• Published 2nd Dec 2014
  • 509 Views, 2 Comments

My Melody - DouglasTrotter



Sweetie Belle discovers a secret of Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, and she starts questioning her own talents.

  • ...
1
 2
 509

Epilogue "My Friends. My Duties"

Water droplets down the cold stone walls in the dark prison; they landed in a small pool before running into tiny waste gutter. The flickering flames, from the torches on the wall, barely illuminated the dungeon beneath Canterlot Castle. Amongst the bleak surroundings, a mare stood silent. Her eyes focused on the prisoner behind the cell door in front of her.

"Why do you. Visit me?" Empress Hyaline said.

The mare maintained her silence. Her saddlebag flap opened in a fluid motion then closed. Three small, spherical objects levitated toward the deposed changeling ruler.

"You know," Empress Hyaline cleared her throat, "I do wonder. What would have happened?" She said. Her eyes traced the outline of the mare in front of her. The mare trotted away, no word being said. Empress Hyaline thought to herself, "Perhaps a small form of penitence for my actions will be the fact I helped one filly move forward."

Out of the dungeon, Sweetie Belle pulled back the hood on her cloak. She smiled at the small table near the kitchen's door as she trotted down the red carpet. Her horn illuminated and a gentle tune to her voice, she teleported into Carousel Boutique.

"How many times have I told you to be on time." Rarity said. An audible huff followed while she levitated several boxes closer. "Why do you insist on visiting her?"

"Just paying my respects, 'big sis.'" Sweetie Belle said, ending with a chuckle.

"Such a beautiful figure you, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom have taken on." Rarity said with a polite smile. Her eyes followed the "Rouge" colored dress that was levitated out of one. "Yes, I do believe that color will do nicely. Now, hold still. This needs to be done just right. My reputation is on the line." Rarity's shoulders relaxed as she calmed, "I did mean to ask, where are Apple Bloom and Scootaloo?"

"Scootaloo is still the same. She enlisted with the wonderbolts, becoming one of their best recruiters for pegasi. At least, from what I have read about her. I watched one of her shows, and it was awesome." Sweetie Belle said.

Rarity raised an eyebrow. Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes.

"I mean, her 'performance was splendid to behold." Sweetie Belle said, receiving a nod from her big sister. "Scootaloo's 'ascension' is quite the crowd pleaser. Her wings shoot out. She power ascends into the sky. And, after she reaches her zenith, she speeds toward the crowd and produces a small boom near them."

"It's missing something..." Rarity said.

"I know you judge my shows, but not Scootaloo's too. Come on." Sweetie Belle said.

"Now now, you're a lady. Do not talk like a filly. Besides, I meant your -- 'idea!'" Rarity said. She dashed up to the guest bedroom and hurried down with a small red cape. "This emblem will work as a perfect adornment."

"Sis..." Sweetie Belle said. Her hoof clutched onto the tattered cloak. Rips, holes, and several marks garnished the cloak, the center piece remaining intact despite the outer parts. "To think we all earned our cutie marks that day. You and the others must have felt horrible for grounding us, huh?"

"Sweetie Belle, you could have been seriously hurt. I will admit, with Rainbow Dash's uncouth wording, that was one 'awesome' day. In all honest, I don't know who was happier. You and your friends for earning their cutie marks, or Twilight for accomplishing her goal of taking on a full time protégé." Rarity said. She looked up to her sister, smiled, and took the cloak. The stitches removed, the emblem was sewn into the new dress. "Trust me, I will make this dress one of my masterpieces. I am the 'grand couturier' after all."

Sweetie Belle resumed her conversation. "Apple Bloom is beyond me. After we graduated from Mrs. Cheerilee's class, I saw less and less of her. Two years ago, she just vanished. Scootaloo believed she saw Apple Bloom at Twilight's castle a month ago, but Twilight said there was no pony there but her and Fluttershy."

"There," Rarity said, slipping a final needle through the chest piece. She materialized the dress onto her sister, gave a firm nod, and then removed it, placing it in a box. "Here's a present from your 'big' sister, heh heh."

"Sweetie Belle!" A voice shouted, Carousel Boutique's front door thrusting open. Scootaloo galloped in. "Sup Rarity. Yo, Sweetie Belle. Twilight needs us. A 'friend' is coming too."

"A pleasure to see you as well, Scootaloo." Rarity said. She turned to her sister, "Go on. I'll have my 'assistant' deliver this to your show. He's eager to see one, 'Princess of Songs.'"

"Ugg," Sweetie Belle said. She darted off behind Scootaloo, both galloping toward the castle in Ponyville.

"Why do you hate that title so much?" Scootaloo said.

"For one thing, I'm not an alicorn. Neither are you. Apple Bloom isn't an alicorn either. Also, I hate titles, 'Princess of the Sky.'"Sweetie Belle said. She sighed. The two continued their rapid pace into the center of Ponyville. "There are ponies that watch every move I make. It all happened cause that stupid paparazzo took a picture of me, you, and Apple Bloom being bequeathed those honorary titles to help out Twilight."

Scootaloo snickered at her friend as they passed by Mr. Orchard's shop, soon passing Mr. Vanilla's stand in the market district. "Hey. Get me a ticket to your show tomorrow. I want to see one. I'll be bringing a friend too."

"Someone's got a colt friend." Sweetie Belle said, maintaining her composure while darting passed several fans.

"No I don't. It's just a friend I like to talk with." Scootaloo blushed.

Sweetie Belle chortled then looked at Scootaloo and her own body. "I had no idea what Apple Bloom meant back in the swamp until we had those growth spurts. There's no way my song could have leeched Twilight's magical essence, placing part of it into us."

Both mares stopped. The crystal castle towered above them. A small platoon of soldiers stood at attention. Shining armor saluted the captain of the Royal Ponyville guard before departing toward the train station.

Sweetie Belle waved to the stallion inspecting the troops. "Hey, Big Macintosh. I thought you were off duty."

"Nope." Big Macintosh said. "A 'friend' is in there to see ya'll."

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle bolted inside, heading for the library. Both saw a mare standing in the center with a starry hooded robe over her body. The pony maintained a firm gaze on the globe in front of her. She was tackled.

"Apple Bloom," Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo said in unison, "How have you been?"

Apple Bloom removed her hood, smirked, and looked at her friends. "Ya'll know I let ya do that, right."

Sweetie Belle jabbed her friend in the side before Scootaloo ruffled her mane.

"Before ya say it, 'Princess of Songs,' ah ain't no 'fortune teller.' Ya understand," Apple Bloom said, sticking her tongue out at her friend. "Sorry ah haven't contacted either of ya in some time. Princess Luna has been whipping my flank with her new trainin' regiment. Ah can't believe she expects me to watch ten hourglasses at once, tryin' ta figure out which grain of sand falls first."

Scootaloo tapped a hoof against her chin.

"Before ya say it Scoot, I know about the filly at your show." Apple Bloom said.

"Heh, now ya know why it was hard to get ya presents for your birthday. Needed Princess Luna's help to shield em from your foresight. That one birthday was a doosy." Scootaloo said.

Apple Bloom looked to her friend, "Ya know, that turn of yours could have worked better if you put more force into it."

Scootaloo grumbled. "Yea, yea. Rainbow Dash took time off from her position in Canterlot to let me know that one. How's Applejack doing?"

"She's doin fine. Pinkie swings by from time to time. The farm gets rather lonely with just her on it." Apple Bloom said as her ears lowered. She sighed, shook her head, and grinned. "Anyways... Twilight, ya shouldn't keep your 'princesses' here waiting, heh heh. Ah know your by the book case behind me."

Majestic wings opened. Twilight floated to the ground, facing the mares at eye level. "Sharper than ever. You know why I bequeathed those honorary titles to you, right."

"It's nice and all, but..." Sweetie Belle said. She stopped herself. "Never mind. What's the mission for the Cutie Mark Protectors, 'your highness.'"

Twilight groaned. She levitated a book off the nearby shelf and sat in her chair. "Don't call me that. I'm just temporary Ruler of Equestria till Princess Celestia returns. Princess Luna raises the sun and moon, and I fill in for the mundane tasks." her hoof pointed toward a large stack of papers, "You see this? It's ridiculous. What mare, in her right mind, fights a store owner over a bad grape?"

"Uhh, Twi," Apple Bloom whispered, "You'll want to cool it. That 'mare' is coming --"

The doors burst opened. An elderly mare shook an angry hoof at Twilight. Several tense moments passed. Two bits given, the pony left after giving a soured look at Big Macintosh.

"Ah swear, she gets more and more crotchety as the years go by. Ta think ah'm related to her," Apple Bloom said, ending with a sigh. "No. Granny. Dang it, don't do that."

Scootaloo turned to Apple Bloom, "What she do now?"

"What 'will' she do," Apple Bloom said. She placed a sac of ten bits onto the table near Twilight's chair. "She'll be back in here tomorrow. This will pay for the stuff she eats in the store next week, believing it's free samples day."

"Not one missed," Twilight said with a chuckle. She rose to her hooves. Looking at the mares in front of her, Twilight saw illusionary visages near their front hooves; the images appeared as Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle's energetic, filly, Cutie Mark Crusader selves. "I bet your sisters are proud of you."

"Enough mushy stuff!" Scootaloo said, saluting Twilight. She was joined by Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. "The Cutie Mark Protectors are here to serve. What's the mission?"

"Apple Bloom can fill you in on the details. Princess Cadence and Princess Luna will accompany you on this one. I will accompany you after I finish this last task." Twilight said. She saluted the mares, lowered her hoof, and chuckled at them. "Alright, alright. That's enough formality out of you three. This 'mission' involves a rather unusual pony that cropped up in the badlands. Princess Luna believes it's a creature that materialized from the realm of nightmares."

"We are the Cutie Mark Protectors. We will protect Equestria!" The three said in a boisterous tone.

"Go, my crusaders. Protect Equestria, but, above all else, assure your safety and come back home." Twilight said.

Joined by Princess Luna and Princess Cadence, the mares headed off as Sweetie Belle hummed a quick tune, illuminated her horn, and teleported the group toward the badlands.

"We'll train some more when you get back." Twilight said, gazing at a picture on her ornate crystal table; the picture showed her standing beside a grown Sweetie Belle, both giving ecstatic grins toward the camera. "You've become a fine vocalist and magical practitioner. Sweetie Belle, 'Princess of Songs.'"

Author's Note:

I want to apologize for this taking so long to finish up. Life has "hopefully" taken a turn for the better here. It may mean less stories, but I hope not.

Anyways, this is the final chapter for Sweetie Belle's story, and a conclusion for my Cutie Mark Crusader arc involving Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle. There "might" be one final story for the arc, though I'm hesitant about it since I like the way this arc ends.

Also, I there are people out there willing to help, I could use a pre-reader to help with grammer/idea/spell checking for my stories. I would like to get several stories into a better format so they're easier on the eyes.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment