• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 20,617 Views, 1,660 Comments

You Can't Spell Slaughter Without Laughter - Tatsurou



The Ghost of Sparta has his hands full raising the Element of Laughter.

  • ...
28
 1,660
 20,617

The Temple - Part One

As the trio reached the top of the mountain, they began their journey into the actual temple proper. The path seemed rather straightforward at first, until they cam to a gate blocking the way forward. After following a looping path, they came to a man they spotted from the gate, throwing dead bodies into a pyre.

As they approached, the man turned towards them. His body was half decayed, as though he were halfway dead. "So, you think you can conquer the Temple of the Gods, do you?" he asked dismissively. "I admit, you're the first to come as a group instead of alone, but it won't do you any good." He ducked as a harpy flew overhead carrying a body. "It's never been done, you know. Sooner or later the harpies will bring what's left of you back for me to burn." The harpy dropped the body into the pyre beside him. He walked up to them. "The gods hid Pandora's Box in here so no mortal would ever claim its power, and yet year after year I open the gate for more and more soldiers and place more and more bodies on these pyres. If I were you, I'd leave now."

Pinkie bounced up happily. "Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie! What's your name?"

The man blinked in surprise. "No one's ever asked me that before, in all the time I've been here, and that's as long as I can remember." He tilted his head back, staring back over the years. "So long ago, that I've forgotten my name, or how I came to be here." He looked down at Pinkie. "You can call me the Burning Man, I suppose."

"Pleased to meetcha, Burning Man!" Pinkie replied. "This is my sister Calliope, and my Daddy Kratos!" Reaching into her mane, she pulled out a cupcake. "Have a cupcake to celebrate our new friendship!"

He stared at the cupcake. "What...do I do with it?"

Pinkie giggled. "You eat it, silly!"

"You really should," Kratos pointed out. "It is the most delicious thing you will ever taste."

The Burning Man frowned sadly. "I...appreciate the gesture, but I have long since lost the ability to taste. I was the first to attempt the Temple, and the first to fail. As punishment, the gods brought me partially back to tend to the bodies of the dead-"

Pinkie reached a hoof into his mouth and pulled on something. "Can you taste now?"

The Burning Man blinked in surprise, then tried to move his tongue. "Ahh...gno," he said around her hoof.

Frowning, Pinkie reached into the hole in his belly, reaching around to pull on something. "How about now?"

"Umm...no."

Grabbing the stump of his right arm, she pumped it a few times like a spigot. "How about now?"

His eyes popped open. "I...I can! How did you do that?"

"I just tweaked the magic keeping you alive a bit," Pinkie explained. "Now eat the cupcake!"

Smiling, the Burning Man bit into the confection. He moaned in pleasure. "All these years of torment were worth it for this..." He devoured it completely. "So good..."

"Have you gotten every last bit of it out of your mouth?" Pinkie asked.

"Regrettably," he admitted. Pinkie then jerked his arm again. "I...I can't taste!"

"Yup! Wouldn't want you to be constantly tasting these ashes, they're yucky!" Pinkie made a gagging sound. "And this way, your last memory of taste - which you'll carry with you as your most prominent memory however long you have this job - will be the taste of my cupcake!" Reaching into the back of his skull, she twisted something else. "And now you can relive the memory of that taste whenever you want."

The Burning Man's eyes went wide. "T-thank you, dear friend," he breathed, his voice making it plain he'd be pouring tears if he could. "Please, must you progress into the Temple? I...I do not want to find your body delivered to me by the harpies."

"Don't worry, silly billy!" Pinkie reassured him. "We're going to be fine!"

He sighed. "A...alright." Picking up a skull, he flung it at a roosting pair of harpies, who then pulled the gate up. "May the gods grant you strength to conquer the perils that lay before you," he prayed fervently.

"Oh, they will!" Calliope reassured him. "They sent us here, after all."

The Burning Man managed a smile, a little bit of hope as he watched them head for the gate. "Good luck, Spartans," he whispered, blue light briefly flaring from each part of his body where Pinkie had tweaked.


When two large ogre like beasts ascended from below the cliff, Pinkie dealt with them rather expediently. "Hey!" she yelled at them. "Look over there!" She pointed off the cliff.

The dumb monsters promptly turned around, raising a hand to shade their eyes. Following Pinkie's lead, Kratos and Calliope kicked them in the rear, making them fall face first off the mountain.

When another one rose out of the ground, Calliope decided to try. "Quick, they went that way!" she called, pointing off the cliff.

The monster promptly charged over the side before screaming as it fell to its death.

Kratos walked over to the cliff edge, looking down in disbelief. When a fourth arose, he looked up at it and did the first thing that came to mind. Pointing down the cliff, he said, "We're over there."

Nodding, the monster promptly dove off the edge. Pinkie glared up at Kratos. "Really, Daddy?"

He shrugged. "It was all I could think of."

Rolling her eyes, Pinkie approached the gate, only to freeze as she saw the stairs leading up into the sky. "...stairs?"

Kratos blinked. "Are...are you alright, Pinkie?"

Her teeth gritted as she stared at the staircase.

-----

Reaching into her mane, Pinkie yanked out a dragon, tugging on the tip of its tail and the top of its neck to stretch its body full length.

"Fus ro dah!" The shout was forced from the dragon's throat, blasting a path straight into the temple through the staircase straight into the depths.

When Pinkie released the terrified beast, it dove back into her mane.

------

Pinkie shook her head. "No, that would be too silly. Far, far too silly. Still, helps get the stress out to imagine!" She promptly began bouncing up the staircase.

Kratos wasn't sure what caused that behavior in Pinkie, but he was glad she wasn't going to rant about stairs like she did in the Temple of Helios. Sighing ruefully, he followed his daughters up the stairs.


After clearing the entrance chamber to the temple of monsters, the trio entered into a large ringlike chamber. Pinkie examined it carefully. "...the box is in there," she said, pointing straight forward.

"Likely," Kratos admits.

"And we're going to have to explore the whole temple in order to unlock these rings so we can open the path?" she asked.

"That seems a viable conclusion."

She sighed. "Alright. We might as well get started." Turning, she led the way to the right.

At the only open door they could find, they found a path blocked by several spiked walls slamming together repeatedly. Calliope walked the path, ignoring the crushers as they were unable to damage her. Once she got to the end, she killed a few skeletal archers before throwing a switch. The spiked walls retracted completely into the walls, and a platform lowered down back in the main room. A statue also extended a grip in the chamber she was in. When she pulled it, the two statues moved together, shaping a crystal that released an intense beam of light back towards the central chamber. When it interacted with nothing, the statues moved back to their original position.

Returning to the main room, they discovered that pulling the crank made the entire room rotate. "This is going to be a long Temple," Calliope sighed. Pinkie nodded in agreement.

Rotating the Temple around, the trio eventually found an altar path dedicated to Artemis. As they approached, the goddess's face appeared in the light. "Kratos, the gods need more of you. You have learned to use the Blades of Chaos well, but they alone will not carry you to the end of your task. I offer you the very blade I used to slay a Titan. Take this gift, and use it to complete your quest."

A broadsword with a blade shaped like a bolt of lightning, it's edge running with that primal force, appeared in his hands. As he swept it around to test the weight and heft, Artemis continued to speak. "Take this weapon, Kratos. Take this power and use it to defeat your enemies."

Pinkie grinned. "And take this cupcake as a thank you, Miss Artemis!" she said happily, giving her offering to the goddess.

Artemis looked much less dignified as she messily devoured the treat, even going so far as to lick her lips and fingertips to get every crumb. "Kratos, go forth in the name of Olympus," she said at the end, struggling to reclaim some semblance of divine dignity. That attempt was destroyed as the link did not fade completely before she could be heard saying to another god, "That cupcake was so good, I think I just came. About what was discussed..." The link dissolved completely.

Pinkie blinked at that. "Wow. I know my cupcakes are good, but...wow."

Kratos shook his head. "Let's keep going," he said. Before either of you start asking me awkward questions, he added silently.

Author's Note:

Burning Man interaction inspired by Leo Archon.
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/222263/you-cant-spell-slaughter-without-laughter#comment/5753778