• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 20,617 Views, 1,660 Comments

You Can't Spell Slaughter Without Laughter - Tatsurou



The Ghost of Sparta has his hands full raising the Element of Laughter.

  • ...
28
 1,660
 20,617

Athens

As the ship sailed across the ocean, Kratos sleep was disturbed by the carousing of the survivors of the hydra attack they had rescued. Having escaped certain doom when no help was thought coming, and then being better fed than they were on their own ships - complete with an unearthly delight in the form of cupcakes provided by Pinkie Pie - they were deep in celebration. As Kratos had no desire for wine at this time - he had already learned it had no effect on dulling his nightmares - he had let them drink of the casks Athena had provided for him. As he heard the raucous celebration through the walls of the Captain's Chambers - where he had just recently risen from bed with all the rescued women of age, who had desired to properly thank the God's Champion who had rescued them - he decided he would have better rest on the deck, where the torrential rains would deaden the sounds of the partying below decks.

As he climbed to the deck, he was rather surprised to hear the pinging of heavy rain on hollow metal. Glancing over, he barely recognized the figure leaning against the mast. "Calliope?"

She looked up at him, her blue orbs of eyes twinkling happily. "Hello Father!" she said happily. "What brings you up on deck?"

Kratos shrugged his shoulders. "I felt sleeping in torrential rain would be more relaxing than with the noise below decks."

Calliope giggled. "We felt the same way."

"We?"

There was a clanging from the inside of Calliope's chest plate. "I'm in here, Daddy!" Pinkie said. "It's a bit too wet out there for me right now. I left my snorkel in the cabin, so swimming's a no go."

"Then why don't you-" Kratos began, before shaking his head. "Never mind. But I thought you enjoyed parties?"

"Not the kind they're getting up to down there!" Pinkie replied. "Human males do not look good naked! I like a guy with a nice coat of fur, myself."

"Some of them were kinda cute..." Calliope pointed out.

Kratos decided to veer his mind away from that discussion. Noticing a slight glow around the statue of Athena at the prow, he realizes there is someone else privy to this discussion. "It's been ten years, Athena," he addressed the statue respectfully as the glow fully infused it, temporarily becoming the goddess's physical manifestation. "I've done everything the gods have asked of me, and then some."

"Yeah!" Pinkie added happily. "We even have some refugees coming to Athens with us!"

"You can probably hear them through the deck," Calliope pointed out.

"I'm afraid Athens is no longer safe, Kratos," Athena replied. "My brother, Ares, has attacked my city."

"Ares..." Kratos growled under his breath.

"Wait!" Calliope asked. "Ares himself? Isn't that sort of thing against the rules? Aren't the gods only allowed to physically manifest like that for battle when summoned by their worshipers? I'm pretty sure I read something like that in one of Persephone's books in Elysium."

"Indeed," Athena replied. "The gods may only enter battle in the mortal realms when summoned and backed by their worshipers. That is the rule laid down by Zeus to maintain balance in the world. Ares refutes that rule in defiance of the will of Olympus, attacking my city with only his armies of monsters as backing. In doing so he has earned the ire of Olympus. However, I cannot counter him directly, for it is also against the laws of Olympus for the gods to make war on each other. Thus I must turn to you, Kratos, to bring an end to Ares' ambitions. Find the Oracle of Athens; she will guide your steps."

"So Daddy's finally going to make that meanie Ares pay for tricking him all those years ago?" Pinkie asked. "About time! Daddy needs the closure!"

"But we need to find a place for the people we saved from the Hydra," Calliope pointed out.

"Let us first sail to Sparta," Kratos suggested. "It's a longer journey, but Sparta is smaller than Athens, and safer from Ares' forces. He will not attack a city dedicated to him."

"And I could take the time to rearm," Pinkie pointed out. "I'm starting to run low on knives."

"That would be wise," Athena replied. "I shall ask Poseidon to-"

At that exact moment, the ocean currents and the storm shifted, pushing the ship at a rapid gait in the direction of Sparta.

"Thanks Posie!" Pinkie called out. The waves seemed to chuckle indulgently against the sides of the ship, and the wind seemed to laugh amongst the masts.

"Athena..." Kratos began. "If I do this, if I defeat Ares, will my nightmares finally end?"

Calliope spun to stare at her Father. No sound came from either sister.

Athena was silent for a time. "Do this, Ghost of Sparta, and I promise you your life will be greatly improved." Before Kratos could ask for clarification, the sense of Athena's presence faded.

The trio turned to face Sparta in silence, all lost in their own thoughts.


After dropping the refugees off in Sparta and rearming - Calliope also decided to grab some extra armaments - and stocking up on supplies for any civilians they managed to save from Ares assault as they passed through the city, they set sail for Athens.

As they entered the city, they found few true obstacles to their progress working as a team, and were able to progress easily. After riding an elevator, two soldiers ran towards them.

"Run! Run!" one shouted. "The beasts have taken Athens!"

At that moment, two Minotaurs charged up behind them along the scaffolding. One threw his battle ax like a discus. The soldier who turned back to look was able to duck it...and Calliope's gauntlet seized the haft of the ax, yanking it from its flight path before it could decapitate the other soldier. The minotaurs froze in shock.

"This could come in handy," Calliope said happily.

"Bad pun, Sis!" Pinkie chided. To the soldiers she said, "Hurry to the docks! We've cleared a path, and our ship is safe!"

"Thank the gods!" one soldier said as he ran by.

The one who was nearly decapitated stopped next to Calliope. "My thanks, warrior," he said before rushing on.

After slaying the minotaurs, the trio continued into the city. After a time, though, Pinkie realized Calliope's silence wasn't just concentrating on the battle. "What's bugging you, Sis?"

Calliope sighed as she beheaded another slew of monsters with her new ax. "I kind of wish I had my flesh and blood body again."

Pinkie tilted her head, hopping onto the ax with the next swing to leap from it, plunging one of her knives into another minotaur's skull before snapping its neck. "Really? But you're indestructible like this! Invincible!"

"But all I can do is fight," Calliope pointed out, splitting another monster down the middle with her sword. "I can't really have...fun."

"I get the feeling you don't mean our board games," Pinkie offered, yanking two more guards through a broken gate and away from monsters trying to kill them, before shoeing them to the ship.

"That's fun, but not the kind of fun I mean," Calliope agreed. "I mean, after we saved all those women from the hydra, they all thanked Father and he had real fun. But I can't get that sort of thanks from the cute young guys we save."

"I see what you mean," Pinkie replied, diving under a massive ogre, castrating it as she passed between its legs. "I never even got that special kind of thank you from Zephyros or his brothers."

"That's because you scared them off by coming on too strong, sister," Calliope pointed out. "But without a flesh and blood body, I'll never get to have an orgy! Or even have sex!"

"Damn, that is rough," Pinkie replied. "I'll see what I can do about that."

"Thanks Sis!" Calliope said happily, beheading her own ogre.

Kratos did his best to not comment - or even hear - his daughters' conversation as he fought the third ogre. He steeled himself to just keep fighting monsters, and not think about his little girls trying to seduce the soldiers they were rescuing.

For some reason, he suddenly felt much less motivation to rescue the soldiers.

Author's Note:

The conversation between Athena, Kratos, Calliope, and Pinkie was heavily inspired by this comment by Leo Archon.