• Published 30th Oct 2014
  • 2,325 Views, 11 Comments

Extended Family - ponylaw



Dinky is curious of her family history. She not only gets a surprise, but also decides to add to it.

  • ...
2
 11
 2,325

Daddy Delight

The sun rose to greet the waking ponies, and the already bustling Dinky. She got some sleep, but still not as much as she had wanted knowing the length of day she would be dealing with. She had already gone to the bathroom to brush her teeth and her mane, made her bed, and was now just waiting for her mom to wake so that she could leave. Her mother always told her that if Dinky ever left, she needed to tell her when and where. Dinky already said the where, kind of, but still had to fulfill the when. Dinky could hear the door down the hall click open and hooves walking past her door. Dinky made one last check to make sure her room was in decent order and made her way out to the kitchen where her mother was pouring herself a fresh cup of coffee. “Morning mommy,” Dinky beamed cheerfully.

Derpy looked at her daughter with a groggy expression with a just as groggy, “Morning Muffin.”

“Now that I’m up can-,” Dinky was interrupted by an extended hoof from her mother as she gulped down a few mouthfuls of coffee.

After finishing half the cup she dropped her hoof and looked at her daughter with a more attentive gaze, “Ok, now I’m awake enough to talk.”

Dinky giggled knowing this side of her mother. “I was saying, now that I’m up, can I take off now.”

Derpy cocked one of her eyebrows at Dinky, “I don’t think any other filly, including your friends, are even up at this hour. Most don’t share the same amount of energy that you seem to possess.” Derpy looked at her now empty coffee cup, “Care to share some of that with me?”

Dinky just laughed, unsure how to respond to that. Getting back to the discussion, “So, can I?”

Derpy sighed, “I guess so, just don’t make too much noise while leaving. Some ponies are still trying to sleep.”

“Ok,” replied Dinky as she opened the door and walked outside. She looked around and noticed she was the only pony out. “Gee, mommy wasn’t kidding.” Dinky had never really been out this early. She was always sleeping in like everyone else, but she never had a mission that got her motivated. She lightly trotted with a pep in her step towards the edge of town. She never understood why The Doctor lived so far out of town. Dinky had thought maybe it was because of the work he does, but that was when she realized she didn’t know what he did. Her and her mother talked about him a lot, and from time to time they would hang out in town, but not much beyond his name and his craving for English muffins and tea was all she knew about him.

On her way there, she was surprised to see that the Cutie Mark Crusaders were out this early, and they looked very tired. “Hey girls,” Dinky said, “what brings you out this early in the morning?”

All three looked up at Dinky with tired and dishearten looks on their faces. Applebloom was the first to reply, “We were trying to get cutie marks in star gazing.”

“Oh,” Dinky replied, “and how did that go?” Dinky was answered with nothing more than a synchronized sigh from the trio. “I guess not so well.”

“Now I just want to go home and get some beauty sleep,” stated Sweetie Bell.

“We know,” interjected Scootaloo. “You’ve made that well aware to us for hours.”

Sweetie Bell responded to the remark with a stuck out tongue. She turned to direct the subject to Dinky, “What brings you out here? Were you trying to get a star gazing cutie mark too? We could have brought you along.”

Dinky shook her head, “No, I actually woke up about an hour ago. I’m actually out to go see The Doctor.”

A worried Applebloom took a few steps towards Dinky till she was inches from her face, “Are you sick? Do we need to go get your mother?”

“No no, wrong doctor. I meant Doctor Whooves.”

“Why do want to go see him,” asked Scootaloo.

“Well,” Dinky thought on how to answer that, “I am going to go talk to him about my mommy.” The CMC stood staring at Dinky with the same quizzical look. Apparently there was no beating around the bush. “I am going to see him to ask him things about what he likes and what he likes about my mommy.”

At this, the CMC perked up like they each consumed a bag of sugar. “You’re playing match maker,” Sweetie Bell exclaimed excitedly.

“Maybe we can help,” added Applebloom.

“Ya, let’s do this,” chimed in Scootaloo.

“Match making cutie marks,” cheered the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

“Thanks, but no thanks,” interrupted Dinky.

“But why,” the three fillies groaned in unison, giving the Dinky the saddest puppy dog eyes.

“Do you three not remember the last time you meddled with love?” Dinky was referring to the time the CMC gave a love poison to Big Mac and Cheerilee.

“Right, we almost forgot about that,” said Scootaloo said embarrassed.

“My sister sure hasn’t,” added Sweetie Bell remembering the giant hole Cheerilee left in the shop wall.

“Tell you what,” Dinky offered, “I have most of this covered, but if I need any help, you three will be the first to know. Deal?”

“CMC huddle,” announced Applebloom. The three huddled around each other, speaking in nothing more than whispers. Every now and then one would poke their head up and look at Dinky. Not long after they started, they broke the huddle and looked at Dinky serious looks at first that soon turned into smiles. “Deal,” they all agreed.

“For now though,” interjected Sweetie Bell, “I’m still up for trying to earn a sleeping cutie mark.”

With that, the CMC and Dinky parted ways and she continued on to where she was heading. It wasn’t long till she was out of town and into what she could only call the middle of nowhere. The only thing now was to find a place that looked like…a phone booth. She shakes her head every time she thinks or says that. “Of all things to describe a house, why would she call it-,” Dinky is interrupted by hitting a hard metallic object followed by a thud when she fell to the ground. She shook her head and looked up and saw a tall blue object with a couple of windows near the top and the words “Police Box” written on the top, “-a phone booth,” Dinky finished. She couldn’t believe what she was looking at. It was a phone booth, just like her mom had described it, in an area outside the town, once again like her mom had said. Dinky walked around the box trying to figure out how anyone could live in it. It was no bigger than her bed and actually shorter than her room. She went to the door and gave it a hard knock. “What am I doing?” She turned to walk away when she heard the door open up and a familiar voice ring out.

“Dinky? What are you doing out here?”

Dinky turned around and looked up to see Doctor Whooves looking down at her. “But…how,” Dinky asked with her mouth wide open is shock.

The Doctor knew what she was getting at and stepped out so he could close the door. “So what brings you out here,” The Doctor asked again. “Is your mother with you?”

“No,” answered Dinky recovering from her trance. “I am here by myself, but mom knows I went out so it’s fine. I was wondering if I could talk with you, maybe hang out for a bit?”

Doctor Whooves pondered over the request before he could answer, “I guess it wouldn’t hurt, but you have to promise me if you can keep a secret.”

Dinky shook her head and moved her hoof across her lips as if zipping it up.

The Doctor looked around to see if anyone else was around, looked back at Dinky with a smile, and opened the doors to the phone booth.

Dinky looked inside and couldn’t believe her eyes. What looked like a tiny booth on the outside instantly became a place that was as big as Carousel Boutique on the inside. “What is this place?”

“I call it the Time and Relative Dimension in Space,” The Doctor said to Dinky. When he saw the shocked but slightly confused look on her face he added, “Or TARDIS for short. It’s a machine that allows me to travel between time and space, but it also doubles as my home.”

Dinky looked around for a bit and turned to The Doctor, “Has my mommy seen this place?”

“Oh yes, many times. We have actually been on a couple of trips in it.”

“So I’m guessing this is where my mommy goes when she says she goes on vacations with friends.”

“Most likely.” The Doctor looked at Dinky as she took in all of the TARDIS until he felt it was long enough, “So, would you like some tea? I just made a fresh pot.”

“Yes please.” Dinky wasn’t fond of tea, but she was thirsty and didn’t want to be rude.

The Doctor went over to what Dinky could only believe was the kitchen and returned with a tray containing a kettle and two small cups. He set them down on the table and proceeded to fill both cups. “Sugar,” he asked Dinky. She shook her head no and The Doctor put the kettle down and took a sip. “So, you said you came to ask me something?”

Dinky sat and tried to figure out how she was going to ask the questions. She had it all planned out last night, but the overwhelming sight of this place made her lose track of everything. The only thing she could think of was, “What are your interests?”

The Doctor looked back at Dinky over his cup. “My interest? Well, I have more than I can think of off the top of my head. Is there any topic that you’d like my answer more geared to?”

“I don’t know. What hobbies do you have, what do you like to do, who do you like?” Dinky realized what she said and clamed up. She looked at The Doctor and saw a wide eyed expression on his face.

“Dinky,” The Doctor said after composing himself, “what exactly are you are you trying to get at?” Dinky started to shift uncomfortably in her seat trying to hide her uneasiness. “Does this have anything to do with your mother?”

Dinky grabbed her cup and finished her tea in a rush, “I’m sorry for wasting your time. I appreciate you seeing me, offering me some tea, and showing me this. I swear your secret is safe with me.” With that, Dinky stood up and headed for the door.

“Wait,” The Doctor exclaimed. He stood up and stopped her before she could leave. “Please, have a seat. I’d love to answer any questions you have.”

“No, it’s alright. Besides, I didn’t realize how long it would take me to get here and I have stuff to do anyways.”

“What about dinner later, you can even invite your mother. I’ve been meaning to talk to her too.”

Dinky stopped in her tracks. This was it. This was how she could do the second part Princess Cadence had mentioned, and it will work out a bit better than what just took place. “Sure, dinner would be good. I’ll even let my mommy know. She doesn’t get off work till 3 though.”

“Then let’s make it 4:30. It gives your mother some time to get ready. Does The Gardens sound good to you?”

Wow, Dinky thought, that is a fancy place…perfect. “The Gardens sound like an excellent idea.”

“Very good then; I’ll make a reservation there for 4:30. I’ll make it the reservation under Whooves.”

“Ok, we’ll see you then. Thank you for the tea.” They both nodded to each other and Dinky left. “Well, that could have gone better,” Dinky grumbled to herself, “but it’s not over yet.” Dinky took off in almost a sprint back to her home so she could plan this one better. As soon as she got home, she grabbed a notepad and began to scribble a message for her mother.

Dear Mommy,

A friend of mine has invited us to dinner at The Gardens. A reservation has already been made for 4:30 tonight. I came by to leave this note for you because I still have some plans with some friends. I will meet you there. The name that it is under is…

Dinky knew if she put Whooves then her mother would never come out. Luckily, their names, though spelt differently, sound exactly alike.

…Hooves so that it would be easy for us to remember.

-Muffin

Now that that is taken care of, she had to make another stop or two before tonight. Dinky looked at the clock that read 9 am, “Though I may have to wait, odds are they are still asleep.

*****

Dinky waited till a little past noon when she decided to leave to make her stops. She stopped by Carousel Boutique first since it was the closest. She knocked on the door and was greeted by a white unicorn with a dark purple mane.

“Dinky darling, it’s nice to see you,” said Rarity with her usual elegant tone. “What brings you around here?”

“Hello Ms. Rarity, is Sweetie Bell home?”

“I’m afraid not dear, you just missed her. She left with Applebloom and Scootaloo, so you might want to check the clubhouse.”

“Thank you,” responded Dinky. She turned to leave with Rarity closing the door behind her. Before she closed the door, Dinky could hear yelling inside the shop.

“STOP, OPAL! THAT SPOOL OF THREAD IS NOT A PLAY THING!”

Dinky made it to the CMC clubhouse and could hear them talking inside. She ran up the ramp and was met by the three fillies staring at her in the doorway. Dinky looked at them and grinned, “How would you like to get your spying cutie marks?” The CMC responded with bright wide grins.

*****

“What are we doing here again,” asked Scootaloo.

“We’re here to make sure that my mommy and Doctor Whooves does well on their date and finally confess to each other that they love each other,” responded Dinky. Applebloom and Sweetie Bell both gave a look of elation while Scootaloo gagged in disgust.

“Whatever, I’m just here for the cutie mark.” Scootaloo was met with furious glares from Applebloom and Sweetie Bell, “And for moral support,” added Scootaloo sheepishly.

Dinky just shrugged it off. She knew Scootaloo wasn’t into all the mushy stuff, mainly because she was trying so much to be like her idol Rainbow Dash. Dinky looked back at the restaurant and saw Doctor Whooves sitting at an outside table waiting for the rest of the party.

“Here she comes,” pointed Applebloom. They all looked over to where she was pointing and saw Derpy being led to the table. They also saw her stop dead in her tracks when she laid eyes on The Doctor. The Doctor just waved to Derpy as she slowly made the rest of the way to the table and sat down.

“I wish we could hear what was going on,” groaned Sweetie Bell. “Why did the only hiding spot have to be so far away?”

As she said that, a headset was placed on each of their heads. They looked around and saw Pinkie Pie sitting next to them with a headset of her own and what seemed to be a dish on a stick. She put a hoof to her lips telling them to be quite and pointed at the table. That’s when they could hear voices coming out of the speakers. Apparently the device Pinkie had was something used to hear sounds at a distance. They looked back and began to listen to the conversation.

“Hello Doctor,” greeted Derpy.

“Hello Derpy,” replied The Doctor, exchanging pleasantries.

“So I guess you’re the friend that Dinky said invited us?”

“I hope that is alright?”

“Of course, I’m just wondering what the occasion is?”

“Well, Dinky stopped by my place today and-“

“She what,” interrupted Derpy.

“She stopped by my place,” reiterated The Doctor hesitantly. “She told me you knew she was out and I assumed you knew it was to see me.”

“No, I was under the impression that she was out with her friends. Don’t get me wrong, you are a friend, but I was expecting somepony a little younger.”

Pinkie and the CMC looked at Dinky who began to sink lower into the ground, realizing that she may get in trouble over this. Pinkie put a hoof on Dinky’s shoulder, smiled, and whispered, “But it’s worth it in the end.” Dinky agreed with a nod and went back to the task at hand.

“Again, I’m sorry,” apologized The Doctor. “I knew I should have talked to you when she came in.”

“Wait, she went in. As in,” She trailed off without finishing the sentence.

“Yes, I invited her in the TARDIS; but we didn’t go anywhere, and she said she’d keep it a secret.”

Again, Pinkie and the CMC looked at Dinky. Dinky shook her head no, “A promise is a promise.”

They nodded and again went back to watching.

Derpy put her head in her hooves, “That filly; I’m going to have a talk with her.”

“Please, don’t be mad at her,” The Doctor said. “She meant well, and had a good reason for coming. The reason why she came might be the same reason why she isn’t here now.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that.” Derpy leaned back and bellowed, “My eye is lazy not blind Dinky Hooves!” She turned to where they were hiding and added, “And assorted guest!”

“The jig is up! Cheese it!” Pinkie grabbed the listening device and was gone in a blink of an eye.

“Who’s up for following Pinkie,” hastily asked Applebloom.

All four fillies raised their hooves. Three of them made it out, but Dinky was held back by a pair of grey wings. Dinky looked up and stared into the eyes of her irritated mother. Her eyes may not always face the right way, but certain emotions, like anger, caused them to focus in the same direction. With Dinky unable to get away, all she could do was smile in her defense.

“Not…this…time,” Derpy punctuated her words. She nudged Dinky towards the table and made her sit in between her and The Doctor. “Now, care to explain what’s going on here?”

“I think I might-,” The Doctor tried to answer but was cut off by a forceful hoof from Derpy.

As she knew there was no weaseling out of this, Dinky decided it was time to explain. “Well, this all started during our conversation at Sugar Cube Corner.”

Derpy became a little uneasy at the mention of that conversation being linked to this, “Dinky, I believe your intentions are good, but this isn’t something a little filly should be meddling with.”

Dinky thought about what her mother just said and shook her head, “No, you have it wrong. This isn’t to find a daddy, this is to find you a special somepony. The Doctor becoming my daddy would just be a bonus.”

Derpy turn towards The Doctor who was sitting wide eyed mid-sip of his tea. “Well,” The Doctor stated, “this went a little farther than was expected.” The Doctor set down his cup and looked at Dinky. “Dinky, I see where you are going, and your intentions are good; but it just won’t work out.”

“Why not?”

Rather hearing this from Dinky, The Doctor looked at Derpy who was staring at him with questioning eyes.

“Why won’t it work Doctor?” Derpy showed a side of her that neither Dinky nor The Doctor had seen around him. Instead of stumbling over her own words, she was showing a more confident and serious demeanor.

“Derpy, I told you about this before.”

“You told me a lot of things, but none of it was a definitive answer.”

The Doctor looked around and lowered his voice, “I’m…different. You know I am a Time Lord and every so often-“

“And every so often you change forms and move on, living a new life dealing with new adventures. I get that, but what you don’t seem to get is I live more in the now,” Derpy turned to Dinky and smiled, “and so does my daughter.” Dinky just smiled back. Derpy turned back to The Doctor and continued, “This is why no matter what you tell me about your past or future lives, my love for you will never change. Whether I go first or you, I want to spend every single moment with you.” Derpy began to tear up the more she spoke.

“And so do I,” added Dinky.

The Doctor looked between Derpy and Dinky, closed his eyes, and gave a relieved sigh accompanied with a smile, “Alright.”

Derpy and Dinky both gave a synchronized “What?”

“Alright,” The Doctor repeated. “I don’t know how long I will remain here in Ponyville, or even in this form, but for as long as I remain this way I will never leave either of your sides. Ever since being here, you two have brought a joy to my life hat I rarely ever get to experience, and an adventure that I never tire of. I may not show it, Derpy, but having you as my assistant has not only helped me in my travels, but has also caused me to grow quite fond of you. I just never acted upon my feelings because I never wanted to hurt another ever again.”

Derpy leaned in and gave The Doctor a kiss on the cheek, “Let me worry about that.”

“Thank you Derpy,” The Doctor replied. He then turned to Dinky, “I may not be what you would call a typical father, but I would like to try if you would let me.”

Dinky jumped up and gave The Doctor the tightest hug she could, “I think you’ll be perfect.”

Comments ( 3 )

D'AAWWWWWW :twilightsmile::rainbowkiss::heart::yay::derpytongue2: The feels are strong in this one.

Login or register to comment