• Published 25th Sep 2016
  • 24,355 Views, 3,778 Comments

Spectacular Seven - Albi



As graduation draws near, magic begins to awaken in the human world, drawing out old rivals and opening the doors to new adventures. It's up to Sunset and her friends to keep Canterlot safe, all while dealing with their looming futures.

  • ...
 3,778
 24,355

PreviousChapters Next
13. Let it Rain

As one, the entire crowd turned to the four near the back, a sea of green eyes locking in on them. The hairs on Applejack’s neck rose as every face morphed from blank stares to angry scowls.

Flash eased a foot back. “I’ve seen this movie. It doesn’t end well for us.”

“Moondancer, you think you can do that thing you did with Flash?” Applejack asked, dreading the answer.

“No. I need physical contact to cast it, and I need to stay close to them to keep it active. If we don’t do something relatively soon, I’ll lose strength, and Flash will fall under again.” Moondancer sounded annoyed, but Applejack could hear a tinge of fear in her voice.

“I would like to not be brainwashed again,” Flash said. “I vote we run.”

Applejack nodded, backing up. “That’d be a start.” Her back foot nudged the table leg behind them. They were quickly running out of room to maneuver.

A figure pushed her way to the front of the slowly advancing crowd. Applejack recognized her as Moondancer’s secretary. “Miss Moondancer, please step aside,” she said, a slight drone in her voice.

“Raven,” Moondancer said, fear encapsulating the whole of her voice now, “don’t do this. Please.”

“My apologies. But if you don’t move, you will have to be punished alongside these girls.” Raven lifted her touchpad like it was a club.

Moondancer stepped back, skirting around the table. Applejack glanced at it and the mob approaching, and her brain scrambled a plan together. “Get behind the table!”

At the sudden movement of her three companions, the crowd surged forward, arms outstretched. Applejack leaped over the table, knocking a vase of flowers over as she did, and dropped to the other side. She flipped the table onto its front, ponied up, and kicked the table forward. It flew across the ground and bowled into the crowd, sending a portion of people to the floor.

Applejack powered down and yelled, “Run!” The four of them made a mad dash back to the door. Most of the throng behind them were still scrambling over the ones that had fallen, but Raven broke free and grabbed Applejack by her braid. With a mental apology, Applejack aimed a kick back at her assailant’s shin, grateful she wasn’t ponied up.

With a grunt of pain, Raven released Applejack, and she sprinted through the double doors of the ballroom. Hands glowing white, Moondancer reached out and thrust her arms back toward her, and the doors swung shut with a mighty slam.

“Now what do we do?” Fluttershy asked.

“Leave?” Flash suggested like it was the obvious answer.

Applejack shook her head. “We can’t leave while all these people are under Adagio’s spell.”

“Agreed,” Moondancer said. “And the hostess can’t just run out on her own party.”

Ignoring her, Applejack continued, “We need a plan.”

“Call for backup?” Fluttershy offered.

Applejack reached into her purse and pulled out her phone. “It’s almost 10:30. Dash is probably the only one still up. Let me see if I can get ahold of her.” Applejack tapped Rainbow’s number and held her breath at the dial tone.

“And once Rainbow gets here, we can go kick Adagio’s butt, right?” Flash asked.

Moondancer shook her head. “She’s probably going to be using some of these people as a human shield. As long as they’re under her control, they’ll—”

“There they are!”

From down the hall came a handful of guests, eyes glowing green. The group broke into a run again in the opposite direction.

“C’mon, Dash, pick up!” Applejack shouted.

“Hey, this is Rainbow Dash—”

“Yes! Rainbow, listen—”

“—can’t pick up the phone right now, so leave a message and I’ll get back to you, okay?”

“Consarnit!” Applejack fumed. “Rainbow, if you get this message before you go dozin’ off, get your butt down to the Castle Hotel. Adagio’s raisin’ hell and we could use your help!” She shoved her phone back into her purse.

“So, new plan?” Flash asked.

“You girls stopped her last time with music, did you not?” Moondancer asked between breaths. “Just do that again.”

“We don’t have our instruments,” Fluttershy said in dismay. “And we’re missing most of our friends!”

“Any music interlaced with some magic should at least be enough to dampen Adagio’s grip,” Moondancer said. “Unless you can think of something better?”

“We still need instruments,” Applejack argued. They came to the main staircase, and Applejack skidded to a halt as she saw the figure racing up the steps.

Rara marched toward her, shuffling as fast as she could in her dress, eyes sparkling green and mascara running down her cheeks. “You ruined my night, Applejack!”

“Crabapples!” Applejack cursed as Rara threw herself at her. Applejack caught her by the arms, flipped her around, and pinned her into a full Nelson.

“Rara, listen to me! Ah’m sorry about what Ah said, but you gotta snap outta it!”

Rara thrashed in her grasp. “The only one I’m listening to is our queen, and she says to capture you!”

Applejack gave a desperate glance to Moondancer. “Can you help her too?”

Moondancer at least had the dignity to look sorry. “I doubt I’d be able to concentrate enough to free more than one person at a time.”

Applejack looked from Rara, to Flash, to the approaching mob, grinding her teeth all the while. “Dang it all!” She tightened her bind on her friend.

“Sorry, Rara, but Ah hope you’re still bad with spinnin’ rides.” Applejack began to spin in place, swinging Rara around and around.

“Wha-what are you—” Rara cut herself off, snapping her mouth shut as her face paled.

Applejack slowed to a stop and released Rara, pushing her toward the oncoming mob. She took three staggering steps, bowed forward, and lost her entire dinner onto the carpet.

The crowd came to a disgusted halt, and the four broke into a run again, Moondancer in the lead. She took a corner and guided them down an empty hall.

“Can you please try to keep property damage to a minimum? I still have to pay for everything.”

“You’re welcome,” Applejack sniped back.

Moondancer came to a stop in front of a utility door, wrenched it open, and ushered the others inside. She stepped in and shut the door behind them, locking them in darkness.

“So, now what?” Flash asked.

“Hush for a moment and I’ll tell you.” The lights came on, and Applejack saw instruments scattered about in the small space. Moondancer gave a sweep of her hand. “Here are your instruments. Now go play something.”

Flash picked up a guitar and grinned. “Yeah, I can work with this.”

Fluttershy held up a drum and gave it a tap. “I might be able to work with this.”

Applejack looked around. To her dismay, there was no extra bass, only a saxophone and a triangle. She side-eyed Moondancer. “Can you play the sax?”

“I am skilled in many things.” Moondancer crossed her arms. “Wind instruments are not one of them.”

“Alright, only two usable instruments and four of us, versus one superpowered Siren. We can still make this work.” Applejack paced in the small square she had available. “First, we need to make sure we can broadcast to as many people as possible.”

“If we can find the A/V room, that should connect to all the community spaces in the hotel,” Flash said.

“I believe that’s down on the first floor,” Moondancer added.

Applejack cracked her knuckles. “Alright then, here’s the plan: We make our way to the audio room, you three set up and find something to play while Ah hold off anyone tryin’ to interrupt. Once you’re on a roll, Ah’ll find Adagio and get her to shut up.”

Moondancer raised her hand. “I don’t have an instrument.”

“Then sing. Ain’t you good at that?”

Moondancer sputtered, a faint pink rising to her cheek. “I-I mean, yes, but—”

“Good. We can’t use magic on them, so we’ll have to restrain them physically. And Ah think Ah’m the only one here qualified to do that.” She really wished Rainbow was here right now.

Flash nodded. “Okay, then we just need a song.”

“I might have one,” Fluttershy said, pulling her phone out and tapping quickly on the screen. “Umm, well, I have the lyrics and sort of a melody in mind…”

“We can improvise,” Applejack said. “And it doesn’t need to be perfect, just good enough to slow Adagio’s army down. Anyone got any ideas on where she might be hidin’?”

“She was using the PA system,” Flash said. “So she’s either in the manager’s office or the security room unless she knows how to operate A/V equipment.”

“Bet Ah can guess which one she picked.” Applejack walked over to the door and placed an ear against it. “It don’t sound too crowded out there. Let’s get to the audio room as fast as we can.”

“I have reservations about this plan!” Moondancer said as Applejack opened the door.

“It was your idea in the first place,” Applejack said with some smug satisfaction. She stepped into the corridor, finding it empty, though she could hear footsteps and conversations close by. She waved a hand for the others to follow and led them toward the main stairs.

They paused again at the cross-section, hugging the left wall. The stairs were clear, but both adjacent halls had people either standing with a blank stare or squabbling amongst themselves. One of the sentries looked in their direction, and the group quickly scooted back and pressed against the wall.

“We need a distraction,” Flash said.

“Ah got an idea,” Applejack said, reaching into her purse. She pulled a vial of lipstick out, something she never thought she’d do, and leaned around the corner again. With quick aim, she hurled the lipstick at the back of a woman’s head.

The woman spun around and shoved the nearest socialite, screaming, “How dare you!” They dissolved into a shouting and slapping match, tearing at each other’s dresses as they screamed obscenities.

“Ah hate to feed into Adagio’s game, but it works in our favor this time,” Applejack said, ushering the others forward. They scampered down to the ground floor and grounded to a halt when they saw the number of people in the lobby. Like the crowds in the halls, they were more preoccupied fighting amongst themselves.

Moondancer gestured toward an adjacent hallway and the group scampered as quick as they could. They passed the gym and several conference rooms before finding a door labeled ‘Audio/Video’. The room wasn’t much bigger than the storage room on the second floor. Wires flowed out of boxes stacked into the wall, all of them with tags reading what room they went to.

Flash set his guitar down and started examining the wires. “Give me a minute to get a set up going. Gotta make sure we broadcast to as many rooms as possible.”

“Attention, hotel guests,” Adagio’s amplified voice came muffled through the door. “You can find your targets hiding in the first floor corridor near the conference area. Have a nice time!”

“She’s in the security room. Ah guessed wrong,” Applejack said flatly.

“What do we do now?” Fluttershy asked.

“Same plan as before, Ah’ll just try to hold the mob off as long as Ah can. You three get set up and start playin’, quick.”

“And if the song doesn’t work?” Moondancer asked.

“It has to. Otherwise, we lived short, happy lives.”

“Speak for yourself.”

Applejack didn’t have the time or energy to pity Moondancer. She squared her shoulders, ponied up, and put a hand on the doorknob. “Good luck, y’all.”

Fluttershy hugged her from behind. “Please be careful, Applejack.”

Applejack smiled and patted her arm. “Don’t worry, sugarcube. Ah’ll be okay.” She hoped that wasn’t a lie. When Fluttershy let go, Applejack slipped through the door and shut it behind her. A handful of guests were already approaching, the green in their eyes visible to Applejack at the end of the hall.

“Alrighty.” Applejack took a deep breath and lowered herself into a defensive stance. “Just gotta stop them from gettin’ through to the others… without hurting them too bad… and hope they don’t remember nothin’ when this is all over.”

She started to think she had accidentally lied one last time.

*******

Moondancer tapped her foot against the carpet as Flash continued to work. He needed to hurry up so they could get this over with. She tried to take a calming breath. All things considered, she had the easy job. All she had to do was sing.

All she had to do was sing.

Her pulse quickened and she tugged on her neckline. Of course, she had to also somehow imbue magic into her voice like Fluttershy and the others had at the Battle of the Bands. If she didn’t, there was a possibility of her going to an early grave. She didn’t think Adagio had any particular grudge against her but wasn’t willing to find out. She also had to sing in front of Fluttershy, a prospect which made Moondancer’s chest tighten and throat close up.

Why? She had a decent singing voice in her own opinion. She had sung in front of Twilight plenty of times. Why was she nervous now? Why were her hands clammy? Her hands weren’t supposed to be clammy!

“Done!” Flash spun away from the cables and boxes. “We can start projecting anytime, just say the word!”

Fluttershy handed him her phone. “Here are the lyrics I wrote up. I wasn’t finished coming up with the melody, but I thought the beginning could go something like this.” Fluttershy tapped out a few notes on her drum head.

Flash nodded his head as he scrolled through the lyrics. “Hey, this is pretty good! Okay, lemme see what I can do. Here, Moondancer.” He passed the phone before picking up his guitar and copying Fluttershy. The two of them began a hasty jam session while Moondancer looked at the song.

The lyrics were simple, yet heartfelt and earnest. They sounded hopeful. It wasn’t some musical masterpiece, but Moondancer thought they would suffice.

A loud thump against the door made them all jump. “Applejack!” Fluttershy cried.

“Ah’m fine! Just keep workin’!” Applejack shouted back.

“We just need a beat for the bridge, we can improvise the rest,” Flash said. He and Fluttershy went back to work while Moondancer tried to memorize the song and listen in for when her cues were. The scuffle just outside the door kept grabbing her focus. She wiped a layer of sweat off her palms and rolled her tongue inside her dry mouth.

Why was this making her nervous? She lived with a sword hanging over her head every day! She ran a multi-million dollar company! She was planning to fight the most dangerous warlock of all time! This was just one more thing on the pile!

Slam!

Moondancer jumped and yelped at the sudden noise. How were they supposed to sing with an angry mob right outside their door?

“Okay, no time for rehearsals,” Flash said. He adjusted his guitar and flicked a switch on one of the audio machines. “We’re just gonna go for it! You girls ready?”

Fluttershy gave a firm nod. Her hands trembled, but Moondancer saw the determined gleam in her eye. Moondancer tried to say yes herself, but nothing came out of her throat, so she settled with a nod.

“Here we go.” Flash started slow, strumming in B minor and following up with A, D, and G. It wasn’t quite what Moondancer had in mind… She then realized that Flash and Fluttershy were looking at her expectantly. She had missed her cue!

Moondancer swallowed the lump in her throat and waited for Flash to come around again. Her cue came up and she tried to sing, but the first word came out croaky. It was cut off by another loud thud and a grunt of pain.

Flash kept playing, though he looked far more nervous than when they had started. He strummed the opening again, and Moondancer tried to prepare herself for her lines.

I-it’s all right, yeah,

I’m… I’m walking—

Slam!

Moondancer shook her head and clutched her chest. “I can’t! I don’t know how you girls do this, but it isn’t going to work this time!”

I’m walking right beside you,

I feel the way, feel the way that you do, too.

Moondancer looked over to Fluttershy. Their eyes met and Fluttershy smiled as she sang, her pony features bursting to life in a flash of pink.

Oh, I can’t lie, sometimes,

Everything feels like it’s just too much,

But you gotta let in, even if it’s tough.

Fluttershy gave a little shake to her hips, dancing in place. Her hands were busy tapping a beat on the drums, but her eyes were inviting, asking Moondancer to sing with her. Her pink glow illuminated the small room and washed over Moondancer. The pain in her chest lessened, and Moondancer was able to take a calming breath.

Voice still croaky, she joined Fluttershy in a whisper.

Know it gets better, know it gets better,

Push through the weather, weather!

Moondancer’s rasp cleared, and in a soft soprano, she sang,

Let it ra-a-a-ain!

Let it ra-a-a-ain!

Don’t be afraid of walls coming down,

Sometimes it hurts, you’ll figure it out,

Let it ra-a-a-ain!

Let it rain, it’s okay…

Moondancer heard only her own voice now. Fluttershy still smiled at her but had left Moondancer alone in the spotlight.

There’s beauty in the breakdown,

There’s sun behind those gray clouds

You know, I can’t lie, it’s all right.

Moondancer raised her voice, a warmth sparking in her chest. This song was more than just hopeful. Hearing it, singing it aloud, Moondancer understood much more. This was Fluttershy’s healing. This was how she became ‘okay’ after being rejected.

When everything feels like it’s just too much,

But you gotta let it in, even if it’s tough,

Know it gets better, know it gets better,

Push through the weather, weather,

Let it ra-a-a-ain!

There’s beauty in the breakdown!” Fluttershy sang behind Moondancer, her smile infectious. Moondancer smiled too, the warmth inside her blossoming into a glowing radiance.

And Moondancer experienced something that had not happened since she took off the Archon Amulet. A soft white glow enveloped her whole body, and a pair of translucent white wings flittered behind her. They were faint, but they were very much there.

Let it ra-a-a-ain!” She sang with full bravado. The pain in her chest was gone. In this moment, she felt like she could do anything.

Don’t be afraid of walls coming down,” she and Fluttershy sang.

Sometimes it hurts, you’ll figure it out,

Let it ra-a-a-ain,

There’s beauty, there’s beauty in the breakdown!

Let it rain, let it ra-a-a-ain...

Moondancer winced. Something stung her scars. She turned away to lift her mask and wiped away a few tears. She wiped her other cheek, unaware of when she had started crying.

“Umm…” She cleared her throat. “That was beautiful, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy’s cheeks matched her hair. “Thank you. You have a lovely singing voice.”

“Before you girls say anything else, I should tell you the mic is still on,” Flash said, fighting a grin.

Both girls cleared their throats and looked away. “Perhaps it would be best if we sing through it a few more times. Give Applejack the best fighting chance,” Moondancer said.

“Good idea,” Fluttershy said.

“Roger.” Flash started from the top again.

Moondancer couldn’t help but look at Fluttershy again, but the girl was focused on her drum. This was Fluttershy’s song, Fluttershy’s healing. And yet, the pain and anxiety that had haunted Moondancer for the past few weeks felt further away.

Such a pure soul. I wonder…

Moondancer’s heart skipped a beat as a thought crossed her mind, but she pushed it away. No. You’ve no more right to such things. Leave her be. She sighed and began to sing.

*******

Applejack grabbed someone by the arm and swung them into someone else. They both toppled over, then were replaced by two more angry socialites. They lunged for Applejack and she forced them back with an open palm.

Someone tackled her from the side and forced her against the wall. It didn’t hurt. Thanks to her magic, all of the clawing and shoving barely did a thing. No, the hard part was measuring her strength so she didn’t hurt anyone beyond a few bruises.

She forced her assailant off of her and ducked under the wide swing of another. They kept on coming, one after the other. The entire hall was filled with people wanting to drag Applejack to Adagio.

Come on, gang, hurry up! Applejack raised her arms to block a kick.

The hall speakers crackled. Applejack heard Flash mutter something as the static cleared, then heard the strum of his guitar. It didn’t distract the crowd at all. Someone grabbed Applejack in a bear hug that she quickly broke free from, but failed to block the sucker punch to her jaw.

I-it’s all right, yeah…

Whoever was singing sounded like they had a frog in their throat. As Applejack recovered from the sucker punch, a burly security guard grabbed her and slammed her against the door. The singing stopped.

“It isn’t going to work this time!” Moondancer bemoaned, sounding like she was on the verge of tears. Flash continued to strum.

I’m walking right beside you,” Fluttershy’s sweet voice sang.

I feel the way, feel the way that you do, too.

Applejack swung her foot back into the security guard’s leg and broke out of his grip. No one seemed affected by the music just yet. Come on, this has gotta work! She stood her ground and braced herself for the next wave of attackers. The music picked up, and as Applejack shoved another gala goer back into the crowd, it reached the chorus.

Let it ra-a-a-ain!

Let it ra-a-a-ain!

As one, the crowd froze, entranced by the song. The green haze didn’t fully leave their eyes, but it flickered and a number of them held their heads, groaning.

Applejack punched the air. “Great job, y’all!” She pushed her way through the crowd. Who knew how long everyone would stay like this without a full ensemble? She would have to be quick. If the spell broke while she was still dealing with Adagio, her friends would be sitting ducks.

She made her way back to the lobby and found more dazed guests. A few seemed to have snapped out of their trance completely and were looking about in utter confusion. Applejack weaved her way through the crowd, head bowed and hoping no one was paying her much attention.

You know, I can’t lie, it’s all right.

Okay. If Ah was a security room, where would Ah be? Near the front desk?

“Applejack?” a groggy voice asked.

Applejack spun around. Rara sat at the bottom of the stairs, squinting at Applejack like she was a blurry photo. Applejack ran over and knelt beside her.

“Rara, are you okay?”

Rara closed her eyes and messaged her forehead. “I… I don’t know. I feel so dizzy. And… and I’m mad at you! You…” Tears ran down her face, leaving clean streaks through her ruined makeup.

“I remember what you said to me!” She opened her eyes. They were wet and blue. “How could you lie to me like that? We’re supposed to be friends!”

Let it ra-a-a-ain!

There’s beauty in the breakdown!

“We are friends,” Applejack stressed. “That’s why Ah lied! Ah… Ah wanted to spend time with you! Ah just…”

“Just what?” Rara asked fiercely. “Was it really so hard to say, ‘I don’t want to do this, Rara’? I would have been more than happy to change my plans!”

Applejack bristled. “Really? ‘Cause every time Ah suggest something, your fancy lifestyle gets in the way and we have to change plans anyway! We can’t even go out in public without you having to wear a stupid hat and glasses!”

“I did it to try not to be recognized so we could hang out! Everything I did, I did it so we could make up for lost time! I was under the impression that you were having fun, but you were lying the entire time! I’m so sick of people lying to me and telling me what they think I want to hear!”

Applejack deflated. “Rara, Ah’m sorry—”

“No, sorry doesn’t cut it this time! You’re going to pay for what you did!” Rara got to her feet. There was a green haze over her eyes.

The music had stopped.

“Crap!” Applejack rolled out of the way of Rara’s haphazard grab. She jumped up from her knees and spun about the lobby, seeing everyone else slip back under Adagio’s spell. With a sidestep, she avoided Rara again and grabbed her by the arms.

“Don’t make me spin you again,” Applejack warned.

“You wouldn’t dare!”

Thankfully, Applejack didn’t have to make good on her threat. The strum of a guitar came over the intercom again followed by Moondancer’s voice.

It’s all right, yeah,

I’m walking right beside you,

I feel the way, feel the way that you do, too.

Rara went limp in Applejack’s grip. “Ugh. Why am I so dizzy tonight?”

Applejack let her go. “Rara, you okay?”

She turned around and looked at Applejack with her normal-colored eyes. “...Where did you get those little ears on your head?”

Applejack lifted a hand to her pony ears. “Uhh—”

Aaah aaah ah. Aaah ah.

Adagio’s song cut over Moondancer and drowned the entire lobby in her twisted melody. Rara and several others grabbed their heads and dropped to their knees.

Applejack snarled and stomped her foot, smashing the marble tile beneath her. “Sorry, Rara,” she said, sprinting away before her friend could attack her a third time. She made a beeline for the check-in desk, shoving one guest out of her way as they tried to intercept her. There was a small hallway just off to the side that Applejack hoped Adagio was lurking in. She could hear Fluttershy and Moondancer singing louder to match Adagio, but if they couldn’t get control back, Applejack was about to corner herself.

There were two doors down the hall, one of them marked ‘manager’, the other was blank. Applejack lifted her foot and smashed the blank door in, interrupting Adagio’s song. She spun around from a set up of multiple monitors with different areas of the hotel’s public areas on display.

Adagio sneered. “You saved my servants the trouble of dragging you here at least.”

“Yeah, great plan. So, do you have an end goal for all this?” Applejack asked.

“Get rid of you!” Adagio threw a firework from her glove. Applejack threw her arms up and took the blow, skirting back only a few inches. As she lowered her guard, Adagio rushed at her fist drawn back. Applejack grabbed her arm and kicked her in the sternum, sending her flying back into one of the monitors in a shower of sparks and a flash of light. Cracking her knuckles, Applejack ran forward with tightened fists.

Let it ra-a-a-ain,

Don’t be afraid of walls coming down,

Sometimes it hurts, you’ll figure it out!

Adagio pulled herself out of the broken screen and ducked under Applejack’s first and countered with an uppercut to her jaw. Applejack sailed straight upwards, hit the ceiling, and fell back to the floor. Before she hit the ground, Adagio blasted her again with a pink firework, sending her back out the door. Applejack tumbled head over heels and landed facedown on the tile.

“Once I get rid of you and the flower child with the healing powers, the only real challenge left will be Sunset,” Adagio said, striding over to Applejack.

She pushed herself onto her arms in time to see a pink blur smash into Adagio and send her to the back of the hall.

“Aren’t you forgetting someone?” Rainbow said. She had her mask on, turning her skin pink and her hair blue. With a grin, she offered a hand down to Applejack.

“Boy, Dash, Ah don’t think Ah’ve ever been happier to see you.”

“Got here as soon as I got your message.” She gave a sheepish laugh. “Sorry, I was in a game and didn’t hear my phone.”

“Just glad you’re here now.” Applejack and Rainbow stood shoulder to shoulder in the hall. They glared down Adagio as she shook herself off.

“I haven’t taken any of your magic, Rainbow, so I guess I’m glad you’re—”

Rainbow zipped forward, delivered a flurry of punches to Adagio’s gut, and returned to Applejack’s side. Adagio clutched her stomach and stumbled as Rainbow crossed her arms and grinned.

“Shimmer said the best time to hit a bad guy is when they start monologuing.”

Adagio let out a wheezing growl, then cast a red barrier in front of herself, filling the width of the hallway, and charged forward. Applejack threw her fists out and connected with the wall, halting Adagio’s advance. She threw her full weight into it, trying to muscle through. Adagio smirked and recalled the forcefield, jumping back as Applejack fell forward. Before Rainbow could charge, Adagio blasted both girls with a firework.

They catapulted into the lobby. Applejack landed on her side but used the momentum to roll up onto her feet. Rainbow caught herself and hovered in the air next to Applejack.

I’m walking right beside you,

I feel the way, feel the way that you do, too!

“By the way,” Rainbow asked, “who’s that singing with Fluttershy?”

“Moondancer.”

What?

Adagio shot a bolt of magic at Applejack. She ducked and it hit a pillar instead, and someone let out a shriek of horror. Applejack gave a quick glance to the rest of the lobby, her pulse getting quicker at every non-brainwashed eye looking back at her. Without her mask, she felt almost naked.

“Crap!” Rainbow took notice as well. She pulled off the scarf around her waist and tossed it to Applejack while weaving around two more shots from Adagio.

Applejack wrapped the scarf around her head, pulling forward around her face as much as she could before rushing at Adagio. Rainbow zipped up and around, and the two tried to catch the Siren in a pincer, but she threw a shield of diamonds around herself before they could make contact.

Aaah aaah ah. Aaah ah.

It was muffled, and with Fluttershy and Moondancer still singing, Applejack could barely hear it, even at close distance. Adagio realized this too and instead expanded her forcefield to shove Applejack and Rainbow away. Only, as she did, the barrier flickered in and out of existence.

Rainbow, who had been repeatedly punching the shield, slipped through during a flicker, catching both her and Adagio by surprise. Adagio recovered first and slugged Rainbow in the side of the head. The forcefield faded entirely, and Applejack leveled a kick at Adagio. The Siren grabbed her leg and threw her into a potted plant. The impact didn’t hurt as much as the stone shards digging into Applejack’s back.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, Ah’m fine,” Applejack grunted. She got to her feet and jumped when she saw it was Rara addressing her. “Uhh, gotta go! Please stay back, ma’am,” she said in a deeper voice.

When everything feels like it’s just too much,

But you gotta let it in, even if it’s tough,

She rejoined the fight as Rainbow took a firework to her side, dropping her out of the air and eliciting a scream from the onlooking crowd. Applejack ran in before Adagio could get her hands on Rainbow. She shoulder-checked Adagio and sent her flying across the lobby.

“You okay, Ace?” Applejack asked, pulling Rainbow up.

“Yeah. That hurt less than I thought it would.”

A wail raked Applejack’s eardrums and brought her down to one knee. Rainbow pressed her hands over her ears and grit her teeth. Adagio marched toward them, mouth agape as she caterwauled loud enough to crack the windows.

A large piece of the pot Applejack had shattered sailed through the air and smacked Adagio in the shoulder. The wailing stopped, and Applejack got back to her feet to see who had thrown the debris.

Rara stood near the pottery remains, panting and rubbing her inner ear. Adagio followed Applejack’s gaze and lifted her palm. Rainbow was, of course, quicker. She cut across the room and punched Adagio in the face, sending her spiraling into the front desk.

“Had enough?” Rainbow called.

Adagio picked herself up, seething. She faced the girls and thrust her palm out, a red wolf leaping from the shard. As it rushed forward, Adagio turned and ran to the back.

“Oh no you don’t!” Rainbow yelled, flying after her.

While Rainbow pursued, Applejack stared down the Harbinger doppelganger. It lunged, and Applejack dropped to the floor and kicked her legs straight up, catching it in the chest. It flew up, and as it reached its zenith, it faded away in a cloud of glittering dust.

Applejack raced to the backrooms just in time to duck under a diamond shard from Adagio. Rainbow, lying on the floor with something clutched against her chest, rolled out of the way of Adagio’s stomping boot. She bounced up and rushed at Adagio, but the Siren tossed out another shield and bounced Rainbow out of the room.

Adagio thrust her palm again, but whatever she wanted to happen, didn’t. “What?” she yelled, eyes wide with panic. She tried again, and this time, a small firework shot across the room.

Applejack ducked underneath it and charged at Adagio. Instead of her usual scowl or sneer, Adagio clutched her palm tightly, a look of desperation on her face. In a puff of red smoke, she was gone.

Skidding to a halt before she crashed into the monitors, Applejack cursed. “That darn snake!” She turned and jogged to Rainbow, still getting to her feet.

“Thanks for the help, Rainbow,” Applejack said, patting her shoulder. “Ah don’t know what would’ve happened if you hadn’t shown up.”

Rainbow shrugged like it was no big deal. “Hey, I’m always down to punch Adagio in the face.”

“Ah just can’t believe she got away again.”

“Yeah…” Rainbow held up a backpack and grinned. “But she left this behind.” She unzipped it and pulled out the Crystal Heart.

“Hot dog!” Applejack jumped and punched Rainbow in the shoulder. “Way to go, Rainbow! Oops, hehe, sorry.”

Rainbow, doubled over and rubbing her shoulder, chuckled. “No biggie. Fluttershy’s here.”

“Right. Speaking of which…”

Let it rain, let it ra-a-a-ain...

Rainbow straightened up. “Yeah! Why is she singing with Moondancer?

“That’s a long story. Let’s grab the others and get out of here.”

They tucked the Crystal Heart back into the backpack and walked out to the lobby. Most of the occupants had cleared out during the fight, or at least scooted up to the top of the stairs. A handful of people still stood around, looking out from around corners or under tables. Rara still stood next to the broken pot.

On reflex, Applejack started in her direction, but forced herself to turn away for the A/V room. She pulled the scarf tighter over her face and bowed her head.

“Thank you!”

Applejack froze and turned back toward Rara. Their eyes met.

“I… I don’t know exactly what just happened,” Rara said. “But, thank you.”

Scattered applause filled the lobby. As people came out from their hiding places, it grew, swelling until it echoed off the pillars and floor.

Rainbow gave a thumbs up, but Applejack ducked even lower and hurried along. The conference room corridor had cleared out and the sound of applause faded as they reached the end. Applejack knocked twice before opening the door.

“Is it over?” Fluttershy asked in a scratchy voice.

“Yeah,” Applejack said, breathing out the stress she had been carrying for the last half hour. “It’s over.”

“‘Shy!” Rainbow squeezed past Applejack and hugged Fluttershy. “Are you okay?”

“Rainbow, you came! Yes, I’m fine. My throat is just a little sore.”

Rainbow released Fluttershy and glared at Moondancer. “Why are you here?”

“Adagio crashed my party,” Moondancer said coolly. “You’re welcome by the way.”

“I’m not thanking you! Especially when we know what you’re up to.”

“No, you don’t because I’m not up to anything.”

Applejack stepped between them. “It’s a temporary truce, Dash. All things bein’ fair, Moondancer did help today.” She looked over at Moondancer. “So, thanks.”

Moondancer’s lips twitched upwards in a brief smile.

Rainbow rolled her eyes and looked away, noticing Flash for the first time. “Flash?”

“‘Sup.”

“I have so many questions.”

Applejack put a hand on her shoulder. “Ah’ll explain on the way home.” To the rest of the group, she said, “Rainbow and Ah gotta get outta here. We… had an audience during our fight with Adagio, so we better skedaddle before the media shows up.”

“What about us?” Flash asked.

“Well, no one saw us throwing magic around,” Moondancer said. “We can just blend into the crowd on our way out. Tis the fate of a background actor.”

“Are you going to be okay?” Fluttershy asked. “If someone saw you… or if they took any photos…”

Applejack swallowed the lump in her throat. She was relying heavily on the fact that no one at this party knew who she was save for Rara. She was pretty plain, all things considered. But in the chaos of Adagio’s stunt and her magic going off and on, it was too likely someone might have tried to snap a photo or a video. And if that got out and someone did recognize her…

“Ah’m tryin’ not to think about it right now. We just gotta get before it gets worse.”

“Before we go…” Rainbow gestured to the bruises on her face and arms. “Fluttershy, could you…?”

“Oh, sure!” Fluttershy laid her hands on Rainbow, and a wave of pink washed over and erased her wounds.

“You’re the best, ‘Shy. All right, A.J., let’s get out of here.” Rainbow threw one more glare at Moondancer before high-fiving Flash and walking away.

“Thanks, y’all,” Applejack said to the remaining three. “Adagio got away, but Ah think we scared her real good this time. Plus, we got the Crystal Heart back. Couldn’t have done it without you.”

Flash gave a friendly salute. “All in a night’s work. I’m just glad I could help out.”

In a more genuine tone, Moondancer said, “You’re welcome. You did much of the dirty work, so thank you as well.” She heaved a deep sigh. “I should probably get back out there and figure out how I’m going to do damage control over all this.”

Fluttershy hesitated but put a hand on Moondancer’s shoulder. “You can do it, I know you can.”

As much as Applejack wanted to inquire, especially with the warm look the two girls exchanged, she gave one final wave and joined Rainbow in the hall. Taking the backpack from her, Applejack hopped onto Rainbow’s back and held on tight as the girl raced out of the hotel at supersonic speed.

The city, like her thoughts, was a blur around her. Did Rara know? Beyond the magic, how was Applejack supposed to apologize to her? And what about the rest of the crowd? Had she put the identity of the rest of her friends in jeopardy? Would men in black suits storm the farm in the morning?

But, she saved lives tonight. Not just her own and Fluttershy’s; who knows what Adagio would have done to everyone else afterward.

Applejack squeezed her eyes shut. If she was going down, at least she had gone down swinging. She just hoped she hadn’t dragged anyone else with her.

Author's Note:

Alternate Chapter Title: Welcome to the Hotel Canterlot.

Having Moondancer and Fluttershy sing 'Let it Rain' was Drakey's idea and it was inspired.

PreviousChapters Next