• Published 25th Sep 2016
  • 24,332 Views, 3,778 Comments

Spectacular Seven - Albi



As graduation draws near, magic begins to awaken in the human world, drawing out old rivals and opening the doors to new adventures. It's up to Sunset and her friends to keep Canterlot safe, all while dealing with their looming futures.

  • ...
 3,778
 24,332

PreviousChapters Next
9. Uptown Blues

Sunset stood in the shower early Monday morning, turning thoughts over in her head as the hot water cascaded down her back. A night of dancing and laughing and cupcakes could only numb the pain for so long. She had spent most of Sunday thinking about the future whenever she wasn’t wondering about Lamia. She still hadn’t told her friends about the thief's real identity, or the most recent theft she had committed. She supposed there wasn’t much of a point.

What’s the point of doing anything now?

She raised her face to the hot water. No, don’t think like that! She wanted to hold onto Applejack’s words and think only of the good times they still had waiting for them. But thinking of the future just brought her mind to the inevitable conclusion.

Was this really to be her fate for the next two years? Sitting around aimlessly waiting for the portal to open while her friends got to go live their lives? It felt like the aftermath of the Fall Formal, when Sunset sat in her hovel and stewed over her justified defeat and reaped the consequences of her actions. Only this time, she wasn’t mad, she was just…

Jealous? Slimy and malicious, the word slithered into her brain.

She turned her head to let the water fall into one ear, hoping to drown the disgusting thoughts out. “Why would I be jealous? They earned everything they’re getting.”

Yes. They fought for it, just like how you fought for your crown. You fought for everything in your life. Yet this is where you end up. Look at them, the girls who beat you. Why do they get to live happy lives and you return to squalor?

“Stop it,” Sunset growled. “I cheated and hurt people on my way to the top. They fought fair and square. I am not going to stoop to being jealous of my friends for their successes.”

As much as she loved the idea of hiding in the shower, she knew Trixie would pound on the door any second. Sunset turned the water off and stepped out, wrapping a towel around herself. She cleared a small space in the fogged mirror.

I see green envy in those eyes of yours.

“They’re always that color!” Sunset said furiously.

“Stop talking to yourself and hurry up!” Trixie yelled, banging a fist on the door.

Sunset quickly brushed her teeth and ran a comb through her hair. She exited the bathroom, rubbing shoulders with Trixie on her way out. Sunset stomped into her room, being careful not to step on Spot, curled up on the carpet next to her bed.

“I’m not jealous of my friends and their accomplishments,” Sunset reaffirmed as she slipped her clothes on. “I’m sad and miserable, sure, but what else is new?”

“That’s right!” The voice always sounded like a rubber mouse being stepped on. The Princess Twilight plush doll gathered dust on top Sunset’s wardrobe. “It’s not fair to be mad at them for getting what they worked for.”

“It’s always a sad day when I’m agreeing with you,” Sunset said. Yet, why did this gross pit in her stomach persist? She was genuinely excited for them all. Sad, yes, but proud. She wasn’t that petty, vindictive child anymore. At least, she was trying not to be.

Deep down, you wanted Twilight to get rejected from every school so she could stay here with you.

“That’s not true!” Twilight was the one she was happiest for. The look of pain on her face with every rejection broke Sunset’s heart. She picked up her phone and scrolled through the group chat, looking at the collective excitement as the girls shared their acceptance announcements. Blocks and blocks of texts interspersed with pictures Sunset’s old phone had a hard time loading. She smiled, feeling tears gather at the corners of her eyes. But amidst the warm tears, she still felt something slimy coil in her stomach.

She blocked it out. She could never be jealous of what they did. But… maybe she was a little jealous of what she didn’t do?

“Uuugh! I’m done thinking about this!” She picked up her backpack and gave Spot a loving pat on the head. “I’m going to do what I do best: bury this problem and pretend it doesn’t exist.”

She grabbed the waffle Selena had toasted for her and rode her motorcycle to school, parking it the lot. This is it, Sunset thought, coming around to the front steps, eight weeks until graduation. And then… She shoved it down. She was going to enjoy her time with her friends, dammit! That enthusiasm dimmed when she remembered her first class was history. At least she had Rarity with her to suffer through it.

“From here on out, your noses will be against the grindstone,” Mr. Noteworthy said, scratching his chalk against the blackboard. “I’m well aware many of you have gotten your letters back from colleges. While I am honestly thrilled for all of you, let me stress that nothing is permanent. You slip up enough, they’re allowed to rescind their acceptances.” He faced the class. “So, to make sure that doesn’t happen, I’ll be giving you plenty of work to keep you sharp and focused.”

Since I’m not going anywhere, does that mean I can slack off now? Sunset wondered. She quickly scoffed at the idea. College or not, Sunset Shimmer was no slacker. She’d be damned if she let any of these underachievers surpass her superior grades.

Pretending she was better than everyone else still proved to be a great coping mechanism.

In addition to Moondancer, Flash joined the Spectacular Seven at lunch today, making the table rather crowded. Again, hard to be the Spectacular Seven if there’s nine of us, Sunset thought sourly as she bit into her sandwich. She could get over Flash sitting with them, but Moondancer taking up the seat on Twilight’s other side would never cease to irk Sunset.

With them returning to school, Sunset had hoped her friends would want to discuss something other than college. But, just like everywhere else, it dominated the conversation. She could only smile and eat her lunch in silence, speaking only when directly spoken to. Sunset wondered if her face could get stuck like this if she kept smiling long enough.

She didn’t share her third period with anyone, allowing herself to frown despondently to her heart’s content. Around her, she could hear the excited whispers of future’s being planned and paths being forged. For anyone that wasn’t in her friend circle, she couldn’t care less.

But, putting her smile back on was harder than it should have been when she met Twilight after school. It became easier as their conversation progressed, never broaching the topics of graduation and colleges. They retreated to Twilight’s house and did their routine of violin practice and homework.

Sunset kissed Twilight goodbye around six, the sun still setting over the suburbs. She tried not to impose on the Sparkle’s dinner, even if Mrs. Velvet urged her to stay. Sunset still had flashbacks to Thanksgiving.

Spot greeted her upon her return, jumping into her arms as soon as she set her bag down. They had gotten their routine down so well, it perfectly matched Twilight and Spike’s. Sunset brought Spot to her room and settled down to finish the last bit of homework for the night.

“Trixie has a question.”

Sunset sighed and turned in her seat, watching as Trixie settled her back against the door frame.

“What do you plan to do after graduation?” The smaller amount of smugness in her voice told Sunset she hadn’t meant it to be malicious.

“I don’t know. Something?”

“You’re not going back home?” Trixie asked, arching an eyebrow.

“The portal home doesn’t open for another two years. I’m stuck here until then.” Sunset tapped a pencil against her book. “And you know I can’t apply for college or anything so… I dunno. Maybe I’ll wander around the country for a bit.”

Trixie closed her eyes and moved her lips up and down, like she was chewing on a thought. “Well… Trixie supposes she could allow you to stay in her parents home even as Trixie elevates herself to new heights. Having you around has been… amusing for Trixie.” She opened an eye to Sunset.

Sunset couldn’t fight the smile pulling across her face. She cleared her throat to try and drive it away. “Boy, Trix, where would I be without your hospitality?”

“On the street, begging for coins no doubt.” Trixie proudly put a hand to her chest. “Yes, Trixie’s kindness knows no bounds. Though, she’s mostly doing it for Spot. He’d be sad if you left.”

“Hey, if I go, I’m taking him with me.”

Trixie picked him up and stuck her tongue out. “The second you leave, he is forfeit to Trixie. Be grateful I’m not kicking you out now.” She rubbed noses with him, then sat him down on the bed and sauntered down the hall.

Sunset turned back to her book, a grin still on her face. “I’ll miss you, too, Trixie.”

*******

Sunset sat in the stands of a large amphitheater, packed to the brim with family and friends cheering and screaming in delight. Balloons floated into the open sky, becoming lost in the ocean of blue. On the stage below her, Sunset could see her friends waiting in line to step up to the podium. They were adorned in blue caps and gowns, and wore victorious smiles. Sunset cheered as each of their names were called. Once Celestia handed them their diplomas, they vanished into thin air.

Twilight was the last to receive hers. Upon grabbing it, instead of vanishing on the wind like everyone else, she appeared next to Sunset, their wrists cuffed together.

“Why didn’t you go with the others?” Sunset asked.

“I can’t,” she said, a vacant smile on her face. “You’re here. I can’t leave you here alone.”

Sunset looked about and found the amphitheater empty, leftover confetti and balloons strewn about the stands. A dark cloud moved over them and the wind picked up into a gale. Sunset led Twilight out of the stadium, still chained together, with Twilight giving her a dopey-eyed smile. They ran out to a wide grass field that stretched on for miles, hills rising and falling and trees scraping at the sky.

The gale turned into a squall, and a familiar dread crawled up Sunset’s spine telling her what would come next. A malicious laugh filled the air, and a pillar of fire exploded in front of the girls. The surrounding field caught aflame, turning into an ashen landscape.

“Poor little Sunny,” a raspy voice cooed. “Left all alone by her friends. Everywhere to go, but no destination.” A figure stepped out of the fire, her skin glowing red hot. She showed off her sharp teeth in a wide smile. “Why not come home to me?” She spread her arms out. “I’ll give you a purpose again!”

Sunset held an arm in front of her face to fend off the overbearing waves of heat. “I don’t need you! I still have Twilight!”

Her demon crossed her arms in smug triumph. “Do you now?”

Sunset’s other arm felt surprisingly light, and when she turned to look, she found Twilight had vanished. Twisting about, Sunset found her being carried off by a glowing Moondancer, flying away on ethereal wings.

Before Sunset could get a curse in, her demon pounced on her, pinning her to the ground while the flames encircled around them. “You have nothing left, little sun,” she whispered. “No friends, no future, no power. Just submit! We can be something together! We can have our old glory back!”

“No!” Sunset struggled under her vice-like grip, watching the fire creep closer. “I refuse to go back! Maybe I don’t have a future, but I’m never going back to the past!” Her skin took on a golden hue. “And I have enough power to defy you!”

With a force of will, Sunset snapped her eyes open, finding the ceiling of her room. She took a couple of short, deep breaths and turned on her side. Her clock told her it was only three in the morning. She tightened the cocoon of blankets around her and snuggled against her pillow, but couldn’t find the courage to close her eyes.

It had been the first nightmare that hadn’t ended in fire or death. In fact, it had been the first nightmare that ended in what Sunset could call a victory. But why was her demon haunting her so much?

Sunset rolled over. It all came back to magic. If she hadn’t ponied up at the concert… if she hadn’t put on that stupid crown… if she hadn’t run away through the mirror. Was it guilt or homesickness she felt? Perhaps it was both.

“Maybe it’s because you can’t let go of the past,” Princess Twilight said.

Sunset didn’t respond. She couldn’t just let go. Everything she had done up until the Fall Formal… years and years of a building ego and superiority…. She hated that part of herself. It was her defining reason to try and be better. Maybe it was the guilt that kept her demon coming back. But it was hard not to feel guilty over almost killing the people who would become her best friends.

She rolled over again, eyes falling on the clock. It was going to be another long night.

*******

Ding dong ding dong…

Moondancer made a small, “harrumph” as she stirred her tea. Days later, and Lamia’s words still danced through her head. She felt vindicated. She had been right all along! Sunset wasn’t human! She wasn’t even from this world!

Ding dong ding dong…

Now, how did she proceed? Twilight was no doubt still under Sunset’s influence to some degree. Then again… Moondancer had a few reservations. A magical pony didn’t sound dangerous. And that night in the mountains… Moondancer had heard Sunset crying to Twilight. Sunset had been scared of her own magic. Something about it being separate from herself? Moondancer was still missing a piece of this story.

Maybe… it’s unintentional? The dark premonition I feel whenever I’m near her? Maybe she doesn’t mean to keep Twilight enthralled.

Ding dong ding dong…

Still, the fact remained that Sunset Shimmer was a parasite! Just like Tempest. Moondancer didn’t care what she was, she was still an extra in a play full of characters Moondancer already couldn’t stand. She didn’t have time for extras, especially those that stole her spotlight, or her Twilight.

Ding dong ding dong...

“Would someone please get the door!” she yelled from the parlor. When she heard no evidence of anyone moving toward the front door, she rose from her comfy chair and stomped to the entrance hall. She had just settled in from school and now she was being forced from her leisure time to answer doors? Could she have no comforts today?

She paused in front of the large ornamented doors to fix her hair and her smile. Be at ease, Moondancer. Make it short, but keep a polite demeanor. Three, two, one, showtime! She pulled the door open. “Good day—ah! U-Uncle Artemis!”

Artemis swept his hat off his head and bowed. “Little Moonflower! How are you, my sweet niece?”

Moondancer recovered and cleared her throat. “I’m doing well, thank you for asking. I’m surprised to see you here though. You don’t come around to visit the Upper Villa.”

“Untrue,” he said with a wag of his finger. “It just so happens I have terrible timing. In all my previous attempts to visit, you and your father were both away.”

“Truly? That is indeed unfortunate,” she said, feeling an itch on the back of her neck. “Well, you know how busy we are.”

“Yes, it makes it rather hard to spoil you.” Artemis laughed, then pulled her in for a warm hug. “It doesn’t help that you’re already fabulously wealthy. What to get for the girl who has everything?”

Not everything, Moondancer thought, savoring the hug.

Artemis released her, then frowned. “Are you sure you’re okay? You look a little flushed.”

Moondancer fanned her face and took a deep breath. “Oh… I suppose public school is just more stressful than I imagined it would be.”

“Well, I’m glad I came when I did.” Artemis gestured to the world behind him. “I thought you and I could spend a little time together. We could get ice cream, go for a little walk.” He smile wavered and his voice became somber. “And then maybe… we could go see your mother.”

Moondancer felt her heart stop for a moment. She kept her expression perfectly still while she tried to process what her uncle had meant. Her heart started again, and she composed herself a second time. “Oh, that sounds lovely.” Her voice shook, and she cursed herself for breaking character.

“If you don’t want to, I understand—”

“No, no! I haven’t seen her in a while. It would be… nice. Let me just grab a jacket.” She retreated inside, leaving the door open a crack. Keep calm, Moondancer. Play it safe, and we’ll get through this. She furrowed her brow. And when Tempest yells at us, we can blame the servants.

She grabbed a jacket, slipped on the best pair of shoes that went with her dress, and returned to Artemis, snapping the door shut behind her. “Shall we be off?”

“Let’s!” He offered his arm to her. Once she grabbed onto it, he shouted, “Lulamoon!” and the world twisted in on itself before Moondancer felt like she was shot out a cannon. When the rushing wind and pressure disappeared, she was left with a face full of blue smoke.

“I forgot how… unpleasant that was,” she said, fanning it away. Looking up, she found they had teleported right in front of The Fifty Flavors Palace.

“Okay, girls, what do you want?”

“I want strawberry flavor!”

“Trixie wants peanut butter!”

Moondancer brought a hand to her mouth, covering her smile. A younger Moondancer had come here often. A Moondancer that had a mother that loved her, a father that paid attention, and a family she could talk to. She pushed the door open and stepped inside, inhaling the sweet scent of fifty ice cream flavors lined up in their tubs.

She glided up to the display counter and looked over her option, already knowing which flavor she’d pick. Rich, decadent, and a perfect shade of pink, she chose strawberry. Her uncle picked cotton candy, and they settled down at a small table near the back.

“How have things been, Moony?” Artemis asked before taking a large spoonful of blue and pink ice cream. “We hardly ever see each other now.”

“Everything’s fine,” Moondancer said pleasantly. “Despite my earlier appearance, public school has proven to be quite interesting. Such a wide variety of characters from a wide variety of backgrounds. It’s nice seeing how the common folk go about their daily business. Though I do believe the education overall was better at the academy. But I suppose there’s no such thing as perfect.”

Artemis made a throaty chuckle. “Same old Moondancer. Well, your primary education is almost at an end! Tell me, what are your plans next? There’s many doors open for a girl like you.”

Less than you would think. “I applied for several performing arts schools and got accepted into most of them. But they also loved me back in France, so I could go back and do some more modeling.” She swirled her spoon in the air. “So many choices, so little time.”

Artemis gave her a bemused smile. “Both exciting prospects. And there’s no such thing as ‘so little time.’ You have your whole life ahead of you.”

Moondancer allowed herself a small smile. “True enough.” She savored a spoonful of strawberry before speaking again. “But enough of me, how have you been, Uncle?”

An unexpected shadow dulled his bright aura. “Things were fine until a few nights ago. Someone broke into our house and stole a forbidden artifact.”

The spoon dropped from Moondancer’s hand. “What? But, but how? Did they take your key? Did they use magic?”

Artemis tapped his star-studded hat. “My key never leaves my sight. And as far as I’m aware, this thief doesn’t have any magic.”

“But they can’t have Mother’s key,” Moondancer whispered frantically. “It’s… and how could they have known about it anyway? What did they even take?”

“That’s the cherry on top of this bitter slice of cake.” Artemis paused to take a bite of his ice cream. “I’m not sure. I never bothered to make a list of all the things we’ve dropped in there.”

Moondancer tapped a manicured nail on the table. “Uncle…”

“I know, not my best showing. Right now, we can just hope she didn’t take anything too dangerous. In the meantime, if you hear anything strange—”

“I shall consult you posthaste.” Moondancer smiled at him. She loathed to lie to his face, but… it was for a greater cause. “Despicable thieves aside, how is everything else? As I understand it, you have a new houseguest.”

Artemis beamed into his bowl. “Yes, Sunset Shimmer. She’s a delight, just needs to laugh more. I know there’s a sense of humor buried somewhere beneath all that surliness.”

Moondancer saw an opening. Lamia had told her an ample amount, but she needed as much of the narrative as she could get. “Pray tell, how did she end up with you?”

“She had been working for me for a while and needed help. Of course I was going to say yes,” he said simply.

“You do have a noble soul, Uncle.” Moondancer took another spoonful of ice cream to help mask her frustration. “She’s certainly an interesting character. I understand she played a part in defeating the Sirens.”

“It was stupendous magic!” Artemis said, throwing his hands into the air. “She and her little friends are quite the colorful heroes.”

“From the parts I remember, yes, they are. I must admit though, I’m so curious as to where or how they acquired such powers. I remember the stories you and Mother told. The Sirens were dangerous.”

“It’s a long story,” Artemis said, stirring his ice cream.

Moondancer leaned forward just an inch.

“And not one for me to tell.” He scooped out a spoonful of his cotton-candy treat and dropped it on his tongue. “That’s a story she’ll share with you when she’s ready.” He rose a hand to his mouth and giggled like a schoolboy. “Sorry, the beginning still tickles me. Her circumstances are no laughing matter, but her origins… you’ll find out in due time.”

Moondancer kept a tight lid on her bubbling emotions, channeling that energy into digging her nails into her leg. “That is fair. I am trying to get to know her better on behalf of Twilight.”

Artemis smiled fondly. “I think she’s a good soul.”

I respectfully disagree. I vehemently disagree. She’s the second coming of Tempest, taking everything that should be mine! She is like a plague! Moondancer quietly finished her ice cream, having mostly melted into strawberry soup.

With their dessert finished, she and Artemis took a short stroll down the street. He told her that teleporting on a full stomach was never a good idea.

Uptown Canterlot wasn't as extravagant as the Upper Villa, but Moondancer could concede that it had its charms. Decently sized houses with neatly trimmed lawns, and a town center with cute, family owned shops. She allowed her uncle to spoil her by taking her to a clothing store and buying a cute pink sundress. In return, she recounted a few of her escapades in France.

It was nice to be dotted on. She couldn’t remember the last time she had been spoiled by someone other than herself. She knew she didn’t need anymore gifts; both her closet and her jewelry box were filled to the brim. But when she peeked into the bag and saw the dress, she knew she would be keeping this one.

Another twist in the fabric of spacetime, and the world had gone from a warm murmur, to a solemn silence. Moondancer and Artemis stood at the start of stone black path that wound its way through a green field. The old trees overhead were beginning to grow buds after their long winter sleep, giving a little green to their ash colored branches. Artemis stepped first, crossing under the iron threshold of Canterlot Cemetery.

Headstones and plaques covered the fields. On the hills in the distance were the mausoleums and tombs, pale white, and ominous in the dying light of day. The Lulamoons didn’t have to go to far in to find their destination. Apalla rested in the shade of one of the willow trees. Her headstone was sky blue, standing out from the pale colors around her.

In loving memory of Apalla Lulamoon

A wonderful witch, sister, and mother

Moondancer knelt and put a hand to the cold stone. “Hello, Mother,” she said, her voice cracking. She took a breath and started again. “I know it’s been a little while since I visited. I went to Paris last fall. I know how much you loved Paris. And I’m almost done with high school. Just a couple of months. I don’t know what I’ll do after, but…” She pressed her lips together. “I know I’ll make the world a better place.”

Artemis knelt beside her and placed a hand on her back. “Hey, sis. It’s probably been even longer since I’ve been here. But, as you would tell me, ‘life goes on.’ But it’s still a little duller without you. Trixie’s about to go off on her own. Can you believe how fast these two have grown up?” He quickly wiped his sleeves across his eyes. “I’ll need to find a few more hobbies after she’s gone. Maybe Sunset will stick around for a little while. Oh, I haven’t told you about her. She’s a treat. You would’ve liked her. Sort of our foster daughter. I consider her family at least.”

Moondancer’s blood boiled, but she focused her stare on the tombstone.

“The Sirens managed to escape and come here, too! It was quite the harrowing story. I spent most of it as their prisoner. Not my finest hour. But lo and behold, the city has a few heroes of its own. Life is just full of surprises, isn’t it?” He took out his wand and gave it a wave. A bouquet of flowers came together and rested itself at the foot of the grave.

Blue roses. Apalla’s favorite.

Moondancer stood, softening her gaze. “I’ll come back soon, Mother. We’ll have to celebrate my graduation, right?” The wind whistled through the trees. If she didn’t already know better, she might have thought that was her mother agreeing.

Artemis brought her back to the manor just as the sun hit the horizon. They admired it for a while before he turned and kissed her on the forehead. “I had a wonderful time today.”

“As did I,” Moondancer said. “It’s not often I get to do something like this, so…” she swallowed a lump in her throat. “Thank you, Uncle.”

“You’re more than welcome, little moon.” He cupped a hand to her cheek. “And I know Canterlot is a big city, but we’re just on the other side. If you ever need anything, just give me a call.”

Moondancer leaned into his hand. “I will. I promise, I’ll try to make more time in the future.”

“As will I. We’re Lulamoons, are we not? We’re family!”

Moondancer’s mask almost fell. She didn’t want to play this character anymore. She wanted to tell him everything. But she kept herself collected and gave Artemis a strong hug. “I should go. I still have homework to do.”

Artemis patted her back. “Yes, yes, off with you then. You’re almost finished; don’t start shirking your work now.” He stepped back and lifted his wand. “Love you! Lulamoon!” And with another puff of smoke, he was gone.

When the wind blew it all away, Moondancer stepped inside, finding her father waiting on the bottom step of the grand stairs. She saw his cross stare, and curtsied in return. “Hello, Father. Long day at work?”

“Moondancer…”

I had a fine day at school, thank you for asking.”

“You know the rules, Moondancer.”

Moondancer walked up to him and put a hand on her hip. “Well, perhaps if someone had answered the door!” she yelled down one of the hallways. “Maybe this wouldn’t have happened. Besides, wouldn’t it be suspicious if we never spoke to them ever again?”

“I’m trying to keep us safe,” Night Shade said with a hint of urgency. “You know what Tempest said.”

She shot him a venomous glare. “I’m aware of her words. And her actions.” And your lack of them. Every fiber of her being told her to say the last part aloud, but she held herself back and settled for stomping past him and up the stairs, keeping a tight grip on Artemis’ gift.

She reached her room and slammed the door shut before gently sitting her bag next to the closet. Slipping out of her sandals, she carried herself across the plush purple carpet and sat on the edge of her four-poster bed. On her bedside vanity sat embroidered pictures of her when she was younger, together with Trixie’s side of the family. Accompanying them were pictures of Twilight, bowed ever-so-slightly in each of them, trying to avoid making eye contact with the camera.

Moondancer reached for one. Twilight and her had taken a selfie in the garden, the flowers around them in full bloom. Such a short time ago. Yet so many things had changed. Moondancer exchanged the picture for her phone. No new messages. She let it drop against the satin sheets. That wasn’t uncommon these days. Sure, Twilight could carry a conversation if Moondancer texted her. But starting one? No, Twilight had someone else occupying her time now.

A knife twisted in Moondancer’s heart. She got to her feet, hands clenched. A thousand images flashed across Moondancer’s eyes, all of them depicting Twilight and Sunset, laughing and smiling and kissing. And Moondancer was stuck here, her freedom shrinking again by the day.

Four years ago, she had finally been allowed true access to the outside world again. She got to attend private school and interact with other adolescents. And then Twilight had drifted by, nose in a book. Every answer she gave in class was poignant and well thought. She was delicate. She was humble.

She was Moondancer’s reward for her long years of isolation. At least, that was what her heart said.

Instead, history rhymed with its earlier verse and introduced Sunset from nowhere. She swooped in, took Twilight, wiggled her way into her family...

Moondancer balled her hand into a fist. She would not let this cruel song reach its chorus again. She would defeat Sunset and reclaim her treasure. Then, she could focus on her true goal.

Author's Note:

Alternate Chapter Title: Fight For It

PreviousChapters Next