• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 20,667 Views, 1,660 Comments

You Can't Spell Slaughter Without Laughter - Tatsurou



The Ghost of Sparta has his hands full raising the Element of Laughter.

  • ...
28
 1,660
 20,667

Living Fire

In the chamber at the end of the path, Kratos collected the essence of the Primordial Flame to aid them in their quest. It merged itself with the Sun Shield, strengthening its protective attributes. With the flame inside it, it was able to absorb enemy projectile attacks and return them in a blast of cleansing flame. After briefly demonstrating his mastery of the new technique by using it to obliterate a few attacking statues, the flame also unlocked the ability to fire a projectile of solar fire from the shield at will.

With the path once more cleared, they continued down the path through another door...which led back into the original large chamber from before. Pinkie's frustration at once more going in circles exploded as she demonstrated that - apparently - she had somehow absorbed the Primordial Flame's abilities as well, throwing fireballs at the monsters that arose until - from Kratos perspective - they were too scared to rise up again.

Heading back through the portal that brought them to the caves, they returned to the Temple of Helios and continued their explorations, seeking the remaining spirits of the Fire Steeds.


Once they returned to the outside of the Temple through a different exit, Kratos and Pinkie were assailed once again by that haunting melody. Pinkie noticed that Kratos seemed more effected by the melody than she was, to the point he was actually thrown off somewhat in combat. After a fast battle, she decided to ask about it. "Daddy, does something bother you about that melody?"

"It seems so...familiar," he admitted, shaking his head to clear it.

As he refocused on the events at hand, the melody faded. "It seems to be stronger when you think about it. It's probably something you remember that Morpheus is using against you."

Kratos nodded. "You're probably right." Turning, he focused on the light puzzle that would waken the second fire steed.


After awakening the second Fire Steed, the inside of the Temple was noticeably warmer than it had been. After a brief analysis, Pinkie became much less antagonistic regarding their seemingly endless circling through the temple. "After all," she pointed out, "the four steeds are the four winds. It makes sense they'd sleep at the four corners of the temple. There is a direct path from the central region of the temple to each steed's resting place, but it wouldn't make sense for there to be a path from one steed to the next." Having reached this acceptable conclusion, she was much calmer as she vivisected the next monster to cross her path.

Kratos was unsure which was more frightening; when Pinkie was battling enraged, when she was battling happily, or when she was absolutely calm like this. In all honestly, he preferred happy warrior Pinkie, though.


After waking the third fire steed, Kratos noticed that Pinkie was being thoughtful. "What's on your mind?" he asked.

She rubbed her chin. "Do these statues look anything like the Steeds that are sleeping in them?"

Kratos scratches his head, then nodded. "I suppose they'd have to. Why?"

"Well...it's just...he's kinda cute."

Kratos blinked. "Who?"

"Zephyros," Pinkie replied, blushing.

Kratos blinked for a time. "You...do realize he's made of living fire, right?"

"So he's a total hottie?" Pinkie countered with interest.

Kratos struggled to comprehend that. "He's also...a good deal older than you."

"Last I checked, they were ageless immortals, so it's not like that's an issue," she pointed out.

Kratos struggled to follow where her mind was going. "And...the Fire Steeds' real bodies are large enough to pull this entire Temple through the sky."

Pinkie blushed. "I...like em big?"

Kratos decided quite firmly that he was not going to pursue this line of discussion any further, and promptly headed out for where the reigns of the steeds led.


As they left the Temple, heading for the reigns of the Fire Steeds, the army of Morpheus once more began an assault. At the same time, the melody returned...but this time, Kratos recognized the song. "Calliope?" he gasped in wonder.

"Who?" Pinkie asked.

"My daughter," he managed to explain. "The one who...lost her life because of my ambitions...because of me."

Pinkie's eyes widened. "She's the one playing that song?" She gasped happily. "Then I have a sister to meet!" Reaching into her mane, Pinkie yanked out a pair of Persian swords she had picked up back in Attica and leaped into the fray, cutting her way through to the Fire Steeds.

Kratos, for his part, was no less eager than she to find out how Calliope could be in the world of the living again. Drawing his blades, he charged after her, the two of them carving their way through the army of Morpheus, letting none stop them. "Calliope! Where are you?" he called out as he charged.


Having carved their way through the army, there was still no sign of Calliope, much to Kratos and Pinkie's frustrations. However, at the end they reached the Fire Steeds, their spirits now infusing their bodies. As Kratos threw the levers to waken them completely, Pinkie hopped up near them. "You know, Daddy, they aren't nearly as big as you implied." She then lay in front of Zephyros as Kratos threw the last switch. "Hey Cutie," she breathed, giving her best bedroom eyes.(1)

The Steeds' eyes popped open wide, and with a loud, panicked whinny, they leaped into the air. As Kratos dug into the chariot with his blades and caught Pinkie as she flipped back through the air towards him, he wasn't entirely sure if the Steeds' charge here was more to get to their Master, or to get away from Pinkie.

As the steeds pulled Kratos and Pinkie through the fog of Morpheus, Kratos found himself reminiscing about Calliope...about the flute he had carved for her...about how happy she had always been to see him, and he her. Having seen how great a warrior Pinkie had become, another vision slipped its way in, of how Calliope would have done in warrior training, and an image of her and Pinkie charging into battle together. But those dreams were cut off as the fog forced him to recall the day that had broken his loyalty to Ares...the day he had been tricked into killing his wife and daughter...

As the steeds broke through the fog and into the Underworld, Kratos was snapped out of his reminiscing. Seeing the steeds fading, unable to maintain their magical energies in the Underworld, Kratos leapt from the chariot with Pinkie in his arms, catching hold of a cliff face as he prepared to find where in the Underwold Helios had been taken.


(1) In ancient Greece, both sexes became sexually active - with both sexes - at a much younger age than in modern times. It's why so many of those ancient cultures worshiped goddesses of fertility, since they could see no connection between sex and babies. Women just suddenly started having kids after a certain age.
As such, it's perfectly reasonable - if slightly disturbing - for a nine year old Pinkie to be trying to seduce Zephyros here.