• Published 3rd Jun 2012
  • 1,247 Views, 9 Comments

Celestia's Sacrifice - Thunder Seethe

  • ...
2
 9
 1,247

Ch.5

Celestia's Sacrifice

Thunder Seethe


Ch.5 - Bidding Adieu

The Princess continued her letter writing as much as she could. She wanted to get every confession out, and try her best to set everything straight before she did what she must. Her time was limited, and so was her sister's. She made haste, and had gone through every memory throughout the years.

Fillyhood, first becomings of Princesses, adulthood, the ups and downs, the favors never fulfilled, promises broken and kept. All written on one piece of paper.

It was a beautiful night, one again raised by the sun goddess who sat on top of the mountain, and stared at the beautiful shining moon, which was her sister's prison.

She sighed at the thought. She wouldn't be here long, and goddesses; unlike other ponies, don't have a second life. An afterlife. Once they give up their immortality - or lose it, they're gone forever. Then soon to be forgotten by others as time goes on, no matter how big of an impact they left on society. It's only a matter of time...

The Princess finished her thought when she heard the grass being disturbed, followed by crunching of small sticks from the nearby tree that had grown over the years. Without turning around, she greeted her. "Thank you for joining me tonight Twilight."

Twilight stopped for a second, surprised that she knew of her presence, but continued not wanting to be rude. "It was no problem." Twilight walked up to her loving mentor, and sat next to her while staring up at the moon.

They sat there in silence for a few moments until the Princess spoke up. "Twilight?"

Twilight looked over at the Princess who was still staring at the moon and replied, "Yes?"

"How would you like to be... a successor?" Celestia said as she looked towards Twilight, while keeping one eye on the moon.

"What?" Twilight asked in surprise.

"I will be gone soon... You only need to rule until Luna's return, which should be soon. Please, this is the last favor I ask of you." Celestia pleaded.

Twilight stopped to think for a few moments. She thought of when her sister Luna was supposed to return, and the date she was supposed to pass. She looked back up to her mentor to find tears streaming down her face. She was no longer looking at Twilight, but she was up against the tree. Her head rested on its roots as she cried, letting the moisture of her tears feed the tree.

Without any further thinking, Twilight walked up to her mentor and lay next to her as a few tears started to form in her own eyes, and replied, "Yes."

They both lay there in silence as the moon shone above, and Twilight drifted off into a deep sleep.

The Princess was still wide awake, and was still crying on the roots of the tree. She tried to regain her composure, but was only able to stand and realize that Twilight was asleep. She picked Twilight up with her magic, and brought her back to the castle. She lay her in the bed, her tears now slowly forming from her face. She decided to cast a spell on Twilight to give her sweet dreams.

The Princess walked back to her room, and glanced looking at the empty piece of paper, that was supposed to be her goodbye to her sister. She started it at last, and she planned for this to be her last night.

Dear My Beloved Sister Luna,
Hi Luna... I'm... I guess what I want to start off with is... I have been a terrible sister. Forgive me. I have told lies that spread throughout Equestria. I'm sorry! You may not know what happened to you, so I will explain.
I'm sorry for what you're about to read.
Ever since the beginning of our monarchy, we have been given the attribute to raise the sun, and raise the moon. You probably know that, so I won't waste time getting into it. My time is running short.
The whole Nightmare Moon thing is a lie... a lie that I had created. What really happened... was something that was all my fault. My overreaction that caused you to be banished to the moon. It was unjustified, and for that I can only hope for your forgiveness. This is the story I have remembered for over a thousand years Luna. I remember it like it was yesterday, and hopefully you'll remember some of this.

It was another day, we were only a few hundred years old at the time. You were still aged like a filly, and I more as a teen. I was fascinated with spells, and their attributes, so I took the will on trying to create my own. We were closer than ever at the time, so I thought... why not test it on you, as it isn't to do any harm. It was meant to treat ponies who were depressed, and needed help to move on.

It was supposed to help... the spell I tested on you many years ago. I should have been thinking, or done more studying. If only I haven't done such a thing, I would still be here... I wouldn't have been such a terrible sister. I apologize.

I don't know where to start; how this all began, the current news? The advances in technology have definitely improved since your last presence. I'm not very good at this... I've never thought that I'd have to do it this early. I just hope you know that I truly do love you, and I will always. Even if I won't have an afterlife.

A few years after I banished you, I had to make a speech explaining my action. People weren't very proud of my excuse, and I regret making one. I lied. I made up this monster called, "Nightmare Moon" which supposedly took control of you and that you threatened to make night last forever. What I regret even more is, ponies began to hate you. Others started a cult called The New Lunar Republic. I've started such chaos, I may as well be banished. Then, a young filly approached me one night when I visited you on the highest mountain in Canterlot.

I told her the full truth, one of the only ponies I really exposed the truth to. The filly spread the word, and at first nopony believed her, but I confirmed that it was the truth. So you won't need to worry about it. Hopefully they hate me more than you, but by now... we should both be long forgotten. Upon your return, you'll be known as the only true princess by bloodline.

Still, some ponies never forget.

You see sister, it has been some time since the filly started to spread the word, but with much failure she had given up. For years she had come to visit me on that mountain, just to talk to me; to be a friend. She started trying out for my school of gifted students to help me with my studies, which almost came to a breakthrough. I made her my successor when she was only nine! She was indeed, a very talented pony.

She sent me letters everyday of her discoveries, findings, breakthroughs, and on occasions, something that benefited my stupid book of failed spells. When she came across the spell I used on you many years back, when we were both new to ruling Equestria, she figured out something that I had missed. Something careless, and could have cost you your life. So I'm glad she made her way there in time. You should thank her for me; not that I haven't already, but do it again.

Perhaps I will just write her a separate letter. Disregard my last statement.

Her name is Twilight Sparkle, and I trust her to do the sun and moon changes until you return. I've already taught her on our spare time, and occasionally, she'd help me raise the moon. She reminded me of you. Twilight is very friendly, and is very knowledgeable, so hopefully now that you're here, things are better than it should be.

So Luna, I apologize once again. I wish there had been another way; I truly do. I remember every night I was up on those mountains, I kept thinking to myself, there's got to be a way. But there wasn't. This is the only way it would work out for the better. I hope you understand, and forgive me. I would really never know for myself.

P.S Will always love you before, and beyond death.

Your Loving Sister,
Tia

Once she finished the letter, she walked back on the mountain where the beautiful tree stood in the moonlight. On the tree, were flowers. They were large, and had represented the Jasmine flower. It reminded her of the Princess of the moon, and she closed her eyes as she conjured the spell. Her horn started to emit an golden glow as it surrounded her body. A trail of sparkling multicolored mist started to take form away from her body, as hers started to grow pale and her mane lose color. The mist started moving to the moon where her sister lay for almost a thousand years.

The Princess dropped to the ground, and the spell was finished. Her mane lost all color, and her coat became paler. She lay on the ground staring at the tree, unable to move her body. In the distance, she could see the moon shining above Equestria, and she let out a small smile for the first time in a very long time. It felt good. She closed her eyes, and everything darkened into nothing.

Then she muttered one last thing, "Forgive me."

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment