• Published 23rd Jan 2015
  • 1,850 Views, 22 Comments

Darkest Night - Macross84



Twilight Sparkle decided a short vacation to visit her friends at Cantorlot High would be a good way to wind down from their latest adventure, but will she survive long enough to make it home?

  • ...
5
 22
 1,850

Questions Answered

Principle Celestia looked tired, very tired. Her features were sunken in, and she had bags underneath her eyes that looked like they each weighed ten pounds. Her normally fair complexion and bright eyes were much duller, almost pale. She had lost a lot of weight as well. All in all, it looked like she was simply existing rather than living at this point. Her sister, Luna, was not in much better condition either. Twilight was shocked by how much they had changed since she last saw them. Though one of the most curious things was a wool blanket that was draped across Celestia's lap. Though the way it lay was off. The folds were flatter, and there were not the long even impressions where legs should be. Twilight's brow knitted as she slowly began to deduce why.

"Stop staring at my sister's legs!" Luna snapped. A fierce look in her eye that broke Twilight's concentration

Twilight's head snapped up, and she quickly held up her hands in a placating, surrendering gesture.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything by it. I was just curious." Twilight tried to explain, however this appeared to anger Luna more. Before Twilight could try explaining herself further, Celestia spoke up.

"It is alright Luna. Miss Sparkle didn't know." The woman said with a softness that showed that her old self was not completely gone. Luna looked to her a moment, and then nodded while placing a comforting hand to her sister's shoulder.

Celestia turned back to Twilight Sparkle, and slowly began to remove the blanket. Twilight couldn't suppress a gasp as she saw what was hidden underneath. Celestia's legs were gone. Her left leg from the knee down was gone as was the Right leg from the mid-thigh down. Her pants were rolled up, and pinned so that they didn't flop, or drag.

"By Princess Celestia, what happened!?" Twilight asked as she looked back at Celestia. The older woman simply pulled the blanket's back, and tucked it around herself. She was quiet for a moment as she gathered her thoughts.

"Sister, you don't have to do this if you aren't comfortable yet." Luna insisted. It was obvious she is very protective of her sister.

Celestia smiled at Luna, and patted her hand. "It is alright." She stated simply, before turning back to Twilight Sparkle.

"Judgement Day happened. The day that our world ended. Nuclear Weapons were launched from all military silos across the globe. Millions were killed in the first couple of hours by the biggest bombs that mankind has ever made. Millions more in the ensuing fall out of poisonous ash clouds. A nuclear winter has enveloped the planet....we hardly see the sun anymore. There are many places we humans can no longer go cause of the radiation. Even breathing the air is likely killing us now." Celestia explained as she looked at Twilight.

Twilight was speechless as she listened to all of this. How was this level of destruction even possible? Bombs that could kill millions? Poison air? She had fought major villains, and prevented world shattering catastrophes, but nothing she faced would have produced this level of destruction. This literally involved the entire world.

"Who...Who is responsible for all of this!?" Twilight asked. Finally being able to speak after the grand revelation. She felt her hands tremble with a mix of anger and horror.

"Skynet." Celestia stats simply.

"Sky Net?" Twilight asked, thinking that it was some Pon, er...Person's name. She couldn't imagine anyone or anypony being so evil to bring about the death of an entire world and so much endless suffering.

"Yes, Skynet. Or at the very least, that is who John Connor claims is responsible for all of this." Luna affirmed.

"John Connor?" Twilight asked with a confused expression as she looked to Sunset, whom was on the verge of nodding off.

"Yeah, John Connor. Funny name, I know. I think he might be like a foreigner, or something." Sunset stated with dismissive wave of her hand. Her attitude was a bit ironic considering that she and Twilight were the most foreign beings in the whole world.

"Likes to talk a lot on the radio. A lot of the of the guys look up to him, and never miss his broadcasts. So hey at least they have something to look forward to." She added as she shifted her stance leaning against a pillar.

"Skynet is a rogue military Artificial Intelligence program that has become self aware, and deemed Mankind its ultimate enemy. Before anyone knew what was happening. It took control of our weapons and launched our Nukes, causing other nations to launch theirs. Or maybe Skynet tricked everyone to launch their bombs. I simply don't know." Celestia said as her left hand came up to rub her eyes. The day the world ended felt like a lifetime ago and yet she could almost remember every single second of it as well.

"It all happened so fast that no one was prepared for it. Once the nukes had all been launched, then the Machines came. Rising out of the ashes like Reapers to harvest those that managed to survive the holocaust." Celestia said with a shake of her head.

"At first we thought maybe they came to help. They would herd a lot of us into camps, feed us, and give us some shelter. It was better than starving in the wastes. But then....we found out what they were really doing to us. We were lab rats, and the camp was a death camp. The machines would experiment on us to find newer and better ways to kill us and try to get traitors to join Skynet and help it flush out other human groups." Celestia continued to explain.

The more Twilight listened the more she wished that she had listened to Sunset and the others when they didn't want to answer. It was a nightmare in the most literal form. For a second, Twilight hoped that Princess Luna would appear, and show her that it was all nothing more than a just a bad dream and she could go back to the happy world she had before.

"We escaped the camp, barely. Bulk Bicep was the one to lead the escape." Celestia stated, continuing the story as if the telling would make the dark memories fade.

"That idiot." Luna hissed, but there was no venom in her voice, only sadness, and regret.

"He, and a small group of volunteers attacked the overseer drones that were watching us. They knew it was suicide, but it gave us our only opportunity to run, and run we did. Bicep would have been proud of his former students, and co-workers. Never had Luna, and I ran so far, and fast in our lives. Trying to keep the students together, and get as many people out." Celestia explained.

"And your legs?" Twilight asked, afraid to find out, but knowing that since she had started it, she needed to have the whole story now.

"My legs...? Oh, right. Yes, my legs. If it had not been been for my sister, and Sunset Shimmer I would most certainly be dead right now. During our escape, the three of us got separated from the others. An HK Tank was hot on our heels, crushing everything in its path and blasting the area with its guns to try and herd us back to the camp. One of those blasts hit a building above us and the next thing I knew I felt a crushing pain on my body as I had been buried under some rubble." Celestia explained as she shivered. Remembering the claustrophobic feeling of being buried alive. It still gave her nightmares. Luna knelt by her chair, and hugged her elder sister.

Sunset turned away, and stuffed her hand into her jacket. She didn't like remembering this part.

"Soon, I felt something warm drip on my face. It had a pungent smell, and stung my nose. Then I heard the sound of rocks, and rubble being moved, and then voices. the voices of my sister, and Sunset. The liquid dripping on my face...was blood, Sunset's blood." Celestia stated as she looked at the young woman that was trying to fade into the shadows.

"Sunset, please tell me. What happened?" Twilight asked. Turning to Sunset whom hoped that she wouldn't have to speak.

"Luna went to try and find help to dig her sister out, I simply started digging. However, I didn't get very far into it. Two T-600s found me. I think they were trying to round up, or kill the escapees. I had a chance to run, but..." Sunset held herself tightly, her injured hand being nursed by the healthy one. She really didn't want to remember that part too much.

"But....?" Twilight pressed gently.

"I couldn't betray another Celestia." Sunset stated softly.

Twilight gasped. She knew that Sunset felt guilty about betraying her teacher, but she had no idea it was to that extent.

"Seeing those two coming closer and closer, I got scared about what they would do to Celestia in the state she was in, I'm pretty sure Skynet didn't want prisoners that couldn't walk." She said and held her injured hand close to her chest.

"I didn't think. I just grabbed whatever was closest to me, and it turned out to be a metal pipe. Looking back on it now, I wish I had a sledgehammer. I charged the Terminators with the pipe, I can't imagine why I wasn't killed outright but I guess I was lucky. I managed to get in one hit onto the lead one before it grabbed and pulled it away. Well, It would appear that the pipe was broken. When the pipe went, some loose piece of metal ripped my ring, and a part of my middle finger off." Sunset stated as she held up her hand to show twilight.

"ugh, that must've been very painful." Twilight winced.

"You would think, but i didn't feel it honestly. I guess the adrenaline was pumping cause there was no pain, at the time." Sunset explained before smiling to try, and not make Twilight as sad with her story.

"And if you see those fingers running around be sure to tell them I want them home by supper."

"How did you survive?" Twilight asked. Shimmer's little attempt at humor completely lost upon the lavender colored Alicorn turned Human.

Luna stood up, and looked at Twilight, she would take over the tale now.

"I managed to find a Terminator that was disabled from the initial escape, and I took its gun. Since Sunset was distracting them, I had a clear shot at their less armored backs." Luna stated, though she blushed a moment later. "However, I almost shot Sunset too. I wasn't ready for the recoil of the gun." She stated a bit sheepishly and reached up to rub her nose, remembering the pain of the gun jumping up and hitting her after she had fired off the first shot.

"Afterwards we had to dig Celestia out, even though we couldn't find any help." Sunset interjected.

"We managed to escape, and hole up in these old subway tunnels. We're simply trying to survive. Maybe, if we hold out long enough, the resistance will come, and help us. My Sister, Celestia, leads all of us. It is very tiring for her, but she has done a wonderful job in keeping us alive." Luna stated, ending the small tale.

For Twilight, this was all so much to take in. So very much, that at first she wanted to say that it was all impossible, and that so much destruction, and pain could not possibly exist. Yet, there it was, all around her. No matter where Twilight looked, no matter where she turned, it was all around her. It felt like the room as getting smaller, and smaller. Twilight was starting to have trouble breathing as her mind finally comprehended why some of Shimmer's squad called it the end of the world. Now Twilight was starting to really worry that she would not see her friends, and family again.

Before Twilight could start to hyperventilate, a soft hand came to rest upon her shoulder. Looking over, she saw it was Sunset. The young woman gave her a soft smile.

"It'll be okay." Sunset stated simply

"I think it would be best if we save any more discussion until tomorrow. Sunset, you, and your squad are off duty for the next couple of days. Why don't you, and Miss Sparkle go get cleaned up, and get some rest." Celestia stated with a nod before looking over to Luna.

Luna nodded, and started to push the squeaky wheel chair past the two. Leaving Sunset, and Twilight alone in the small room.

"Come on, let's hit the showers. You stink Princess." Sunset teased, trying to lighten the tension that had built up in the room. Sunset wouldn't even wait for Twilight's answer before literally dragging her down the corridor towards the living section of the base.

Sunset led Twilight to the most inhabited part of the resistance base, the Barracks. The barracks housed the living quarters, latrines, and showers for the members of the resistance. Though it was by no means very organized. Cots, bunks, and bed rolls were placed anywhere there was space. A room that could maybe hold five comfortably was expected to house eight. No bunk was empty for long as usually when one person gets up for duty, another is coming back to sleep. It was a method used by known navies as "Hot bunking". Since space was scarce, only very few people had their own bunk. Generally only officers, and special guests. Blessedly, Sunset was one such Officer. Cause of her history with the Commander, and Vice Commander, Sunset had a small alcove that actually had a bed, a small one, but still a bed. A reward for her loyalty, and a "Thank You" for helping to save Celestia's life in the escape.

Opening the door, Sunset started to set her gear on a small shelf. Twilight entered in after her, and with the two of them, it pretty much filled the room. Twilight remained in one of the corners, and tried not to be in the way as she watched Sunset remove all the extra trappings from her clothes until she was simply in a pair of tattered cargo pants, and a tank top. Twilight could see the fine definition of new muscle that had formed upon Sunset's body since she last saw the former unicorn. Along with the muscle there were scars. Some new, some old. Sunset could be considered a very beautiful woman, and yet it still saddened Twilight to see her skin so tainted by the reminders of such hardships.

"Come on, the water isn't getting any closer with us standing here." Sunset stated as she once again took hold of Twilight's hand, and dragged her out of the room.

"We don't have access to a lot of clean water, most of it is used for consumption, or cooking, but we also have to keep hygiene in consideration. So each person is allowed one shower a week, sometimes. Help keeps the smell down, and illness at bay. Though we do use some of our rationed drinking water to wet a cloth, and wipe our bodies down. Though it isn't near like a shower." Sunset explained as they made their way down the hall.

"Ugh! You don't bathe for a week!?" Twilight said with a note of disgust in her voice. "Are all humans so...unclean?" She asked

"Don't act so high, and mighty. I'm sure you can think of many ponies that could use more hygiene in their lives." Sunset growled a bit. It was obvious that she didn't like Twilight's accusation. To be perfectly honest, Twilight could think of several ponies, and one baby dragon that can improve their personal grooming habits.

"We take a shower every week if we're lucky because a lot of the water is poisoned thanks to the bombs. It takes time for water to run through the purifiers we have made. Though, I personally have not had a shower in almost three weeks considering last time we returned, I had to take my squad out almost immediately. Hell, we barely had time to restock our supplies, and grab a bite to eat. So, there is no way in Hell I'm missing this shower!" Sunset stated with determination.

The two approached the bathing area, the sound of water running, and voices talking back and forth hung in the noticeably humid air. Twilight decided it was best not to speak anymore considering her little outburst angered Sunset. So far, Twilight has been rather courteous in not mentioning the fact that Sunset did smell pretty bad ever since they first met. Though hearing what happened with the war, and all. Twilight could understand just how precious clean water could be.

"This is the Locker room. Here, we change, and put our clothes into these baskets. Oh, that reminds me. I brought some "clean" clothes. Hopefully they fit." Sunset stated as he pulled some extra pants, and another tank top from under her arm, and pretty much thrust them into Twilight's chest. Twilight took them, and set them in the basket before she started to get undressed. Her dress, and boots coming off almost like a layer of skin.

The cool mist coming from the showers seemed to kiss both Twilight, and Sunset's nude skin. The two girls shivered as their skins became pimply for a moment. Sunset took a deep breath, and let it out with a sigh, apparently eager to wash the War off for the time being.

"Come on, this shower is going to feel heavenly." She stated as she started for the open entrance. Twilight quickly following right behind her. The two grabbing towels off a table next to the entrance.

Entering the Shower, Twilight saw that it was a large tiled room with four large pillars. Around each pillar four shower heads poked out with knobs about half way up the pillar for hot, and cold water. The air was thick with the scent of soap, and humidity. As Twilight looked, something quickly became came to her attention.

"Howdy El Tee. Good to see you made it to the showers this time." Sgt. Hard Knocks stated as he was rubbing a small bar of soap over his nude skin.

Twilight's eyes grew wide as she saw the Sargent in all his nude glory. Turning, she saw that entire shower was mixed with women, and Men. Her mouth opened to scream seeing the nude men, but all that came out was a choked squeak before she simply fainted. Sunset grimaced as she looked her over, and let out a sigh.

"...Well shit."