. “And my name is Amethyst, Captain, although I usually go by Ammy. If we’re going to keep working so closely together, we may as well get to know each other better.”

“Ah,” he replied. “Very well then… Amethyst.” He sniffed loudly. “I haven’t done this in a while. First name basis with a fellow officer. Amethyst, you may call me Vladimir, or Vlad.”

“Captain Vladimir Ivanov,” she said slowly. “I like it, Vlad. Very distinguished.”

He gave her a small smile. “Well, I—”


The captain’s words were interrupted by a thump coming from a room along the hallway. The loud noise was followed by several grunts of exertion and a gasp of pain. Breeze stopped immediately, and Captain Ivanov froze beside her. The two glanced at one another before nodding and moving swiftly to the doorway. Breeze pressed her ear up against the door and listened.

“—would like to encourage you to put me down…”

Ivanov inhaled abruptly. “That’s the general,” he hissed.

“Oh, you’re encouraging me, are you? Maybe you should have thought of that before you insulted me,” another voice hissed in reply.

“That’s… that’s Father Dmitri.” The captain narrowed his eyes.

“Uh, should we be listening to this?” Breeze asked.

“If the general is in danger, then we should stay. If I have to intervene, I may need a witness.”

“Okay…” Breeze leaned back in to listen again.

“—not exactly like what I said was untrue, Father.” There was another sound of something being thrown against a wall and a slight grunt of pain. “Now, that was quite unneeded. I will once again recommend that you put me down.”

“You listen here, you smarmy bastard. I know that you’re up to something. You’re intentionally playing the princesses against us, aren’t you?”

Chaput’s exasperated sigh was loud enough to be heard through the door. “If you had been paying attention, you would know that I brought you back here to warn you. Now, would I be doing that if I were planning to betray you?”

“Yes. Because you are, as I have already said, a smarmy bastard. You’d get some smug sense of self-satisfaction out of it, wouldn’t you?”

“If we’re playing the repeating ourselves game, I suppose it’s my turn. Dmitri. You. Are. An. Idiot. The princesses are not fools. Your thinly-veiled threats in your so-called speech during dinner was so obvious that I think even you would have understood it if you had been in the audience. You’re threatening them. That is an extremely bad idea.” Chaput’s voice remained completely calm.

Ivanov cut off a snort of surprise.

“I don’t need you to tell me what to do, Chaput. You forget your place,” Dmitri snapped.

“No, I do not. You misunderstand yours. And, for your own sake, put me down.

“Really? Why should I?” The reply carried the bitter stain of Dmitri’s sarcasm.

“Because I asked so nicely? Or maybe because killing each other would not be a wise thing to do here, of all places?”

There was a growl, and then Chaput grunted. “Thank you. Now, let us speak civilly. If you don’t attempt to solve your issues using such a primitive method, I will refrain from pointing out how foolishly you have been behaving. Explicitly, of course. I don’t know if I can stop myself from implying it.”

“Bastard.”

“My, what a creative insult. I wonder what you will… actually, never mind. I was about to make another comment about your intelligence,” Chaput commented blandly. “Now, to business. The subtleties of your entire visit most definitely will not be lost on the princesses. Calling them by their first names? You elevate yourself to their level by lowering them to your own.”

“I am at their level, fool,” Dmitri scoffed.

“Please. You are an upstart ruler barely out of diapers when compared with them. I am surprised that Princess Celestia did not burst into laughter on the spot. You could have at least been respectful.” Chaput chuckled darkly. “Although I suppose that wouldn’t have shown how very important you are. And we can’t have that, can we? But beyond that. You brought an anti-magic artifact to Canterlot, of all places? Do you want to start a war?”

“I wish to prevent it, Chaput. Do not forget yourself!”

“And now we’re back to the repeating ourselves game. I never forget, Dmitri. You merely misunderstand your own position. I could destroy you with a word, and you have known this ever since I pledged my support to you. You could kill me in a heartbeat, but your nation would crumble without me. We are at a stalemate, so that makes us equals. And at one time, I was proud to declare that. You were the colder than ice commander who faced down the greatest warrior king in a thousand years, and you won. But now? Now you would send an attack against your own griffons, blame it on the ponies, and try to ham-fistedly manipulate events into your own vision. You are weak. ”

“You… you dare to accuse me of being behind this attack? You fool!” Something slammed in the room, and Dmitri growled loudly. “How are you s—”

“Spare me. I don’t care for your denials. This is the end-game, Dmitri. You cannot kill me here. I’ve made sure of that.”

“Oh, really? And why can’t I kill you right now?” the father spat.

“Because my captain and an agent of Equestria’s intelligence agency are standing outside the door right now,” Chaput replied calmly.

Breeze gasped and looked up at Ivanov. He looked just as surprised as she felt, and he slowly stood away from the door.

“Ivanov? Would you come in here, please?” Chaput asked calmly.

With a sigh, he opened the door and peered inside. “General?” he asked.

“Ah, perfect timing. I was hoping that you two would be finished by now.” Chaput stood in a corner with his eyes narrowed and wings flared backward.

Dmitri spun around, his beak contorted into a snarl and his claws extended. He looked from Ivanov to Breeze, and hissed. “What the hell is this, Chaput?”

“My insurance policy, Dmitri. You see, we know. We all know. The princesses know that you planned everything. I know that you planned everything. And now, my captain and his friend here know as well… it’s over.” Chaput walked out of his corner, his head held aloft and a sneer on his face.

“You liar…” Dmitri said, his beak tight. He turned to Ivanov and Breeze. “You can’t trust him! He’s a traitor and a manipulator. He spins everything in his own direction!”

Chaput smiled sweetly. “Oh, Dmitri. You can’t lie any more.”

“I’ll have you hung after this!” he bellowed.

“No.” Chaput walked over to him and looked into his eyes. “You won’t. We’ll get to the bottom of this, and your treachery will be revealed. All of your plans, crumbled to dust. And do you know what the beautiful part is? Your melodramatic speech about the ones who caused the attack receive their just recompense?” Standing almost beak to beak with the other griffon, he cocked his head to the side and shook his head. “You were right. Let’s go, Ivanov. The father has a tour to go on.” With that, the general walked toward Breeze and Ivanov, beckoned for the two to follow him, and then shut the door as they left.

“Well, that was interesting,” Ivanov remarked. “How did you know that we would be outside? Breeze was the one who led us to this hallway.”

Chaput strode down the corridor and shook his head. “The answer is simple, Captain. I heard you two whispering outside. You both should know better. I thought you were spies…”

Breeze flushed and coughed. “I, uh…”

Captain Ivanov chuckled. “Ah, General. Only you.”

“Now, we must speak of something…” Chaput stopped and looked at Agent Breeze. “I would greatly encourage you to go to the princesses about this. They need to know the truth. Something is going to happen soon. I am certain. They must be prepared, and I will need protection. Dmitri is stupid enough to try to kill me even though you know that he has threatened me.”

Breeze nodded slowly. “I’ll… I’ll pass it up the chain of command.”

“Good. That’s all that I ask.” He nodded to himself. “Well. I should probably rejoin the party, I suppose. That way, I can see the next attempt at manipulation from our dear leader.” Giving them both a bow, he took a right turn through a doorway that led to another corridor. “Stay safe, friends.” General Chaput walked out of their view.

“Hmm… that was one of the oddest encounters that I have ever had with the general,” Ivanov said to Breeze. “I’ve never heard him talk like that before.”

“What do you mean?” Breeze asked him as they resumed walking toward their original destination.

“Afraid. I think that’s what the general sounds like when he’s afraid.” He shook his head. “It wasn’t much, but that was fear.”

“I didn’t really think that he was afraid,” she replied. “Why do you think he was? He seemed confident. He held his own even though he was cornered.”

The captain laughed. “He’s always confident. But he went too far when goading Dmitri. I think he lost his cool. Also, did you notice his eye twitch?”

Breeze squinted her eyes. “His eye was twitching?”

“Ah. It was on the side of his head facing me, so you must not have seen. It was. He was practically blinking uncontrollably.”

Breeze nodded. “I suppose you do know him the best…”

“Better than most, at least. I may not actually know him at all.”

She opened a door and nodded into it. “We’ll take this staircase.”

“Perfect.” He grabbed it and held it open for her. “After you, Amethyst.”

She smiled broadly. “Thank you, Vlad.”

As they went down the stairs, a thought crossed Breeze’s mind. She glanced back at her companion. “Vlad… you just saw your superior officer being threatened by the leader of your country, and then your superior sent an agent of a rival nation to tell her leaders about the situation… and you are okay with this? Doesn’t this represent some kind of conflict of interest here?”

Ivanov shrugged. “At this point, I just go with it. My loyalty is to Chaput, but, above all, it is to Griffonia. Father Dmitri may be the current leader, but… it is difficult. I’ve seen many superior officers come and go over the course of this civil war. In the end, picking sides will pit you against friends and griffons that you respect. But at some point, you must choose. I followed Chaput, not Dmitri, in the war. You see, I want what is best for Griffonia, and that is General Chaput. Period. He knows what he believes, and he stands beside it. If it came down to a battle between the general and the father, I know where I stand. I stand with Griffonia, and I stand with Chaput.”

Nodding slowly, Breeze continued to walk. “I think I understand. I suppose that makes sense, given the events in your country.”

“It’s not about the regime, Amethyst. It’s about the leaders. Are they who they say they are? I believe that Chaput is. He’s conniving, manipulative, and I have no idea what he intends to do, but I know that it will be for Griffonia and our griffons. And that is enough for me.” Ivanov sighed. “That doesn’t make it any easier, mind you. Blundering around in the dark, trying to follow the general’s plan.”

“I know the feeling,” Breeze said. “That word that we all hate to hear…”

They glanced at each other and smirked. “‘Classified,’” they said simultaneously.

“Of course,” he said with a chuckle. “But enough about that for now. Shall we refocus on the case?”

“Yes, please. We can drop this report off, and get back to work and—” The agent’s words were cut off as her stomach growled. She looked at Ivanov and smiled weakly. “And, uh, maybe take a break to eat something.”

“Mmm, that sounds like a plan.” He smiled at her. “Perhaps we could take advantage of the time and try one of the famous restaurants here in Canterlot? If there is time, that is.”

Breeze grinned again and nodded. “Well, we’ll need to let my analysts take a look at this data, and that should take some time. Also, I’ll need to talk to the princesses as soon as their tour is over. As soon as possible, in fact.”

“I suppose that gives us a small bit of time. You should take care of yourself, Amethyst,” he remarked. “And lunch would be on me, of course.”

“Oh, that’s nice of you!” she said. “You don’t have to, you know.”

“Ah, but that’s what makes it meaningful! Consider it the first proof that we do not have to be enemies or rivals. We can work together and get along like civilized gr— beings.” Ivanov shook his head wryly. “That slip of the tongue will trip us all, I believe.”

“I don’t mind,” Breeze replied. “Honestly, I don’t really see much of a difference, besides the whole appearance thing.”

He smiled. “I agree.” They came to the end of the staircase, and Ivanov smoothly walked past her to hold the door open.

She smiled at him once more. “Thank you.”

“My pleasure,” he replied. “Now, let’s get that info to your ponies…”

PreviousChapters Next