• Published 25th Sep 2016
  • 24,283 Views, 3,774 Comments

Spectacular Seven - Albi



As graduation draws near, magic begins to awaken in the human world, drawing out old rivals and opening the doors to new adventures. It's up to Sunset and her friends to keep Canterlot safe, all while dealing with their looming futures.

  • ...
 3,774
 24,283

PreviousChapters Next
8. On the Cusp of Summer

All in all, Sunset considered laser tag a moderate success. The Sirens weren’t any closer to being friends with anyone per se, but everyone had managed to get through the day with minimal insults while having a relatively good time. Twilight continued to look put out after the match and she shot Adagio a heated glare every few minutes while everyone had pizza and cake.

Sunset scooped a fingerful of frosting and tapped Twilight’s nose. “Don’t let her get under your skin, Sparky. It was a lucky break, that’s all.”

Twilight went cross-eyed as she looked at her frosted nose. She wiped it off and forced a smile. “Yeah. You’re right. I just…” She gave a small pout. “I really wanted to beat her.”

“You’re starting to sound like me,” Sunset said with a chuckle.

Twilight leaned closer and smiled mischievously. “You are a bad influence.”

Sunset poked her in the ribs, getting a laugh out of her. “Would some science cheer you up? We could go work on your little project after this.”

“That would be fun. I think we’re almost done with it, too.”

Satisfied, Sunset returned to her cake. Near the end of the table, Fluttershy sat closed off to everyone else. She made herself as small as possible while she poked at her cake, her long bangs hiding her eyes. Sunset considered sitting next to her but decided against it. Ultimately, that was a battle Fluttershy had to fight for herself.

When everyone had eaten their fill of cake, Rainbow tore into her presents. She squeed over the poster Sunset had got her and gave a half-hearted ‘yaay’ over Twilight’s word calender. With new running shoes, video games, and trading cards, Sunset thought Rainbow scored a pretty good haul.

A large flock of ten-year-olds and their parents signaled it was time for the teenagers to leave. They gathered up the presents and leftovers and shuffled out, being eyed with envy by the children as they departed.

“That was so much fun!” Pinkie said, bouncing away from the doors.

“You guys have a lame definition of fun,” Aria said.

“And what exactly passes as fun for you?” Rainbow snapped.

“Death metal concerts, late night clubs, horror movies, video games…” Aria counted off on her fingers.

“Well, some of those things could be arranged,” Rarity said civilly.

“So, what are we gonna do now?” Sonata asked.

“Go home,” Applejack said.

Adagio threw her head back and groaned. “What is with you girls and going home so early? You just turned eighteen! Live it up a little!”

Rainbow crossed her arms. “Yeah? What did you have in mind?”

Adagio looked over Rainbow’s shoulder where Blaze was putting things away in the car. She leaned closer and said in a hushed voice, “We know a club with a pretty lenient bouncer. A few fake IDs and you’re in.”

“And where would we even get fake IDs?”

Aria grinned. “I know a guy.”

Rainbow shook her head. “We’re not—

“Let’s do it!” Pinkie said.

Rainbow snapped her head in Pinkie’s direction. “What? Why?”

“Because I’ve always wanted to have a fake ID!” She thrust a hip to the side and put a peace sign up to her eye. “I’ll be Gypsy Danger.”

Sunset clapped a hand over Pinkie’s mouth. “No one is getting fake IDs or sneaking into clubs. Look, I’m all for late-night fun, but we’re not doing something illegal.”

Adagio crossed her arms and tittered. “The most fun things in life are often illegal.”

“They really aren’t.”

Adagio flashed a tiny smile. “That’s because you don’t know the meaning of the word. You girls are too afraid to stay out past your bedtimes.”

“We are not!” Pinkie protested.

“Oh yeah?” Aria asked, raising a challenging eyebrow. “Prove it.”

“How?” Applejack asked.

Aria grinned in a way that made Sunset feel they had played into her hands. “There’s a rumor that there’s an old chateau in the Everfree Forest. Been abandoned for years. I bet you’re all too chicken to spend the night.”

“One night in the Everfree Forest?” Rainbow blew a raspberry. “Please, that’ll be easy.”

“Wouldn’t that be trespassing?” Twilight asked. Adagio gave her a smirk, like Twilight was proving her point. “B-but, we’ve already kinda trespassed before with the factory, so I guess it doesn’t really matter in this case.”

“Then it’s settled,” Adagio said. “A little camping trip this weekend. I can’t wait.” It was hard to miss the bite of sarcasm.

“Neither can I,” Sunset said, matching Adagio’s snark. “Come on, Sparky, let’s go home. Happy birthday, Dash,” she said with a little more bite than she meant to. She and Twilight retreated to her motorcycle and took off down the street.

Sunset could almost relate to Adagio and her sisters. Not too long ago, she would have found laser tag and simple friendly meet-ups dull and pointless. And half of her friends were eighteen now. Perhaps there was something more mature they could do that could meet the Sirens halfway. Something that didn’t involve breaking the law.

But the old part of Sunset liked the idea of doing something she wasn’t supposed to. She had forged a reputation of skirting, subverting and outright breaking the rules. It was the reason she was in this world to begin with. But, while the idea of participating in a little teenage rebellion for old times sake made her grin mischievously, she wasn’t willing to drag her friends into it.

On the other hand, rule-bending and a semi-illegal camping trip might get the Sirens to open up a little.

Or, it’ll encourage more of their bad habits.

All too soon, she and Twilight were back in the suburbs. The sun was just beginning to sink behind the houses, casting an orange tinge upon the world. Sunset parked in front of Twilight’s house and dismounted, shaking her hair out after taking off her helmet.

“Are we really going to go out into the Everfree Forest? At night? With the Sirens?”

Hearing the plan out loud, Sunset could see the folly in it. Creepy old house in the middle of the forest at night with three former enemies. It practically screamed disaster zone. At the same time, Sunset couldn’t imagine what kind of trap the Sirens could have laid out for them in two days. And it was still seven on three if push came to shove.

“Don’t worry, Sparky. We’ll leave when it’s still light out and make sure they never leave our sights. And I seriously doubt they’ve rigged a trap in an old house just to try and get rid of us.”

“I wouldn’t put it past them.” Twilight started up the driveway, arms crossed. “I just feel like we’re walking a dangerous line. I know you want to help them, but they also have to want to help themselves.”

Sunset followed after her, thinking of how to rebuttal. She wholly acknowledged Twilight’s reluctance to this trip, but also felt giving the Sirens a little ground might loosen them up. If this wasn’t some convoluted scheme.

“This is as long a leash I plan to give them. If they screw this up, we kick them to the curb.”

Twilight heaved a sigh that told Sunset she would go along with this but was far from happy about it.

Spike waited beyond the front door to greet Twilight like always, and Mrs. Velvet sat on the living room couch, a bowl of popcorn beside her.

“Hello, girls.” She paused to take a bite of popcorn, eyes glued to the T.V. screen. It was a cold case mystery about a whole family that had disappeared. “How was the party?”

“It was fine,” Twilight said, taking her shoes off. “I got second place both times.”

“You did better than me,” Sunset said, trying to elevate herself back into Twilight’s good graces.

“Sounds like fun,” Mrs. Velvet said. “So, what are you two up to now?”

Twilight looked at Sunset, her features softening. “Well, you did say we could go to the lab—”

“Garage.” Sunset couldn’t help herself.

Lab. And continue working on my gyrocopter.” Twilight gave Sunset a little jab.

“Sure, Sparky. Sounds like fun.”

Mrs. Velvet nodded, still enraptured by her program. “Just don’t burn down the garage.”

Lab!

“Sure it is, sweetie.”

Twilight huffed and stomped toward the garage. The display of defiance lost most of its ferocity on account that she was in her socks.

*******

For the late afternoon and well into the evening, Sunset and Twilight sat at the workbench, wiring circuit boards and writing preliminary code. Spike kept them company, forcing them to take a break every fifteen minutes or so to give him belly rubs, lest he start barking.

The duo worked and toiled until at last…

“Bwahaha! It works!”

“Sparky, you built it. Of course it works.”

Hovering before them, five propellers whirring simultaneously, was the preliminary version of Twilight’s selfie gyro-drone. The main body was naked, showing off its mass of wires and circuit boards surrounding a central fan. It had four arms, each ending with a propeller. The camera lens was a little crooked, but the sensory lights blinked a positive green.

Twilight backed away from it, gasping in delight when the camera rotated to follow her movements. “Basic mobility appears functional.” She leaned left and right, the camera following her every move. She then posed, sticking her hand out and making a victory sign.

The gyroscope made a little click then turned its camera toward Sunset. She stood from her stool and posed too, putting one hand on her hip and the other behind her head.

Click.

Twilight ran forward and gently took hold of it. Opposite of the camera was a small screen to check the photos. “Yes! It worked! Two successful selfies! We did it!”

Something sparked inside the circuitry, and an ember flickered to life.

“Gah!” Both girls cried. Sunset ran and grabbed the fire extinguisher by the door. She aimed the nozzle at the sparking gyrocopter and gave a quick squeeze, blasting a cover of foam over the device.

Twilight fanned the fumes and wiped the foam away. She pressed her face as close to her machine as possible without touching it. “It was working so well! One of the circuit boards must have overheated… or maybe the propeller is scraping against the inner plating and creating sparks from the friction. Ugh, this is gonna set me back a whole day!”

“Oh no, not a whole day! Heaven forbid!” Sunset set the extinguisher back and patted Twilight’s shoulder. “Every great invention has a few setbacks. We built this in less than two days over the course of a week. Pretty sure that beats our previous feat of the hydroelectric generator; be happy about that.”

Twilight reached for a screwdriver and pulled her magnifying goggles over her eyes. “I know. I just want this to be done as soon as possible. Not only am I going to enter it to the Young Robotics Scholarship, I want to have it up and running before our next outing. This is the first summer I get to spend with friends. Last summer, Moondancer—”

Twilight froze, slackening her grip on the screwdriver.

It was the first time the name ‘Moondancer’ had left Twilight’s lips since graduation. Sunset never knew how to broach the topic, or even if she should. She had thoughts and feelings on Moondancer she was sure Twilight didn’t want to hear, and wasn’t sure she could engage that conversation without injecting some of those emotions even if they were justified. In the end, Sunset knew she had to let Twilight start the conversation and thereby dictate the direction it would go when she was ready.

All Sunset could do was remind Twilight that she was here, even if Twilight just wanted her to shut up and listen. She put a hand on Twilight’s back and said softly, “It’s okay, Twi.”

She felt Twilight inhale and speak in a soft voice, “Last summer, Moondancer was in France. The summer before that, I went to space camp. One of us was always busy during the summer. And before her, I didn’t have any friends.”

Lifting her head and raising her goggles, Twilight revealed a determined smile. “But this year is going to be different. I’m going to learn swordplay, study magic, make new inventions, and hang out with you and the girls. I’m going to make as many summer memories as possible before college.”

Sunset moved her arm around Twilight’s waist, eager to talk about this rather than Moondancer. She rested her mouth near Twilight’s ear. “Well, I know a good way to start.” She kissed Twilight’s neck.

Twilight pressed a hand to her mouth and giggled. “Your kisses are so electrifying.”

Sunset moved her mouth away and groaned. “Why are you like this?”

“Don’t you mean, wire you like this?”

Twilight!

“I love you!”

*******

After being subjected to several more bad puns as they cleaned up, Sunset and Twilight retreated out of the garage, enticed by a delectable smell wafting from the kitchen.

“Do you want to stay for dinner tonight?” Twilight asked, hanging onto Sunset’s arm.

Sunset’s stomach gave a short rumble. “Sure, I think I can hang around this time.”

Twilight’s happy smile broke when they walked into the dining room, finding Shining kneeling next to Cadence, who had her face planted into the table, shoulders shaking from her muffled sobs.

“What’s wrong?” Twilight half-shouted.

Shining opened his mouth, but Cadence sat up from her defeated posture, mascara running down her face. “Everything!” she sobbed.

Shining rubbed the back of his neck. “The band kinda canceled on us.”

This close to the wedding?” Sunset asked, incredulous on Cadence’s behalf.

“Apparently, they chose now of all times to have a falling out,” Shining said.

“I don’t know what to do!” Cadence wailed. “The wedding is in two weeks! I can’t find a band in two weeks! And now, my dress is snug because I decided to have that last bit of Double-Fudgey Chocolate Chip ice cream, even though I told myself I shouldn’t! I don’t have time to work it off now! Who wants to watch a fat bride waddle down the aisle without music to distract them?”

She dropped her face against the table, unconsolable. Shining rubbed her back, and said, “Sweetheart, you’re far from fat.” But Cadence just made a loud sob. Shining gave the girls a look that pleaded for help.

Sunset couldn’t bear the sight. If anyone deserved to have a nice wedding, it was Cadence. But finding a band in two weeks was a challenge—

A band... duh!

“Um, Cadence,” Sunset said over the woman’s crying. “I’d have to double-check with my friends first, but I don’t see why they’d say no. We could play at your wedding.”

Cadence snapped her head up and looked at Sunset like she was an angel who had spontaneously appeared in the room. “You have a band,” she whispered like it was a revelation.

She was in Sunset’s face before she could blink, her hands clasped in front of her. “You won the Battle of the Bands! You girls are pretty good! Oh, Sunset, please play at my wedding! I’ll do anything! You girls can stay at the hotel! You’re all friends of Twily anyway! Oh, please oh please oh please oh please!”

“Woah, Cadence, calm down!” Sunset said, holding her hands up and taking a step back to reclaim some personal space. “We’ll do it! You don’t have to do anything. I mean, the hotel thing sounds nice—”

Cadence swept her up into a suffocating hug. “Oh, thank you, Sunset! You’re the best future-wife-of-my-sister-in-law I could have asked for!”

Sunset’s blushed. “That’s making a bit of an assumption, isn’t it?”

Shining crossed his arms and smirked. “Is it though?”

Sunset declined to answer, trying not to get invested in the idea of sharing the rest of her life with Twilight. Cadence finally released her, and she stumbled back next to an equally red Twilight.

Cadence cleaned up her face, and dinner was served within the hour: roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans. Mrs. Velvet warmed up a can of cream of corn as well just for Sunset to substitute the chicken. Sunset had sat down for dinner with the Sparkles a number of times since that fateful Thanksgiving a year ago. None of them had been as awkward as that night, and Sunset silently thanked the family for never bringing it up.

“It’s so sweet of you to offer your band for the wedding,” Mrs. Velvet said.

“Seems you have a knack for helping this family when we really need it,” Night Light said with a warm chuckle.

Sunset blushed again. “Well, that help goes two ways.” She glanced at Twilight, looking down at her own plate and trying to hide a smile. “I wouldn’t be the person I am today without her help.”

I also wouldn’t have my soul, but that’s on a need to know basis.

Cadence, back to her peppy, romantic self, put her hands on her cheeks and d’aawwd. “Just the cutest!”

“We’re going to miss having you over for dinner when Twilight’s off at MIT,” Mrs. Velvet said.

Sunset tried her hardest to not visibly deflate in front of them. “Heh, right.”

Night Light looked at her. “Actually, I don’t think you ever told us where you’re going, Sunset.”

“Oh, umm, I’m just gonna go to the community college for a bit,” she lied. “I don’t really know what I want to do with my life yet, so, no sense in wasting all that money on a university.”

The last part was at least true. The future no longer scared Sunset as it had in the past, but it was still a cloud of uncertainty. She had two years to kill before having to choose between which world she would permanently reside in, and she had no idea how to fill that time. Even if she wanted to go to college, she couldn’t with her convenient lack of legal documents. As much as she was going to miss her friends, she still envied they had options to consider for their futures.

Night smiled approvingly. “That sounds reasonable. Well, I partner with some of the other astronomy professors there, so maybe we’ll see each other.”

“Yeah, maybe,” Sunset said, smiling through her deception. She hated it but felt it was better and easier than telling the truth. Shining was still warming up to the idea that Sunset hailed from another dimension.

Dinner concluded and the adults bade Sunset good night as Twilight walked her outside. Crickets chirped merrily in the night, to which Spike responded with a loud bark.

Twilight slipped a hand into Sunset’s. “Thank you for helping Cadence. I just hope the girls agree, too.”

Sunset scratched the side of her face. “Yeah, me too. I feel a little bad for volunteering them. But, I don’t see why they would say no. It’s just one encore performance.”

Twilight used her free hand to play with one of her tresses. “Any room for a violin this time?”

Sunset pulled her close. “I think we can accommodate.”

A smile. Then Twilight leaned up and pressed her lips to Sunset’s. The cricket song fell away, and all Sunset heard was the delighted hum Twilight made in the back of her throat. It was moments like these that Sunset wished lasted forever. Where she didn’t have to worry about Sirens or Moondancer or the future. Just her and Twilight, the best girlfriend she could have asked for.

Their soft kiss dragged on until neither of them could breathe. They pulled away, smiling as they both regained their lost oxygen.

“I should probably head home before Selena worries,” Sunset said, adjust Twilight’s crooked glasses.

“Yeah, probably. I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

“Yeah.” They hesitated, neither one of them wanting to leave the other’s embrace. Sunset leaned down and gave Twilight another kiss before pulling apart and walking away. She started her motorcycle and gave a final smile and wave before putting her helmet on and riding off.

A surreal image of Twilight in a wedding dress occupied Sunset’s thoughts all the way home. Sunset didn’t want to bet the entire aspect of staying in this world on it, but if there was a future where her and Twilight were married…

Would make the choice a lot easier.

Sunset arrived back at the Lulamoon house and was greeted by Spot the minute she stepped through the door. He circled her ankles and pawed at her legs until she picked him up. “Hello, my favorite puppy. How are you?”

Spot licked her nose.

Sunset made her way upstairs, tiptoeing past Shimmer’s room. She was still riding the high from Twilight’s kiss and didn’t want her doppelganger to ruin it. Sunset had her hand on her bedroom door when a voice spoke behind her.

“So, I hear you’re trying to make friends with those stupid divas. Do you try and help everyone who’s tried to kill you?”

Heaving a sigh, Sunset turned around. Shimmer was at least wearing clean pajamas today. “It’s called being a nice person.”

“Didn’t they try to cause the apocalypse or something?”

“Well, I wouldn’t go that far, but yeah. They asked for a second chance, and I decided to give them one.”

Shimmer shook her head. “You are way too forgiving. Not that I care, since I hate them for ruining my life, but how’s this little reformation thing working out so far?”

Sunset wanted to stop and point out it was because she was so forgiving that Shimmer had a place to stay, but knew she wouldn’t care much. “It’s… progressing. I don’t know. It’s hard to get them to engage with my friends and the stuff we like to do.”

“That makes sense. I imagine French braiding each other’s hair and sharing compliments isn’t the pinnacle of fun.”

“That’s not what we do!”

“Tea parties and knitting circles then.”

Sunset set Spot on the carpet and crossed her arms. “Tell me, have you even had a friend before?”

Shimmer’s devil-may-care look morphed into one of thoughtful confusion before transitioning back to nonchalance. “Nope, don’t think so. Wouldn’t call old gang members friends, and Tempest wants me dead. Though… I mean, if Jörmungandr counts… I cared a lot about him… still do,” she said, casting her eyes to the floor.

Resisting the urge to unleash a snarky comment about Shimmer actually caring about something, Sunset said, “I didn’t have any friends either until last year. From the outside, yeah, it looks dumb and cheesy and a waste of time, but without them, that hate and resentment you had to experience—”

Shimmer dug her nails into her arm.

“—I never would have let go of that. I’d still be bitter, spiteful, and angry. Maybe even worse.” Sunset took a short breath. “Look, I’ll stop before I get preachy. Really trying to avoid that. I’m just saying, if you’ve never had a friend before, maybe give it a try. Life tends to suck less with them.”

Leaning against the doorframe, Shimmer didn’t respond immediately. One hand still dug into her arm, and she chewed the inside of her cheek. “Hypothetically,” she said slowly, “if I did want to make friends, how would I do that? Lamia is a wanted criminal, and we have an uncanny resemblance, you and I.”

Sunset pointed to Shimmer’s pixie haircut. “I dunno, with that style, you might be able to pass as my cousin or something.”

“Sure, sure. And then, who exactly would I be ‘friends’ with?”

“Well, you could start with my friends and I until you find some of your own.”

Shimmer let out a bark of laughter. “Two problems with that idea. One: I’m too old and too cool to be hanging with you kiddies. Two: again, I hate the Sirens.”

Sunset held her palms up. “I don’t know what to tell you then. Go join a club or something. But, if I’m being honest, you and the Sirens have a lot in common.”

“Sure we do. I’m not sharing the same room with the Sirens unless I get to deck one of them in the face.” Shimmer turned on her heel and retreated into her room. The door shut softly, however, compared to the usual slam she gave it.

Likewise, Sunset finally got to claim some peace of mind in her own room. She kicked off her boots and laid on her bed, letting Spot lick her cheek. She had a strong feeling that if they could all drop their egos and mellow out just a little, Shimmer and the Sirens would make decent friends.

Which, in turn, could be bad for everyone else.

The idea of Adagio and Shimmer plotting together soured the idea of Sunset playing friendship matchmaker. For now, she’d just worry about her own friends getting along with them.

*******

Sunset started her morning with a group text. She pondered the best way to bring up her preemptive volunteering to her friends as she laid in bed, phone out in front of her.

‘Hey, guys. Soooo…’

A minute later, Rainbow texted back, ‘Oh no, what did you do now?’

‘Nothing bad! Look, Cadence’s wedding band canceled on her, so I might have kinda sorta volunteered us to play instead.’

An ellipsis bubble came up on screen from Rainbow and Applejack, but before Sunset could see what they wrote, her phoned buzzed and Rarity’s picture took over the screen.

Sunset tapped the answer button. “Hello?”

“Sunset,” Rarity said in a breathless whisper, “are you telling me we get to perform and attend a wedding? A celebrity wedding?”

“Umm…” Sunset held the phone away from her ear, dreading what was about to happen next. “Yes?”

Rarity’s shrill shriek still managed to pierce Sunset’s eardrum. It grew more distant until Sunset could just barely hear her in the background.

There was a crackle of static, then a younger but familiar voice came over the line. “Sunset, why is Rarity running in circles and screaming?”

“Hi, Sweetie Belle. I just told her we were going to be playing at a wedding.”

“Awww, you guys have all the fun!”

The phone crackled again, and Rarity came back on. “Okay, okay, I’m fine! Everything is fine! Everything is fantastic! We’re going to perform at a wedding!I need to make everyone outfits!

The line went dead. Sunset shrugged and returned to reading the text messages.

‘Heck yeah, we’ll play at the wedding!’ Rainbow replied.

‘I’m guessing I still can’t play my banjo?’ Applejack asked.

Sunset typed a simple, ‘No.’

As she got out of bed and grabbed her clothes, Pinke responded, ‘OMG! A wedding! That’s gonna be so much FUN! Of course we’ll play!’ She then sent a long line of emojis.

The conversation continued while Sunset took a shower and got dressed. Everyone was on board with the plan, though Fluttershy had only texted a simple, ‘Okay,’ and had been silent ever since.

While her friends chatted, Sunset fixed herself a bowl of cereal for breakfast, finishing just as Twilight rang the doorbell. Sunset let her in, greeting her with a kiss on the cheek.

“Looks like everyone’s taking the news well,” Twilight said. She had on a simple blue shirt and shorts.

“Told you it’d be fine.” Sunset led her to the backyard where Selena was already waiting, two swords lying in the grass behind her.

Twilight bowed deeply and Selena mimicked her, smiling affectionately. “Welcome back, my pupil,” Selena said. She took a seat on the grass and gestured for Twilight to sit down across from her.

“Let’s begin with our usual meditation. Sunset, would you like to join us today?” Selena asked.

The last time Sunset meditated, she had ponied up. She wanted to do it again, but didn’t want to distract Twilight. On the other hand, she did want to observe Twilight’s training. Usually, she occupied herself with something else until Twilight was done.

“Sure, I can stick around.” She’d just have to be careful to not pony up this time. She took a seat on a patch of grass between Selena and Twilight.

Selena folded her hands in her laps and closed her eyes. “Clear your mind, Twilight. Focus on your breathing.”

“Yes, Ma’am.” Twilight copied Selena and breathed slowly through her nose.

Sunset closed her eyes as well, focusing on the rhythmic beating of her heart. Okay, this is as deep as you need to go. No need to try and pony up right now. Even though I still have no idea what my powers are. Or how to get back to phoenix mode. But, you can do that on your own time.

She tried to let her mind wander from topic to topic, like their forest expedition the day after next, or the wedding and how she’d be dancing with Twilight at the reception. She fought the giddy smile creeping up on her, trying to at least keep her face neutral. But seeing Twilight in her prom dress as the two of them danced in a beautiful reception hall sparked a warmth in Sunset’s heart. The reception hall turned into an altar, and Twilight’s prom dress evolved into a wedding gown.

Stop it. It’s way too early to be thinking about that. But the fantasy stayed firmly at the front of her mind. She supposed she couldn’t blame herself. Deep down, she wanted so badly to stay with Twilight. Yet, she longed to return to Equestria as well.

Sunset’s brain rewrote the scene so that both she and Twilight were ponies standing before Princess Celestia. It was ridiculous now. Twilight would never want to live in Equestria and leave the human world behind. But just being able to show Twilight Equestria’s beauty and magic would be a dream come true. Taking her to Neighagra Falls or the royal palace or Cloudsdale. Sunset showing off her innate magical prowess! Twilight learning all about the wonders of magic!

The warmth from her heart spread through the rest of her body, and before Sunset could stop it, she felt her pony ears and horn sprout on top of her head and her hair lengthen into a ponytail.

Crap! She opened an eye, relieved to see Twilight was too deep in concentration to notice. Sunset thought to move, but that would be more distracting than waiting for the meditation session to end.

I was trying not to pony up! How did I do this? Sunset spent the rest of her time trying to piece the mystery together. The other girls ponied up when they felt in tune with their element. But Sunset didn’t have an element. Did she?

A deep breath from Selena told Sunset the meditation session was over. “Very good, Twilight.”

Twilight opened her eyes and caught sight of Sunset. She jumped to her feet and pointed. “When, how, why?”

“Five minutes ago, I don’t know, and I don’t know,” Sunset responded. “I was trying not to be in tune with anything.”

“Twilight, focus,” Selena said, calm but firm. “Keep your mind on your training.”

Twilight stopped her gaping and straightened her posture. “Right. Sorry.” Her eyes flicked a few times in Sunset’s direction before lasering in on Selena.

Sunset excused herself and moved onto the patio, taking a seat at the lawn table just outside Twilight’s peripheral.

Selena clasped her hands behind her back and appraised Twilight with a critical look. “While your stamina and arm strength still need refining, you pick up on technique remarkably well. We still need to work on your foot placement and balance, but other than that, I think you’re ready to begin practice with real blades.”

Twilight let out a squee Sunset could hear from her seat.

“I thought about what type of sword would be best for you to get a handle on,” Selena said. “Based on your arm and wrist strength, it would have to be something light.” She gestured down to the swords lying on the grass. Both of them had intricately designed handguards: crossing strips of metal that looked like the weave of a basket. One was gold and the other was silver.

Selena picked up the gold sword and drew it from its sheath. “This is a basket-hilted sword, specifically a schiavona. While a rapier is primarily for thrusting, this is a cut and thrust sword. It has a little extra weight, but I think with proper conditioning, you can handle it.” She turned away from Twilight and gave the schiavona a few quick slashes, then twirled it in her palm and sheathed it.

“We’ll see how you do with transitioning from practice swords to this, then we’ll work on endurance training.” Selena gestured for Twilight to take up the silver-hilted sword.

Twilight took hold of it, running her fingers along the basket design. The hilt was so well protected, Sunset could hardly see it. Twilight withdrew the blade and held it in her hand, weighing the metal.

“What do you think?” Selena asked.

Twilight squared her shoulders. “I can do it.”

“Good.”

They stepped onto the patio, leaving the sheaths on the grass. Twilight took up her sword stance, holding the blade in front of her in her right hand and raising her left behind her head. She glanced back at Sunset for just a second before snapping forward again.

Selena walked around her, making adjustments to Twilight’s arm height and foot posture. “Remember, just because the blade is heavier doesn’t mean you have to squeeze it tighter. Keep your wrist loose. Now, let’s start with your movements.”

Twilight stepped forward, keeping her back straight and sword steady. She advanced forward, then backed up, occasionally inching her neck around to steal a glance at Sunset. She advanced again, then began to step from side-to-side, pausing to realign herself whenever her body fell out of synch.

Sunset noticed every time Twilight stepped, her feet tried to point inward toward each other. She chalked it up to Twilight’s subconscious habit of standing pigeon-toed half the time.

“Not bad,” Selena said after ten minutes of watching Twilight’s footwork. “Let’s work on your changes of engagement next.”

Twilight had already worked up a layer of sweat on her forehead. She readjusted her grip and brought her arm across her chest, then rotated her wrist and pointed the sword down. Sunset could hear the sword give a light rattle, even after Twilight had finished moving.

“Focus, Twilight,” Selena said.

The rattle stopped, and Twilight changed engagements again. Sunset didn’t know much about swordplay, but thought Twilight looked impressive. She could see what little muscle Twilight had in her arm giving it their all. Twilight continued rotating her wrist and moving her arm, looking perfect in Sunset’s eyes, until she tried to steal a glance Sunset. The rattling started again.

“Twilight, you’re not breathing,” Selena admonished.

Twilight took a sharp inhale of air. “Sorry.”

Sunset creased her brow. She couldn’t be sure, but with Twilight sneaking so many looks at her, Sunset had a feeling Twilight wasn’t usually this unfocused during her training.

As they began to work on strikes and thrusts, Sunset quietly excused herself back into the kitchen. She could feel Twilight’s eyes on her as she retreated inside. With a sigh, Sunset wandered to the fridge to look for a late morning snack.

Sorry, Sparky. You’re probably better of if I’m not watching. Still, that left Sunset with several hours of free time she didn’t know how to spend. She pulled an apple out of the fridge and closed the door, jumping when she found Shimmer just beyond it.

Shimmer raised an eyebrow. “Déja Vu,” she said in a bored tone.

Sunset reached up and felt her pony ears. “Oh, right, they’re still there.” She stepped out of the way to let Shimmer grab the milk. “What, no snappy insult today?”

“Meh. I can only call you a furry so many times before it stops being funny.” Shimmer grabbed a box of cereal from the cabinet and poured herself a bowl.

“Surprisingly mature of you.”

“But I am curious. Are those unicorn parts a turn on for book girl out there? Because if so, I know what her fetish is.”

“And I spoke too soon.” Sunset sighed into her apple before taking a bite. “Do you have something against Twilight, or do you just enjoy being a jerk?”

Shimmer took a bite of her breakfast. “Not really. She’s a textbook definition of a nerd; it’s hard not to make fun of her.” She took another bite and chewed thoughtfully. “But, credit where credit is due: at least she’s trying to improve herself.”

While she didn’t like it, part of Sunset couldn’t blame her doppelganger. If she had met Twilight before the Fall Formal, Sunset would have viciously mocked her and shoved her into lockers left and right. Still, only she was allowed to make fun of Twilight. Sunset was about to tell Shimmer as much when the back door slid open.

Twilight came inside, glistening with sweat and rolling her wrist. “I just came to get a drink of water.”

“I’ll get it for you!” Sunset said, setting her apple down. She could hear Shimmer’s eye roll. Ignoring it, she fetched Twilight’s water and handed it to her.

“Thanks. The weight difference between the practice sword and a real one isn’t a lot, but I can really feel it.” Twilight rolled her wrist again.

Sunset reached out and gently curled her fingers around Twilight’s wrist. A line of heat raced up through her arm and straight into her heart—her soul. The line tugged, like she, Sunset, who she was and everything that made her, was connected to something. Before she could ponder or even let go of Twilight, the world vanished in a pool of white light before coming back into focus. Only, Sunset wasn’t in the kitchen.

She stood on the patio, trying her hardest to keep her focus, but her curiosity kept spiking. Her head turned toward the right, but she gritted her teeth and focused on the sword in her hand. Practice now, magic later. She had to get better. Not just for her own sake, but for her friends. For Sunset!

She shifted her arm, her wrist trembling. Sunset was watching right now. She had to make sure she didn’t make a fool out of herself. But she couldn’t look like she was trying too hard! She wanted Sunset to leave. She wanted her to stay and watch.

Her head turned to the right again, just enough to see crimson and gold locks against a black jacket. Her heart hammered faster and her wrist trembled even more.

“Twilight, focus.”

“Sunset!”

Sunset ripped her hand away from Twilight and staggered back. The blazing tether snapped, and Sunset felt her soul settle into place. A flash of light popped over her head, and she felt her ears and hair return to normal and her horn vanish.

“You okay, mini-me? Or should I call a priest?”

Sunset didn’t register Shimmer’s voice. She took in a shuddering breath. What she had seen… what she had felt. The whole experience left her feeling like an exposed nerve.

Determination. Self-consciousness. Conviction. Love.

So much love.

Her eyes found Twilight, staring back at her with that love Sunset had been fully embraced in—lived first hand through Twilight’s eyes.

Twilight gingerly laid a hand on her shoulder. “Are you okay? What happened?”

Sunset’s thoughts started to line up. It had been a similar experience to when she and Shimmer made physical contact. Sunset had seen through her eyes, felt her feelings. But they hadn’t been this… raw before. This direct. Part of her could still feel Twilight—her emotions, her desires.

She looked at Twilight. “Wait… did you see anything?”

“No? Sunset, what happened? Your eyes just started glowing white and you were frozen in place.”

“Yeah, it was pretty freaky,” Shimmer’s usual disinterested tone had a slight edge to it.

Sunset ignored her and focused on Twilight. Why hadn’t Twilight seen anything? The connection always went two ways. “I… I saw you practicing, just now. Except it was from your point of view. And I could… feel what you were feeling.”

Twilight lifted a hand to her temple. “You… read my mind?” she asked, a note of betrayal in her voice.

“No.” Sunset laid a hand over Twilight’s. “I think I read your soul.”

Twilight turned beet red. “Th-that’s not much better! What did you read?”

“Well, I saw how much you want to get better for us.” Sunset’s own cheeks flushed and her heart hammered. “And… I felt how much you really care about me. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to invade.”

“O-oh. I... I mean, it's...okay?" Twilight's shoulders relaxed just a fraction. "And everything you felt is true. I love you."

“I love you too.”

A bowl scraped against the table, and Shimmer walked out muttering, “Yuri anime bullshit,” under her breath.

Both Sunset and Twilight quietly chuckled. Twilight finished her glass of water and set it aside. “I have so many questions. But, I have to get back to Selena.”

Sunset kissed her on the forehead, not minding the sweat. “Go. We have all summer to figure it out.”

Twilight gave a firm nod. “Right.” She rolled her wrist again and took a deep breath before heading back to the backyard, leaving Sunset alone to ponder.

She had caught a glimpse of Twilight’s soul. Was that her power? But she had done something similar with Shimmer and hadn’t been in her ponied up form then. And what happened to her phoenix powers?

Sunset looked out the window, where Twilight and Selena were already positioning themselves to cross swords. Between magical mysteries, science projects, swordplay, and the Sirens, it was going to be a very busy summer.

Author's Note:

Alternate chapter title: Smells Like Teen Spirit

Up next, something new for SS! A two-part(?) mini-arc!

PreviousChapters Next