• Published 25th Sep 2016
  • 24,268 Views, 3,773 Comments

Spectacular Seven - Albi



As graduation draws near, magic begins to awaken in the human world, drawing out old rivals and opening the doors to new adventures. It's up to Sunset and her friends to keep Canterlot safe, all while dealing with their looming futures.

  • ...
 3,773
 24,268

PreviousChapters Next
11. Victory Run

As the last note of Twilight’s solo faded out, Sunset’s exuberant clapping held off the silence. Spike gave a few barks of approval as well, jumping onto Twilight’s bed after she set her violin down.

“Thanks,” she said, rubbing the palm of her bow hand. “I think that’s enough practice for now.”

“You’ve got every note down to a T,” Sunset said, sitting next to her. “You’ll sound great.”

She scratched Spike under the chin while she cuddled closer against Sunset. “Thanks. I’m just a little nervous. I always worry that I’m going to be that one person who forgets their notes and then the whole piece is ruined, and maybe the audience doesn’t notice but all of the other players do, and backstage they give you those looks of shame and—”

Sunset silenced Twilight’s rambling with a kiss. “Sparky, relax. We’ll all be there to cheer you on. If you get nervous, just look for us. But you’ll be fine. I’ve never heard a bad performance from you.”

Twilight’s ears turned red. “Thanks, Shim.”

Sunset cringed. “Okay, I’ve been meaning to talk to you about that. Not feeling the nickname anymore.”

Twilight stuck her lip out. “But, I thought you liked it. It’s cute.”

“Eeehhh.” Sunset moved her hand back and forth. “It’s… not bad. I just think we can do better. Or we can default to ‘Sunny.’”

“No, I want my own nickname for you. It’s only fair.” She knitted her brow, making the same determined face she wore whenever she solved a tough math problem. “Sunspot?”

“Nah.”

“How about… Sun Sun?”

Sunset sighed. “You know, a nickname doesn’t have to just be my name shortened.”

“I suppose not. But your name’s so pretty and versatile. It seemed easiest to make an abbreviation or alteration to it.” Twilight pursed her lips. “Crimson Snark.”

Sunset burst out laughing, falling back against Twilight’s bed. “Let’s save that as backup. I’m only saying that because I can’t deny it.”

Twilight made a short, disgruntled note in the back of her throat. “You’re very picky, you know that?”

“I prefer to think of myself as refined, darling,” Sunset said in her best Rarity imitation. She smiled when it got Twilight to laugh.

“Okay how about… umm…. Vesper Radiance?”

Sunset sat up and gave her a questioning smirk. “First, what? Second, that’s longer than my actual name. Kinda kills the point of a nickname. Third, that’s just a synonym of my name.”

Twilight threw her hands up. “I was trying to think outside the box!” She crossed her arms and huffed. “It sounded cool in my head.”

Sunset laid back down, placing her arms behind her head. “Vesper Radiance? I’ll save that if I ever become a villain again.”

Twilight fell into contemplation, leaving Spike’s jingling collar as the only sound in the room. Then, Twilight shouted, “Sunnykins!”

“Yeah?” Sunset turned her head to Twilight, catching her excited eyes. “Oh! Yeah…” Sunset smiled. “That’ll do.” She jabbed at Twilight. “But only when it’s just us.”

With a new nickname decided, Twilight packed up her violin and the two girls started on their weekend homework. Their teachers were adamant on working them hard until the final day of school. At two o’clock, Sunset packed up her stuff and slung her backpack over her shoulder.

“The symphony starts at six,” Twilight said she walked Sunset downstairs. “And they don’t let people in late, so please get there on time.”

“Don’t worry,” Sunset said with a wave of her hand. “Rainbow’s track meet should end at about five. After that, we’ll race over to the concert hall, piece of cake.”

Twilight leaned up and gave her a long kiss. “Okay then. Tell Rainbow I said good luck.”

“Will do.” Sunset gave a two finger salute and ran out to her bike. She made the short ride over to Canterlot High, parking a block away. Cars were already lined up on the streets, and the parking lot was absolutely full. She walked toward the stadium, packed with students and spectators, their cheers filling the open air.

Sunset found her friends sitting in the front row on the home side of the bleachers. Pinkie had her hair tied into two puffy pigtails, and two large pink pom-poms covered her hands.

Rock it to ‘em, sock it to ‘em!

“Bring up the score!

“Do it again, do it again!

“We want more! Whoooo, go Canterlot!” She waved her pom-poms around, jumped, and did the splits.

Sunset stepped around her and sat next to Rarity. “Have I missed anything?”

“A few races, but Rainbow wasn’t in them. She’s doing the one-hundred meter dash which I believe comes on in about twenty minutes.”

Sunset looked out across the field. The athletes of CHS wore light blue sweats and jerseys, while their opponent were clad in a dark purple. “Who are we facing again?”

Fluttershy’s face darkened. “Crystal Prep Academy.”

“Isn’t that where Twilight used to go?”

“Ah think so,” Applejack said. She leaned back against the bleacher. “At any rate, they have a tendency to beat us in just about anythin’.

“And they’re not even nice about it,” Fluttershy said. “They all love to gloat anytime they beat… well, anyone.”

“Just ‘cause they go to some fancy school that can hire professional trainers and buy them state of the art equipment…” Applejack grumbled out a few more choice words under her breath.

Pinkie bounced up from the ground. “They usually win. But I’ve got a good feeling about today! Plus, have you seen Dashie? She looks totally focused and in the zone!”

Sunset looked onto the field again, quickly finding Rainbow’s wild prismatic hair. She sat on the turf stretching out her calves. Indeed, even from her place on the sidelines, Sunset could see a fire in Rainbow’s eyes.

“Yeah, but in a contest like this, it’ll take more than one person having a good day to change the outcome, right?”

“You never know,” Pinkie sang. “Either way, I think she’s gonna have a good day. Go, Dashie, whooo!

Kick their butts, Rainbow!” Fluttershy bellowed.

They watched the men’s one-hundred meter dash first, witnessing Thunderlane lose by a hair’s breadth to Crystal Prep. The winner jogged over to the visitors side and made several dramatic bows. Back on the home side, Sunset felt the static charge of envy and frustration from the crowd behind her.

Rainbow stepped up to the line, jumping up and down to keep loose. She stood in lane three, between Flitter and a Crystal Prep girl with dark blue hair highlighted by a blue streak. The smug, pre-victory smile she wore made Sunset want to smack her.

Sunset and the girls pressed themselves against the rails of the bleachers to get the best view. As the starter walked up to the side of the track, Sunset could feel her own heart pounding in her chest.

The runners took their positions, squatting down and putting their back leg out, hands pressed into the track. The audience fell into a tense trance as everyone waited for the gun to go off. Even Pinkie and Fluttershy were silent in the calm.

Bang!

The calm shattered, and Sunset’s ears were met with loud shrieks of, “Go, Rainbow!” She joined in the frantic cheering as well, adding her voice to the swelling mass of encouragement.

Rainbow and the Crystal Prep girl broke away from the others halfway down the track. They remained neck and neck, arms pumping as hard as they could. Rainbow leaned her body forward as the finish line neared, trying to inch ahead of her opponent. The other girl wouldn’t be put back so easily, however. She drove her arms harder, pushing in front of Rainbow. Rainbow pushed back, creating a rapid back and forth all the way to the end. They both threw themselves across the finish line, running an extra twenty yards until they ground their heels to a halt.

“First, Crystal Prep!” the judge called.

“Augh!” Sunset threw her hands against her face and fell back into her chair, her crushing sentiment shared with the rest of the school. “She totally had that!” Down on the field, she saw Rainbow doubled-over, gasping for breath while the other girl stood over her, wearing her smug smile again. Rainbow flashed her a rude gesture and the girl laughed and walked away. “Man, I’m glad Twilight doesn’t go there anymore. I can hate them indiscriminately now.”

A few minutes later, Rainbow shuffled over, her forlorn frown dimming the fire in her eyes. “She beat me by a third of a second.”

Fluttershy reached a hand down and put it on Rainbow’s shoulder. “It’s okay. We think you did great.”

“Definitely one heck of a show to watch,” Applejack said. “Ah’m sure you’ll get her next time.”

Rainbow narrowed her eyes at the track. “After the four-by-four at the end, there might not be a next time for me. This is the last time we face Crystal Prep.” She punched her fist into her palm. “Just once I’d like to wipe that stupid grin off Indigo’s face!”

“We know you can beat her next time, Rainbow!” Fluttershy said. “We’ll be right here cheering you on!”

Pinkie rustled her pom-poms. “You’ve totally got it this time!”

Rainbow broke into a grateful smile. “Thanks, girls. In the meantime, I’ve got to rest up before the hurdles. See ya later!” She jogged back to the field.

“She does three events?” Sunset asked. “That’s pretty impressive.”

Applejack smirked. “Given her way, Rainbow would do all the events.”

The hurdle events wouldn’t start for another half hour. In the meanwhile, the girls got to watch more of the sprint races and some of the pole vaulting happening at the end of the field. Ditzy made an impressive vault over the previous Crystal Prep girl’s marker. She was so pleased with herself, in a hurry to get off the mat, she stumbled and landed on her face. A moment later, she popped up again, still smiling like a champion.

The girl hurdlers lined up at the end of the straightaway. Ten hurdles stood between them and the finish line. Rainbow’s rival didn’t partake in the event, leaving her to glow with confidence. She took her starting position with the other competitors and stared down her lane. The tense quiet came again when the starter raised his gun.

“You think she’s got this one?” Sunset whispered.

“I certainly hope so,” Rarity said back. “As… well, Rainbow as she can be, I hate seeing her spirits crushed.”

Bang!

Seven girls took off down the track, their steps precisely measured as they approached the first hurdle. Rainbow leaped into the air, clearing it with ease and taking a slight lead. She cleared another one, and another, making her way toward the finish line. Sunset saw a grin overcome her face, not just one of someone who knew they were winning—it was a smile of someone who loved what they did. Like Twilight playing her violin or Rarity sewing her dresses. Rainbow was in her element and enjoying every second of it.

Evidently, Fluttershy had landed on a similar train of thought for she was no longer yelling at the top of her lungs. She merely watched in awe as Rainbow took a clear lead and cleared the last hurdle and sprinted across the line.

“First, Canterlot High!”

A cheer rose up from the crowd, followed by an encore when Canterlot took second as well. Rainbow threw her hands behind her head and took a deep breath, but she couldn’t hide her wide smile.

Leaning on the rail, Sunset turned her attention to Fluttershy, wiping a tear away. “You okay?”

“Mmhmm.” She looked out at Rainbow. “I’m just really happy she gets to do this. She was so sad and scared when she broke her collarbone. I hate seeing her like that.”

Sunset smiled. “Well, it’s thanks to you she’s out here.”

Fluttershy looked down at her hands. “I know. I just wish I knew how I did it.”

Rainbow stopped to talk to her dad at the other end of the home stands, then moved down to the girls. “First place and a new best time! Suck it, Indigo!”

“Congratulations, dear,” Rarity said, keeping a fair distance from Rainbow’s sweaty face.

“You were amazing, Rainbow! Those girls were trying so hard to catch up, but you were all like ‘psshh, I’m Rainbow!’ And you smoked ‘em!” Pinkie said.

“You gonna have enough energy for the last race?” Applejack asked.

Rainbow took a deep breath and nodded. “I’ve got a little over an hour until then. Plenty of time to get my strength back.”

Sunset checked her phone. It was a quarter till four. Almost on schedule. Rainbow went to go cool down before joining them in the stands to watch more of the events. Brawly Beats took first place in the mile for Canterlot High, with Curly Winds doing the same for the two mile.

While Fluttershy had fallen back to her usual demure quiet, Pinkie kept her cheers going with no signs of tiring out.

Give it a throw!

"Give it a dash!

“Come on, Canterlot!

“Kick their—”

“Pinkie!” Rarity said with a gasp.

Pinkie turned around and blushed. “Sorry. Got a little too into it for a second.”

As the girls started their two-mile race, Rainbow got up and stretched. “Better start getting ready. I’m up in two races.”

“You can do it, Rainbow!” Fluttershy cheered as she walked away.

Watching the girls make their second lap around the track, a wistful sigh escaped Sunset. “You know… looking back… I really wish I had done things differently.”

“What do you mean?” Rarity asked.

Sunset curled her fingers over one another. “I spent my entire school career driving people apart and manipulating everyone just so I could win a couple of school dances. All of that planning, and what have I got to show for it? Rainbow gets to look back and remember hard won games and a few trophies. When I look back…” She didn’t even know how to finish the sentence. What would she see when she looked back?

“You’ll see us!” Pinkie said shaking a pom-pom in Sunset’s face. “Think of all the things you’ve done this year! You’ve made friends! You put together one of the best dances ever! You helped beat evil fish monsters! You had a late start, but you still did some super fun and super awesome things!”

“I know, but… three years of my life practically wasted over revenge…” A familiar hollow void pulled at her insides. She cupped a hand to the side of her face. She had wasted years on half-baked ideas and maybes while she played princess of a high school.

Another hand curled around hers and gently pulled it away. Applejack smiled at her with sisterly warmth. “You gotta take the good with the bad, sugarcube. No life is perfect, let me tell you that. And sure, you struggled a lot. But look where you are now. That’s all that matters.”

Applejack’s warmth drove the void away. Sunset still had words to contest the point made, but found they died in her throat before she could voice them. She was among friends and she had to enjoy the time she had left. “Thanks, girls.”

Rainbow ran back to them, an anxious grin wobbling on her face. “Bulk just blew away Crystal Prep with his last shot put throw! We’re down by ten points!” She looked over at the race still in progress. “Even if Cloudchaser gets second, as long as we win the four-by-four relay, we can beat Crystal Prep!”

The girls all jumped up and cheered, Sunset especially, feeling her fire rekindled. “Go for it, Dash, you can do this!”

“Oh yeah!” She clenched her fists. “I’m the anchor for the team. And there’s no way I’m going to let them and the rest of the school down now! I’m going to win this thing and show those prep school snobs not to mess with the Wondercolts!” She pumped her fist into the air, and a blue light burst from around her.

Sunset shielded her eyes from the brief flash. When she looked again, Rainbow had dawned her pony ears and wings. “Horsefeathers!” She and the girls quickly circled around Rainbow to keep her from view.

“What happened?” Rainbow asked, examining herself while she floated an inch off the ground.

“I don’t know but turn it off,” Sunset hissed.

“I don’t know how! I don’t even know how I turned it on!”

Sunset made an uneven smile as a group of onlookers glanced in their direction. “Try thinking about being normal or something,” she said from the corner of her mouth.

Rainbow closed her eyes and scrunched her face up. She inhaled and held her breath, but only resulted in turning her cheeks purple. “It’s not working!” she said with a dramatic exhale. “I can’t go out there with these! People are gonna know something weird is going on!”

“Maybe it’ll go away on its own,” Rarity said with desperate optimism.

“We don’t have time for that! I need to go warmup and practice the baton pass!”

Sunset opened her mouth to make another suggestion, but a second, smaller flash of light cut her off. When it faded, Rainbow was back to normal, running her hands across her head to make sure her ears were in the right spot.

“Or, that could happen.” Rainbow stepped out from the protective circle. “Stupid freaky magic powers. Whatever, as long as it doesn’t happen again.” She gave the girls a quick wave and dashed off.

Applejack crossed her arms. “So, Sunset, got any ideas?”

“I’m just as clueless as you are. All I know is, Twilight is going to flip when she hears about this.” They settled in and waited for the last races to begin. Sunset pondered to herself in the meanwhile, trying to think of possible answers to this new mystery of magic. First Fluttershy, now Rainbow. More proof that maybe their magic has grown so much, they don’t need music. But there still has to be some sort of catalyst…

The runners for the four-by-four hundred meter race lined up on the side of the starting line. Flitter started for CHS, tossing the blue baton up and down a couple of times before gripping it tight. Sunset saw Indigo lined up with Rainbow, sparks flying each time they glanced at one another.

“One final race to determine which team is greater,” Pinkie said dramatically. “Eight runners pitched in one-on-one sprints to the finish.” She sprung into the air. “You can do it, Canterlot!

The first two girls lined up at the starting line. With all of the other events complete, every eye rested on them. The starter raised the gun, and the crowd held its collective breath.

Bang!

Flitter and her opponent tore off the line, keeping shoulder to shoulder with each other around the first turn. Flitter kept a narrow lead coming down the first straightaway, but Crystal Prep wouldn’t be so easily denied. The girl kept pace with Flitter, overtaking her as the came into the second turn.

The crowd cheered in full force. Screams and chants clogged the suburban air and rocked the stadium itself. Sunset joined them but held some of her enthusiasm back, waiting for Rainbow to take the stage. The two runners charged down the second straightaway to their seconds, hands extended to pass the baton. Both teams executed the hand-off flawlessly, with Lily taking Flitter’s place. Though her movement was quick, Crystal Prep began to slowly open a gap. Canterlot responded with fervor, encouraging Lily to stay strong and run faster. She complied, and while she couldn’t catch up, she stopped the gap from widening.

Lily handed the baton off to the freshman Vapor Trail who took out of the gate with shocking speed. Rainbow stepped up to the line, and watched her teammate edge closer to the front-runner. Indigo stood at Rainbow’s side, twisting her torso back and forth, a victorious grin still on her face.

Sunset gripped the railing, holding her breath as Vapor Trail came down the stretch, holding the baton. Even from the stands, Sunset saw the beads of sweat gathering on Rainbow’s brow, and the fidget in her eyes. The distance had closed, but Indigo still got her baton first, the Crystal Prep side of the stadium roaring with triumph. Rainbow took her baton, only for her fingers to bump against it, sending it spiraling into the air.

In that brief second, all of Canterlot High stopped breathing, their hearts frozen in their chests. Eyes wide with horror, Rainbow pivoted on her foot and reached her hand up, yanking the baton down and throwing herself forward at the same time. The students breathed again as Rainbow took off after Indigo, now twenty yards ahead of her.

“Come on, Rainbow!”

“You can do it!”

“Kick her butt, Dashie!”

“The only one yer allowed to lose to is me!”

Fluttershy just let out a loud scream of passion.

The volume of the stadium increased as, to Canterlot’s delight, Rainbow closed in on Indigo. Halfway down the back straightaway they were neck and neck, bumping elbows against each other. A fire glowed in Rainbow’s eyes, and as Sunset watched closer, that glow manifested around Rainbow’s whole body. She pulled away from Indigo in the final turn, the crowd going insane. Looking between her friends, Sunset saw their cheers had faded as well, replaced by surprise and concern.

This can’t be good.

It happened so fast, Sunset couldn’t explain it beyond saying it was magic. Rainbow had come out of the turn, blue sparkles pouring off her, Indigo right on her heels. Then, for only two brief seconds, Sunset saw nothing but a multicolored blur. Indigo was suddenly alone. It wasn’t until Sunset, along with everyone else in the crowd looked down past the finish line to see Rainbow doubled over but looking just as confused as everyone else.

“Uh… Canterlot first?” the announcer said as the stadium fell into a quiet murmur.

Indigo crossed the line at a much slower pace, eyes wide and mouth open in soundless astoundment. She pointed at Rainbow and said something, and Rainbow merely shrugged.

“Can someone explain what just happened?” Applejack asked.

“I think Rainbow just became the fastest girl alive,” Pinkie said.

“And in front of hundreds of people,” Sunset said, eyeing the baffled crowd.

Rarity made an uneven laugh and pulled on her twisted locks. “I’m sure we can explain away what the audience did or didn’t see, right?”

“Just act casual,” Sunset said, watching Rainbow talk to the official. “If anyone asks, we saw her cross the line, nothing out of the ordinary.”

On the field, she saw the team beginning to come out of its shock to celebrate their come-from-behind victory. Indigo still looked more confused than angry, though there was a disgruntled flush to her cheeks. Eventually, another official ran over to the first and whispered into his ear. He shrugged and gave a thumbs up for the crowd to see. Rainbow jumped and punched the air before being swarmed by the rest of the track and field team.

“Canterlot High wins!”

The Spectacular Seven took a sigh of relief before joining in the jubilant celebration, ignoring the dissent cries of Crystal Prep. After the initial wave of team hugs and celebratory high fives, the girls made their way down to the field and pushed through the crowd. Rainbow stood in the nexus of admirers, looking surprisingly bashful instead of her usual post-victory pride.

“You moved so fast on that last push, I swear I didn’t see you!”

“Yeah, me too! I must have zoned out or something!”

“You were like a blur! One second you were next to Indigo, then you just smoked her!”

Rainbow laughed and shuffled her feet. “Well, you know me. Just doing my best for the team.” She looked at her approaching friends and gladly left her adoring entourage. “I swear, I didn’t mean to do whatever just happened,” she said in an urgent whisper.

“We figured as much.” Sunset took her by the arm, recoiling at the warm sweat coating her. They moved over to the corner where the noise was a slight decibel lower. “So first, Fluttershy heals your shoulder, and now, you can run at the speed of sound.”

Fluttershy threw her hands in front of her mouth. “I infected you! Oh no, I’m so sorry! This is all my fault!”

“Fluttershy, calm down. I don’t think it works like that.” Although Sunset wasn’t ready to rule it out altogether. She turned her attention back to Rainbow. “Before you went all superspeed, did you feel anything?”

Rainbow leaned her head back as she thought. “I guess I kinda felt a little tingly? I mean, I didn’t feel anything out of the ordinary: heart pounding, lungs trying to burst, muscles telling me to stop.”

“What about emotionally?”

“Well, I remember feeling I had to win otherwise I would let the whole team down. And the urge to beat Indigo just so I wouldn’t have to hear her gloating.”

Sunset cupped a hand against her mouth and hummed. “This is definitely something we need to look into later. I think we dodged a bullet this time, but between the Battle of the Bands and now, there’s been too much magic popping up for my liking.” She pulled out her phone. “Pegasus droppings! It’s already 5:15! We have to go!”

“Aw man.” Rainbow jerked a thumb back to the huddle of her teammates. “We still have to have our meeting, and I need to take a shower. You go on without me and tell Twilight I said to be awesome!”

“Got it! Come on, girls!” Sunset started a light jog toward the street.

“We’ll meet you there, Sunset!” Rarity said. “Don’t let us slow you down! You’re the one she wants to see the most.” She winked.

Sunset would have loved to retort but decided to let Rarity have her fun and moved onto her motorcycle. She pulled her helmet on, turned on the engine, and pulled out onto the street. With the meet over, traffic around the school piled up, forcing Sunset to go slow and wait in line for her turn at the intersections. With the clock ticking in her head, it was agonizingly slow. She finally escaped the crowded roads and zipped along to the freeway entrance. The setting sun glared at her from her side view mirrors as she headed east for the city.

She had no idea how much time she had wasted in the suburban streets, so she put the pedal to the metal and watched her speedometer tick up to 70 mph. She didn’t maintain the speed for very long, remembering how the universe liked to mess with her at the most inconvenient times. It would be her luck to get pulled over today of all days.

The looming spires of the city drew ever nearer. Set against the orange sky, it was a picturesque look. She briefly admired it while she weaved between slower moving cars, shifting her focus entirely when she came up on a familiar looking black limousine. As she rode past it, she tried to look into its tinted windows, but only saw her reflection. Still, she had a very good idea about who was on the other side.

Suck it, Moondancer, she thought as she pushed ahead. Her exit was only one stop away now. As she pulled out to the exit lane, her bike made an unusual tremble, and a sputtering sound came from behind her.

“Baby, what’s wrong?” Her motorcycle lurched again, and she could feel it slowing down despite giving it an extra throttle. She pulled off the road and slowed down, finding it near impossible to speed up again. The lights on her dashboard blinked, taking longer and longer to come back on each time. With a pitiful growl, her bike came to a complete stop.

Moondancer’s black limo drove by. Sunset watched it turn onto the off-ramp and head deeper into the city. Coincidence? If it is, I’ll eat my jacket. She turned off the dying engine and pulled off her helmet uttering a curse lost in the noise of traffic. She pulled out her phone, reading 5:34 on the screen. She still had time to make it. The question was, did she wait here and hope her friends drove past in time, or did she take her chances and try to get there on her own?

“I’d have to run the whole way there. And I’d have to leave my bike somewhere.”

Yeah, but it’s for Twilight. She’d do the same thing for you.

What does it matter? You’re not going to stay with her for much longer. So you miss her symphony. Maybe that’ll make saying goodbye easier.

She’s still your friend. She still wants your support. You saw how nervous she was this morning. Plus, do you really want to miss her playing violin?

The decision had already been made with Sunset’s legs carrying her and her bike down the exit ramp. It took her a second to come out of her thoughts and see herself moving on instinct. She wanted to say, ‘take that!” but she wasn’t sure to who.

Sunset got off the freeway and headed in the direction of Serenade Hall, walking her motorcycle in the bike lane and getting many odd looks from both pedestrians and other drivers. She finally found an open parking lot she could stash it in until she could get it towed back home. After she stuffed her helmet in the compartment under the seat, she broke into a brisk jog. “I can totally get there in twenty minutes! No problem!”

Having rarely visited downtown, Sunset had few landmarks to go on. She stopped at every street light to check the slow loading map on her old phone. Even so, she felt she was making good time, at least until she came up to a ‘road closed’ sign on her direct path. She turned back to the previous block to circle around it.

“The only reason I’m not mad,” she said under her breath, “is because this still beats getting pulled over for speeding.”

She increased the speed of her jog as her minutes ticked away. Thanks to the detour, she had to go two blocks north before she could get back to her path, and she was down to eleven minutes until the show started. Dropping any sense of courtesy she had, Sunset pushed her way past and around other pedestrians. She nearly knocked over an old woman, and while she shouted an apology over her shoulder, Sunset didn’t bother to check if she was okay.

Karma can pay me back later.

Serenade Hall came into view, with only one busy intersection left for Sunset to cross. She jabbed the crossing button several times and pulled her phone out again. 5:59. Hopefully the attendants weren’t as strict as Twilight said they were and would wait an extra minute or two before closing the doors. The concert hall was a modest sized domed building with a glass front. The front lights came on against the setting sun and showered the glass in a wave of changing colors.

The light changed and Sunset broke into a sprint, understanding how Rainbow felt during her races. She took the front steps three at a time and burst through the doors to the main lobby just as the attendant was closing the theater doors shut.

“Hold on!” Sunset said running up to them. “I’m not late!”

The man looked at her dully for a second, then rolled his eyes and opened the door for her.

She snapped her fingers and winked at him. “Thanks!” The lights of the theater hall dimmed as Sunset walked down the center aisle, purple velvet chairs fanning out on either side of her. Near the middle of the front three rows, she saw the backside of some familiar heads. She hurried down and took the only open seat left. To her dismay, it was next to Moondancer.

“What took you so long?” Rarity whispered from the row behind them. “You’re almost late.”

“The point is, I’m not.” Sunset shifted her eyes to her left. “Moondancer,” she said flatly.

Moondancer kept her eyes on the curtains. “So glad you could make it, Sunset. I was worried for a moment that you would miss out.”

“I don’t know what you did, but I know you did it.”

“I genuinely have no idea what you’re talking about,” she said with a straight face.

“Ladies and gentleman,” an announcer said through the PA system, “please welcome the Canterlot High Junior Orchestra.”

The audience clapped politely as the curtain rose revealing three rows of well-dressed students and their instruments. Sunset’s eyes locked onto Twilight, sitting in the front row, first chair from the center. She wore the outfit Moondancer had bought for her, a purple button-up blouse with a black jacket, and a long midnight blue skirt with glittering stars.

Twilight spared a glance from her score, smiled, and looked away.

Their conductor, Miss Harmony gave a brief bow, then turned to her students and lifted her baton. Off they went, violins, violas, cellos, flutes, drums, and horns all playing together in harmony and filling the room with sweet music. Sunset’s ear picked out Twilight’s part and followed along, getting lost in her artistry alone. Her sound wrapped around Sunset like silk ribbons—decorative and beautiful ornamentations that completed the present that was the orchestra.

During some of the slower pieces, Twilight would look up again. Every time, Sunset would see a hint of apprehension on her face, then her eyes would fall onto her friends and family, and she would smile.

When the first song finished and the audience broke into applause, Sunset forgot her place for a moment. She jumped and cheered, shouting, “Great job, Sparky!” She was promptly shushed by the surrounding crowd. “Right.” Face red, she sunk back into her seat. If there was any consolation, it was that she had gotten Twilight to blush too.

An hour later, the students stood and took their final bow. It was only now that wild clapping was deemed appropriate. Parents and friends whistled and cheered, and some, including Moondancer, threw roses onto the stage. Twilight waved, grinning from ear to ear.

Families crowded the lobby as they greeted and mingled with the performers. “I’m so happy you call came to see Twilight,” Velvet said. “It’s so sweet of you.”

“We were more than glad to do it,” Rarity said. “Some of us don’t get the pleasure of hearing wonderful performances anytime we’d like.” She gave a sly grin to Sunset.

Once again, Sunset meant to supply a retort, but Twilight emerging from the back room cut her off. Velvet embraced her first, kissing her repeatedly on the forehead.

“Oh, baby, you were so wonderful up there!”

“Mom, stop. Please,” Twilight said between her mother pinching her cheeks. “Dad.”

Night Light eased Velvet off her. “You did a great job, sweetheart.”

Twilight clutched her violin against her front. “I don’t know. I think I fell flat in a few places. And I may have started a half second too soon in the second half of—”

“Nonsense, my little star!” Moondancer swooped over and hugged her tight. “Your performance was enough to please the gods themselves! Every stroke, every note, every action was pure poetry!”

“What she means is…” Sunset slipped in front of Moondancer when the hug ended. “You were great, Sparky and we loved every minute of it.”

Twilight’s cheeks turned red. “Thanks, Sunnykins.”

Applejack snorted. “Sunnykins? Oh boy wait till Rainbow—.”

Sunset wheeled around and pointed threateningly at her. “One word out of any of you, and I’m punching you in the teeth.”

*******

Moondancer crossed the threshold into her home a little after nine, her soul uplifted by Twilight’s performance. Of course, Sunset had managed to make it to the concert hall, but nothing was perfect.

“Ahem.” It was said rather than made.

Hiding her displeasure behind a thin smile, Moondancer turned to Tempest, standing in front of the door to the parlor. “It’s after eight. Don’t you have your own hovel to sleep in?”

Tempest merely gestured with her hand to follow. Moondancer did as asked, finding an extra guest waiting for them. Lamia sat slumped in a chair, eyeing Tempest with open disdain. Moondancer took an armchair close to the unlit fireplace, placing herself between Tempest and Lamia. The hatred and loathing flowing through the room made Moondancer's skin crawl.

“All right, Moondancer,” Tempest said in her infuriatingly neutral tone. “I’ve waited long enough. I want a report on what you’ve found. Or have you spent the entire time flirting with that Twilight Sparkle?”

“I have been giving my mission due diligence,” Moondancer said, crossing her arms. “There’s an art to espionage for those who lack brute force.”

Tempest rolled her eyes. “Spare me your excuses and tell me what you know so far.”

Moondancer made a mock courtesy in her seat. “I have confirmed what information our dear friend Lamia shared with us.”

Lamia made a snort and slumped further in her seat.

“The other Sunset Shimmer is not of this world. She came here via some sort of gateway after stealing a relic from her own world. However, the relic is gone, and the gate is closed. In their place is a unique magic that seems to only manifest when they play music.”

Tempest placed her hand her chin. “Hmm. It almost sounds like the Rainbow of Light.”

“No,” Moondancer said firmly, “a parallel, perhaps, but it is gone. They’ve never encountered the real thing. The source of the magic they’ve obtained appears to be inaccessible, but judging by the Battle of the Bands, they’ve absorbed some of it. That could continue to prove beneficial to us if we draw it out in the right way. Just look at the amount of magic we’ve gathered already.”

“That’s… true,” Tempest said with an aggravated nod of acknowledgement to Moondancer. “Perhaps we could make use of them for a while. Is that everything?”

“Not quite,” Moondancer said. She pursed her lips in thought. “While the majority of them are harmless enough, there remains the other Sunset. Her magic is… different. Stronger even. And tinged with darkness. She seems afraid of it.”

Tempest looked over at Lamia.

“Don’t look at me,” she said with an annoyed shrug. “I don’t remember her saying anything about that. Besides, she seems too touchy-feely to have ‘dark powers.’”

Moondancer steepled her fingers together. “Dark powers or not, her magic comes directly from her homeworld. That could be dangerous to us.”

“Anyone going to tell me what you guys are actually doing?”

Tempest ignored her. “If we could take her power and make it our own… this other Sunset could be useful to us. Besides, the soul of your doppelganger, Lamia…” Tempest fiddled with the amulet around her neck. “I’m interested to see it. You are to bring her to me.”

Lamia sat up, eyebrows raised. “You want what? I’m sorry, did I forget to mention the part where she hates me? I doubt she’d be down for a field trip anywhere.”

Tempest rose from her seat, black wisps snaking out of her left sleeve. “I’m sure you’ll find a way. As long as it’s discreet. Consider this your revenge if it helps motivate you.”

“Well, when you put it like that…” Lamia stood and stretched. “But just so we’re clear, this is the only order I’m doing willingly.”

“Whatever puts you to sleep at night.”

Moondancer stayed in her chair, watching the other two women depart. A slimy knot twisted in her stomach. She had just condemned Sunset to a grim fate. At the same time, she would finally see what Sunset was truly made of. And if there was a spell over Twilight, this would surely break it.

But if Sunset was innocent?

She brushed the thought away. Innocent or not, Sunset had crossed too many personal lines for Moondancer’s liking. If this meant she wouldn’t have to put up with Sunset any longer, she could handle a little more guilt on her soul.

Moondancer rose from her chair and swept out of the parlor. “Bishop takes knight. Have a good sleep, Sunset Shimmer.”

Author's Note:

Alternate Chapter Title: Dashpoint

Playtime is over.

PreviousChapters Next