• Published 28th Oct 2015
  • 458 Views, 5 Comments

Slaves to Celestia: Goddess of Blood: Chapter II: Pony Fortress - Sirvanilla



Twilight Sparkle has been assigned the task of leading an expedition deep into the wilds to establish a new settlement for the Equestrian Empire.

  • ...
1
 5
 458

A new assingment

From the personal journal of Twilight Sparkle, discovered in the ruins of Velkogan, on the Steppes of Good, in the kingdom of Onol Inen.

14 Granite, year 877

***

I have to admit, I did not see this coming.

When Princess Celestia summoned me to her throne room this fateful day, I assumed that the princess wanted to hear my latest report. I had just finished my research into the migratory patterns of Keas, but it turns out I was in for a bit of a surprise.

As I entered her throne room, I saw Celestia, seated on her throne, and speaking to a tall, black haired griffon. They were apparently finishing up some sort of royal business, and I just caught the tail end of the conversation as I approached the throne.

“…So I think that about sums up the trade agreement,” said Celestia, her voice soft and friendly. “And if your merchants would be so kind as to bring some extra stocks of mead and honey, I will make sure have plenty of extra emeralds on hand come next autumn.”

“Excellent your majesty,” replied the griffon in a rich bass, “Truly, you are a fair and just ruler, and your generosity knows no bounds!”

I had heard discussions like this a thousand times before in my lessons on diplomacy, so I mostly ignored the conversation. I instead took a look around the throne room, taking in the newest renovations. A new mural had been carved into the east wall, depicting the diamond dog massacre of 1287. It had been masterfully carved, depicting the axe wielding earth ponies charging forward, cutting their way through the canine ranks, while pegasi rained down death from above by spear and crossbow.

“…And may the stars watch over you and yours until our paths cross again,” said the griffon, finishing his speech with a sweeping bow. Celestia inclined her horn slightly, and the griffon exited the hall with his head held high. As the doors slammed shut behind him, Celestia finally turned her attention to me.

“My goodness, they say griffons have a way with words,” said Celestia, “But just between you and me, I think they mostly just come across as long winded and pompous.”

“I suppose so,” I said, a grin crossing my face despite myself, “But what was it you wanted to see me about?”

“Oh yes, about that," she said, “I fear that I must be the bearer of some sad news.” My smile faded, and I braced myself, mentally going over a list of possible disasters that could have occurred.

“I regret to inform you,” she continued, “That the expedition to the southern wilds has met with a most terrible misfortune. The group it seems was attacked by a roving band of diamond dogs, and while most of them escaped unharmed, their leader was struck down in battle.”

I gave a slight gasp, and was about to offer condolences, when she added, “Do not misunderstand me, their leader did not perish. Even now, she is being brought to the nearest settlement for care before returning here to Canterlot.”

“That’s terrible news princess,” I said, “But sad as it is, I don’t see what it has to do with me.”

“It has everything to do with you,” she said, “You see, this expedition has already passed the point of no return. They have used nearly all of their supplies just getting there, and they could never make the return journey as the situation now stands. That is why I have decided to send you, Twilight Sparkle, to act as the new expedition leader.”

I stared at the princess a full twelve seconds before reacting. I considered for a moment whether this might be an imposter, perhaps a shapeshifting spy sent by the Zebra Empire.

“I… You… Wha…?” I sputtered.

“Trust me Twilight,” said the princess, “You are the best mare for the job, and I know you will bring glory to The Empire, and make me proud.”

“I… I suppose… But what about my duties and studies here?”

“You have been my student since you were a little filly,” said Celestia, “And I think it is time you had some more… ‘Practical’ experiences than your books could provide.”

“Like, a field assignment?” I asked, to which Celestia reacted by laughing softly to herself.

“Something like that,” she said.

“Well, I suppose it couldn’t be too bad,” I said, trying to warm to the idea. In truth, I was curious and somewhat eager to go, but at the same time, the notion terrified me.

“Excellent,” said Celestia, “Now, I hope you have been practicing the long-range teleportation spell you learned last month. The expedition is currently awaiting your arrival near the southern horn of the mountains.” As she spoke, she levitated a map from a nearby table, and highlighted my destination far to the south.

“I think the trip might be a bit too taxing for you to handle by yourself just yet, so I will assist when it comes time to embark. In the meantime, I would suggest you pack whatever personal affects you think would be useful for the trip. Meet me in the observation tower in one hour, and we will get underway. Any questions?”

In truth, there were a thousand questions swirling in my head. Why had she chosen me? How was I supposed to lead a group of ponies I’d never met? What was I supposed to bring for an indefinite stay in the wilderness? Was this all some sort of elaborate test? And why was I feeling so short of breath?

“Twilight, breathe,” said the princess, a look of concern briefly crossing her face. I wasn’t sure what she meant, until I realized I had been holding my breath for the past several minutes. With a gasp, my lungs gladly welcomed the fresh oxygen.

“Don’t worry,” she said, her face now sporting a soft smile, “I know that everything is going to be all right in the end."

Oh Celestia, how I wish you had been right.

***

Ten minutes later, I was climbing the tallest tower in Canterlot, laden with my hastily packed saddlebags. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, so I had packed a little of everything to be prepared. Maps, books, rations, books, a handful of survival tools, and a few books. It was several minutes before I finally made it to the top, my legs nearly giving out from the unaccustomed weight. Celestia was waiting for me, staring into the telescope that dominated the center of the room.

“Ah, excellent timing Twilight,” she said, briefly glancing up, “you arrived just in time to see the convergence of The Boar and The Manticore.” She stared for a few moments more, then stood and beckoned for me to take a look. I acquiesced, tottering on my weak legs and trying to contain my gasps for breath. Apparently the life of a scholar does not promote athletic ability.

I peered through the proffered lens, and I saw a pair of stars so close, they appeared to almost touch. Then, with a brilliant flash, they merged, becoming brighter than I would have thought possible.

“I suppose we could take this as a good omen for your new mission,” said Celestia, as I stood enraptured by the sight, “I trust that you are prepared for the journey?”

“Oh, yes, of course,” I said, slowly turning my eyes back to the princess, “I didn’t know what I should be prepared for, but I tried to pack only what I had to.”

“Good,” said the princess, “The less you bring, the easier the trip should go.” I felt a twinge of guilt, wondering if i really should have brought my copy of Mythical Mollusks and Where to Find Them.

“I was wondering though,” I said, voicing my main concern, “How are we supposed to communicate from so far away? What if some sort of disaster befalls the expedition, and we have no way of getting help?”

“Oh, don’t worry about that,” said the princess, “They have a young dragon with them, and he has been taught the basics of scroll dispersal. Even though there might be a bit of a delay due to the distance and/or poor weather conditions, the message will always make it through.

“So, unless you had any more questions, we should be all set to go! Are you ready?”

I paused, about to reply in the affirmative, but my words caught in my throat. For a split second, I almost considered saying no.

No! I thought, I will not disappoint her!

“I’m ready!” I said, with as much fervor as I could muster.

“Good,” she said, “Then it is time to concentrate. Focus on your point of arrival, and I will supply the energy.” Both of our horns began to glow, Celestia’s far outshining my own, and I was slowly wrapped in tendrils of sparkling gold and purple. I focused on my destination, just as I had done a hundred times before on shorter jumps. I felt the raw energy building in and around me, a dull hum filling the air.

Just as I felt that I might burst Celestia called out,

“NOW!”

I released the energy in a single focused burst, and the world around me went dark.

***

Dear Princess Celestia,

Well, here I am, writing to you from this strange place. The trip went about as well as could be expected, and I’m getting to know this eclectic group of ponies you’ve sent me with. They seem nice enough I suppose, but it’s going to be a while before I manage to get all of their names straight. We managed to make a bit of progress today, but we got a rather late start. We managed to find a spot to bed down for the night, and I already miss my bed back home. At least our camp is fairly dry, for the most part. Hopefully we should make it to the outpost by midday tomorrow.

(They are yelling at me to put out my lamp, so I guess I’d better cut this short.) Suffice it to say that I am nervous, nay, scared of the task set before me, and I can’t shake the feeling that this will all end in disaster. But I have faith in your judgment, my teacher, and I will do my best to fulfill my task to the best of my abilities, and make you proud!

I just hope that I’ll live long enough to see that day…
Sincerely yours,
Twilight Sparkle

Author's Note:

So chapter 1 is finished, yay! Still working out a couple bugs as far as layout style and overall tone, but things appear to be coming along nicely. Stay tuned for more!
Update:
Found a couple typos and had them brutally murdered. That is all.
Another Update:
Decided to brutally murder a minor plot point that wasn't working. That is all

Comments ( 5 )

Liking this because Dwarf Fortress! Will read in a bit.

A Dwarf Fortress/MLP Hybriy at last :pinkiegasp:
This is going to be so much Fun :pinkiehappy:
I hope there will be Cotton Candy and Clowns :pinkiecrazy:

Is this really a Dwarf Fortress Crossover?

Will there be !Fun! and Urist aka Dagger shenanigans?

Tracked. Also…

Slaves to Celestia: Goddess of Blood: Chapter II: Pony Fortress

Looks like you got an advanced case of colon cancer there, bud. My condolences. :trollestia:

Oh my god, seriously? I have to read this... :rainbowlaugh:

Remember, Twilight: Losing is !!FUN!! :pinkiecrazy:

Login or register to comment