• Published 14th Mar 2015
  • 972 Views, 9 Comments

My love is Moonlight - MidnightMare



In a quiet moonlit garden, a guard thinks of the princess he loves. He quietly asks the moon for courage but something else is listening

  • ...
9
 9
 972

Legend

“Eons ago, the world was dark.

Lit only by the stars and softly glowing crystals the world was populated by the shadow ponies. These creatures lived in the world peacefully.

Thing change however, and one day two foals descended to the world. One a brilliant white, the other blue like the beautiful darkness. At first the sisters where accepted but it quickly became apparent they brought with them danger.

The white sister brought a killing sun, so bright and harsh the shadow Ponies grew weak and died within it. The Blue sister brought a quiet moon, it soft light was less damaging though at full strength it could severely weaken the shadow ponies.

Determined to protect her people, the Queen of Shadows Kali built a new empire deep underground where they could live away from fear of the sun.”

In deep shadows and ear flicked, once, then twice. An eye opened slowly the sharp icy blue almost glowing in the darkness.

“Many years passed, and the sisters became princess’ of their own kingdom ruling with fairness and equality. Angered by how the ponies prospered the queen of shadows, under cover of night approached the princess’ and demanded their world back.

But a dark world would mean the death of the ponies who had grown and flourished in the light. The sister of the sun offered land to the queen, but she refused, why should they only have a portion when the whole world had belonged to them?!”

Listening to her subjects slithering through in the dark the Pony slowly stood and looked up tilting her head ear up as shadows enveloped her body like veils.

“When again the princess of the sun refused to give up the whole world to the queen, she swore vengeance against the princess, for the brightest lights had the deepest shadows, and unlike the Ponies of their kingdom. The shadow ponies could last forever!

Time passed and the sister of the moon battled in her, feelings of hopelessness and jealousy at how beloved the sister of the sun was. Sensing the war with in the princess of the night the Shadow Queen went to her in the night, whispering in her ear and slowly bestowing upon her the power of shadows.”

Crystals glowed softly taking only the faintest edge off the darkness as the words echoed around her. She took a deep breath and stepped forward listening to her subjects she closed her eyes

“Our story…”

-------------------------------------

Chapter One

Legend

Looking at the expectant faces of the foals before her Princess Twilight Sparkle took a moment, a pause in her story to let what she had said already sink in.

“Soon, The jealousy became a bitter rage and the sister of the night accepted the power of shadows and became a malevolent nightmare. She challenged her sister for the throne determined to create an everlasting night. The sister of the sun grieved, she had not noticed how hurt her sister was and felt responsible for her anger.

The Queen believed she had won surely the sister of the sun would not destroy the sister of the moon! But both sisters did something the queen did not expect.”

“what what did they do?!” there was an eager tension in the foals, they wanted to know. Twilight had to fight from laughing, keeping her toan somber and serious.

“The sister of the moon, deep inside the Nightmare did not truly hate her sister and so she struggled to keep the nightmare from killing the sister of the sun. seeing this the sister of the sun knew there was hope, but, she also knew she could not break her sister free of the dark power and so with the elements of harmony she sent her sister to her beloved moon where she could sleep peacefully watching over the land until the time came that she had the strength to break her free.

The Shadow Queen was enraged, but she was deeply weakened from bestowing so much of her power on the moon sister and so she slipped back into her caves with her people, she would rest and regain her power, then she and her people would swarm the world of light and reclaim it as their own, spreading true darkness and shadows.”

“Oh wow!”

“Nnnggg that’s scary!”

“Do you think there are really shadow ponies?” Scootaloo asked hopping up her wings fluttering with excitement. Twilight frowned thoughtfully before nodding

“Anything’s possible, after all the crystal empire is real right?” she said encouragingly prompting scootaloo to nod and suddenly declare

“That’s gotta be our cutie marks!” at this announcement Applebloom and Sweetiebell stood to join her
“What we’re going to get shadow pony finder cutie marks?” Applebloom asked skeptically but Sweetiebell grinned

“No Adventurer cutie marks! Finding lost civilizations and treasures!” she said excited, Scootaloo nodding an affirmative “Yeah, Rainbowdash has been reading me her Dareingdo books their awesome! I bet if we find the lost shadow ponies we’ll get our cutie marks!” she exclaimed Watching them Twilight smiled indulgently charmed by their enthusiasm. She glanced up at Cheerilee who stepped forward taking that as her cue.

“What a good idea Scootaloo. Ok Those of you who want to join the cutie mark crusaders in finding the lost shadow ponies.” She glanced over winking at Twilight “Came over here, and those of you who would like to stay here in the castle Library and read You may do so, but listen to what Princess Twilight and Miss Leather scrap say alright? And be sure to thank the princess for letting us visit her castle and library today!” She announced brightly her order followed by eager thank yous. Twilight smiled stepping forward “Hold on, if you’re going to go on an adventure you need tools.” She said, her horn glowed as she brought forth a couple bags holding various things an adventurer might need, a map of ponyville a magnifying glass and various other things. the fillies eyes lit up and they galloped out followed by a group of others and Cheerilee. Twilight watched a moment before lifting the book walking over to put it away she sighed

“You’re good with them.”

“WAH!” Twilight jumped surprised by the voice her wings snapped out feathers fluffing as she whipped around and staggered backward eyes wide. Seeing Flash there she blushed brightly

“I’m sorry you ah, I well see I mean… What?” she asked helplessly realizing he’d surprised her because he had said something, and she hadn’t heard a word of it.

“Sorry didn’t mean to startle you, I said You’re good with them, the foals, they were absolutely wrapped up in your story.” He said, neglecting to mention he had been to, in the gentle cadence of her voice. Her soft hair… her magical eyes…

“-ike it”

“Huh?” flash blinked blushing himself. Noting parallels Twilight began to laugh Flash joining her after a second

“I said I like it. Reading is a real pleasure for me, reading to the kids, seeing how excited they get absorbed in the story and learning, well it’s really an awesome feeling.” She said blushing slightly embarrassed walking along replacing books.

“Well they were into it… I was to, Caught the end.. uh do you really believe in them, the shadow ponies?” he asked interested “When I was a colt My mom used to tell me stories about shadow Ponies who came and snatched Foals who didn’t come in before dark.” He said laughing now at the memory. Twilight chuckled before sighing

“You know, before coming to Ponyville I’d have said no, but after experiencing all these things, Discord Tirek, The Sirens. I’m just at the point that anything is possible.” She said lightly Flash nodded “Yeah I guess that’s reasonable… uh… T-the Library here is really great, it’s huge!” he complimented desperate to think of anything to keep the conversation going. Twilight nodded but her smile faded looking down “Y-yes it is…” she said softly. Flash was confused, then it hit him, she had this place, Because the Library had been destroyed!

“Oh no, I didn’t I mean, I wasn’t thinking, I’m sorry You must still be sad about losing your home!” he said weakly Twilight shook her head and offered him a smile “No… well… yes I am but, I’m greatful no on was hurt. Seeing it destroyed it was… it’s hard to describe, but I have this place now, and even if I didn’t I know my friend wouldn’t have left me floundering.” She said honestly before laughing “Imagine Princess twilight sparkle Bumming it on someone couch.” She said making them both laugh, she sighed

“Though, can I be honest? If Tirek wasn’t in Tartarus I would let Rainbowdash pound him like she wanted, all my books!” she said with a snort surprising flash with her vehemence.

“Oh boy uh I promise I take care of any book I read.” He said sheepishly Making twilight laugh more. “Oh? Good, because as well as princess of friendship I’m the avenger of mistreated books.” She said loftily giggling as they finished their circuit having walked all the way around the library.

“Well, miss avenger, I have to return to my patrols now.” Flash said with an easy smiled heading for the door with a grin, he’d done it, they’d had a nice long conversation in relaxed environment. He’d been to nervous the other night at Canterlot. He’d spoken briefly with her but hadn’t come close to admitting his feelings, but here they had talked and laughed like good friends. He was so elated he wanted to dance down the hall!

Twilight watched him go and sighed softly, that had been so nice. The other night their conversation had been awkward and a little stilted but here they’d been relaxed, she’d been relaxed putting more books away she looked around at the foals who had stayed to read, in groups or on their own reading and talking quietly, as little ponies where apt to do.

Nodding to the Librarian to keep an eye on them she left the library to head to the main hall where the chairs for her and her court stood, they where all busy now the room was empty but not bereft. She could hear echoes of her friends laughter and conversation. She felt good, strong and happy.

“Oooohhh…. YES! Woo Hoo!” she almost shouted porting around the room and grinning “I did it I did it I did it ah that was awesome.” She said collapsing with laughter and a bright smile, They’d talked, really talked, and, oh wow he was so nice. She smiled watching the ceiling where crystal branches crisscrossed supporting the roof. Light twinkled off the branches and in placed shadow shifted with the light.

It happened quiet suddenly, laying there a pain shot through her head, lancing and sharp, she yelped scrambling up shaking her head and closing her eyes, but the pain was already gone, not even a lingering ache to prove it had ever happened. She frowned touching her head carefully rubbing her temple with a hoof she sighed “I must have strained my eyes from too much reading or something.” She rationalized trotting from the throne room not giving the strange pain a second thought.

In the darkness She watched through the shadows as the Princess left the room, tilting her head her she turned banishing the vision and walked through the room thoughtfully

“There is a new princess… young to be sure.” She murmured as shadow ponies formed before her

“Yes your highness, during your sleep two new princess’ arose, one a princess of love, She and her husband now rule the crystal realm after destroying the abuser Sombra.” On explained The Pony snorted tossing her head

“Sombra?! He asked for power and we gave it, and his thank you? To take it and use it to seal the empire he brutalized. I am pleased to hear he has been destroyed, he was not worthy of what we gave him.” She said in disgust

“And this other?” she questioned, a different pony stepped forward now

“she is a newly crowned princess, Twilight Sparkle, a former student of the Sun user. She is the ‘Princess of friendship’ it is through her and her friends that Nightmare moon was released from her madness, The lord of chaos was sealed in stone once more, She has even defeated the changelings and was a part of the defete of Sombra.” The pony explained

“I see… it seems she has unlocked the potential of the crystal tree.” She said softly her court nodding

“By returning the elements of harmony that had been taken by the two sisters She and her friend unlocked the trees core.” The first explained. The mare before them nodded and walked pacing before them

“then perhaps, we should Get to know this ‘princess’ I want her, brought here.” She said simply, with her orders given the shadows nodded and vanished traveling swiftly to do the bidding of their queen.

Comments ( 3 )

I swear.... I will burst if i don't read more :P

But in all seriousness- Chapter was good. apart from miss spelling 'Dareing do' wrong that one time- it was perfect. It has potential- i see it and know it and feel it. Keep up the good work :scootangel:

5953186 I'm sorry I guess it's simply not the story for you then, But thank you for trying to read it :)

Nice work so far. I'm loving the chemistry between Flash and Twilight. And the plot's looking pretty decent too.

Login or register to comment