• Published 23rd Jan 2015
  • 1,850 Views, 22 Comments

Darkest Night - Macross84



Twilight Sparkle decided a short vacation to visit her friends at Cantorlot High would be a good way to wind down from their latest adventure, but will she survive long enough to make it home?

  • ...
5
 22
 1,850

Meeting Old Friends Pt. 2

Twilight followed Sunset from the Infirmary. It was a relief to see that Rarity was alive and well, though seeing her normally immaculate face being marred so was very saddening. Rarity worked hard to make sure she looked her absolute best all the time, and seeing her permanently damaged just didn't feel right. However, Twilight was happy that her injury and experiences didn't destroy who Rarity was though. She was still the same generous soul Twilight always known. Hopefully this war wouldn't last much longer, and Rarity could get the proper treatments she needed.

"We're going to see Fluttershy next, right?" Twilight asked as she walked along side Sunset.

"That's right. She's in charge of training, and taking care of the dogs." Sunset explained as they continued down the long corridor.

As they walked away from the infirmary, Twilight noticed the smell and conditions weren't bothering her as much. Perhaps she was getting used to it all. Whether that was good, or bad would be left up to debate. Though as they continued down the hall, a new smell started to permeate the air. It was a musky smell, and with it the baying of dogs could be heard. They were excited, and Twilight was starting to get very nervous, remembering how she narrowly lost her hand at the entrance when she tried to pet one of the dogs. She swallowed thickly as she inched closer to Sunset the closer and closer they came to the sound of the barking dogs. Sunset saw how nervous Twilight was getting and reached out to take her hand.

"Everything will be alright. It's Fluttershy. They love her like a mother" Sunset explained with a reassuring smile.

"Heh heh, It's not her I'm worried about." Twilight admitted nervously.

Entering the a large room, they saw dozens upon dozens of kennels lining the walls, and segmenting the room. Most housing various breeds of dogs of various sizes. They were trained to do more than simply sniff out Terminators in disguise. The smaller ones were to scurry around in "Spider Holes", and make sure they are clear of little nasty surprises. It was very dangerous work, and many of the dogs did not make it home afterwards. However, it helped to keep everyone alive within the Base and made the dogs just as much a problem as the Resistance Fighters. Twilight looked upon them all, and felt sorrow. She knew her friend Apple Jack would hate to see dogs used this way. Given her attachment to her dog, Winona. Yet, she had come to understand in this world, things were different now. She just had to hope that the dogs were treated nicely in between their jobs. Since it was Fluttershy taking care of them, she was confident that was the case.

Passing each kennel, Twilight could see that many of the dogs were either laying down, or gnawing on a bone or a toy. Though her heart broke when she saw how many were bandaged, some even missing limbs. Twilight could only imagine how Fluttershy was handling all this. She was so sweet, and shy. She hated when one of her beloved animals got injured. Twilight could only let out a sigh as she followed Sunset, whom seemed to know how to navigate the labyrinthine maze of kennels

"Very good Brutus, you get a treat." The familiar soft voice of Fluttershy could be heard just around the next row of cages. Twilight smiled upon hearing the voice of her friend. She picked up the pace, eager to see her friend once more.

When they came around the wall, they saw Fluttershy before a row of ten large dogs. Each one sitting obediently in line as they watched Fluttershy intently. She was slowly walking up, and down the line, inspecting the dogs that stood before her. In the corner there was a large man wearing a very heavily padded suit that looked like it was worn long past its usefulness as it carried may rough patches. The man sat wheezing as if he had just ran a marathon in that suit. Twilight could only guess as to what the suit was for. Perhaps some kind of fire suit?

"Okay Hard Tackle, you ready?" Fluttershy asked meekly as she looked over at the large man.

The Large man, Hard Tackle, slowly lumbered to his feet, rolling his obvious weariness from his shoulders, and let out a deep sigh. "Yes, Fluttershy." He replied as he took a stable stance, and held out his right arm.

Twilight looked on in curiosity, wondering what was about to happen.

"Octavia, sic'em!" Fluttershy commanded with an authoritative tone.

Suddenly, from the line of dogs, a black, and brown blur shot out, and charged Hard Tackle. Twilight, and Sunset watched the man tensed up, ready for the strike. Sunset's own body tensing, and cringing as she knew what was coming. The Doberman Pincher crossed the distance in less than a heart beat. About five feet away she leaped, her mouth open as she clamped down on the offered arm. Driving it, and the man attached, to the ground. Once on the floor, Octavia began to thrash the arm around viciously while snarling, and growling all the while. Dragging the large man around on the concrete. Twilight winced, and had to turn away. Octavia was allowed to continue for several seconds before Fluttershy gave the command for her to release the man.

"Good girl Octavia." Fluttershy stated as she made a clicking noise with something in her hand.

The Doberman released Hard Tackle, and trotted back over to Fluttershy happily, her nub of a tail wagging enthusiastically. It was such a sharp contrast to her previous action, that it took Twilight by surprise. The dog sat before Fluttershy as the girl praised, and petted her before giving her a treat.

"Are you okay Hard Tackle?" Fluttershy asked as she motioned for Octavia to return to her spot in line.

"I'm fine, Fluttershy." Hard Tackle rolled to his front, and pushed up off the floor to get to his feet.

It was this time that Sunset decided to make her presence known. "Hey Flutters, look who I found going for a stroll in the waste. I think she was trying to find a date with a tin man." Sunset teased as she threw her thumb over her shoulder at Twilight.

"I...I was not!" Twilight protested.

Fluttershy let out a gasp, and a happy squeal before coming around the line of dogs, and throwing her arms around Twilight, and hugging her tightly.

"Oh Twilight, it is so good to see you again! How have you been!? When did you get back? Where is Spike?" Fluttershy gushed, she was so happy to see her friend again.

"Hey Fluttershy, whys the Prof outta the Lab?" Hard Tackle asked.

Twilight looked at him in confusion. "Prof?" She asked.

"Oh, don't worry about it Hard Tackle. Why don't you go grab lunch." Fluttershy stated, giving him a dismissive wave of her hand. Letting him know he can go get something to eat.

The man started to shed the padding, and would reveal a surprisingly skinny, but tall person underneath. "Okay Fluttershy, do you want me to bring you a sandwich back?" He asked.

"Oh yes, thank you very much. I'm famished." Fluttershy stated with a happy nod, and waved to the retreating form of Hard Tackle.

"So...Fluttershy. I see you're still working with animals." Twilight stated as she dug for a topic to talk about.

"Oh yes, It is wonderful. Though I can't say I'm happy about what they're doing. At least its helping everyone. I just hope this awful war ends soon" She stated as she started to fiddle with the end of her hair.

It would be about this time that there was snarling, and growling going on behind the group before some threatening barking, and the sound of scuffling was heard. Fluttershy let out a frustrated sigh before turning, to the two trouble makers.

"Romulus, Remus. Stop that this instant!" She commanded, however the two German Shepherds didn't appear to be listening. Fluttershy then took a slow breath before approaching, and exhaled. When she did she stared at the two misbehaving dogs. The other dogs started to cringe, and whimper. a Soft whine rose up from the kennels as the dogs all knew that Fluttershy was using the Stare. A quick reminder of her dominance brought utter silence to the room.

Romulus, and Remus both stopped instantly, and laid on their backs, their tails between their legs, both whimpering submissively. However, Fluttershy didn't let up. She simply pointed back to the line of dogs. The two quickly figured out what they were expected to do, and began scrambling back to their paws, moving to their place in line. Fluttershy gave a nod of approval before she relaxed, and turned back to Sunset, and Twilight.

"It's those two again. They'll behave for a little bit, but then they'll start playing around, or fighting. I can't seem to break them of that." Fluttershy said sadly.

"What happens if you can't?" Twilight asked a she looked at Fluttershy.

Fluttershy didn't answer, and appeared to try to sink into her hair.

"Fluttershy?" Twilight pressed gently.

"If the Dogs can't be trained, they're used in "other" ways." Sunset stated as she placed a gentle hand upon Fluttershy's shoulder.

"...oh." Twilight stated as he realized that she delved into something that was very troubling for her friend.

"It's okay Twilight. Things are just different now." Fluttershy explained before stepping forward, and giving Twilight a hug to assure her that she was okay. "How about we get dinner tonight?" Fluttershy asked. "All of us." she would amend, and giving Sunset a look asking it that was doable.

"That is a great idea, Flutters! Its a shame Rainbow, and Pinkie won't be able to be there, but still it will be a blast none the less. Can you pass it along to Rarity?" Sunset asked as she gave Fluttershy beaming grin.

"Good, We can talk more then. I'll let Rarity know. Right now I have to get back to the dogs. They need fresh water, and food." Fluttershy explained.

"Okay, Take care Flutters." Sunset stated as she started to turn, and head for the door.

"See you at dinner, Fluttershy." Twilight stated as she gave Fluttershy big hug. "I'm so happy to see you again." Twilight whispered happily.

"I'm glad you're alright too." Fluttershy stated as she released Twilight so she could catch up with Sunset whom was already at the entrance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Really!? Applejack has a farm down here!?" Twilight asked in astonishment, waving a hand at the ceiling above. The only farm she could even consider being below grown was a Mushroom farm, or in Pinkie Pie's case. A rock farm could theoretically be a success.

"Yup, it based off of Hydroponics, and UV lights. Though I don't know all the science behind it. You'll have to ask AJ on that. Hell even then she seems to be better at making the food grow than anyone else." Sunset explained as she led Twilight to the outer periphery of the large underground complex.

"That's amazing! If I could take that back to Equestria, think of the surplus food we can store for lean times!" Twilight declared, almost giddy at the prospect. So Giddy in fact that she wasn't watching where she was going as she rounded the corner.

Twilight's progress would be impeded as she walked right into what felt like a solid wall. Staggering back, she lost her footing, and started to fall. A squeak of fright slipped from her lips as she tensed up for her impending reacquaintence with the ground. However, she felt someone grabbing her hand, and her mind first assumed it was Sunset. However, the hand that grabbed hers didn't feel like a mare's hand. It was too large, and a bit rough.

"Oh! What have we here? It must be my lucky day for running into two such beautiful senoritas." A silky smooth voice spoke with a soft Latin lilt.

There was a soft chuckle as Twilight felt herself being pulled back up to her feet. Opening he eyes, she found herself looking upon an older Gentlecolt, or was it Gentleman in this world? Either way, the person before her did not look like anyone else she had met since coming back. The older man wore a charcoal grey suit, with black pin stripes. A purple vest could be seen peaking out from behind his jacket. A perfectly folded, and starched green handkerchief tucked into his left breast pocket. He had sharp, fiery red eyes. His skin a lighter shade of gray. His black hair was slicked back, and there was a soft scent of cologne that hung in the air around him. Twilight stared at him with an eerie sense of Deja' Vu. He looked very familiar.

"Sombra, what are you doing here?" Sunset growled threateningly.

Twilight's eyes grew wide in shock, and horror. Did Sunset just say "Sombra"!?

"Oh, Miss Shimmer. You wound me so." Sombra said as he brought his free hand to his chest as if he was feeling chest pains.

"Sombra!? As in KING Sombra!?" Twilight yelped as she stood there frozen.

"Ah, so I see my reputation proceeds me." Sombra chuckled. "Yes, I'm King Sombra, and who might you be, pretty senorita?" He asked sweetly as he bowed before Twilight, and kissed her hand.

"Sombra the Cocaine King. What's the matter did Montana kick you out?" Sunset said with a roll of her eyes.

Twilight remembered all the horrors that she, and the ponies of the Crystal Empire had to endure under Sombra's tyrannical rule back in Equestria, and yet that didn't stop the darkening of her cheeks in blush, nor her mind registering just how handsome Sombra was. He was as suave, and debonair as all the Stallions in Rarity's romance novels back in Equestria put together.

"I'm...uh...um...." Twilight started to stammer as her mind completely blanked on her own name.

Before Twilight could actually form a coherent statement, Sunset intervened, and pulled the two apart. She moved herself between Sombra, and Twilight, though the man's eyes never left Twilight. There was a possessive gleam in them.

"You didn't answer my question. What are you doing here?" Sunset demanded to know.

Sombra sighed, and shifted his hips as if he merely playing with the two women. "I'm here to make a delivery. Food, Medicine, munitions. "Distractions". I do believe I also have the medicine that Miss Rarity needs as well." He explained with a smug smirk. He knew that his services were needed despite the harm he also brought with him.

Sunset ground her teeth as she really wanted to slug him. However, she couldn't under strict orders from Celestia. That didn't mean she had to like Sombra, or any of those attached to him.

"Fine. Just do your business, and get out." Sunset declared.

"We'll see, we'll see. I need to speak with Commander Celestia before I go." Sombra stated as he started to move past the two girls.

However, he wouldn't leave without a goodbye. "I'll see you Senoritas around." He said with a hungry growl, his eyes running up, and down Twilight with a lustful gleam. Leaving the girl feeling like she was just sized up by a hungry wolf. Twilight felt a shiver going up, and down her spine as the gentleman turned the corner. Yet, she was confused as to what caused the shiver.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Come on, Appabloom, we gots ta git this here water circulation doohickey working again. Otherwise the carrots are gonna wilt, again." The country twang of Apple Jack could be heard echoing in the large cavernous hold where the Base's farm was as Sunset, and Twilight entered.

The two would see rows, upon rows of crudely made troughs lined in neat rows with various pictographs displaying the different types of vegetables. Some Peas, some carrots, even tomatoes, lettuce, and cabbage. Running along each row was a bank of lights shining down upon each row of plants. Twilight had never seen anything like this in her entire life. Apple Jack was actually growing plants beneath the ground, and without sunlight. This was amazing! Her eyes widened as she took it all in.

"Amazing right?" Sunset asked as she started to make her way down one of the rows.

"Yes it is! Does all the food grown here feed the base?" Twilight asked as she was looking this way, and that as she followed Sunset.

"No, we don't have that much space. We still rely on Sombra's ...supply shipments. Though a good portion does go to our food stores. We actually use some as bargaining, and payment with other resistance groups we have ties too. Or convincing some refugees to give us info" Sunset explained as she looked over her shoulder. "You would be surprised how much a little sharing of food, and water goes to making bonds with others." She added.

"I can only imagine." Twilight replied as she stayed right behind Sunset, being careful not to disturb the fragile looking troughs.

"Hey AJ! Howadoing!?" Sunset called out to the Farmgirl, and her assistant.

"Huh? Oh, howdy Sunset, good to see ya." Applejack stated as she came over, and gave Sunset a hug.

Yet, when she looked over Sunset's shoulder, and saw Twilight, Applejack released Sunset, and moved around her. Slowly approaching Twilight in shock.

"Twi'ight? Is that you?" She asked in disbelief as she reached out to touch Twilight's cheek.

"Yeah, its me. How are you do...oof!" Twilight started to say right before she was pulled into one of the strongest hugs she could remember.

"Gosh, its so good to see ya again Twi'ight." Apple Jack stated happily.

"Lungs...collapsing....ribs....cracking..." Twilight gasped as she was finding it very difficult to breath.

"Applejack, chill! Can't you see you're killing her?" Sunset states as Twilight's face starts to turn purple, or rather purpler

"Oh, sorry there sugacube. I guess I done forgot how strong ah'm again." Applejack chuckled nervously as she set Twilight down, and took a couple of steps back.

Twilight had to take a couple of deep gasping breaths before she could speak again. "Its...okay. It's good to see you too, Applejack." Twilight says with a smile.

"Now what can I do ya fer?" Applejack asks as she looks between the two.

"We just came by to say "Hi". I figured Twilight would like to see that you, and the others were alright." Sunset stated, Twilight nodding in agreement.

"Well now, that is down right neighborly of ya. Ah'm sure glad you stopped on by. Would'ya like to have a look see?" Apple Jack asked a she pointed towards the farm.

"Yes I would!" Twilight gushed as she was eager to learn about this new technology.

Or rather new technology to her. Twilight was shocked to find out that Hydroponics was a subset of Hydroculture, and that humans have been working with it for centuries. Applejack explained, with some Apple-eese to English translation provided by Sunset, that the roots of the plants were suspended in a mineral rich water solution following the recipe of a modified Hoagland solution. The technique the Base was using was called a "Continuous Flow Solution Culture". Each plant was held in place by a foam lid that kept them in neat rows with space to let the roots grow, and absorb the nutrients. as the water solution mix is pumped past the roots. Twilight wished she had her scrolls, Quills, and Ink with her so should could write all this down for Princess Celestia to look over. She was certain that this could help Equestia immensely if she could only get this technology.

"So you're saying this has more benefits than growing food in the traditional way using soil?" Twilight asked with clear excitement.

Applejack scratched her head as she tried to figure out how best to explain it. "Well ya see...It has its good, and bad points. Its good cause we can grow underground like this. Much of the soil up top is plum too polluted from radiation, and fallout to be of use. So we have to make do with what we can. The bad, we can't grow anything big like apple trees" Applejack explained with a hint of sadness for her beloved apple trees.

"Appajack! Come on!" The voice of Applejack's little sister, Applebloom, called out as she waved over to her. "We got ta git this solution right." She added.

Applejack sighed as she waved off to her sister. "Ah'mma comming!" She hollered back before turning to the other two. "Ah'm sorry, but I have to go. It was good seeing ya again, Twi." Applejack stated.

"Rarity, Flutters, and The two of us are going to be joining up for Dinner tonight. Why don't you come as well." Sunset stated.

Applejack looked at her a second, and blinked. "Well shoot! Now why didn't ah tink of that!? That's a hell'ava Idea. Count me in." Applejack stated excitedly. Causing the two girls to giggle.

"That is wonderful. I look forward to seeing you tonight then." Twilight stated.

"Ah'll be there! It'll be a real barn burner." Applejack stated before she turned, and began to trot off to help her sister.

"Come on, there is one more person I think you should meet." Sunset stated, though there was a definite nervousness to her voice.

"O-Okay." Twilight stated, picking up on the nervousness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Come on, tell me! Who are we going to see?" Twilight asked as they were making their way down a long stark hallway. the sterile looking white painted concrete walls bringing to mind a hospital, or laboratory.

Ever since the two left the hydroponic farm, Sunset has been noticeably quiet, and rather tense. It was starting to unnerve Twilight, as she was starting to think that perhaps it was not such a good idea to meet this person that Sunset appeared so nervous about.

"Well, you see...." Sunset trailed off as she tried to think of something to say to explain what is about to happen.

However, Sunset was interrupted by the yapping of a small purple, and green dog. it came scampering around the bend as it raced down the hall directly towards Twilight as fast as its little paws could carry it as it continued to yip excitedly.

"Spike!?" Twilight squawked in surprise as she saw her no. 1 assistant running up to her.

Twilight knelt down, and quickly scooped up the rambunctious mutt into her arms. All the while Spike simply remained still as she did so. Panting, and wagging its tail excitedly as he looked upon Twilight before letting out some more excited barks.

"Spike, why are you acting like that? There is no one around but Sunset and I." Twilight stated as she looked at the dog curiously. She believed that Spike was acting like a dog so that no one knew what he truly was.

"I would kindly ask you to stop molesting my dog!" A familiar voice spoke up in a stern, demanding tone.

Twilight blinked as she slowly looked up from the happy puppy in her arms, and back down the hall. Slowly her mouth opened into a look that could have only be described as dumbfounded. There, at the bend was her doppelganger. Twilight Sparkle was looking at Twilight Sparkle. The two were identical save for the fact that this word's Twilight had her hair up in a sloppy bun, and wearing a long lab coat.

"I wondered when you would show up." Twilight snarled.

Author's Note:

I'm very sorry for the long delay in getting this chapter out. My muse for this story has been very lazy of late, and wanted me to work on SIEG EQUESTRIA instead. I'm going to try, and be more regular with the updates for Darkest Night.

Next Chapter: The Enemy that wears a beloved face.

Comments ( 3 )

Holee mother of SHIT!!!:pinkiegasp:

The plot thickens. :moustache:

7372122

that is still up in the air.

Also consider that Everyone at that high School had "Unique" names. So a normal sounding name may be strange to them.

Login or register to comment