• Published 23rd Jan 2015
  • 1,850 Views, 22 Comments

Darkest Night - Macross84



Twilight Sparkle decided a short vacation to visit her friends at Cantorlot High would be a good way to wind down from their latest adventure, but will she survive long enough to make it home?

  • ...
5
 22
 1,850

Meeting Old Friends. Pt. 1

Twilight~.....

Twilight~....

Twilight, wakey wakey ham eggs, and backey

"Geez, Lt. What's her deal? The girl acts like she never seen a grown man's cock before." A familiar voice asked.

"Can it corporal." Sunset's voice could be heard in a harsh tone. She probably hasn't. She thought to herself.

"I kinda have to agree with the Corporal on this one, Lt. Ever since we found her....I don't know, something just been off about her. She knows you, and acts like everything that has happened only happened recently. What's going on?" The voice of Sgt. Hard Knocks could be heard faintly as if from a great distance.

"Trust me Sargent. You don't want to know." Shimmer's voice came from the dark abyss.

"Whatever! So long as it doesn't take away from my shower! I've been dirty long enough, and I'm determined to get clean!" The voice of Short Wave spoke up.

The soft feeling of moist spray could just barely be felt upon dust, and dirt encrusted skin. Twilight Sparkle felt as if she was floating in an ocean. Her mind, and senses numb. The only sensation she could experience was hearing of the voices in the distance. Some voices familiar, others strange. Her body felt like it was ascending, being drawn upwards into something she could not see. The voices continued to get closer, and closer as the darkness started to ebb away into a dull grey light.

"Hey! If she doesn't wake up, can we eat her!?" A strange voice suggested.

"Ugh! SMACK HIM!" Sunset commanded.

(SMACK!)

"OW! Hey, I was only joking. Sheesh!" The voice called out along with a hiss of pain.

"Look! She's starting to wake up." The voice of Silver Shield called out.

Twilight's eyes fluttered open as the world appeared as grey globs. Her eyes slowly drifting around the area as her vision slowly came back into focus. She could see figures standing around her, and the closest one was awash of Red, and Yellow. There was something soft underneath her head, but with it a dull ache. Twilight let out a soft groan as she jammed her eyes shut.

"Ow, what happened?" Twilight asked as she sat up, and shook her head.

"You fainted. Really, are you that sheltered?" Sunset asked as she watched Twilight open her eyes once more.

Twilight looked around her, and instantly wished that she kept her eyes closed. Before she saw Sargent Knocks in the nude, now she was seeing several Stallions in the nude, and the vision was not pleasant to her at all! Twilight hardly noticed the nude mares in the group. She paled, and was about to scream when she felt something smack her in the back of the head. Turning, she saw it was Sunset Shimmer.

"Calm down. Jeeze, you're really are repressed, you know that!?" Shimmer growled in frustration. "Come on, we can wait till the men are finished." She stated as she escorted Twilight back to the locker room to wait.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The shower felt heavenly after the day that Twilight had. Thankfully, the stallions of the resistance quickly finished up their showers so she and Sunset could enjoy their own in privacy along with a couple of other women that stepped in during their washing. However, they moved to a more secluded part of the shower. Twilight's cheeks still carried a deep crimson blush as the images of all those...Stallions kept reappearing in her mind. Was that what It looked like!? The very thought caused her to shudder.

"You're gonna have to get over it, ya know." Sunset stated as she started to soap up her body. Her red, and yellow hair being plastered to her scalp, and shoulders. The warm water cascading down her lithe form. "Stallions, or rather Men, make up half the population here. Not like Equestria where you almost have to duel every other mare to get yourself a Stallion." Sunset explained as she scrubbed her hair, trying to get all the sweat, and dust out of her hair.

"Y-Yeah, but still. Mares, and Stallions bathe together here!?" twilight asked.

"Before Judgement Day, not really. Only lovers, and family did that. However, with how precious water is now. Modesty between the sexes had to take a step back over personal hygiene, and water scarcity." Sunset stated.

The two would finish up their showers relatively quickly. Twilight would have liked to stay in for another 10 minutes. However, Sunset wouldn't allow that. Stating that water was scarce enough already without them wasting it. Even with the shower, Twilight just felt gritty, and itchy. She really wished for a treatment at Aloe, and Lotus's spa, making a mental note to order the same day long treatment that Rarity would get the next time she got back home.

The clothes that Sunset lent her were not much better. The material was rough against Twilight's soft skin, and made her wish she had something of Rarity's to wear. She put on a pair of rough trousers that had to be held on with a web belt, and a tank top that was a couple of sizes too big. Twilight ended up having to use a safety pin so not to have her breasts exposed to anyone who saw her.

"Come on. I'm tired, and I want to hit the sack. Tomorrow we can meet up with the others. I'm sure you're wondering about them." Sunset stated as she made her way out of the Locker room, Twilight trotting along to catch up.

Neither said a word as both were eager to get back to the room, and climb into bed. Twilight simply watching Sunset as they navigated the narrow corridors back to her room. Even at this time of night, the base was abuzz with activity. Twilight was in awe over it all. It was like a hive of bees. People, humans, running back and forth trying to complete their assignments. Not even the Solar, nor Lunar Guards were this active. Course, that could be explained by the simple fact that Equestria is not at war for its own survival and had little crime beyond vandalism and petty theft. It was dizzying, and left Twilight with a feeling of being overwhelmed with the experience. She could only hope that soon, she would get used to all of this. Though that thought also had her scared if that should ever happen.

"Alright, we're here. In you go." Sunset stated with a weary voice as she pushed open the door to her room.

"Thank you, Sunset. I'm sorry that i'm intruding like this." Twilight stated.

"Fuck it, you're a friend, and it isn't like you have anywhere else to go." Sunset stated with a dismissive wave of her hand.

However, before she followed Twilight in, something caught Sunset's eye, and a hungry smile spread across her lips. Twilight, curious, peeked out the door, and saw a young man coming down the hallway. His attention glued to an open folder in his hands. He was relatively attractive Twilight suppose. Slender, tall, a mop of brown mane on top of his head. His skin color was rather pale, a lot like Shimmer's. He held a look of intense focus as he was reading whatever it was that he was reading.

"Twilight...why don't you head on to bed. I just remembered a meeting I need to attend." Sunset stated as she kept her eyes glued on the young man.

"Um...okay Sunset. if you're sure." Twilight stated a bit hesitantly.

"Oh, I'm sure alright." Sunset stated without turning around. To Twilight, she swore she heard the Old Sunset in her voice just now.

"Sargent High Tower!" Sunset called out. Startling the young man as he looked up from his folder, nearly dropping the documents.

"Su...Lt. Shimmer! You're back." He said with a quick yelp of both surprise, and happiness. High Tower seemed to be an ironic name as when Sunset stood next to him, the young man was actually slightly shorter than her.

"Yup, and its time for one of our "meetings"." Sunset stated, a sly hungry smirk on her lips, her uninjured hand settling on his shoulder and pulling him towards her.

"Y-Yes ma'am." High Tower stated, while trying to hide the sheepish grin upon his lips.

Sunset smiled in approval as she turned, and led him down the hall. Putting just a hint more sway into her hips while pulling the human along behind her. As she pasted Twilight, whom was still standing in the door way, she smirked, "Don't wait up." She said coyly. Leaving Twilight standing in the hall blinking in confusion. The last thing Twilight would see is Sunset pulling High Tower into the next room, and slamming the door.

Twilight closed the door, but didn't lock it, believing that Sunset would return after her meeting. Twilight was admittedly curious as to what kind of meeting needed to be held so late at night. Surely it could have waited till morning when they got a good night's sleep. She guessed it was one of those weird human things that she had yet to get accustomed too.

Twilight would move to the the bed, and plop down upon the thin dusty mattress. The rusty springs squeaking loudly as the mattress, and frame accepted, and cradled Twilight's weight.

"Sheesh, how does Sunset sleep on this thing?" Twilight asked. Forgetting the terror, and all the human's predicament, instead thinking of how soft and warm her bed in her new palace was. Yet, she missed her bed in the old Tree Library even more.

She had to shift positions several times to actually find one that was reasonably comfortable while still making enough room for Sunset to climb in when she got back. Twilight closed her eyes, and pulled the thread bare blanket over her to stave off the chill from being underground. She could feel exhaustion, and sleep slowly creep up from the depths of her mind, and she welcomed it. Perhaps in her dreams she could be back in the warm sunshine of Celestia's sun. Twilight let out one more sigh as she finally succumb to sleep, her body slowly shutting down and feeling both as if weight were being piled down on top of her and then removed from her body.

However, her rest would not be, as shortly after she drifted off, a soft moan awoke her back up. Almost instantly, her senses were hyper-aware as her Fight or Flight responses kicked in. For a moment, she feared an attack, but with the lack of screaming, and alarms or shooting, that guess was quickly brushed aside.

"What was that?" she mused as she sat up in the bed, and looked around the confined room.

Soon, another moan could be heard, a bit louder. Twilight blinked as she realized that it was coming from the room next door. Twilight's curiosity was getting the better of her as she leaned against the concrete wall, and pressed her ear to it. She thought she could hear a repetitive squeaking noise. A squeaking noise much like the springs on Sunset's mattress, in an almost rhythmic pattern.

"What kind of meeting is going on over there?" She asked to no one in particular.

"Oooo" was heard, and Twilight pulled her head away from the wall. Her eyebrows scrunching in confusion as she looked at the wall as if it was transparent.

Twilight tried to picture what was going on over there, but could not even begin to get a good idea.

"Maybe he's just giving her a Massage, like she would get with the Blossom sisters? I bet that must feel so good. Sunset has been under a lot of stress, and seems very tense." Twilight said with a confident nod.

"Come on, pull my hair harder!" Sunset's voice was heard saying, causing Twilight's eyes to blink in confusion.

"What kind of Massage involves Hair pulling?" She asked before loud slaps filled the room.

"oh yeah harder! I've been very naughty!" Sunset cried out.

"But my hand is all sore." High Tower whined in response in the other room.

Twilight could only stare at the wall in confusion. She was starting to get the feeling that this was not a meeting in the sense that she had understood. The squeaking simply got louder, and faster. Words seemingly give way to grunts, and moans. Twilight's cheeks started to darken as what was actually happening began to dawn upon her.

"Are they really...?" Twilight mumbled as she pressed her ear back against the wall to listen.

"Oh come on you can go harder than that! Or maybe you want me on top again?" She heard Sunset moan in frustration.

The blush that was hinting on Twilight's cheeks exploded as her entire face, and shoulders turned red as a tomato.

"Oh my Celestia, they're really doing It!" Twilight gasped as she tore herself from the wall, and buried her head in the pillow. Though it did little to muffle the sounds next door.

She tried to think of everything and anything to drown out what she knew she shouldn't be hearing. Things like Starswirl the Bearded's lost Theorem. Rarity's constant jabbering about the latest fashions in Manehattan that She would make Twilight remember. the number of Loop-de-loops in Rainbow Dash's routine that she likes to use to try, and impress the Wonderbolts. Anything to drown out what was going on.

Thankfully, the noises ceased after some more time with a sharp muffled cry from one or both of them, and then silence. Though Twilight would keep the pillow covering her ears for a few minutes more before she peeked out from underneath it. She looked up to the ceiling as she listened for any noise. Blessedly, she would be rewarded with peaceful silence. Now she wondered if Sunset was really going to return tonight or simply "Sleep over". She swallowed thickly as she could only imagine how that encounter will go if Sunset decided to forego sleep for pleasure.

She would find out as Sunset just swung her door open, and leaned against the door frame. A lit cigarette in her mouth, and a goofy grin on her face. Her clothes were all disheveled, and her hair was a mess, and yet. She appeared to be glowing. Twilight peeked out from underneath the covers, and looked at her as she let out another puff of her cigarette and seemed to wave at someone behind the wall that Sunset couldn't see, likely High Tower, and even winking at him.

"Did you have a good meeting?" she asked a bit timidly.

"Oh, did I wake you? I'm sorry." Sunset stated sincerely. It appeared she completely forgot that she had a guest staying over. "Yeah, the meeting was great.." Sunset shivered as she let her mind replay the meeting and continued puffing on her cancer stick, not even giving less of a shit if she tried, just reveling in the pleasure she still felt.

"Best meeting I've had in living memory." Cooed as she entered the room, and closed the door.

The room quickly became pungent with the smell of burning tobacco. Twilight found herself coughing while Sunset took one or two drags more before extinguishing her cigarette.

"Ah, i was saving that one. Good thing tonight was so good." She stated with a sigh before removing her top, and trousers, tossing them onto the chair before climbing into bed with Twilight. "Good night Twilight." Sunset sighed contently.

"Good night, Sunset." Twilight replied as she shifted down a bit to try, and get comfortable.

Ponies, being herding animals, often snuggled up to one another for warmth on cool, and cold nights. Twilight was no different as she found herself getting a chill rather quickly. She wished she was back in her warm bed, or with the others where they could snuggle against one another for warmth, and comfort. However, she remembered how Humans were touch sensitive. Humans didn't really allow random strangers to simply touch them, let alone snuggle. It gave Twilight a deep sense of loneliness. She stared at random spot on the concrete wall, and waited for sleep to come again.

Though it would appear that Twilight forgot something, Sunset was once a pony too. Soon, the purple alicorn turned human found a warm presence pressing up against her back. Almost instantly, she felt her body absorb that warmth, and relax. Twilight was able to forget everything that happened in the past several hours since she arrived here.

"Everything will be okay, Twilight." Sunset whispered with a surprisingly gentle tone. her arms slithering around the other girl to keep her close.

Twilight wasn't sure what Sunset was referring too, but that did little to diminish the effects of her words.

"Thank you, Sunset." Twilight whispered back as she placed hand upon Sunset's arm,

Soon, the two would slip into the realm of sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The following morning, the two were up early for breakfast. The mess was serving artificial eggs, bacon, applesauce, and hash browns. Today was a bit of a special day. A small reward for the men, and women at the destruction of a HK Tank the previous night, plus a small morale boost never hurt. The Mess hall was far more crowded than it was the previous night. The din of the multitude of conversations going on was almost a dull roar that was punctuated by the sound of people's utensils scraping, and scratching against plates, or the clatter of used dishes, and silverware being dumped into the chute to be cleaned.

The two would find a seat at the table they were at last night. Thankfully, it was reasonably deserted for them. Sunset sat down, and quickly started to eat from her plate. They had a lot to do today, and little time to do it. Twilight however, seemed very reluctant about eating the eggs, and bacon.

"You're going to have to get over your little thing against meat. We went over this last night. You're a human, and humans are predators. They need the meat to survive, and so do you." She explained. Her tone being far more civil this morning after a shower, some "exercise", and a good night sleep.

"But this used to be a living thing." Twilight replied, poking her eggs with a fork.

"One, the eggs are not real. They're artificial. Don't ask me what they are. I'm actually afraid to ask. Two, yes bacon was once a pig, but that does not change the fact that you need to eat. If you want to get home, you're going to need your strength, and you get that from protein, and protein comes from meat." Sunset explained as she took a large bite out of a slice of bacon.

"Besides, we don't get to eat this good very often. So don't waste the food." Sunset added.

Twilight grimaced as she looked at the three slices of thin bacon she had sitting on her plate. She didn't want to admit it, but it did smell good. Probably her Human nose trying to trick her pony mind. Gingerly she reached down, and picked up the piece of meat. It felt gritty, and a bit slimy from the grease in her finger tips. She watched Sunset bite off another large piece of her bacon before shoving a fork full of hashbrowns into her mouth. Twilight looked back down, and tentatively took a tiny nibble of the end. She scrunched her eyes as she felt the piece of meat break off.

Suddenly, Twilight's mouth was assaulted with the salty greasy goodness that was Bacon. Her eyes popped open as she looked at the slice in her hand before making it disappear into her mouth. When she looked over to Sunset, the other girl was smirking with an raised eyebrow.

"Behold!" She declared as she held up her final piece of bacon. "The power of Bacon! Know it, and tremble." She followed up dramatically.

Twilight just looked at Sunset for a few minutes before she burst out laughing. Sunset's smirk still plastered on her face. This distracted the two from seeing someone approaching the table.

"SHIMMER!" A loud voice called out to the two at the table. Twilight, and Shimmer stopped their giggles, and looked over to another young woman standing at the end of the table. Her long white hair was braided into a pony tail, and her light blue skin, and the overly proud stance instantly clued Twilight as to whom was standing there.

"Hey Trix. What's up?" Sunset asked before going back to eating.

"I've heard that it was your squad that took out that HK last night." Trixie stated, still keeping that smug grin.

"Yup, it was us." Sunset stated simply.

"Then I guess I can acknowledge your potential as a rival for my squad." Trixie said in a "gracious" manner. She had her chest puffed out, and haughty expression upon her face

Sunset smirked at Trixie while Twilight was glaring daggers at her.

"Yeah well Trixie...fuck you too." Sunset stated with a smile.

Twilight looked at Sunset, and was happy to see that Sunset was not going to take anything from this braggart. However, she was surprised to see that Trixie was not throwing a tantrum, but smiling as well. She sat down at the table as Twilight looked on in confusion. What was going on?

"That was a good job. I'm sorry you lost Tunnel Rat." Trixie stated with sincerity. She even extended a hand, and placed it on Sunset's shoulder.

"Thanks. Tunnel Rat was a lot of things. Smelly, Dirty, Perverted, Gross, utter lacking of moral fiber, but he was a good man." Sunset stated with a sigh. It was always hard to lose a teammate.

"He is in a far better place now than anywhere on this mud ball of a planet." Trixie said with assurance.

"Yeah, thanks. So, what are you doing up this early? Normally your team works at night." Sunset stated, eager to change subjects.

"We're being sent out to destroy a Skynet sub-node that is worrying the Commander. It's about 5, 6 clicks south of here. She also wants to see if we can perhaps hack into the network, and see what intel we can get. So I'm taking I.P. with my team on this one." She stated.

"Good luck, and come back safe, okay?" Sunset stated.

Trixie blinked before standing up, and taking a dramatic pose.

"The squad of the Great, and Powerful Trrrrixie needs no luck. They're just that good!" She declared with the same amount of showponyship as her Equestrian counter part.

Sunset laughed as she shook her head. Her hair cascading over her shoulders as she did.

"However, Thank you." Trixie stated warmly before turning to Twilight finally. "Wow. how did you get the Professor out of the Labs? Did you hold a gun to her head to get her to eat?" Trixie asked.

"heh, heh...Something like that." Sunset stated nervously. She had to find a way to change the subject again.

"When is your team heading out?" She asked quickly. Causing Trixie to check her watch.

"Actually right about now!" She gasped as she realized that she was running behind. "See ya, gotta jet." Trixie announced before she dashed off. Waving to Sunset as she disappeared out the door.

Sunset waved back while Twilight sat in confusion. She then turned to Sunset Shimmer.

"What was that "Professor" business all about?" Twilight asked.

"You'll find out later." Sunset stated dismissively before she continued eating. Leaving Twilight to huff at being given the "Treatment" again, but went back to finishing her breakfast.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

After breakfast, Twilight, and Sunset were walking down one of the long corridors that was taking them deeper into the base. Sunset was taking Twilight to meet some of her friends that have survived the war. Twilight was finding herself quite nervous, and yet curious as to how her friends have changed since she last met them.

"Pinkie is out in the field with her artillery crews, and Rainbow Dash is stationed by the old Airport. She flies helicopters, and gets us in, and out of some bad situations. She would have picked us up yesterday, but it was too dangerous for any flying yesterday." Sunset explained.

"Rainbow Dash is a Pilot, huh." Twilight acknowledged as she realized it made sense for the speedster. "So, who are we meeting first?" Twilight asked.

"Rarity. She's a nurse in the infirmary." Sunset explained as the two rounded a corner, and started down another hall.

They walked a few steps before Twilight noticed that the hall was completely deserted. Perhaps now would be a good opportunity to ask Sunset something that has been on her mind all morning.

"So...High Tower is his name, huh?" Twilight asked as she looked over at Sunset.

Sunset nearly tripped over her own feet in surprise at the sudden change in topic. She quickly composed herself, and looked at Twilight in confusion. "What? Yeah. His name is High Tower." She affirmed with an eyebrow raised as she looked at Twilight next to her, wondering what the princess was getting at.

"It must be so amazing to have somepon....eerr somebody to be intimate with. Especially in this situation, its like something out of a cheesy Fabimane novel, only better because its real!" Twilight said, not realizing that she had just admitted to reading the cheesy bit store novels. Though in her defense, Rarity did let her borrow them and gave them such glowing praise.

Sunset's eyes grew wide at what Twilight just said. "Intimate?" she asked, tempting fate that perhaps she heard Twilight wrong. 'Is she really going where I think she is going with this?' she asked herself.

"Don't worry, I promise to keep it a secret. I guess its like in the guard where there's no fraternization allowed." Twilight said before sighing. "Forbidden loves are so romantic."

Sunset didn't say a word. She simply stared at the Purple Alicorn in human form. "Oh Celestia! SHE IS! Sunset mentally screamed at herself.

"So, how long have you, and your coltfriend been dating? Has any other mare approached either of you to join your herd? Or is it a permanent one on one relationship?" Twilight asked as she thought of the relationship Mr. and Mrs. Cake back in Ponyville had with each other. Excitement growing in her voice as she leaned disturbingly close to Sunset. An almost maniacal grin on her lips.

Sunset could feel a cold sweat rolling down the back of her neck as she started to lean away from this girl. Her eyes darting back, and forth. Looking for an avenue of escape from this sudden interrogation. There is no way she'll fall for it, but I have to do something. She thought to herself as she set her resolve.

"Look a book!" Sunset suddenly declared as she thrust a finger to somewhere on the other side of Twilight Sparkle.

"A book!? Where!?" Twilight gasped as she spun around, her hair floating up like the hem of a dress. Her violet eyes darting here, and there, looking for the elusive tome that Sunset had just pointed out.

Sunset was surprised that the trick actually worked. So surprised in fact that she almost forgot the reason why she did it in the first place. Quickly she darted down the hall leaving Twilight behind. FREEDOM! she mentally declared as she rounded the last bend.

"Sunset?" Twilight asked as she looked up from discovering there was no book anywhere to be found.

"What are you doing back there slow poke!?" Sunset called out from down the hall, acting like nothing has happened at all.

"HEY! That was not nice!" Twilight called out as she trotted to catch up to her friend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It was easy to tell when they were closing in on the infirmary. The moans of those in pain could be heard down the hall along with the thick scent of blood and medicine that hung in the air oppressively like a thick cloud of smoke. Medical Supplies were in desperately short supply. Things like clean bandages, antibiotics, painkillers, and disinfectants were highly valued, and rare commodities. As Sunset, and Twilight drew closer, Twilight could also detect a certain smell, new and terrible. It was a nauseating smell that threatened the churn her stomach. The scent was like someone leaving food out too long and then vomiting on it, at least that was how Twilight could best describe the smell in her mind. It was the smell of infection and decay.

Rounding the corner, the scene that laid out before the two Pony turned Humans was something utterly medieval. Doctors, and nurses in Equeatria would have been horrified to see the conditions that this "Hospital", if one could even call it that, was in. The Place was made in one huge room that looked like it was carved out of the ground rather than built. Steel jacks, and salvaged beams kept the ceiling up. The room was littered with surplus army cots full of patients in various conditions. Some with more bandages than visible skin. There were pools of blood on the floor that orderlies were continually moping up. Yet their efforts of trying to keep this place clean and relatively sanitary were nothing more than a sisyphean task.

"How...?" Was all Twilight could ask.

"Don't ever take the Peace you have in Equestria for granted." Sunset stated somberly, her eyes focused on the floor instead of everyone in constant agony around her.

Twilight was about to retort about the "Peace" in Equestria, but instead took another look at the room full of the injured, and dying. Thinking back, she realized that her world was very peaceful under the watchful eyes of the Celestial Sisters. Yes, it has its share of troubles, but no pony ever really gets injured. The worst they had were petty thefts and pranks sometimes getting out of hand. Course, there was the occasional Villain that really stirred things up. However, this was simply on a level that would be impossible for any pony to fathom without experiencing it. The only ones that Twilight could think of that could possibly imagine this was Celestia, and Luna.

"I...I won't." Twilight said softly as she cast her eyes down so she wouldn't have to look at it all.

"Come on, I see Rarity." Sunset stated as she started to led Twilight through the narrow aisles between the rows, and rows of cots.

Twilight followed silently behind Sunset as they approached a woman with purple hair in a white apron. She was sitting on a small foot stool with a bucket of warm water, and giving an injured soldier a sponge bath, doing so slowly to not make the trooper's pain even worse. Twilight didn't recognize Rarity at first. The woman's normally perfectly quaffed purple mane that was once so vibrant and shiny now looked dull and as if it had been years since she brushed it thoroughly. While it was still reasonably styled, It was a far different style than Rarity normally likes her mane. Her purple hair was pulled back into a bun to keep it out of the way with a broad lock hanging down over the left side of her face. Looking at her, Twilight could see that Rarity's normally fair skin was pale from lack of sun, and her features were gaunt, and weary looking. A far cry from the beauty that Twilight remembered. This War has changed so much, and affected so many people.

"Hey Rarity. How are you doing?" Sunset called out the woman.

Rarity turned on her stool to look up at the two. Dropping the bloody sponge into a small basin, Rarity rushes over to hug Sunset tightly.

"Oh Sunset, darling!. I'm so glad to you're not hurt from fighting that dreadful Tank." She said in her dainty voice. Happy that her friend has returned alive.

The two hugged for a few moments before Rarity noticed Twilight. She was standing a foot or two away, and had a nervous smile. Twilight blinked for a moment as she slowly released Sunset, and approached Twilight. The look in her eyes was utter disbelief. Hands that were once so dainty, and immaculate held Twilight's face gently.

"Twilight? Is that you?" Rarity asked with disbelief.

"I came to see you, and everyone else. You know, a vacation." Twilight answered. Giving another chuckle, trying to keep the situation from turning grim again.

Rarity returned Twilight's chuckle as she let her hands drop in front of her, against the blood stained apron. "Well Darling, I can think of many places much more fabulous to visit than a war torn waste land." She chuckled, trying to hide sadness in her voice.

Rarity turned her head to speak with Sunset, but something caught Twilight's attention. When Rarity's hair moved, a patch of cloth that covered a large portion of the left side of her face was revealed. Twilight reached out, and placed a hand upon Rarity's shoulder. Stopping her mid-motion. Twilight's other hand gently drew back the lock of hair. She saw a beautifully embroidered piece of white silk held onto the side of her face. From the edges, Twilight could see hints of red peeking out.

"Rarity, what happened?" Twilight asked softly, worry in her large eyes.

Rarity didn't move, nor answer. She couldn't even look at Twilight right then. A soft whimper could be heard from her as tried to pull away from her friend.

"It is alright, Rarity. You can tell Twilight." Sunset stated as she set her crippled hand upon Rarity's. Giving the young woman a smile to comfort her.

Rarity gave Sunset a nod before taking a deep breath. Slowly she reached up, and removed the silken patch. Twilight gasped what she saw. Rarity's normally flawless skin was marred horribly as the entire area of her left cheek, going from just below her eye to her jaw line, and back to her just in front of her ear, was a dark blistered red color. The skin looked like someone had pressed her cheek to a hot plate, and seared it at a very high temperature.

"It is a radiation burn, from when I was in the camps. The robots were experimenting on better ways to hurt us and...I...I don't like talking about that time." Rarity spoke softly as she looked at Twilight. "It doesn't hurt much anymore." She said, but Twilight could tell it was a lie.

Twilight wanted to know more. Her inquisitive nature had to know. Yet, seeing the sadness, and the pain that such memories, even now, were summoning in her friend. Twilight couldn't, she simply couldn't do that to her friend. She gave Rarity, and Sunset a nod before Rarity re-affixed the medical mask. With it, and her lock of hair back in place. Rarity's smile returned to her soft lips.

"So what are you two doing?" Rarity asked to try, and change subjects.

"I'm just showing Twilight around. I figured she would want to meet with you all. Her coming such a long way, and all." Sunset explained.

"That is so thoughtful. I'm very happy to see that you've made it safely here, darling." Rarity stated as she takes Twilight's hands in hers.

"I'm so happy that you're safe as well, Rarity." Twilight replied before she pulled Rarity into a hug.

It would about about this time that large brute of a man came up with dark mauve skin, and long muscular arms. A mop of dusty burnt orange hair capped his head. His lower jaw set forward as he wore a tattered grey vest over top his clothes. "Um...Excuse Fido, Mizz Raratee" He says gently. yet his voice was deep, and gravelly as if he smoked a thousand cigarettes a day.

Rarity turned, and chuckled as she saw one of her most reoccurring patients.

"Fido! It is so good to see you. How may I help you?" Rarity asked.

"Who?" Twilight whispered to Sunset.

"That is Fido, from the Diamond Dogs Gang. He, and the others dig out tunnels, and expand the base. They dug out this hospital." Sunset explained. "I think Fido has a crush on Rarity. I hear he comes by all the time with one ailment or another." she added with a chuckle and even doing air quotes with her fingers.

"Rova hit Fido with shoval, again." Fido whimpered, pushing his bottom lip out, letting it quiver as he lowered his head and showed a small knot on the side of his head.

Rarity could only chuckle, and rolled her eyes as she slipped a dainty hand into one of the pockets on her apron. She would pull out a small pink bandage that had pictures of cartoon jewels upon it. Peeling off the backing, she placed it on the lump on the side of Fido's head. She then followed this up by a small peck on top of the bandage. Fido's cheeks exploded with color as a lopsided smile formed on his lips.

"Feeling better Darling?" She asked.

"Yez mizz Raratee. Tank youz very much." Fido responded as he nodded his head enthusiastically. This causing the three girls to chuckle.

"Hey Rarity! The Doctor needs you to sow up this patient!" Another nurse suddenly called out to Rarity. Causing the young woman to sigh wearily.

"Duty Calls. I have to get back to work. Don't be a stranger, Ta-Ta~!" Rarity called back as she started to navigate the narrow spaces between the cots to get to the operation area just behind a curtain.

Sunset smiled, and waved along with Twilight. Fido, no longer having a reason to hang around, slowly trudged out of the the hospital. his large hand stroking the bandage that carried a hint of Rarity's lipstick.

"So, where are we going next?" Twilight asked as she followed Sunset out the hospital room.

"We're going to check up on Fluttershy. She should be down in the kennels with the dogs." Sunset stated as she led the way.