• Published 29th Jul 2015
  • 16,091 Views, 2,846 Comments

Her Knight in Faded Armor - Doccular42



Princess Luna still feels alone, nineteen years after her return to Equestria. When she finds a friend in an online game, everything seems better. But not all is well in Equestria, and a sinister plot threatens everything that Luna holds dear...

  • ...
66
 2,846
 16,091

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude I: Blood

Father Dmitri Kvorof always preferred his meat raw. There was something about the feeling of ripping into the flesh that was lost after the food was cooked. Was it the change in flavor that got him… or the smell? Perhaps the appearance? Father Dmitri shook his head and smiled. No, if he believed any of those reasons, he would be lying to himself.

Obviously, it was the blood that he loved the most.

The golden griffon held a hunk of flesh in a talon and examined it. The beautiful lines of the muscle enchanted him, captivated him, held power over him. Of course, the wonderful thing about that was that Father Dmitri had the ability to eat the object of his fascination. It simply would not do for something to control him if he did not possess the power to destroy it.

“So, what you are telling me is that you failed,” Father Dmitri said quietly. His eyes never left the meat in his talon. He toyed with it, turning it over and over.

“Yes, Father. I failed you, and I failed the Fatherland.” A single griffon stood in the middle of the enormous throne room. Tapestries, depicting scenes of griffons conquering creatures of all sorts and bowing before one of their kind sitting upon a throne that shone like gold, decorated the towering stone walls. Other beings had gathered beneath the soaring ceiling, and while each had the potential to captivate an audience, this griffon was the center of attention.

Father Dmitri smirked. That throne now belonged to him. “That is unfortunate, Comrade Volov. I sent you on a mission of utmost importance to deliver a confidential message to one of your very own Comrade Generals. And within the hour, you lost the message. This saddens me, Volov. This saddens me greatly.” He continued to twirl the meat in his talons. He never even looked at the other griffon.

“I… I’m sorry, Father. I was attacked and overpowered, and—”

Another griffon flew over to him and covered his back with a wing. She placed a talon over his beak to silence him. “Oh, Volov. You do not need to excuse yourself.”

“I don’t?” Volov asked, confused.

“No! Of course not!” The female griffon smiled at him. “Everygriff makes mistakes, and the blame rests on those who attacked you.”

“You understand?” The soldier’s face brightened and a huge smile crossed his beak. “Oh, thank you!”

“Nah-uh-uh… what?” the female asked. “Oh, we understand, but you shouldn’t be thanking us.”

Father Dmitri’s voice boomed in the cavernous room. “The griffon is the apex predator! The world and nature itself have appointed us to be so! We are greater than any who have come before, higher than any who will come after, and so much more than any others who are. We reign supreme in spirit, and we shall soon reign over all of Equus in truth!”

The ten guards who had escorted Volov into the room as well as the four honorary guards that Father Dmitri aways kept by his side all cheered. Volov shifted uncomfortably.

Father Dmitri stood up on his elevated throne. “We are griffon! We are perfection. And you.” He looked down upon Volov, finally meeting the other griffon’s gaze. “You failed. We do not fail. Tell me, Comrade Volov, are you a griffon?”

Volov shivered. The female griffon circled him, the guards all around looked upon him with disdain, and his Father’s eyes burned with fire. “Yes, Father.”

“And yet you failed… Volov. I cannot call you comrade, for you are not a griffon. And that means that you mean nothing.” He held up the hunk of meat once more. “Comrade Yvonne. Let us eat.” He tossed the hunk of meat into his beak.

With a blood-curdling scream, the female griffon’s beak shot out and ripped the male’s throat open. Blood spurted out of him, covering her feathers. He tried to squawk in his agony, but the action only caused more blood to flow from the jagged slash. The female pecked and clawed at his face. The attack lasted for a minute. In the aftermath, one griffon remained standing over an unmoving corpse. She held a feathery mass in her talon, and, with a cry, she brought the flesh to her beak and ate.

The guards cheered, and Father Dmitri turned to his left. He faced the quaking ponies who leaned up against the side wall. The seven of them were flanked by two guards on either side.

“So, my little ponies, do you understand?”

The ponies nodded furiously.

“This is how we reward failure. This is the price of betrayal. You are all servants in this house now. My house! My home! As such, you will follow my rules.”

The ponies trembled in fear. Most of them were unicorns, but two were earth ponies. Father Dmitri had little use for pegasi as servants, but the winged ponies were still his favorite.

“You will follow all expectations and guidelines. If you do not, you will be punished. You will follow all orders. If you do not, you will be punished. You will labor to the utmost of your abilities and beyond. If you do not, you will be punished.” His eyes flashed. “If you enter an area in which you are not allowed, you will be punished. If you fail at your tasks, you will be punished. If you are discovered to be an Equestrian spy, you will be punished. And, ponies, hear me well.” His voice dropped to a whisper that reverberated through the silent hall. “If this is how I reward my soldiers, how shall I punish you?”

The ponies stood silently.

“And one final thing. The meat I ate? The pegasi who were captured alongside you?” Father Dmitri grinned darkly as realization and horror spread across the ponies’ faces. “Yes. You may go now.”

The guards all left the throne room, leading the new servants to their quarters.

As the door slammed shut, another griffon walked out of the shadows behind the throne and slowly clapped his talons together. “Oh, well done. You frightened yet another group of hapless servants and slew another of my soldiers. Tell me, are we punishing all errors with death now? If so, I’ll have to be extra careful with my spelling whenever I write you letters.”

Father Dmitri gave one of his rare genuine smiles. “Oh, Chaput. You do know how to turn a phrase. How delightful to be graced by your company.”

The female griffon hacked violently several times. She leaned over and coughed out the feathers from the bite she had taken.

“Oh, and now they think that we are cannibals. Excellent.” Chaput’s accent sounded like a blend of one who had learned Prench as his first language and one who had learned Griffon and Equestrian from a Canterlot noble. He delivered his words with perfect dryness.

“Ach! I don’t think that creature had bathed in a week!” Vice Chief Yvonne spat. “Next time, Chaput gets to eat the guard.”

“Oh, that would make me sad,” Chaput replied. He leaned against a wall and examined his talons. “Unlike you, I prefer my meat cooked and of a species that is not my own, thank you.”

“If you even eat meat…” Yvonne muttered.

“Now, now. Play nice, both of you.” Father Dmitri turned to face Chaput. “You do understand why we put on this charade every time that we get new servants, do you not?”

Chaput raised his eyebrows and met Dmitri’s gaze. “Yes, I certainly do. Because she tells you that inspiring this level of fear in the servants will encourage them to stay loyal to you. Of course, that could never lead them to become spies if they weren’t ones already… No, that isn’t possible.”

Yvonne growled. “Maybe you should stay out of subjects you know nothing about…”

“‘About which you know nothing.’ Please do not end your sentences with prepositions. It is unbecoming.”

Father Dmitri sighed. “Enough. Chaput, do you have a better method in mind?”

The Comrade General nodded. “Actually, I do. Give them better quarters, adequate food, and pay them for their labor again. Slaves are not the most loyal of creatures. And please, consider not eating them whenever they drop a plate. We wouldn’t have to get so many new servants if the ones we have didn’t… expire, I should say, quite so regularly.”

“And how would you stop their spies? We would be swarming with them! They must fear us, or they will risk betraying us!” Yvonne said. Her voice carried the highest level of disdain.

“Comrade Yvonne, if you think that we are not crawling with spies already, then you are an even bigger fool than you appear. When you changed the policy a month ago to replace paid servants with enslaved labor, you allowed an uncountable number spies into this house. Even those who were not already spies now have a motivation to bring us down. I told this to both of you when the change was proposed, but budget cuts are apparently more important than our security. If you want to be rid of as many spies as possible, pay your servants. Win their loyalty. Then, if you discover that they are, in fact, spies… you dispose of them. Quietly.”

Father Dmitri stroked the tuft of feathers on his chin. “You say that spies would be here anyways, did you not?”

Chaput nodded. “I did.”

Father Dmitri waved a talon. “Then a few more would get them no more information than the ones we would never be able to weed out. The boost to our budget by changing how we pay for labor citywide makes me willing to pay the price of a few more spies.”

“I see.” Chaput sighed. “I shall desist. You realize, however, that this will make my negotiations with Equestria far more difficult, don’t you? They generally disapprove of any living creature being eaten, and when they hear that we enslave ponies and eat them when we are finished with them… well, let us say that the results may be detrimental to any possibility for peace. And peace, mind you, is needed if you plan on betraying them like you did all the other nations.”

“Mmm.” Father Dmitri grunted. “Well, I suppose that we are lucky that you are such a canny negotiator then.”

“Do you enjoy making my life difficult, Dmitri?”

Father Dmitri!” Yvonne hissed. “Show respect.”

Father Dmitri grinned. “Actually, I am beginning to.”

Chaput glared. “I’ll assume that preposition was intentional.”

“You assume correctly, Comrade.”

Chaput smiled and shook his head. “Well, this was an amusing distraction. With your leave, I must go to prepare for the trip. I have many things to research.” He bowed stiffly.

“Very well, Chaput. Thank you for your input.” Father Dmitri waved at the griffon. “You may leave.”

Chaput nodded to both of them. “Oh, and one more thing. If you could please stop killing my best messengers? Volov had served me well for years. This was his first mistake in his entire career as a messenger. He did not deserve this.”

Yvonne growled. “He died as he lived. Serving the Fatherland. He was a beautiful example of our principles and the true meaning of loyalty to Griffonia. He should be proud. We should all be proud of his sacrifice.”

“Actually, he died at the talons of those he had dedicated his life to serve. He did so as an unneeded message to an audience who wasn’t even listening. There is nothing beautiful about that.” Chaput sneered. “And I’ll be sure to tell his family how proud they should be.” With that, Chaput left the throne room.

“I hate him so much,” Yvonne growled.

“I know, I know…” Father Dimitri stood up and walked toward the female griffon. “He is a useful tool, however.”

“There are always more tools. Maybe we could get one who would show you the proper respect, Father.”

“Chaput is one of the greatest minds of a generation. Disposing of him would be a waste. Until we need him again, I would rather occupy him with tedious tasks of little consequence, such as convincing the cowardly ponies to agree to peace. As if we even need to ask them. They are too afraid to attack us openly.”

“Yes…” Yvonne said. “And soon, your might will reach across the entire world.”

“As will yours, my dear. As will yours.”

Yvonne approached him and ran a talon through his feathers. “I do enjoy it when you show such power. It is quite an exhilarating thing to watch.”

“Mmm... “ Father Dmitri sighed. “And you were not bad yourself. Not at all…” He grabbed her talon with his own. “And I must say, the sight of you covered in blood is… enticing.” He ran his other talon through her crest.

Yvonne shivered and purred quietly. “Enough talking,” she whispered.

Their beaks met and tongues danced. All thoughts of anything else left their minds, and the last of the guards quietly removed themselves and Volov’s corpse from the throne room.

PreviousChapters Next