• Published 25th Sep 2016
  • 24,316 Views, 3,776 Comments

Spectacular Seven - Albi



As graduation draws near, magic begins to awaken in the human world, drawing out old rivals and opening the doors to new adventures. It's up to Sunset and her friends to keep Canterlot safe, all while dealing with their looming futures.

  • ...
 3,776
 24,316

PreviousChapters Next
7. The Great Laser Offensive

Sunset slammed the door behind her and leaned against the frame.

It’s just day one. Remember your first day? Your jacket got eaten by a goat and you screamed at Fluttershy. All in all, this wasn’t as bad as it could have been.

Sure, Aria had nearly fought an old lady, and yes, there was a near shoplifting incident at the grocery store. But, Sunset remembered that they had been evil a lot longer than she had. The Sirens had a longer hill to climb. That still didn’t stop the headache pounding at the front of her skull.

“Hey.”

Sunset looked down from the ceiling, delighted to find Twilight standing at the entrance to the kitchen. She gave an awkward smile and a wave.

“Hey.” Sunset set down the bag she had been holding and moved toward her. Twilight met her halfway and they hugged, Twilight resting her head in the crook of Sunset’s neck. Twilight was a lavender-scented balm, her touch instantly ebbing Sunset’s headache.

“How was practice?”

“It was good.” Twilight pulled out of Sunset’s embrace but held onto her arms. She took a breath and held it for a few seconds before speaking. “Listen, I know I’m being a hypocrite in not wanting to give the Sirens a chance. I’m just… scared of what they could do to us… to me.”

Sunset gave her arm a gentle squeeze. “No, I get it. I’m sorry I kinda guilt tripped you all into going along with this. I just couldn’t turn away someone asking for help. They went through the same things I did. I guess I just wanted to stop myself from being a hypocrite. But, maybe that makes me selfish.”

“It doesn’t.” Twilight sighed. “It makes you incredible. You can empathize with them. I can’t. But I can empathize with you, wanting to help someone really sour and mean.”

Sunset chuckled.

Twilight slid back into their embrace, resting her head against Sunset again. “I’m scared; I can admit that. And I’m not ready to forgive or trust them. But I trust you. So, if you think reforming them is the best thing to do, then I’ll go along with it for now.”

“That’s all I’m asking. I won’t make you do anything you aren’t comfortable with.” Sunset cleared her throat. “But, I did think of a good social activity that might help push things in the right direction.”

Twilight looked up at her. “What?”

“We could invite them to Rainbow’s birthday?”The look Twilight gave over her glasses already spoke volumes. “No?”

“Oh boy.” Twilight closed her eyes, taking a moment for herself. “It’s not up to me. It’s her birthday, so if she says she’s fine with it, then so am I.”

Sunset kissed Twilight’s forehead. “It’s just laser tag. It should be fine. Maybe. But, if any of them personally hurt you, I’ll snap their necks. I won’t need a rainbow.”

“Maybe don’t snap their necks? You know I don’t advocate for violence.”

“Didn’t you punch someone while I was unconscious? And you’re learning swordplay.”

Twilight’s blushed. “That was a one-time, heat of the moment thing! And this is just for self-defense, or if some monster shows up!”

Sunset gave her a vixenish smile. “One-time, huh? Need I remind you about Lyra?”

Twilight turned even redder. “W-well, yeah, b-but…”

Sunset nipped at her nose. “I like it when you get fired up over me.”

“Really?”

“Oh cool, are you two about to start making out?” a dry voice said from the top of the stairs. “Can I take pics? I’m sure I can sell them for a good price.”

The bubble of mirth building inside Sunset popped instantly. Shimmer leaned against the banister, a phone raised in one hand.

“I’ll call it ‘lesbians in love’,” she said with a bored smile.

Sunset gave her an aggravated glare. “You are literally the worst.”

“Awww, you think I care about your opinion.”

Twilight shuffled away from Sunset and toward the door. “I should probably head home; it’s getting late. It was, uh… nice to see you again, Shimmer.”

“No need to lie to spare my feelings.” Shimmer turned back for her room. “See you around, Slippy.”

Sunset cocked her head. “Slippy?”

Face pink again, Twilight mumbled, “Don’t worry about it.” She opened the front door, letting in a gust of cool evening air. Sunset walked her out, kissing her one more time on the porch.

“See you tomorrow?”

Twilight nodded eagerly. “We should do some more work on my scholarship projects. Oh, and don’t forget to get Rainbow a birthday present!”

Sunset waved a hand. “Relax, I’ll just get her a mirror. She loves herself enough, should be the perfect gift.”

Twilight snorted and gave Sunset a light punch on the arm as she turned for home.

“You really like hitting people, don’t you?”

“No, I just like hitting on you!” Twilight called over her shoulder.

Sunset thought for a second, then facepalmed.

*******

“Sooo… is this one a date?”

Rainbow bit into her churro and mulled it over, shifting the pastry from one side of her mouth to the other. She swallowed, licked up the cinnamon and sugar coating her lips, and said, “Nope.”

Soarin gave a low whistle. “You are one tough customer.” He bit into his own churro, trying not to smile with food in his mouth. “Guess that’s another thing I like about you.”

Rainbow snorted. “Don’t think flattering me will get me to change my mind.” She retraced their path from the mall’s food court back to the corridors of shops. All around them were couples holding hands, leaning against one another, even kissing in public. Rainbow rolled her eyes at it all, shoving her free hand into her pocket.

Yes, Soarin was cool, and Rainbow was having a great time with him, and maybe she had thought about calling him her boyfriend. But she really didn’t want to give her friends that satisfaction.

Not yet at least.

Soarin seemed understanding so far. The soccer match, the movies, now their trip to the mall. He would ask, but wouldn’t press it when Rainbow said no, they weren’t on date. His laid back personality seemed almost too laid back sometimes. Rainbow couldn’t help but wonder if she was being lured into a false sense of security.

Well, she still had an ace up her sleeve if Soarin ever dared to try something funny.

She looked over to Soarin, finding him holding his churro to his mouth like a horn. He blew into it and made trumpeting noises, side-eyeing Rainbow all the while.

Rainbow tried to hold back her amusement, but it came out as a loud snort, then she doubled over, clutching her sides. “You’re such a dork!”

“Not much fun being cool all the time. Gotta show I’m more than just a handsome face and awesome athlete.”

Rainbow straightened up and punched his shoulder, still laughing. “Athletic and handsome, sure, but you’re never cool.”

Soarin smiled and wiggled his eyebrows. “So you think I’m handsome?”

“I never said that!” Rainbow felt her cheeks burn and shoved more of her pastry into her mouth. “You’re average at best.” A spray of cinnamon accompanied her words.

“Whatever you say, Dash.” He brushed a hand through his spiky hair. “You’re not the only one with an abundance of confidence. I know ladies sigh when I go by.”

“Yeah, ‘cause they’re relieved you didn’t stop and hit on them.”

Soarin elbowed her in the arm, and they both shared another laugh. Their aimless wandering took them past all the clothing and perfume stores, places Rainbow only trode when she was with her group of friends and dragged inside by Rarity. Being with Soarin had the advantage of avoiding all those overly girly places in favor of cool stores like the comic shop or sporting outlets. Not that she couldn’t go there with Applejack or Fluttershy. But there was something different about talking sports and superheroes with Soarin.

Rainbow’s heart did that stupid fluttering thing again.

As they neared the arcade on the third floor, Rainbow cleared her throat. “Now, don’t get the wrong idea or anything, but…” She looked away, hoping Soarin couldn’t see the red in her cheeks.

“Iwantyoutocometomybirthdayparty.”

Soarin chuckled. “Gonna have to run that by me one more time.”

Rainbow stomped her foot. “I know you heard me. I want you to come to my birthday party. It’s on Saturday at the laser tag arena.”

Soarin opened his mouth, but Rainbow cut across him. “Don’t get any ideas just yet! It’s still not a date! If you do want to date me, you have to be cool with my friends!”

Truth be told, Rainbow did have another reason to invite Soarin to her party. Sunset really wanted to bring the Sirens along as part of her effort to ‘reform’ them. Rainbow needed as many cool people there to offset the negative vibes the three fish-girls were sure to bring.

She also had a feeling Soarin would be good in a fight if it came down to it.

Still, denying him a date for a fourth time? She looked his away, expecting him to look exasperated at the least.

Soarin popped the last of his churro into his mouth and tossed the wax paper into the nearest trash can. He slipped his hands into his pockets and relaxed his shoulders, looking like the textbook definition of nonchalant. “You know what, that sounds fair. Your friends seem pretty cool anyhow.”

Rainbow crossed her arms. “All right, I gotta ask, what’s up with you?”

“What do you mean?”

“Every time I tell you we’re not on a date, you’re just cool with it. You don’t bug me about it, you don’t get angry, you don’t even make fun of me. I thought I would have had to flip you over my shoulder by now.”

Soarin shrugged and gave a good-natured smile. “Hey, just because I’m a lady killer doesn’t mean I don’t know how to respect boundaries. No means no. The thing is, you haven’t said no yet.”

“Keep saying dumb things like ‘lady killer’ and I’ll let my foot do the talking.” Rainbow marched into the arcade, eager to kick his butt in something. Maybe she hadn’t said no, but she certainly hadn’t said yes.

Even if her heart was still doing that stupid flutter thing.

*******

The Great Laser Offensive, or GLO Arena, looked more like a refurbished warehouse than a respectable place of entertainment. It rested downtown, in the shadow of the larger skyscrapers and apartment highrises. The initials glowed a neon green, their frequent flickering telling customers they needed to be changed. The windows were covered in blackout curtains and the walls were the color of rust with occasional splotches of gray paint to cover the graffiti of the week.

Looks could be deceiving, as the Spectacular Seven well knew. Over their winter break, they had visited GLO several times and honed their laser tag skills. Now, they were set to do battle again after a long intermission.

Sunset and Twilight arrived to find Rainbow, her dad, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie already waiting. GLO’s lobby was a complete 180 from the outside of the building. Though it smelled like cafeteria pizza, the silver carpets were vacuumed and spotless. Fake windows lined the chrome painted walls, giving out-of-this-world views of stars and distant planets. Futuristic diodes and nodules criss-crossed between the window panels. From the ceiling hung a silver spaceship that reminded Sunset of the fighters in Star Wars.

“Happy birthday, Dash!” Sunset said, setting her present down on the table next to the others. She had gotten Rainbow a full scale poster of the upcoming Power Ponies movie.

Rainbow, wearing a silver crown on her head, grinned. “Thanks! Today is gonna be so awesome!”

Twilight leaned toward Sunset and said behind her hand. “I can’t wait until she opens my gift. I got her a word of the day calendar. Hopefully it’ll improve her vocabulary.”

“I still can’t believe you wanted to spend your eighteenth birthday party playing laser tag,” Rarity said. “I would have thought you wanted something bigger.”

“Laser tag is great!” Rainbow said defensively. “Especially when I’m playing with you guys. Besides, we couldn’t afford getting tickets for everyone to go to the amusement park. This is the next best thing.”

Flash arrived next, surprising Sunset. As far as she knew, he and Rainbow didn’t interact too much. But, they shared a fistbump and Flash handed her a giftbag before sitting down and kissing Rarity on the cheek.

Must be a guitarist thing.

Applejack arrived with the Sirens. All of them, save Sonata, wore aggravated expressions. Sunset thanked Celestia none of them had come to blows.

Yet.

Applejack marched up to Sunset and held her hand out. Sunset sighed and slapped a twenty dollar bill into Applejack’s palm.

“I appreciate it!” Sunset said, giving Applejack a wide, gracious smile.

“Mmhmm,” was her only retort as she turned away.

Adagio took her place. “Remind me again why we’re here?”

Sunset crossed her arms. “Oh, I’m sorry. Did you have something better to do today? I mean, other than stay cooped up in your room.”

“Let me rephrase that then. What are we doing here?”

“It’s Rainbow’s birthday. We’re here to celebrate it with her. You know, as friends? Pizza, cake, laser tag; it’ll be fun.”

Aria stepped over, looking as thoroughly unimpressed as always. Sunset wondered if her face was just stuck like that. “Yeah, Apple-bumpkin mentioned lasers on the way here—”

Sunset heard Applejack snort like a bull.

“—but no one’s explained what this ‘laser tag’ is.”

“Don’t worry,” Sunset said with a grin. “I’m sure it’s something even you three will appreciate.”

Adagio glanced around, wrinkling her nose in disgust. “I hope so. So far, this looks like a party place for eight-year olds. Which I guess is in character for you children.”

Tempering her urge to hit Adagio upside the head, Sunset walked over to Rainbow, which proved to be a poor move. Rainbow looked at her, eyebrow raised and mouth thin.

“It’ll be fine! Laser tag is a great way to get some aggression out and make some friends at the same time.”

“Well, you’re right about one of those things.”

Soarin arrived last. Sunset hadn’t seen him since their mountain vacation where he had either been dressed in a uniform to manage the ski lodge, or bundled up like the rest of them while skiing. Here, he was dressed in casual jeans and a gray short-sleeved shirt. He was much leaner than Sunset was expecting.

Two things happened when he entered the building. First, Rainbow ran over to greet him, face pink with an eager smile. The second she took Soarin by the hand, Fluttershy stood up and excused herself to the bathroom with a quiet mumble, her eyes to the floor the whole time.

No one else seemed to have notice her leave, they were all grinning and sniggering at Rainbow as she brought Soarin closer to the group.

It was easy to put two and two together. The answer it gave Sunset left her anxious, however. Before she could go check on Fluttershy, Rainbow Blaze called them all together.

“All right, gang, here’s the plan. You’ve got two games before we break for lunch. After that, we have to beat it before a bunch of seven-year olds swarm the place.”

Sunset heard Adagio snigger.

“You sure you don’t want to play with us, Dad?” Rainbow asked. She was standing very close to Soarin.

Rainbow Blaze noticed as well. He gave Soarin a scowl that reminded Sunset of Twilight’s dad. False intimidation, Sunset called it. “No, I’m just here to make sure you lot don’t get into trouble. And to guard the presents.”

He narrowed his eyes, transitioning from false intimidation to the true form Sunset was used to receiving from Shining. “So keep out of trouble.”

Soarin tugged at his collar. “Yes, sir.”

They were then herded off into the room designed to be an airlock. It was dimmer than the lobby, allowing the nodules on the walls to glow green and yellow. A holographic map of the arena shone on the wall next to a faintly glowing model of the vest and gun they would be using.

A lanky young man with hair the same shade and brightness as the sign outside jumped up onto a small podium next to the map.

“Hi, everyone! I’m Spectrum Shift!” He pointed to the neon name badge on his shirt. “Welcome to GLO Arena! So, who here has never done this before?”

Soarin and the Sirens raised their hands. Aria, of course, added an extra eye roll.

“Cool! Well, you’re about to have a far-out time!”

Sunset now felt Aria’s eye roll might have been justified.

“I’ll go over the rules real quick, then you guys can get in there!” He picked up the vest and slipped it over his head. “So, this is your combat vest. There are four areas on the vest that the laser gun can shoot at: both shoulders, the front, and the back.”

As he spoke, the four hit spots lit up and started to flash orange.

“If you get shot, your vest will power down for a few seconds, meaning you also cannot fire back. The best thing to do at this point is scope the area and wait.” Spectrum unholstered the gun from the side of the vest and lifted it over his head. “This is your laser gun. It must be held with both hands at all times. If not, you won’t be able to fire. Any questions?”

When no one said anything, he gave them a thumbs up and hopped off the podium. “Cool. Once inside, no running, no jumping, and no crawling on the ground. Remember, it is dark inside, so be careful.” He pushed the next door open and led them into the arena’s antechamber, where green vests were lined against the walls.

Everyone fanned out to select their laser vest, trying to find the one with the least amount of sweat absorbed into the straps. As Sunset picked one up, she saw Fluttershy quietly slide into the room, keeping to the back corner. Her eyes occasionally flickered toward Soarin and Rainbow, and Sunset was shocked and almost scared to see the closest thing to disdain Fluttershy had ever displayed.

Sunset slung her vest on and hung back toward Fluttershy. “Hey, you okay?”

Fluttershy looked at Sunset with a smile that showed off all of her teeth. She almost never smiled like that. “What do you mean? I’m fine.”

“It’s just…” She fidgeted under Fluttershy’s unusual smile. “You seem a little…” Fluttershy smiled harder at her, making Sunset step back. “Okay. Just remember, I’m here if you want to talk.”

“You’re so nice, Sunset,” Fluttershy said in an almost robotic tone. “But I’m fine. Really.”

“Right then.” Sunset buckled her vest and tightening the shoulder straps. She rejoined her friends congregating at the door to the arena, snatching looks at Fluttershy every few seconds. She was now glaring daggers at Soarin, who was helping Rainbow with her vest. Coming from Fluttershy, they were blunt daggers, but they pierced all the same.

“Good luck in there, you’re gonna need it!”

Sunset snapped her head, finding Twilight watching her with a competitive grin. “Oh, uh, yeah, you too.”

When everyone was geared up, Spectrum opened the door to the arena proper and ushered them into the darkness. A thin layer of fog covered the floor and laser rays flashed from above. The corridor split into two directions with multicolored lines running along the walls. The girls split up at the fork, scrabbling over each other to get to an optimal attack position in the arena. Sunset went left, sparing one last look over her shoulder at Fluttershy who had gone right.

“The game will begin in ten seconds.”

Sunset shook her shoulders out and took a deep breath. Come on, Sunset. We’re here to have fun. And make sure the Sirens don’t burn the place down. We can talk to Fluttershy afterward. Maybe this’ll make her feel better. A weight settled onto her chest. The Sirens, Twilight, now Fluttershy. Was it too much to ask that all her friends stayed happy?

The corridor widened into a large, open space with more corridors twisting deeper into the facility and a ramp leading to the second floor. Rainbow and Applejack power-walked upstairs, shoulders grinding against each other the entire time. Sunset ducked into another corridor, finally finding herself alone.

“Five… four… three…”

She took one more deep breath to steel herself. Head in the game. Sunset Shimmer is still a winner.

“Two… one… game start.”

A chord on a synth guitar rang through the arena, followed by a steady base and a keytar. Their vests stopped flashing and settled on a solid neon green. Sunset gripped her gun, one hand on the trigger, the other holding the barrel.

Okay, Rainbow and Applejack will definitely deal the first blow to each other. Neither of them is going to retreat, so one of them is as good as gone. That takes care of one of the best players, and there’s a good chance the winner will still be missing a stock. That just leaves Flash and Twilight as real major concerns.

There was also Pinkie to worry about. She, like in everything else she participated in, was an unpredictable wild card. Sunset usually just hoped someone got to her first.

It was hard to hear footsteps over the synth music, and impossible to see shadows in the darkness. Sunset moved slow, peered around every corner before taking them, and checked over her shoulder every five seconds. She exited a corridor and found herself in an open rectangular space full of low walls with holes cut into them and pillars scattered about. The closest exit was halfway down the room, perpendicular to her position.

Sunset had taken three steps in when she heard laser fire from the other end. She dropped into a crouch, hiding beneath one of the circular windows. The laser fire continued, and Sunset raised her head enough to see Soarin’s pack go off.

“Player terminated,” it droned.

Soarin gave a weak chuckle. “Heh, good job, Flutter… shy…”

Turning her head, Sunset saw Fluttershy already stalking off in the other direction. Well, that’s disconcerting.

Sunset stood once Soarin left the room, only to duck again when another gun went off. She peeked around the corner this time, seeing a pair of studded boots retreat behind a wall.

Aria.

Sunset was sure Aria had never played laser tag before, but had a feeling any game with a gun would come naturally to the Siren. Sunset pointed her gun at the wall and fired a few probing shots. As she retreated, she heard Aria return a single blast.

Okay, she’s after precision. Sunset looked straight ahead. Her nearest form of shelter was a narrow pillar a leap away. It was less cover, but the angle would allow her to see Aria. Sunset took a step back, breathed in, and ran for it, turning and taking a shot at Aria’s position as she crossed the opening.

Aria leaned out from her cover and fired at Sunset as she passed. Both their shots missed. Sunset pressed herself against the pillar, hearing an extra laser shot. She leaned out and took a quick blast before hiding again, hearing the sweet sound of a laser pack powering down.

A curse and a shuffle of footsteps told Sunset Aria had changed positions, most likely to a spot she could retaliate from. Sunset swung around the pillar and moved forward, taking Aria’s previous spot. Unfortunately, she had no idea where Aria was hiding now.

Best to just leave and finish her off later. Sunset turned toward the exiting corridor, in time to see Aria move into her peripheral vision. Sunset’s pack was down before she could even contemplate retaliation. The lights went off, and cool voice droned, “Point lost.

Crap! Sunset broke left and hid behind another pillar, but Aria had her pinned now. As the footsteps closed in, Sunset’s pack came back on. It was time to make a final stand.

Unsure of which side of the pillar Aria would be on, Sunset took a gamble and chose left. Her decision proved to be poor, as she pointed her gun at nothing. She pivoted left to find Aria, but the Siren’s vest was already off.

Player terminated.

Sunset moved back behind the pillar as several shots rang through the room. She heard a giggle and a scurry of footsteps before Aria spoke, sounding more disgruntled than usual.

“Thanks a lot, Sonata. I almost had Sunset out before you shot me.”

“You’re just mad ‘cause I lasted longer than you!” Sonata chirped.

Sunset swung around the pillar, aiming over Aria’s shoulder, and shot several times, hitting Sonata in the chest.

Player terminated.

“Awwwwww!”

Aria snorted and rolled her eyes. “Way to give your position away, stupid.”

“You’re stupid!”

Sunset turned to leave them to their bickering, which echoed into the corridor she stepped into. Two Sirens down, Soarin, and either Applejack or Rainbow. There’s still a lot of dangerous competition left. And I’ve only got one stock. Good odds.

Sunset paused at the threshold of the next room: another large area with half walls and alcoves set up. In addition, however, were several mirrors hanging on corners and in random parts of the ceiling.

Twilight’s favorite territory.

Having aced her physics class, Sunset knew the power of light refraction. Twilight knew it as well, and loved to exploit it. From her current position, Sunset didn’t think she was in any danger, but she couldn’t stand in the threshold forever.

Footsteps behind her told Sunset she didn’t have a choice. She broke left and ducked into an alcove, hoping she wasn’t in Twilight’s line of sight.

Flash walked into the room, gun held high. Before he could look left, Sunset shot and hit the sensor in his gun, shutting him down. He turned to retreat, jumped, then turned again and ran further into the room. Sunset’s question was answered before she could ask it. Rarity jogged into the room, her gun trained on Flash.

Sunset grinned and blasted her too, savoring the sound of a disarmed vest.

Rarity looked in her direction and gasped before running to find a place to hide. Sunset knew she had to move too, before Rarity or Flash came back on the offensive. Though the fact that she hadn’t been shot at by Twilight told her either she was in a safe position from the mirrors, or Twilight wasn’t in the room.

Sunset moved out of her corner just as a storm of lasers went off. She pressed herself to the wall, keeping to the shadows as she crept closer to the battle being waged. Halfway down the room, she could see Rarity crouched behind a low wall, rising up to shoot wildly at Flash who was holed up in another corner. Meanwhile, Pinkie had entered the battle, leaning out of another adjacent hallway, tongue sticking out of the corner of her mouth as she fired haphazardly into the room.

She caught sight of Sunset and pointed her gun. Sunset leaped for cover as the lasers flew, narrowly avoiding the barrage. She pressed herself against a pillar, feeling a rush of deja vu. The hailstorm didn’t let up, but Sunset wasn’t sure if it was still aimed in her direction. She inched her neck out, but could no longer see Pinkie from her hiding spot.

“Oh, drat!” Rarity wailed.

One down. Sunset took the opportunity to swing out and take several shots at where she knew Pinkie was standing. Only, Pinkie was no longer there.

Sunset pressed herself against her pillar again, heart hammering. She looked right and left, finding no trace of the pink-haired one. With a deep breath, Sunset rolled around the pillar again, firing rapidly, but hitting nothing. As she moved her finger from the trigger, Pinkie popped up from behind the wall Rarity had used as refuge.

In the second it took for Pinkie to grin and shout, “Booyah!” Sunset swung her arm around and had her finger on the trigger again.

Two shots went off, and two computer voices said, “Player terminated.”

Sunset’s vest went dark, save for the center which continued to flash the message. She tilted her head back and groaned. “Dang it, Pinkie, I was on a roll.”

Pinkie pointed to her own darkened vest. “So was I. I beat Fluttershy and Adagio.”

Rarity lifted herself up and dusted her skirt off. “I suppose I’m just grateful I lasted as long as I did.”

Flash walked out from a narrow alcove. “You all did good. But there’s only room for one in the winner’s circle.” He gave his signature trying-to-be-cool smile.

“And it’s not gonna be you,” Sunset quipped.

“Wanna bet?” His pack powered down, leaving only the ‘Player terminated’ message illuminated in the darkness.

Sunset crossed her arms and grinned. “So, what do I win?”

Twilight jogged past them, a competitive glint in her eyes. “Never let your guard down,” she said, moving into the next room.

Sunset couldn’t help but feel a swell of pride at seeing her normally reserved girlfriend displaying her competitive spirit. “Bet you she wins this round.”

Nooooo!” Twilight cried from down the hall.

Flash copied Sunset’s arm cross. “So, what do I win?”

“Shut up.”

A buzzer sounded throughout the arena, and everyone’s laser vest blinked orange. “The match is over.” a voice droned from the overhead speakers. “All players, please walk toward the exit. Repeat, the match is over…

Sunset clipped her gun to the vest and strolled back toward the equipment room with everyone else. Rainbow and Twilight were already there, looking triumphant and abashed respectively.

“The birthday girl wins!” Rainbow cheered, punching a fist into the air. “Poor Twi here never saw it coming.”

Twilight pressed a hand against her eyes. “Right after I told Flash not to drop his guard. She was waiting right around the corner for me.”

Sunset patted her shoulder. “Eh, let her have it. It’s her birthday after all.”

They rejoined the rest of their friends in the lobby. While the Dazzlings stood apart from everyone else, Sunset was surprised to see grins on their faces that weren’t scheming or hostile. However, she also noticed that Fluttershy was missing again.

Rainbow strolled toward her dad, pointing her thumbs toward herself. “First victory of the day goes to me!”

Rainbow Blaze chuckled and ruffled her hair. “Way to go. I’m sure none of your friends intentionally threw the match because it was your birthday.” He gave a wink to the rest of the group.

Rainbow whipped her head toward them, face pale. “You guys didn’t… did you?”

Applejack smirked and tipped her hat back. “Guess you’ll find out if you win the second round.”

With a ten minute break, everyone took a moment to sit down or air themselves out. The low ventilation of the arena combined with the heft of their vests left everyone uncomfortably sweaty.

Twilight fanned her face and said to Sunset, “I’m going to get a drink and use the bathroom.”

“Okay.” Sunset tugged at her shirt collar. “Yeah, I think I’m going to step outside for a sec.”

They traded a quick kiss and went their separate ways. Sunset passed Rainbow, Soarin, and Applejack, engrossed in a conversation. Applejack was grinning devilishly at the faint blush on Rainbow’s cheeks. That only fueled Sunset’s desire to talk to Fluttershy.

Lo and behold, she was sitting on the curb outside, chin resting on her knees. Sunset sat down next to her and followed her gaze. A ladybug was lazily hovering over the black tar.

“Fluttershy,” Sunset said softly, “I know something’s wrong. And I have a good feeling on what it is. I’m not going to pressure you to say anything, but I want you to know you can open up about anything. I’ll understand, or at least, I’ll try to.”

Fluttershy didn’t look away from the ladybug. It drifted closer and eventually landed on the back of her hand. She lifted it to eye level. “I’m…” Her voice faltered. She rotated her hand as the bug crawled over to her palm.

“I have… a…” Her voice dropped into an inaudible whisper, but Sunset had spent enough time around Fluttershy to hear her even at her quietest.

“How long?” Sunset asked.

Fluttershy lifted her hand up. The ladybug flew away. “Since we were kids.”

Sunset frowned. “Fluttershy, why didn’t you ever tell her?”

Fluttershy turned her head away. “I couldn’t. I was always too scared. And when rumors started that she might… that maybe she liked girls… she was so adamant that she didn’t.”

“I see.” Sunset mulled her words over. The only crush she had ever truly had was Twilight, and she had never been rejected before, even non-directly. To harbor feelings for someone for years only to see them in the arms of someone else...

Sunset blanched. She had heard this story before. She had lived this story, albeit from a different angle.

“You should still tell her how you feel, Fluttershy. If anything, just to get it off your chest.”

Fluttershy shook her head.

“Listen, I’ve seen what happens if you just hold those feelings in.” An image of Moondancer flashed in her mind. “And I’ve seen the way you’ve been glaring at Soarin.”

“I have not!” Fluttershy said loudly, raising her head.

Sunset leaned a hand against her shoulder. “You have. It’s fine. Trust me, I know a thing or two about jealousy. But that’s why you need to tell Rainbow how you feel, before it turns into something… worse.”

Fluttershy sank her head back onto her knees. “I can’t. I don’t want to mess up our friendship. Or her relationship. She deserves to be happy.”

“You deserve to be happy too. And if you don’t let go of this one way or the other, it will damage your friendship.”

Fluttershy said nothing. She wrapped her arms around her knees and hugged herself. Sunset scooted a little closer.

“If you and Rainbow have been friends this long, then this won’t tear you apart. You’re not asking her to do anything; you’re just telling her how you feel.”

She shook her head.

Sunset sighed. “Okay. I’m not going to make you do anything you’re not comfortable with. But, I think you’ll feel better talking to Rainbow instead of keeping all this to yourself.”

Fluttershy finally looked at Sunset, eyes wet with unfallen tears. “Thank you, Sunset.”

“Yeah, anytime.”

*******

Twilight ran her hands together under the faucet until all the soap suds were gone. She splashed a little on her face to wipe away the sweat built up.

The bathroom door opened, and Twilight startled seeing Adagio walk up behind her in the mirror’s reflection. She appreciated herself in the mirror next to Twilight.

“This would pass as decent entertainment if it didn’t make you sweat as much,” Adagio said dryly.

Twilight rolled her eyes and reached for a paper towel. “So sorry this doesn’t live up to your expectations.”

“Relax,” Adagio said, fluffing her hair. “I’m still having fun. A little. As much fun as one can have at a place for toddlers.”

Twilight balled the paper up. “You have a terrible way of showing it.”

“We all can’t be as… perky as you,” Adagio said, eyeing Twilight’s figure in the mirror.

Twilight shuddered at Adagio’s gaze. She felt like she was being judged. Just as Twilight turned away to leave, Adagio spoke again in a devil-may-care voice.

“So, have you slept with Sunset yet?”

Twilight jumped and fumbled with her paper. “What?”

Adagio spun and leaned against the sink, a smirk on her lips and a purr in her voice. “Have you had sex with Sunset?”

Twilight felt like she was back in the arena. “Th-that’s none of your business!”

“Okay, so it’s a no.” Adagio’s smile grew. “Better hurry up on that before she gets bored.”

Glasses fogged from the heat radiating from her face, Twilight said, “Sunset isn’t like that! Where we are in our relationship is perfectly fine!”

Sure it is.” Adagio examined the back of her nails. “I mean, you two are cute together, even I can admit that. But, face it, for someone like Sunset, you’re a little… bland, don’t you think?”

Twilight glanced down at her outfit. A simple, one-piece purple dress with a blue collar and cuffs. It was practical and comfortable, and… Twilight shook her head. “I am not bland!”

“Cute, schoolgirl nerd? Has never had sex before?” Adagio made a throaty chuckle. “There’s an innocent purity to you that I’m sure other girls, and every guy, would love, but compared to the leather jacket wearing, motorcycle riding, firecracker, well…. Don’t you think she deserves someone more her speed?”

“Her speed?”

Adagio leaned forward. “You know, someone more… relatable?” She wiggled her eyebrows.

Twilight was up in her face before she knew what was happening. “Don’t you dare try anything with Sunset!”

“Oh my, it looks like there’s a fighter behind those glasses! Guess you’re more than just a cute face.”

Twilight yanked her glasses off to give Adagio the full force of her glare, even if the Siren was an orange blurry blob. “I’m warning you, if you try anything with Sunset—”

Adagio threw her head back and laughed. “And you go right back to being cute. Don’t think you can actually intimidate me, little girl. Magic or no magic, I promise you, you can’t beat me. And I know you know it too.”

Twilight’s stomach knotted. She didn’t want to give Adagio an inch, but she was right: if it came to it, this wasn’t a battle Twilight could win. But that’s why she was training. And even if she couldn’t win, she refused to roll over!

Adagio continued to smile. “Oh, relax. I have no interest in your girlfriend. She’s still too much of a goodie two-shoes for me, even if she does have a bite to her.” She took a deep breath and strutted past Twilight. “But, I wasn’t lying when I said she might like someone more her speed. Cute and nerdy is only fun for so long.”

She left the bathroom, leaving Twilight to fume. Stop it! She’s just trying to get under your skin! Sunset wouldn’t leave you like that! Twilight closed her eyes, remembering the night of Prom, and the flight Sunset had taken her on after their love confession.

No, Sunset wouldn’t dump her for someone like Adagio. Twilight looked down at her outfit again, picked out by her mother because Twilight still couldn’t do it herself. Meanwhile, Sunset had great fashion sense and could pull off almost any look she wanted.

Sunset was cool and empathetic and brave and fierce and smart… and magical.

The familiar tendrils of insecurity crept up and strangled Twilight’s self-confidence. Why did Sunset pick her? Twilight was… smart. That’s it. That’s all Twilight had to her identity: the smart girl surrounded by magical beings.

Twilight shook her head again. Stop! That’s why you’re studying magic. That’s why you’re learning swordplay. Adagio’s wrong! Twilight marched out to the lobby, repeating to herself that Adagio was wrong about her. She wasn’t boring, she wasn’t just a cute nerd. She’d prove it by winning the next game!

*******

“All right, second verse, same as the first!” Rainbow said, grabbing a vest. “And none of you better go easy on me!”

That’s not gonna happen, Twilight internally growled, unclipping her gun. She shot a glare in Adagio’s direction. It was returned with a wink and a full-toothed smile. Twilight strangled her gun, turning her knuckles white.

Sunset walked up next to her, fumbling with the back strap. “Can you help me with this one? It’s being dumb.”

Twilight’s body loosened up. “Sure thing.” She gave the strap a hard tug and slipped it into the buckle. “There.”

“Thanks, babe.”

Babe.

Twilight could have told Sunset what transpired in the bathroom. Sunset would have been all over Adagio. But to what end? All that would prove was that Adagio had gotten under Twilight’s skin and she couldn’t fight her own battles. No, that was what Adagio wanted. She, Twilight, wasn’t useless or afraid! She couldn’t fight Adagio physically, but she could beat her in laser tag!

Spectrum opened the doors, and everyone filed into the arena once more. Twilight’s eyes took their time adjusting to the sudden darkness. She went right at the fork, keeping pace with Sunset. With a wink and a nudge, they separated at the next corridor, Twilight heading up the ramp while Sunset banked into one of the open room.

Three… two… one… Game start.

Twilight’s vest lit up green, and the synth music played, masking all but the heaviest footsteps. Still, she knew the probability of her coming up the ramp alone was low. She twisted around and pointed her gun, waiting for her first opponent to show up, hoping it was Adagio.

Instead, Rarity rose up the ramp, letting out a yelp as Twilight shot and deactivated her. She turned tail and ran back down, letting out another yelp when she got to the bottom. Someone else had been waiting for her.

One down. Twilight retreated into a darker corner, away from the flashing neon lights. She held her breath, waiting for whoever had finished off Rarity to walk by. A minute went by, but no one came.

Either they’re waiting for me to come to them, or they moved on. Twilight leaned out of her corner, making sure no one was about to pop around the corner before fully emerging.

The second floor rested mostly on the support structures of the first floor, leaving it with less walls to hide behind. Conversely, it made it harder to accidentally run into an opponent, and it was a quick way to get from one side of the arena to the other.

Twilight looked over the railing to one of the open rooms below. She could see the top of Pinkie’s head, but none of her weak points.

Something moved in the corner of Twilight’s eye. She turned and fired just as her pack shut down, but her shot hadn’t been wasted. Across the floor, Rainbow cursed and hid behind one of the few walls. Twilight retreated back to her corner while she waited for her vest to power up.

More shots rang out, though whether it was across from her or below, Twilight couldn’t tell. There were no mirrors for her to rely on in this section. She peeked around the corner to find Applejack backing up toward her, firing on the spot where Rainbow was hiding. Twilight took the easy opportunity, though she was surprised when she heard “player terminated.”

“Dagnabbit!” Applejack cursed, spinning around to face Twilight. “Second time Ah’m out in the first five minutes!”

Rainbow popped up and took a shot at Twilight, no doubt thinking she would be distracted by Applejack’s outburst, but Twilight was ready for her. She dodged right and pelleted Rainbow with return fire, hitting the sensor in her shoulder.

Player terminated.

“Crap!” Rainbow threw her hands up and marched toward Twilight and Applejack.

“Well, does that answer your question of if we were goin’ easy on ya?” Applejack asked smugly.

“Shut up, you lost, too.”

Twilight scooted around them. “Excuse me, I’ve got a game to win!”

“Go get em, sugarcube!”

Twilight made her way across the floor and eased down a ramp, being extra cautious as got to the landing. She could hear the sounds of battle in the next room. Creeping a little further, she found one of the trusty mirrors hanging in a corner, reflecting the unfolding struggle.

Fluttershy was bombarding a single spot, stepping closer with every pull of her trigger. Twilight could make out a tuft of solid blue hair. It wasn’t spikey enough to be Flash, leaving only Soarin as Fluttershy’s prey.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen her this aggressive.

Soarin tried to maneuver around the low wall he positioned himself behind, but Fluttershy was too quick for him.

Player terminated.”

“Heh, got me again,” Soarin said, rising to full height. He made another uncomfortable chuckle as Fluttershy walked off. Twilight couldn’t see her expression, but she had a feeling it wasn’t positive.

Twilight entered the room as Soarin exited. It was the same room she had found Sunset and Flash in last game, and one of her favorites. Deciding to leave Fluttershy alone for now, Twilight positioned herself behind a pillar near the center of the room. Moving around it gave her access to both exits and the mirrors hanging in the corners.

She already found a target approaching on her first sweep: Sonata, creeping down the east corridor. Pointing her gun at the mirror over head, Twilight took a few steps to her right, leaned forward, and fired. A second later came the satisfying sound of Sonata’s dying vest. Instead of retreating, Sonata ran into the room, giving Twilight only a split second to hide behind the pillar again.

Sonata ran passed her, only noticing Twilight when she checked over her shoulder. Her eyes widened with horror as her pack came back on just in time for Twilight to shoot her again.

Player terminated.

“Awwwww,” Sonata whined. “You guys are too good at this.”

She clipped her gun and made her way to the exit, leaving Twilight alone again. With at least five people out, the odds of someone stumbling into her were diminishing. Staying in one place might be a good idea defensively, but Twilight wanted to the winner, not just the survivor. Sunset would find that much more impressive.

Twilight made to follow Sonata, but a reflection in the mirror made her pause. Instead of trying to discern the proper angle for a refraction shot, Twilight stood her ground and held her gun out.

Sunset turned the corner, unable to pull the trigger fast enough on Twilight. The lights on her vest flickered and dimmed, but didn’t go out. “Point lost.

Unsurprisingly, Sunset didn’t retreat. She moved counterclockwise, easing toward cover while keeping a bead on Twilight. Twilight moved with her, holding a steady gaze. Sunset flashed her notorious competitive grin.

With a light hum, Sunset’s vest came back to life. She shot at Twilight and lunged right, taking shelter behind the pillar. Twilight ducked and returned fire as she ran behind a low wall. To her right was one of the mirrors, wherein she could see Sunset. Sunset could also see her, however, and was lining her gun up for the perfect shot.

Twilight frog hopped out of range as Sunset’s laser went off. That left her exposed to Sunset’s direct attacks, and Twilight narrowly avoided getting tagged out as she pressed herself against the wall again. She fired rapidly at the mirror, forgoing any sense of aim. She swung around to her other side in time to see Sunset come into her line of sight. They both fired and tried to lunge out of the way of the other’s shots, Twilight hitting the floor with her shoulder.

Player terminated.

But it wasn’t Twilight who had been powered down. She brought herself into a sitting position, taking a hand off her gun to nurse her shoulder.

“You okay?” Sunset knelt next to her. “I’m glad you’re into this, but I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I’m fine. It’s just a little bruise.” Twilight stood up and rolled it out. “See?”

Sunset grinned. “Well, I think you’re one of the last ones left. Snatch a win for me, okay?” She winked and headed out.

Twilight took the corridor opposite of her. She had personally seen to the defeat of four players. Rarity and Soarin were out. That left six players maximum, but Twilight had a feeling that number was much less. The last two players she had to be worried about were Pinkie and Flash.

Another large room. Twilight carefully navigated her way forward, but there didn’t appear to be anyone else. Her nerves tightened. This was the worst part of the game: a hide-and-seek match in the dark with a handful of people. Before, Twilight knew she had a high chance of finding at least one person per room. She double-checked over her shoulder. Nothing.

Heart beating a little faster, she took the nearest ramp upstairs, staying in a low crouch. Perhaps it would be better to pick one spot and stay there. But, if her opponent did the same thing, the game would go nowhere.

The second floor was empty at first glance. Twilight thought to give a test shot to coax someone out, but that would also give her position away. She tugged on the collar of her shirt, despising the humidity of the arena.

Come on, just a few more targets and you win! That’ll show Adagio you—

“Boo.”

Zap!

Player terminated.

Twilight’s body locked up as her brain processed the sound of defeat, and the voice of her defeater. Slowly, she turned around, begging to see anyone other than who she expected.

Adagio looked down at her with her usual predatory grin. “I win.”

The match is over. All players, please proceed to the exit.

Still smiling, Adagio slid past Twilight. “You know, this game is pretty fun.”

Twilight watched her go, body numb from shock. Second place again. To Adagio of all people. Rainbow she could stand, but Adagio? She had never played before today!

Don’t be a sore loser. You’re better than that, the rational half of her brain told her.

I’m not mad I lost, I’m mad I lost to Adagio! the emotional half yelled.

Twilight marched out of the arena, fists balled and lips pursed. Adagio was still in the equipment room, putting her vest up.

“Aww, you’re not mad, are you, Sparky? It’s just a game.”

“Don’t call me Sparky.” Twilight slipped her vest off and walked into the lobby, savoring the blast of cool air that washed over her.

Sunset rushed up to her with a napkin and started dabbing away the sweat on Twilight’s brow. “You almost had it, Sparky. You got the most hits though by a long shot.”

There was some comfort to be had in that at least. She may have lost to Adagio, but she outperformed her. Twilight slid her eyes past Sunset to find the Sirens grouped together by the cake and pizza.

“Way to go, Dagi!” Sonata cheered.

“Yeah, I can’t believe you beat those Lamebooms,” Aria snarked with a grin.

Adagio examined her fingernails with a casual smile. “It was just pure talent.”

Twilight’s annoyment must have been written on her face, for Sunset gave her a kiss on the forehead and said, “Ignore them. You’re the one with real talent.”

It was cliché relationship talk, but Twilight took it nonetheless. After all, Sunset was wiping her forehead, not Adagio’s.

Twilight exhaled, breathing out some of the inferiority building up inside her. Adagio was wrong: she, Twilight, wasn’t boring. But she had a lot to do make sure she stayed interesting and relevant to Sunset and her friends.

I’ll show Adagio there really is a fighter behind these glasses.

Author's Note:

Alternate Chapter Title: Prismatic Panic

Me: This is gonna be the funnest chapter yet!
Three Months Later: This chapter is like pulling teeth!

PreviousChapters Next