• Published 25th Sep 2016
  • 24,353 Views, 3,778 Comments

Spectacular Seven - Albi



As graduation draws near, magic begins to awaken in the human world, drawing out old rivals and opening the doors to new adventures. It's up to Sunset and her friends to keep Canterlot safe, all while dealing with their looming futures.

  • ...
 3,778
 24,353

PreviousChapters Next
14. The Letter

“So, Selena has no idea what the staff does?”

Sunset stretched her arms over her head. “Nope. Artemis just warped it over in the middle of the night while we were gone. He later sent a note telling her to keep it locked up in the study until he got back. Apparently, he and Trixie ran into Tempest when they found it.”

Twilight made a concerned hum. “That is worrying. It can’t be good if she wants it.” She looked at Sunset from the corner of her eyes. “Any chance I could take a look at it?”

“How about we wait until after Artemis sees it first?”

The two of them walked back to Twilight’s house after an early morning sword practice. Sunset held onto Twilight’s sword while Twilight continuously tried to stretch out her shoulder.

“I guess that’s reasonable,” Twilight said, failing to hide her disappointment.

Sunset playfully rolled her eyes. “We can research some other magical phenomena. Would that make you happy?”

“Yes!” Twilight said with a skip, briefly wincing afterward. “We haven’t done any magical research in a long time; I’ve really fallen behind.”

Sunset was happy to slip back into a somewhat normal routine. Between graduation, the Sirens, and Rainbow being dumb, it had been hard to find a steady groove. Sure, she had to make a few concessions with Twilight’s new sword practice, but at least they still had time to spend together. With the sky clear and the sun shining bright, Sunset personally wanted to spend the day outside. But, if Twilight wanted to study magic, Sunset could oblige.

They reached Twilight’s house, and she made her usual routine of running to hide her sword in the garage before coming back around and entering through the front. “Dad, I’m back!” Twilight called, stepping into the front hall. She froze mid-step, and Sunset tumbled into her back.

“Hmph, is that how you announce yourself? Just barging in, hooting and hollering?” an old, husky voice said. “No respect, not even in your own house.”

Sunset gathered herself and looked over Twilight’s shoulder. A plump, elderly woman sat at the dining table, eyes narrowed in the girl’s direction. She had her gray hair tied into a tight bun and her skin was the same shade of purple as Twilight.

“Grandma Golden Light,” Twilight said, a nervous quiver in her voice. “Hi! How was your flight?”

“Terrible. Slow to take off and slow to pull in. And all these new security measures… in my day, you just showed your ID and walked through.” Golden Light paused and honed her hawk-like eyes on Sunset. “Well, don’t just stand in the doorway; it’s impolite! Introduce yourself!”

Sunset scrambled forward and stood as straight as she could. “Uh, I’m Sunset Shimmer, Twilight’s—”

“Friend! Best friend!” Twilight smiled widely and tapped her fingers together. Sunset raised an eyebrow but said nothing.

Golden Light continued to glare at her. “You need to tie that hair up or cut it. It’s not professional.”

“Okay?” Sunset said slowly, disliking this woman more and more as the seconds wore on.

“And what’s with that jacket? Are you in some kind of gang? Is she a bad influence on you, Twilight?”

Sunset narrowed her eyes. “I’m not in a gang, and I’ll have you know, I was our class’s salutatorian.”

Golden Light sniffed. “Well, it’s not like it was a private and prestigious school like Twilight’s old one. I don’t understand why you had to switch. It’s only an hour bus ride from here, I checked. I used to walk an hour to school each day.”

Sunset popped her jaw, ready to retort, but Shining hurried into the room, a bowl of spaghetti in his hand. “Here you are, Grandma.” He set it on the placemat in front of her.

“Is it heated all the way through?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

Golden Light turned and began twirling her pasta onto her fork. “You’re such a good boy, Shining. I can’t believe you’re settling for a disk jockey.”

“She’s the most popular radio show host in the city,” Shining said, trying not to press his teeth together.

Golden Light sniffed again. “She plays music over the radio. There’s plenty of far more respectable positions for a woman like her. I was a principal. At least you two are doing things worthwhile.”

“Yep!” Twilight said loudly, grabbing Sunset by the arm. “In fact, I’m about to go do more worthwhile things right now. Gotta get those scholarships! We’ll be in the lab, Shiny!”

As Twilight pulled Sunset forward, she caught the look in Shining’s eye that said, ‘please don’t leave me alone.’ Rounding the corner to the kitchen, Sunset heard Golden Light mutter, “Could have gone to Harvard.”

They hurried into the garage, and Twilight shut the door behind them before sighing and leaning against it. “I forgot she’d be here today.”

“She seems…” Sunset chewed on her tongue.

“Go ahead and say it.”

“Twilight, I hate her.”

Twilight massaged her temple. “She needs everything to be perfect, and even then, it’s still never good enough. She’s the most judgmental person in my entire family. And my great uncle Gavel is a judge!”

Sunset laid her arms atop one another. “Is that why you panicked and introduced me as your ‘friend’?” She made sure not to sound accusatory.

“Sorry, I panicked.” Twilight rubbed her shoulder. “No one outside my immediate family knows about my orientation, or that I have a girlfriend. I’ve been mentally readying myself to slowly come out at the wedding. I wasn’t prepared for you to meet her here.”

Sunset walked over and rested her hand over Twilight’s. “I never really worried about presenting myself. Both because I don’t care what anyone else thinks, and because in Equestria, gender norms are a lot more fluid than here. Go at your own pace, okay? The last thing I want to do is make you uncomfortable.”

Twilight groaned and tilted her head back. “And that’s why I want to tell everyone you’re my girlfriend! You’re just so… so…” She brought her head forward and kissed Sunset on the lips. “Perfect.”

“You and I both know that’s not true,” Sunset said, unable to get the giddy smirk off her face.

“Well, you’re close enough for me.”

Sunset leaned forward and kissed her back. “Same to you, Sparky. Now, do you wanna make out, or study magic?”

“Who says we can’t do both?”

*******

Moondancer reached and plucked a single piece of popcorn from the bowl before popping it into her mouth. Her eyes were fixated on the television screen before her. She still couldn’t believe she had watched so much of this silly, low-budget, science fiction show. But, Twilight adored it, and Moondancer could understand why, even if it was dated.

As visually unimpressive as it was, Moondancer wasn’t about to complain. She and Twilight sat on the couch, leaning against one another, a bowl of popcorn balanced between them.

“So these… Tarains…?”

“Tamarian,” Twilight corrected.

“Yes, these Tamarians only speak in allegories?”

“Correct!”

Moondancer took another kernel. “Fascinating. But, I can see several flaws in this language, even if you did grow up with it. If you had never heard the story the allegory was from, you would have no idea what someone was saying to you. Conversely, even if you had, allegories can have many different meanings.”

Twilight nodded, grabbing a handful and stuffing it into her mouth. She had enough manners to chew and swallow before speaking. “True, but I suppose it would be like someone using a word or phrase you haven’t heard before in our world.”

“Yes, but trying to learn the context behind it would take a considerable more amount of time.”

“Touché.”

Moondancer smiled and snuggled a little closer onto Twilight. She adored their time together, no matter what they did. Six years with no interaction with children her age, and now, she had been rewarded with this brilliant and adorable flower. She willed her fluttering heart to be still. Perhaps there would be time later to become something more. For now, Moondancer just wanted to savor this genuine friendship.

The episode ended, and the credits crawled across the screen. Twilight rested her head against the couch and looked up at the ceiling. “What do you think aliens are really like, Moony?”

Moondancer tilted her head back as well. “I know not. But, I’m certain that if anyone can find the answer, it is you, little star.”

Twilight made a sad chuckle. “You know I can’t ever be an astronaut.”

“You don’t have to leave our fair planet to make such discoveries. Perhaps you’ll be the one to pick up long-distance frequencies.” Moondancer sat up and splayed out her fingers. “Or, you shall be the lead designer of our first interstellar spaceship! They shall name it after you: the ‘Twilight Voyager’! Your name shall live on forever, sung through the cosmos for the brilliant mind I know you to have!”

Twilight’s laugh was more earnest this time. “Thanks, Moony.”

“Think nothing of it. I speak only the truth.”

They were five minutes into the next episode when Mrs. Velvet poked her head into the room. “Moondancer, your, er, driver is here to pick you up.”

Moondancer stifled a sigh. “Very well. Thank you, Mrs. Velvet.” She got to her feet and raised her arms over her head to stretch. “We will have to continue our Star Trekking another time.”

Twilight paused the T.V. and got up as well. “Yeah. I wish you could stay longer. Oh, we should have another sleepover this weekend!”

“That sounds lovely! I shall ask my father if it’s allowable.” Moondancer slipped on her shoes and grabbed her bag before heading to the front door. Porter stood on the porch, greeting her with a polite smile and a tip of his hat. Moondancer turned and gave Twilight a goodbye hug.

“When Odysseus returns to Penelope in Ithaca,” Moondancer said before releasing Twilight.

Twilight looked confused for a moment before her face broke into a wide, glowing smile. Moondancer gave a short curtsey and made her leave. Porter opened the door of the limo for her, and she settled in.

The warm bubble she had been carrying popped immediately when she saw who was sitting across from her.

Tempest had one leg crossed over the other, hand resting in her lap. “Having fun?” she asked in her usual, aloof tone.

“I was,” Moondancer said coldly. “What do you want?”

“I’m here to make sure you aren’t jeopardizing any of our plans. I still think it was a terrible idea to let you attend school, private or otherwise.”

Moondancer crossed her arms. “I haven’t breathed a word about your scheme to anyone. No one would believe me if I did.”

Tempest remained stone-faced. “You’re getting awfully close to that girl.”

“I’m allowed to have a friend, aren’t I?”

Tempest snorted. “Sure, keep your little playmate. Just remember…” She tapped a finger against the golden amulet around her neck. “If I find out you’ve said too much, she and you can go meet your dear mother.”

Moondancer bared her teeth but said nothing. Tempest didn’t need to threaten her; Moondancer had no intention of bringing Twilight into this conflict. She had finally found a friend, and she would do anything to keep Twilight safe.

*******

Laying on her bed, staring up at the canopy, Moondancer knew she could be making better use of her time. The garden had been tended to for the day. She didn’t feel like practicing the piano. She could read a book. Or maybe see her mother.

Moondancer cringed at the last idea. Going upstairs meant chancing another encounter with her father, and she had no desire or energy to do that.

A sigh left her lips. Lying in her room with nothing to do and no one to talk to… it reminded her too much of the time before she met Twilight. Oh, how she wished she could go back to the golden era where she could see her little star whenever she wanted. Freedom; delicious, intoxicating freedom.

Knock knock knock. “Lady Moondacer?” an old voice called through her door.

Moondancer groaned and forced herself into a sitting position before rolling out of bed. It was unladylike, but she dragged her feet across the carpet and opened up the door. “Yes, Porter?”

He held an envelope in his hand. “This arrived in the mail for you. It had no name, however, so I must admit, I am wary of it. I thought I should inform you before I throw it out.”

Moondancer gave the envelope a quick inspection. Her heart froze when she saw the handwriting on the front spelling out her name. She knew that penwork anywhere. “N-no! I will take the letter, Porter, thank you.”

She practically snatched it from his hand, taking it into her own trembling ones. “Um, please, do not tell anyone else about this.”

Porter gave her a confused look, but bowed.

“Thank you.” She shut the door quickly, mentally apologizing to him for her curtness. She ran back to her bed and tore the letter open, heart drumming in her chest. Twilight had wrote to her? Given her correspondence after all these weeks?

She froze before reading it. What if it was a formal declaration of the end of their friendship? What if she had just written to tell Moondancer what she already knew: that Twilight would never forgive her, no matter what. What if Twilight had found out about Jörmangandr and Moondancer’s involvement?

Moondancer set the letter on the bedside table. She couldn’t do it. Even if she already knew in her heart that Twilight was against her, she couldn’t bear to see it written out.

I should just throw it away. I don’t need another physical reminder of my treachery.

But it was a letter from Twilight, possibly the last letter she would ever receive. It had its own sweet sentimental value, even if the reasons why it was sent were grim. Twilight saw fit to write to her, that alone was cause for celebration, bittersweet as it was.

There was also the slim and meager chance that it wasn’t a letter of rejection. Moondancer shook her head. There was nothing else that could be in that letter. Twilight was sweet and altruistic, seeing the best in people. But even she wasn’t that pure-hearted.

Moondancer paced the floor, sparing a glance at the letter every time she turned. To read or not to read? She had nothing to lose. Of course, she had absolutely nothing to gain either. If she didn’t count potential heartbreak.

Her blisters seared with heat, and she yelled, pressing her hand against her mask at the surprise pain. The angry, burning welts contextualized the dilemma for Moondancer, at least. Whatever was in the letter couldn’t hurt more than this.

When the heat settled again, Moondancer took the letter into her shaking fingers. She sat on the edge of the bed, took a deep breath to settle her stomach, and began to read.

Dear Moondancer,

Writing this is… hard. I vented all of my feelings beforehand in a rough draft, and this is still hard. But I’m writing it anyway because I feel like I have to. I have things I need to say.

I’m hurt. That is the premise of my entire missive. Moondancer, you were my first friend, my best friend. You meant the world to me. So, seeing what you did, what you tried to do, what you’re a part of… I’m confused and angry. I re-read all of the letters you wrote to me while you were in France, how you were happy someone had come to my aid when I needed it, and that I had a friend to talk to while you were gone.

That made what happened at Prom hurt even more. Seeing how much you hated Sunset, how much you wanted to hurt her. And not just her, the rest of my friends… even me. Did you hate Sunset from the beginning? How much of that was the Archon Amulet and how much was you?

How could you do such a thing? What did Sunset do to deserve so much hatred? I told you how much she meant to me. She helped me when I needed it the most. I know now you liked me, but I thought you would be happy for me. This can’t just be jealousy—there has to be more here than that; something you won’t or can’t tell me. So, as angry and hurt as I am, I have to ask:

Are you okay?

That doesn’t absolve you of anything you’ve done. But I’ve seen Tempest Shadow. I know what she wants to do. And I can’t believe you would go along with it so willingly. You’re in trouble, I know you are.

I’m not ready to forgive you. I don’t know if I ever will be. But, in honor of our friendship, I still want to help you if I can. But you have to tell me what’s wrong. No lies, no secrets, no half-truths. Of course, I don’t know if you can. I don’t know how much trouble you’re in. I don’t know if you’ll even get this letter.

Even after writing this, I have so many emotions. I think, above all else, I’m sad. I’m sad that you resorted to such drastic and evil measures. I’m sad that I don’t know if I can ever trust you again. I’m sad that you might be in trouble.

If you are, and if you can, tell me. I’ll try to help you one more time.

Twilight Sparkle

P.S. Happy birthday.

The second half of the letter had been increasingly difficult to read due to the tears spilling from Moondancer’s eyes. She had been wrong; Twilight’s words hurt far more than the scars on her face, stinging now because of her tears.

Not a single exclamation point; just calm, collected anger. A quiet storm pulsing with electricity. Moondancer was left numb. She didn’t know what to focus on first. Of course her actions had caused Twilight pain, but the way she had written it out… Moondancer felt ill. She had shattered the trust Twilight had placed in her. It didn’t come as a surprise but it hurt all the same.

She cringed, seeing her actions at Prom replay in her head. Yes, Moondancer hadn’t quite been in her right mind, but the emotions she felt that night still came from her, even if the amulet dredged them up and amplified them to unhealthy levels. Even if she had been under orders, a reasonable human being would have refused and taken the fall instead of turning on her friend.

But I had to survive.

That didn’t excuse her actions, or wash away the grime of guilt covering her. Though the feeling of filth was why she still hadn’t put on the Archon Amulet since that night. She needed to find other ways to achieve her goal; ones that didn’t consist of her sinking even further into the mud.

It was too little too late though. The Spectacular Seven viewed her as an enemy. Perhaps it was better that way. Though, part of her regretted some of the potential friendships she had thrown away. Rarity seemed like a great girl. And Fluttershy had a gentle purity to her that Moondancer found attractive. She was also quite knowledgeable on plants and animals.

And then there was Sunset.

Moondancer clenched the letter, creating a deep crease. She regretted the parts she had played in stealing Sunset’s soul. She regretted hurting Twilight as a result. But that regret couldn’t drown out the hatred she felt for the succubus.

Sunset Shimmer. She had everything. She had come from virtually nowhere, stolen Twilight, moved in with Moondancer’s family, wielded incredible magical power. Her entire existence mocked Moondancer. No, there wasn’t a force on earth that could get Moondancer to change her mind about that. Perhaps Sunset wasn’t evil like she first thought, but she was still an interloper who had no place here.

Moondancer’s grip slackened. She raised the letter and read it through again.

Are you okay?

No. She wasn’t. Moondancer hadn’t been ‘okay’ in years. Nothing was okay. But she couldn’t tell Twilight that. She had wanted to keep Twilight as far away from this as possible. She supposed that was impossible now. But the less people who knew about her plan, the less chance of Tempest finding out. And Moondancer refused to give Tempest any more reasons to target Twilight.

Moondancer kept her eyes on the last lines of the letter. The desire to respond in any capacity burned like a fever. How she longed to talk to Twilight again. Given her way, she would spill all of her secrets. She would do anything to get Twilight to trust her again. But that wasn’t possible. Moondancer doubted it ever would be.

No, she wasn’t okay. And no, Twilight couldn’t help her. No one could.

She gave the letter one last glance, running a finger over the P.S. Twilight had scribbled in. Even after all of that, Twilight had remembered her birthday. Moondancer wanted to see that as a spark of hope, but she knew better.

She neatly folded the paper, flattening out the crease she had made, and tucked it under her pillow. Moondancer stood up to pace again. She was more restless than before now. Guilt would be eating at her heart for the rest of the day, and gloom sat heavy on her shoulders.

What was she to do now? She really wanted to write back to Twilight, even if it was just a simple hello, just to acknowledge that she had gotten the letter. But Twilight would be furious no doubt unless Moondancer wrote back something of substance; something that answered at least one of her questions.

What else could she do then? She had nothing to tend to, no one to talk to. She was trapped in this house, cut off from the outside world, with only her thoughts to accompany her.

The walls of her room loomed closer. She could hear the words of Twilight’s letter from under her pillow. They were loud, and matched up with the hurt look Twilight had given her.

She, Moondancer had been a bad friend. She had been a terrible friend. She didn’t need the letter yelling at her.

Maybe you do. Maybe you need another reminder of just how far down this slope you’ve fallen.

Moondancer’s chest tightened. Breathing was becoming a hassle, and her head felt light. Everything I’ve done has been to save the world. To save my mother!

At the cost of what? Innocent lives? Friendship? Your face?

Her left cheek prickled. Moondancer pushed it all away. She needed air. She needed to get away. She wanted to go outside and be free, even for just a moment.

And Tempest wasn’t here to stop her.

There was, of course, that nagging feeling that she somehow was watching Moondancer. But now, Moondancer didn’t care. She could make it quick, just as long as she got away for a little bit. She needed to get new seeds for her garden anyway, that would be her excuse.

Moondancer inhaled deep, clearing the blockage in her chest. She slipped her shoes on and pushed her room door open. She found Porter in drawing room, dusting one of the bookshelves.

“Porter, I would like to go into town please.”

Porter looked at her, a little unsure. “Is that, err, wise, My Lady?”

“It’s just one errand. No one has to know as long as we’re quick.”

Porter put his duster away and bowed. “Very well, Lady Moondancer.”

*******

They took the town car instead of the limo to be a little more discreet. Moondancer watched the elegant houses transition into more mundane living spaces. Sparkling fountains became tiny birdbaths, and four-car garages were reduced to just one.

The Upper Villa was primarily just real estate property for homes and condos. The closest shopping center was at the foot of the hill, but it lacked a quality flower store, meaning they had to drive a bit further into town.

Moondancer didn’t mind. Just watching the scenery fly past took away the claustrophobic feeling her manor had been imposing on her over the last month. The last time she had snuck out, it had been under the cover of darkness to do Tempest’s bidding. Right now, she could relax and enjoy herself.

Well, enjoy herself as much as she could with Twilight’s barbed words still nettling her. She wanted to tell Porter to take her to Twilight’s house, but the creeping idea that Tempest was somehow watching her gave her pause, even if she knew it was impossible. Furthermore, there was the likely possibility Twilight was with Sunset, and Moondancer had no desire to speak to her.

A simple drive would have to suffice. Canterlot was bathed in shades of green, from the emerald leaved trees, to the jade moss creeping up older buildings, to the yellowing lawns taking the brunt of the late spring sun.

The car pulled into the lot of a small shopping outlet on the edge of the middle-class suburbs. Moondancer had been here a few times with Twilight. There was a comic book store her brother would drag them into when he chaperoned them, and a candy store they would indulge in from time to time.

Moondancer stepped out, promising Porter she would return shortly. It was a warm day, but a pleasant breeze kept it from being uncomfortable. A few people stared at her as she passed, but Moondancer paid them little mind. She was used to the spotlight. Sure, it wasn’t positive this time, but she knew no one was bold enough to actually approach her.

‘Green Thumb’ was a mom and pop shop next to a convenience store and the comic shop. Moondancer had come here ever since she was a little girl with her mother. Rows of seeds, fertilizers, and pots greeted her, with houseplants sitting on shelves in front of the windows. It smelled of freshly churned dirt and budding flowers.

“Moondancer!” a cheery older voice called from the cash register. “It’s been a long— oh sweetheart, what happened to you?”

Despite telling herself she didn’t care what others thought and was prepared for the ogling and questions, Moondancer still reflexively put a hand against her mask. “Hello, Mrs. Flora. It’s nothing, really, just a little mishap.”

Mrs. Flora was the grandmother of the shop. She had flyaway gray hair that Moondancer could tell had once been a vibrant pink, and large eyes magnified buy her spectacles. She gave Moondancer a disapproving frown.

“That looks like more than just a ‘little mishap.’

Moondancer stepped closer, as to not drag the rest of the store into the conversation. “I had a disastrous run-in with a very angry avian. I assure you though, all will be well.”

Mrs. Flora narrowed her eyes. “Well… I at least hope whoever owned that bird is giving you some sort of compensation.”

“We’re working something out.”

Expression softening, Mrs. Flora said, “Good. Well, birds aside, how are you, dear? You haven’t come in in some time.”

“I’m fine,” Moondancer said, a lie so easy, she could tell it in her sleep. “School and work kept me busy, so I haven’t had time to visit my favorite store.”

“Oh that’s right! You’re all graduated now, aren’t you? Oh, congratulations!”

Moondancer smiled, easier when she only had to use half her face. “Thank you.”

Mrs. Flora clapped her hands. “So, what are you going to do next?”

“I’m going to take a year off to really think about what I want to do. Work for the family business for a while and earn my keep.”

“That’s a good plan,” Flora said with a nod. “College is expensive, even for someone like you. But, that’s future talk; what can I do for you today?”

Moondancer wandered toward the aisles. “Just seed hunting today. Whatever strikes my fancy.”

“Well, if you need any help, you know where I am.”

Moondancer nodded in gratitude before turning her attention to the rows and rows of seed packets. Summer was a week away, and she needed to finish rearranging the garden. Something to compliment the dahlias already growing. Perhaps even grow a few things on the balcony.

Gloriosas? Mmmm, a little bland. Oh, but zinnias have such a variety of colors. That could be fun. And I can never say no to a patch of sunflowers.

She pulled the packs from their shelves, genuinely smiling as she did. She could picture the arrangement in her head, seeing a palette of colors blooming in her backyard. Maybe she could grow some lavender near the gazebo.

Moondancer cringed sharply, dropping the bag of lavender seeds onto the floor. Twilight, and the delightful lavender scent she always wore burst into the forefront of Moondancer’s mind, and thinking of Twilight brought about thoughts of her letter.

Her smile faded. The store felt smaller than Moondancer remembered. Her thoughts were getting loud again. She didn’t deserve to plant lavenders after what she did to Twilight. More than that, as she looked down at the seeds, Moondancer knew she couldn’t plant these. Not without feeling this guilt.

When her fingers stopped shaking, Moondancer scooped the bag up and tucked it back onto the shelf. What she had now would suffice. It would keep her busy for a day or two.

“Moondancer?” a gentle and confused voice said.

Moondancer stiffened. She turned her head, breath catching in her throat.

Fluttershy stood at the other end of the aisle, a basket full of fertilizer over her arm. Her doe eyes were wide, and Moondancer could see apprehension, confusion, and a little fear.

“Umm… hello, Fluttershy.” Moondancer gave her a small wave.

“Umm… hi.” Fluttershy shuffled in place. “Wh-what are you doing here?”

Moondancer held her seeds up. “I, um, come here for my gardening supplies. I wanted to finish my summer arrangement.”

“Oh… I see.”

It was Moondancer’s turn to fidget. She could usually throw a guard up and establish some sort of performance, but she had never expected to run into any of Twilight’s friends here. And Fluttershy’s soft and fearful eyes made it harder.

“What brings you here?” Moondancer asked.

Fluttershy held her basket up. “Umm, I get my garden supplies from here, too.”

“Oh, I remember. You like to garden as well.”

“Yes, I help my mother with hers.”

Moondancer gave herself a sad smile. “I see. I used to do the same thing with my mother.”

Fluttershy gave a small nod. Both girls stood in place, occasionally fidgeting. Moondancer still couldn’t pick up her persona. She really hadn’t needed it since Prom.

Prom.

There was no doubt Prom was what Fluttershy had on her mind. She was sizing Moondancer up, deciding on whether to run and call her friends or not. She, Moondancer, was still the villain in Fluttershy’s eyes, and for good reason. Though Moondancer had to admit, Fluttershy was remaining surprisingly composed for the situation she was in.

Deciding now would be the best time to leave while the air was thick with awkward apprehension, Moondacer turned toward the register. “Well… it was nice to see you, Fluttershy. Take care.” A bit flippant, but it wasn’t like Fluttershy expected anything else from her.

“Wait,” Fluttershy said, quiet but surprisingly firm.

Moondancer turned back around. “Yes?”

Fluttershy bit her lip. “Why… why are you really here?”

Moondancer just held the seeds up.

“But, you’re… you’re…” Fluttershy fidgeted again, looking around like the words she wanted were printed on one of the fertilizer labels.

“I’m what?” Moondancer asked softly. “A villain? A monster? Even monsters have hobbies, sweet Fluttershy.”

“N-no, that’s not what I…” She straightened her back and took a deep breath, closing her eyes. She exhaled and opened them, revealing a sudden confidence that beguiled Moondancer more than her simpering eyes had. “You tried to hurt us. You did hurt Sunset. Twilight trusted you.”

Moondancer flinched hard, nearly dropping her items. It was like hearing the letter read out to her. She composed herself as best she could and said, “Yes, I did. I know.”

Fluttershy looked away again, her eyes settling on the lavender seeds Moondancer had put away. She fidgeted again, and just before Moondancer could finally pivot and walk away, she said, “I… I, um… I know how you feel, a little.”

“What do you mean?”

“I have a friend who I love very much but…” Fluttershy tapped her toe against the tiled floor. “She’s with someone else now.”

Moondancer clenched a fist and quickly released it. “I see. And how does that make you feel?”

Fluttershy wiped her eyes then looked back at Moondancer. “It hurt. A lot. I was even mean to the person she started dating… but that was wrong. Instead, I told her how I felt. It still hurts a little. Maybe I won’t be okay today, but I will be someday. And we’re going to keep being friends. I guess, in the end, I’m just happy she’s happy.”

Moondancer closed her eyes and eased into a smile. “You’re a kind and altruistic soul, Fluttershy. I hope you never lose that. Far better to take the high road than to do what I did.”

“But, why? Why did you do all of that? Do you really hate Sunset that much?”

Once again, Moondancer could hear Twilight’s letter, those exact words. She kept her eyes closed and said, “That’s not for you to know. I have my reasons, and though it means very little, I never intended for you to get caught in the crossfire.”

“That doesn’t excuse what you did.” Fluttershy sounded more like a disappointed parent than someone who had personally been harmed.

It was enough to get Moondancer to open her eyes, only to look away, unable to withstand Fluttershy’s withering glare. “I know. Of course, I wasn’t quite… in the right state of mind… but you’re right. It’s a moot point.” She swallowed the lump in her throat. “I’m sorry.”

Fluttershy didn’t respond immediately. Moondancer was about to use the pause as an out to finally walk away, but Fluttershy spoke just as she turned her foot. “Would you do it again?”

“Come again?”

“If you could do it again, would you? A lot of people say they’re sorry without meaning it. They’re sorry they got in trouble. My mom says, if someone’s really sorry, they would change their actions.”

Would she change anything? A better question was could she change anything. The premise would still be the same: her soul or theirs. Moondancer had to survive. She hated to think that way, weighing her life against someone else’s, but she was the only one who could defeat Tirek. It was all for a greater good.

If she could change things, she wouldn’t have tried to kill Sunset. Moondancer’s hatred of her ran deep, but death may have been a bit extreme, especially if it harmed Twilight in the process.

Moondancer clenched her free hand. She never would have attacked Twilight. Tempest’s orders be damned.

A tear snuck out of the corner of her eye. She wiped it away and said, “Only parts. I guess… I’m not as sorry as I thought.”

Yet, guilt and sorrow weighed her down like a lead balloon. It turned her stomach and sent goosebumps up her arms. The letter… this girl… today seemed fit to rub Moondancer’s mistakes in her face. She couldn’t stand to be in Fluttershy’s presence any longer. Her aura, her eyes, all they did was amplify the negativity eating Moondancer.

She turned away again. “I should go.” Fluttershy didn’t stop her thankfully. Moondancer presented her purchases to Mrs. Flora.

“There you go, sweetheart,” she said, putting everything into a paper bag. “You be sure to visit more often, okay?”

Moondancer gave her a small bow. “I will, I promise. Thank you for everything today.” She turned to go, and had a hand on the door when Fluttershy called out to her.

“Moondancer, wait.”

Against her better judgment, Moondancer paused and looked over her shoulder.

Gone was the burst of confidence Fluttershy had. Her shoulders were hunched, and she kept her hands pressed together in front of her chest. She looked like a flower in need of sunlight.

Eyes looking everywhere but at Moondancer, Fluttershy asked, “Do you… um… Moondancer, do you need help?”

Moondancer stiffened. Again, she could see Twilight’s letter before her eyes. I’ll try to help you one more time.

Twilight she could almost understand. Underneath her shy exterior was a compassionate soul. She still felt compelled by their friendship to at least offer a hand. But Fluttershy? Fluttershy hardly knew her. The last time Fluttershy had seen her, Moondancer tried to take her soul. Yet, she wanted to help?

It was hard, but Moondancer looked into Fluttershy’s eyes. Indeed, she could see the same level of compassion she had come to love in Twilight. It was actually quite astonishing. But, why? Why would Fluttershy offer to help? Moondancer had burned her bridges. Yet Fluttershy, and Twilight… even her father to some extent...

Another tear streaked down her face, followed closely by another. Her heart constricted, and her shoulders shook. It was like when she had spent the day with her uncle. Moondancer nearly broke, wanting so bad to spill everything she had been keeping secret. All her hopes and plans and lies made in desperation.

She quickly wiped her eyes. Even if she said yes, what could they do? What could anyone do? Sure, Fluttershy and her friends had flashy powers. With some training, perhaps they could serve as a notable distraction. But the rainbow they had… it reminded Moondancer of the stories of the Rainbow of Light. If it was anything similar, she couldn’t allow them to use it against Tirek. It would just be another seal, another stall until he found a way to come back again.

No, Moondancer had to end it. And she was the only one with that power.

Even still, a small part of her, the eight-year-old who had watched her mother fall to the floor, screaming as she stared into those lifeless eyes, she begged Moondancer to take the hand offered to her.

But she knew she couldn’t do that. Not now, not after everything she had already sacrificed to get this far. But perhaps, she could find a small middle ground. A small atonement for her actions at Prom.

Moondancer took a step toward Fluttershy and said in a soft voice, “Did you know magic used to be prevalent in this world? Abundant even. Then, it all just disappeared. Now, you girls are one of the last great sources of magic. Every time you do your extraordinary feats, the world seems to resonate and put out a little magic of its own.”

She dropped her voice even lower. “Imagine what someone could do if the world’s magic returned. Or if they could harness a direct source... if they could take yours for their own. Such great and terrible spells could be cast.”

Moondancer stepped back, watching Fluttershy rapidly blink her eyes. “You cannot help me, Fluttershy. I suggest you look after yourself and your friends.” She turned and pushed the door open.

“Moondancer…”

“I do regret that I cannot count myself among them.” Moondancer stepped into the afternoon air, leaving Fluttershy behind.

*******

She had just put on her sun hat and made it into the garden when she heard the whoosh of shadows gathering behind her. Moondancer braced herself and turned around, watching Tempest step out of her portal.

“Was your little excursion successful? You were gone a while,” Moondancer said, feigning interest.

Tempest narrowed her eyes. “Unfortunately, your uncle and cousin interfered with my plans. They sent the staff off to some unknown location, though I’m beginning to suspect where it might actually be.”

“Fascinating.” Moondancer picked up her spade and seed packets, and moved over to one of the small plots of barren earth.

“Well? I gave you a task to complete while I was gone. Or are you so incompetent, you couldn’t even do this simple thing?”

Moondancer stabbed the spade down and hauled up a larger chunk of earth than she intended. “I did your dirty work. ‘Spy on the Spectacular Seven and see if their powers develop.’ I even found an opportunity to test your little black magic experiment on them.”

“And?” Tempest asked, tapping her boot.

“From what I’ve seen, their powers only manifest when they’re in danger. The only development I saw was that they somehow managed to expel the magic you poured into that poor snake. And before you ask, no, I don’t know how. The connection orb went dark before it happened.”

Tempest growled. “No matter. As long as they’re still outputting magic. Anything else?”

Moondancer tore open a packet of seeds and placed one in the freshly dug hole. “They made friends with a boy who has magic that manifests as a guardian wolf spirit, and the Sirens. Though, ‘friends’ might be a bit of a stretch with the latter three. So would ‘allies’ actually.”

“Oh?” Tempest stepped through the dahlias, crushing them underfoot as she approached Moondancer, ignoring the outrage on her face. “Tell me more about this supposed alliance.”

Author's Note:

Alternate Chapter Title: The Path to Isolation

PreviousChapters Next