• Published 9th Oct 2014
  • 302 Views, 11 Comments

Equestria Under Siege - Willfire



A stalemate keeps half of Equestria lifeless and half hanging by a thread. Something has to give...

  • ...
17
 11
 302

Chapter 11: No Rest for the Weary

Chapter 11: No Rest for the Weary

It has been two days since Ponyville was freed from the Quil. Two days since hope was restored to Equestria. While everyfolk and changeling returned to their own bases, many for their own celebration, the folk of the Everfree Base spent the last two days working on restoring Ponyville to its former glory. Something that bothered Twilight was the destruction of the Golden Oaks Library. Since the Nexus was right under the library the Quil, with their ruthless efficiency, leveled and cleared the area. The ring itself, the pieces from when the power back washed and broke it, were collected for study. Despite being a soldier of the Armed Forces even she could enjoy a good book and the loss of the Library bothered her. She stood near the reconstruction efforts of the Library as Applejack joined her.

“Got ah moment sugercube?” Applejack asked as she stood next to her watching the library slowly being cleared out.

“Sure AJ, what's up?” She sighed. “I'm watching this and something tells me this would have been important to me some how.” With a shrug of her shoulders she looked at a smiling AJ.

“Mare...sorry Mayor wants to see you.” Applejack said with a jerk of her thumb over her shoulder.

“This should be a fun meeting, lead on AJ, I'm right behind you.” Twilight rolled her eyes. She couldn't help it since she has been expecting this meeting for two days now.

Applejack led her to the town hall, still under construction itself and to the back office. Inside they found Mayor Mare sitting at her desk flipping through a few reports. Hog tied next to the wall was a vibrating Pinkie Pie. Even with the gag in her mouth they could see the grin about to cut her head in two.

“You wanted to see me ma'am?” Twilight asked as she walked up to the desk. She eyed Pinkie a moment. “I take it she wouldn't calm down about a party?”

“Correct. I told her to wait until Town Hall was restored and she could throw the biggest party ever but a few of the stallions working here threatened to hit her up side the head with a few sledges if she didn't stop bothering them. To save her life I rounded up a posse and got her tied up here.” She glanced to where Pinkie was starting to slide across the floor from her vibrating. “I promise to let her go as soon as the work on Town Hall is done, but they guess it might be another day before they are done.”

“That's ok Mayor, in fact I thank you. I'm going to need Pinkie down the road having her head caved in won't help that.”

“Assuming those sledges don't just bounce off her rubbery mass o' curls she calls a mane.” Applejack said with a slight laugh. She watched as Pinkie started to move around the floor using her tail as another limb. “Ah swear that mare ain't natural.”

Twilight glanced over a smiled then turned back to Mare. “I'm sure there is something else you wanted to talk about.”

Mare paused a moment then nodded. “Might as well get it out of the way. Twilight, I'm sorry 1st Sergeant Sparkle...” She paused when Twilight held up her hand.

“Just Twilight will do for now Mare.” Twilight told her with a smile. Mare nodded.

“Twilight then, I'm sure you are expecting this.” She pointed at a folder on her desk. “That's the resignation papers for those that want to return to their normal lives in Ponyville.

Twilight picked it up and leafed through the folder that was much smaller than she thought it would be and should be, an eyebrow rising at just who wanted to leave.

“I see most of the Apple Clan, that's to be expected. I was thinking Big Mac would be in here as well. I see Mr Cake has put in, good he needs to be with his wife and foals. I see a number of those with foals have pulled out good. I won't even question those resignations. But I don't see Derpy in here.” Twilight said outloud.

“That's the funny thing. She was in here not long ago to do just that but her husband Time Turner came in told her that he 'found it' and that he saw that she can't resign yet. He seemed torn though, after spending years as a politician I can tell when someone is trying to feed a line. He was telling her to stay but not happy about having to do so. He looked pained in fact.” Mare told her as she sat down. She stuck out her foot and pushed Pinkie back to her side of the office.

Twilight looked at her and nodded. “Guess I need to have a talk with Time Turner...” She looked over at Pinkie. “I think she's about to have stroke if we don't get her a place to hold her party and soon.” Twilight said pointing at the twitching Pinkie Pie.

“You might be right.” She looked at Twilight. “If you have no problem with those that are resigning then I'll let them know they are releaved of duty.”

“With honors Mare, though I'll do it right after the one duty no commanding officer wants to do. I want all personnel, including those in that folder in the town square in three hours. We are going to pay our last respects.”

Mare couldn't help but to salute as Twilight turned and walked out of the office.

****************

Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie (finally freed from her bonds) stood before what remained of the fountain in the town square. All around them, folk in full uniform of the Armed Forces along with nearly everyfolk of Ponyville stood at attention.

“We are gathered here today to pay our final respects to the brave folk who gave their lives in the battle to free our homes. But that is not all they did, they died giving back hope to all folk across Equestria, across the world. To the rest of the world they will forever be remembered as heroes. For us though, they are our brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers, sons and daughters.” Twilight paused a moment as everyone lowered their head. “From the earth we came to the earth we return, we commit these bodies to the ground. May their spirits find their way to the Elysian Fields to take their deserved places there.” She nodded towards Pinkie Pie, her hair straighten, who lifted a bugle to her lips and started to blow the funeral song as near by a seven folk raised their rifles and fired three bolts into the air apiece as Twilight and all those in uniform pulled to attention and saluted towards cemetery hill. In the distance a few folk could be seen lowering a number of caskets into the ground. As Pinkie finished her song Twilight's salute fell, the rest of her Rangers doing the same. “Those that placed a resignation please stay, the rest of you are dismissed.

The ones that were left in the square Twilight looked over with a smile, a smile many returned to her. “I have received your papers and for each of you I have no problems with releaving each of you for duty with full honors you deserve. I have been honored to serve with each of you and I pray that the path you walk is one of peace.”

Each of them walked up to her and with a simple salute or a shake of her hand the small crowd before her slowly dissipated. Once the square was clear Twilight sat down on the fountain's edge her thoughts melancholy. After a moment she turned to looked at the damaged fountain.

“I hate this part of command.” She muttered to herself as she glanced at cemetery hill. “Buckle up Sparkle, this is war death is going to happen, no one can escape it no one can avoid it. Where will you be when the Pale Mare comes for you? What will you do when you see her gaze meet yours? When she comes you should have served proudly and with honor to look her in the eyes and tell her 'Another Soldier reporting, I have served my time in Tartarus'. Or will you cower before her knowing you are without honor?” She looked back at the fountain and sighed. It was a saying Drill Sergeant would tell them as they drilled. Some how the saying was appropriate for what she was doing.

Twilight glanced up from her musings and saw a folk she wanted to talk to. Time Turner, walking down the street towards the market square, Dinky clutching his brown trench coat as she skipped along happily with her father, still oddly enough wearing the Irregular uniform from when she helped in the first battle of Ponyville. Even from where she sat she could see his smile at his daughter. It was something both he and Derpy needed to do. Her horn lit up before she vanished in a flash of purple light another flash she appeared not far from Time Turner.

{Why did he stop Derpy from...} Twilight started to think to herself when a voice called out interrupting her thought.

“Doctor!” Twilight paused at the voice. Glancing up she saw Derpy coming in for a landing and quickly stepped into a small alley.

“Mommy!” Dinky called out and jumping into her mother's arms.

“My little muffin, have you been behaving for your father?” Derpy asked.

“Yes momma. Daddy and I were just talking a walk. We were looking at what we needed to fix our house.” Dinky told her.

“That's good.” Derpy gave her daughter a kiss on the cheek then looked up at Time Turner. “You ok? I recognize that look in your eyes. You are over thinking something again.”

“I'm so, so sorry my dear. I'm so sorry you had to see that. I'm so, so sorry that I had to tell you want that was you saw.” There were tears running down his eyes. “Please forgive me for what I have done.”

Derpy reached up and touched his face softly with a hand. “My dear Doctor, I told you before until death do us part and even if I know when that will be. I will face it as you have taught me, with determination and bravery. I will not run from my fate.”

“Mommy, what are you talking about?” Dinky asked. Before Derpy could answer Time Turner answered instead.

“What we are talking about is something that your mother has seen. You are of my blood, and thus my heir to a mighty legacy. Remember that wonderful adventure we went on before the war started?” Dinky laughed as she reached over and climbed into her father's arms.

“Yes I remember that one, we had fun and ran a lot. Running on four legs was fun!” She squeaked happily.

“Yes, we had a load of fun. And four legs is something your father did a lot before he came here. Hands are infinity more useful, like for instants tickling daughters.” Dinky squealed as Time Turner started to tickle her. After a moment he stopped his assault letting Dinky catch her breath before he continued. “And that will be your legacy to take once this war is over. We will see many new things and many new beings.” His eyes lit up as a wide grin spread across his face. “And the running, don't forget the running! And you will do that, if you so choose to when you are old enough, and time you will have all the time you will ever need.” Then his eyes grew sad. “But your mother, she will not be able to come with us. Her fate, is to stay here. She will do something of great importance but she wont' be able to come with us.”

Dinky turned to her mother with a scared look in her eyes. “Mommy can't go with us? But she came with us last time!”

“I know my little muffin.” Time Turner told her. “But your mother has something she needs to do, something that saddens me as much as it saddens you.”

Derpy stepped close to her family, one of her wings coming out and tickling Dinky along her side causing her to giggle as she hugged the two of them. “But know your mother does this so you can have that very life your father described. You will, with this legacy, see many things. You will know many things and some things will make you sad. Somethings you will have to do because you have no choice. But you are your father's daughter and I know you will make the right choices in your long life. If you ever wonder about if you are doing the right thing, know that your mother is very proud of you as is your father.” She kissed Dinky on the nose then kissed Time Turner as she stepped back. “I do believe that you were really going to spend some time with 'Sexy' was it? Just be sure to keep our little Muffin safe.”

“Not to worry, our Muffin is as dear to me as she is to you. I'll keep her safe at all costs. So will our friend, she has gotten use to the fact that she is my first love, but you are my true love.” Time Turner told her with a small smile. Then he gave a small toss to Dinky upwards as he turned to walk away. “Now my little Muffin, let's see what we will see today.”

“Be safe you two.” Derpy said with a wave. Once Time Turner and Dinky rounded a bend Derpy stopped waving. “You can come out now First Sergeant.” She turned and threw a salute at Twilight as she stepped out of the alleyway.

Twilight saluted back causing Derpy to take a parade rest stance. “Want to explain all that? You knew I was coming to talk to Time Turner and intercepted him then sent him away.” Twilight asked.

“Permission to speak freely?” Derpy asked causing Twilight to smile.

“You don't have to ask Sergeant.” Twilight told her with a nod.

“A lot of that was for you yes. It was my way or should I say our way of telling you that we, Time Turner and I, have talked it over and I must stay on with you Twilight. You are going to do great things, but you will need every soldier you can get your hands on to help you. I know a lot of us has taking the chance to raise our foals, but Dinky has her father and I will always be nearby. Dinky isn't losing a mother but gaining a Legacy to follow.” Derpy winked at her, the effect slightly lessened by the fact her other eye was wondering towards the nearby wall. “I'm just here to tell you that I am one of your Rangers and ready to follow orders MA'AM!”

Twilight shook her head. “Are all winged folk this stubborn or did I just get lucky? Dismissed Sergeant and report to duty at your next scheduled time.” With a quick salute Derpy spun on a heel and took off into the sky with a flair of her wings. “And I'm keeping an eye on you Ms. Derpy Whooves, I saw that corrected error on your papers.” She muttered to herself as she watched her fly away.

*****************

Twilight sat at a desk in the town hall a few hours later looking over a report or two, Rarity sitting with her.

“To be honest Darling, you could pick either place for your Command Post and it will work. Both have advantages and both have disadvantages.”

“I know, if I Post up here in the village I still have access to Mare and her admin team to help with the logistics of the Rangers. I pick the castle I need a new Admin team. Ponyville isn't as secure as the Castle, but if the Quil want to attack the Everfree base they got to go through Ponyville.” Twilight head desked with a faint 'Ow' of pain.

“Well doesn't that bring back memories.” Rarity said with a lady like laugh. “Chin up Darling it can't be that bad.”

“Bad enough.” Twilight said through the desk, not bothering to lift her head. “If I just had something to break this tie between the two options.”

“How about this? The Everfree base already has everything you need to run a Command Post. Have Mayor Mare train a few new Admin staff for you to use. And with all the civilians out of the base and back in Ponyville, we will have more space for both troops and supplies.” Rarity told her.

Twilight's head perked up, a grin spreading across her face. “And that is what I was looking for, thank you Rarity. Everfree it is, you still up for being command staff?” Rarity rubbed the back of her head.

“I'm not sure Darling. You see it was fine for a Sergeant like me to be command staff, most of the Rangers consisted of Ponyville Irregulars and very few if any made it past Sergeant. Now that you are getting your own true command and being supplied by new recruits and vets alike, well some of those vets won't like taking orders from a simple Sergeant.”

“I'll field promote you if I have to. You five did well in helping me out, I could use that help again.” Twilight told her.

“Even with out the offer of a promotion you can consider yourself helped.” Rarity told her.

“Thank you Rarity, you have no idea how much this means to me. I'll get the rest of the girls in on it too along with Shimmer and Trixie. I need folk I can trust in key positions in the Everfree.” Twilight told her causing Rarity to pause.

“Why is that Darling?” Rarity asked, with those simple words Twilight froze.

“They are already trying to take my command away from me.” Twilight said as she turned in her chair to look out the window. “General Celestia and General Luna have granted me command but there are those that want to make us into nothing more than weapons.” She turned back around and leaned back in her chair, elbows on the arm rests and her fingers laced in front of her mouth. “Basically the six of us squad up and put through Special Forces training. I've seen some of it, its the sort of training that breaks a folk into nothing then rebuilds them from the ground up in the perfect image of the Armed Forces. You can see what's wrong with that picture?”

“Very much so.” Rarity said as she touched the hilt of Generous Gift. “If we are nothing more than ordering following robots we can't wield Harmony. Generous here is already recoiling from the thought.”

“Exactly, that's not going to happen but there are those who are trying to become commander of the Rangers so they can be in command of the 'Harmony Squad' as they are already calling us.”

“Hope they plan on changing the name of the Rangers then, without you in charge the whole unit will disband.” Rarity growled as she leaned back in her chair as well, uncaring just how unladylike like it was.

Twilight stood up and walked around the desk. “Find Pinkie Pie and tell her that the party will be held in the Everfree Base, open for everyone in Ponyville. Start getting the troops and the supplies enroute, tell Pinkie to also take a moment to get the supply trains rolling again. I want to be eighty percent within a week. I'll find the others and enlist them as well. Dismissed.”

Rarity jumped to her feet and saluted with a wide grin on her face then daintily trotted out the door. As she ran out Twilight smiled at herself.

{Going to be a long week, but worth it.}

****************

“SPARKLE!” A voice shouted as Twilight ran across town for Sweet Apple Acres, she was going to find Applejack and get her on board but somefolk, who's voice was very familiar to her, stopped her. Skidding to a stop, one hand resting on Starfall to keep her balance, Twilight looked up to see Sunset walking up to her with Trixie right behind her, both didn't have happy looks on their faces as all three dragons followed after them. Spike looked a little embarrassed while the other two, Gypsy and Skylight, seemed a little smug as they approached her. Twilight groaned as her head sagged.

“Sparkle do you have any idea what I just caught our dragons doing?” Sunset asked her. Twilight lifted her head to look at her.

“You want Snark or Honesty?” Twilight asked with a deadpan look on her face. Shimmer blinked at her a moment then smiled.

“You pick, you never could pull off Snark too well.”

“If it has anything to do with what I caught you and Trixie doing back during basic, on many occasions, I really don't want to hear about it right now.” Twilight said without missing a beat, the deadpan look on her face never moved.

As both Trixie and Sunest blinked at her Twilight's horn lit up and Spike floated over to her.

“Um...yes mom?” Spike asked as he hovered there, fear creeping into his voice.

“What happened?” It was a simple question but also such a loaded question too.

“Um well, I gave both Skylight and Gypsy a gem.” Twilight raised her eyebrow at him. “It was a Heart Ruby, each. It has a special meaning to dragons when a male gives to a female. I...I like them both Twilight. I think I really like them so I made a move to form a flight with them.”

“Is that all? You are just forming what we would call a herd, fine I can live with that, but Sunset and Trixie wouldn't have came at me like this if something didn't test their sensibilities. You know how loose those are so what happened and if you lie to me Spike trust me you won't like what I'm going to do.” Twilight glared at him.

“It's...complicated. Nothing...happened but we were starting to nest together. Basically we ended up falling asleep in a dragon pile, something that only familiar groups of dragons do.” Spike told her.

Twilight looked between Spike and the other two dragons then back to Spike. “Nesting, sleeping together. Keep it at a simple dragon pile as you put it, I gave you the talk already, I'm trusting you to behave yourself around the girls until AFTER this war ends. I'm pretty sure neither Sunset or Trixie would want to find out their dragons are about to lay a clutch of eggs in the middle of a battle.” She looked at the other two. “And I hope you two can keep yourselves under control as well.”

“Yes ma'am.” Skylight and Gypsy both said at the same time as Spike was levitated between the two of them and dropped to his clawed feet.

“Good, and if I hear anything other wise...” Twilight left the threat hanging causing the three of them to nod vigorously. With a nod at the three of them she looked up at the two mares in front of her.

“How do you know all of that?” Trixie asked slightly amazed.

“The Dragon Queen herself.” Twilight watched as the dragons ran off some where. “When she came to Canterlot to talk to Celestia about the dragons joining the war I took the time to ask some questions for Spike's sake. He was there and much of what the Queen told us Spike took to heart. It wasn't long after that Spike formally requested of both the Queen and of Celestia to join the war effort. It was that question that dragged me into the war as well.” Twilight walked up and slid between the two of them and put her hands on there shoulders as she started forward again. “There are some days that I wonder if that was a good thing that Spike asked that question or not.” She mused.

“Uh, Twilight? You ok?” Sunset asked.

“I'm about ten seconds away from a full on break down to be honest.” Twilight started.

“Trixie agrees. You have all the signs of of a Twilight grade break down.” Trixie told her as she looked at Twilight. She reached up and pulled Twilight's hand off of her shoulder.

“At least you noticed. I have a dilemma on my hands girls. As you know I have been placed in charge of the Everfree base, well the base is no longer needed since the liberation of Ponyville, but I'm still in charge of the Rangers. I need a base of operations. If I get the Everfree base set back up as the Ranger's Base of operations then I don't have to worry about some folk coming in and trying to change everything. Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Dash and myself are now pretty important. I rather stay commander of the Rangers instead of some brass' weapon to deploy when he or she wants to. General Celestia and General Luna won't do that to us, but I have already had those wanting me to join their troops. If I get reassigned we ALL get reassigned. Do you want that?”

Sunset and Trixie looked at each other a moment. Twilight watched as the two of them used that silent talking to each other that those folk that have been together for a while can understand from each other. Finally without a word passing between them Sunset and Trixie nodded at her.

“Ok you got us. What do we do?” Trixie asked her with a roll of her eyes.

“Stay with me pretty much. If I got a Dragon Rider Wing, some Winged Squads and a few Ground Troops then I can keep enough forces to make a decent force. I'm sure I can even get a few Jeep squads in this as well. I rather be my own force than take commands from someone wanting to advance their career.” Twilight looked at the two of them. “You two will more than likely be your own squad until I get a few more riders.”

Sunset looked at Trixie and frowned then back to Twilight. “Listen Twilight, while I don't blame you really and personally I rather work with you cause you know what you are doing, can simple soldiers like us even hope to change orders when we get direct orders? We are soldiers not rebels. Trained and conditioned to follow orders. Its what we are!”

“Even if those orders go against the best thing that could happen to us?” Twilight asked.

“Again, WE. ARE. SOLDIERS. We follow orders no mater how off or wrong they are. It is what we are trained for and it was what we should do.” She looked at the two mares before her. “Trust me Twilight, I fully agree that this is the best thing to happen to the two of us and if everyfolk gets reassigned its going to break up more than just the two of us. I need to know if this is possible, I need to know I'm not going to worry about Trixie who's Celestia knows where. Convince me Twilight, convince me to break every order I have been given right now, convince me that you can be the CO I can believe in and don't point at those fancy weapons you girls got, I could honestly care less. Prove to me you are worth it.” Sunset told her jabbing her finger into Twilight's chest at each point. Something in her eyes was pleading with Twilight to do her best.

With a slow nod Twiligth pulled Starfall from its sheath and stabbed it point first into the ground and grabbed the hilt in both hands as she locked eyes with Sunset.

“I swear, on the Element of Magic, Starfall that I will not stop until the Quil have been driven from Equestria's lands. I will do everything in my power, even if it comes to disobeying a direct order, to keep all of those under my command safe. I promise that those who follow me shall not be used as nothing more than tools to farther the goals of those that see us as nothing more than tools. The only thing I cannot promise is we all will come home. I don't even expect to come home at the end of the day, but I can say that no death will be in vain.”

Sunset looked at her a moment then nodded as she reached into her fatigue pocket and pulled out a folded note and handed it to her. Twilight pulled her blade out of the ground and resheathed it. Taking the note she looked at it then glared at the offending piece of paper as if she was trying to make it burst into flames even though it stubbornly refused to do so. Trixie looked at Sunset with a raised eye.

“What is it Sunset?” Trixie asked laying a hand on Sunset's.

“Something that I hoped wouldn't have happened.” Sunset told her. Trixie looked at Twilight who handed her the note.

1st Sergeant Sunset Shimmer,

You are under orders to report to Canterlot Command within twenty four hours for your new post. Failure to follow these orders will result in you being declared AWOL and is punishable as such under military code of law.

Colonel Blueblood of the Canterlot command.

“WHAT?!” Trixie shouted as she crumpled up the note as her horn lit up only for Twilight to grab her horn disrupting her spell. Trixie glanced at Twilight and growled at her.

“Hold on a moment. I need that note.” She turned where the Dragons went. “SPIKE!” Though nothing was heard the sudden heaviness in the air spoke louder than words that Spike heard the call and groaned.

Twilight ignored the feeling and pulled out a note pad. She quickly wrote two notes, tearing them out as Spike walked up with the dragonesses in tow. Her horn was lit up but no one noticed where her spells were going.

“You called Twi?” Spike asked in sarcasm as he walked up. Twilight took the note and handed it to Spike he glanced it over. His eyes instantly glanced up at Skylight then back to Twilight. There was a fire in his eyes that wasn't there before. Despite any confusion he may have about the females standing next to him he instantly knew he was going to fight to keep his flight together.

“You got a plan mom? Be fore I do something rash?” Twilight couldn't help but to smile at Spike's self control. Most males would have already done something rash.

“Yes, yes I do. Send this note to Celestia real quick.” She handed one of the two folded note to Spike. With a quick breath it was on its way. Twilight nodded then looked at the noon sky. After a moment, noted by Spike's belch, a scroll appeared. Twilight quickly grabbed it out of the air and started to read. “You know, General Celestia has access to many writing mediums, including paper, but for some odd reason she loves to use a scroll when she sends by dragon fire. I really don't know why.” Twilight said calmly as she rolled the scroll back up then handed the second folded note to Spike. “Send that to Blueblood and keep the spells intact please.” She looked up at Shimmer and Trixie. “Go get your gear together and head back to the Everfree base, you are not leaving the Rangers until they carry you out feet first. Dismissed all five of you I need to find the rest of the girls, Twilight's Rangers are not going anywhere.”

************************

General Luna looked over a report. That in and of itself should not have been odd. But today, it was, as the General of the Moon, Alter Ego of Nightmare Moon, Commander of the Nightmare Special Forces and general hard plot was laughing. Of the four years of the war, Luna hardly laughed and hardly smiled unless she was required to. She was stotic and straight to the point, never wavering in her believe and her drive to free Equestria of the Quil threat. Folk started to skirt around her office door as they listened to her laugh a deep belly laugh, many skirted in fear and others skirted in worry for their General.

Finally, after nearly two hours of near constant laughing General Celestia came to investigate the some what frightened reports about her sister. Opening the door she saw her sister pounding her desk as she laughed, tears running down her eyes. Celestia stood in the door for a few moments as Luna's laughter died down enough for her to notice she was being watched. With a wave of her hand she motioned for Celestia to enter and pushed a report towards her cross the desk.

Picking up the report Celestia glanced at it. As she read she fought valiantly against the smirk that started to cross her face, it was a losing battle and soon she gave up the vangard and allowed the smile to advance unheeded. A moment later she too was giving a deep belly laugh as she clutched the edges of Luna's desk trying to keep herself from falling over. Luna looked back over the report and started to laugh again.

“Oh sister...HAHA...promotion?” Luna gasped between breaths.

“Yes, yes! I'll send her the paperwork...HAHA...later!”

Every folk avoided the hall where Luna's office was located as both their Generals were laughing long and hard.

********************

Twilight paced around her office sitting in the tower of the Everfree Castle. It, in a weird way, has become home. She knew what she was doing, her soldiers were back where they belonged and below they would be finishing returned to their homes as well. For many of them it would be like returning home. There was one thing she needed to check on that Applejack said she would take care off. Not that she didn't trust Applejack to do a good job, she just wanted to know exactly what she was working with and tired of waiting for the report. Tomorrow her new admin staff would arrive along with the improved scanner operators. She was getting Lyra and Bon Bon back, some of the best tactical officers she has ever served with.

Twilight sighed a bit. Her forces were down but she would be getting new recruits and vets assigned to her Rangers now. Her current forces were much smaller after the battle for Ponyville. Only three Winged Squads out of six, after deaths and retirements. Of the Seven ground squads she had four after deaths and retirements. Of the jeeps, nearly a dozen of them now down to eight. What Applejack was working on was trying to drum up some more important supplies and or jeeps still scattered around after the battle.

Twilight stopped in front of the window and looked down. It was getting into the late after noon and Pinkie's party would start soon. With a flash of purple light she vanished and soon reappeared in the motor pool.

“Ma'am!” A filly's voice called out. Turning around Twilight found herself face to face with Diamond Tiara who stood there, grease smeared all over her overalls and skin. For some reason she looked to be fully content.

“Miss Twilight.” Big Mac nodded from where he leaned back from the engine of a jeep.

“Ah good, Chief I need to talk to you. Your office?” Twilight motioned with her hand towards Big Mac's office.

“Eeyep.” Big Mac said with a smile. He pointed towards something in the engine and with a sharp salute Diamond dived it to fix what ever he pointed out. With a motion of his head he lead the way to his office where he shut the door once Twilight was inside. Idly she noticed he wasn't fully unpacked yet. “Twilight?” It was a simple question but it conveyed what he wanted conveyed.

“The Rangers are not getting any more from Ponyville, we are going to need more bodies in the field to be ready to respond as soon as possible. But I'm appointing those I trust to key positions through out the base. That being said, you are the Chief of the Motor Pool and I need you to pick out a Pit Boss.”

“Tiara...”

“Excuse me?” Twilight asked, surprised at his quick answer. Big Mac sighed good naturally as he prepared to give his biggest speech yet.

“Tiara came ta me knowing nothing. Learned quick, dived in like the Earth Folk she is. No longer a spoiled brat but a hard working member of my team. Knows engines well enough ta handle herself, would make ah great Chief one day.” Big Mac told her.

“I see.”

“Besides, she could use ah show of trust in her abilities.” There was a knowing smile to his face when he said that.

“Then do what you need, I'll get the paper work started.” Twilight paused a moment. “How will you and Cheerilee going to handle the split up?”

Big Mac blushed slightly though a sly smile was on his face. “We'll make do. Let's tell Tiara ta good news.” With a nod Twilight opened the door and walked out followed by Big Mac. “Tiara?”

The Filly in question picked up her head with a bang on the underside of the hood of the jeep she was working on.

“Ouch, yeah Chief?” Tiara called out as she rubbed her head where she hit it. Stepping around she saw Twilight and Big Mac walking up to her.

“Tiara, Ah got some news fer you.” Big Mac started, causing Diamond Tiara to cock her head to the side in confusion. “We are still Rangers, we need ta work hard ta keep the jeeps in shape.”

“Yeah, I know that. I'm working hard to not let you down Chief.” Tiara told him, the puzzlement evident.

“What our silent friend is trying to say is that with more soldiers and jeeps comes the need for more mechanic staff. Big Mac has agreed to stay on as my Chief but he's going to need a Pit Boss to keep everything in order. Out of all the crew he has now, he has picked you to become his Pit Boss because of all your hard work. Congratulations Diamond Tiara on your promotion.” Twilight told her as she held out her hand to shake Tiara's, a hand she slowly took.

“I don't know what to say ma'am.” Tiara breathed slowly.

“I believe 'Yes ma'am' would work and you need to get ready. I'm sure Big Mac has a lot to teach you.”

“Yes...yes ma'am. I accept...” Tiara told her still shocked.

“Good, make me proud Diamond Tiara. Dissmissed.”

Tiara turned and walked away, stunned at what just happened to her as Big Mac stepped up beside Twilight.

“She felt she was just repenting for her mistakes. Should do her good to know her work is appreciated.”

“I'll leave you to it then. Do what you need to do Chief.”

“Yes Miss Twilight.”

“Congrats to your little sister's promotion by the way. The review board is going to let it stand, of course I didn't protest it either.”

“Eeyup.”

Smiling as she walked away Twilight made another check on her mental check list. One last thing to do and more than likely she would have to kick her brother's flank for it.

***********************

The barracks was quiet for the moment as three fillies walked back to their bunks. They were exhausted but happy, their jeep was stored with the help of the new Pit Boss, their geared was stowed away and they got first claims to the rooms in the barracks. Quickly taking one of the three folk rooms they stripped out of their fatigue jackets and pants down to their olive unders and playfully made claims on the top bunk until Scootaloo jumped up there and declared herself 'Queen of the Bunk'. Then the first war of the top bunk started as the three friends rough housed who would truly get the top bunk when there was a knocking on the door.

“Who could that be?” Sweetie Belle asked as she hopped off the bunk and walked towards the door. Opening the door Sweetie's eyes went wide. “Commander on Deck!” Within seconds the bunk issue was solved as the three of them stood at attention in front of the bunks with Scootaloo having won it in over time.

“At ease. I'm just here to visit.” She looked at the three of them as the visibly relaxed. “I hear a congratulations are in order for Sergeant Applebloom.” Twilight said. The filly in question beamed with pride, it was her first real promotion. “I said I'm here for a visit, well there is a reason for it too. Each of you have served quiet well during the Battle for Ponyville and since we lost quite a number of jeeps and their crews, either to enemy action or retirement I find that I need a commanding officer for my crews. One the rest of the crews to look up to. I want to make your crew Smokie 1-1. Congrats to the three of you.”

“Thank ya Miss Twilight...uh 1st Sergeant.” Applebloom told her.

“No need to think me, thank yourselves. It was your skill, your bravery, your ability that brought this to you.” Twilight nodded at the three of them causing them laugh a bit as they collapsed on the bottom bunk. As they did so Twilight caught a glimpse of a spot of color on the yellow filly's side. “Applebloom, is that what I think it is?” She asked pointing.

Instantly all three fillies stopped their motions and looked over at each other. Slowly they looked at Applebloom's hips when she lifted her shirt slightly. Under the olive shirt was a small symbol. An apple over a silver star.

“Well Ah'll be, Ah wonder when Ah got that?” She muttered to herself as she looked up at her friends with a smile. “But what does it mean?”

“I believe it means you are an Apple, but you are a leader. The Apple shows your roots, as Applejack once said you are an 'Apple to the Core'. But the silver star, well that star is the exact same design for the Rank of Brigadier General, which is a single silver five pointed star. You might be destined to climb the ranks a bit Applebloom. Did you have it when you went into the Battle for Ponyville?” Twilight asked.

“No Ah didn't...then when did Ah get my cutie mark...Shining Armor! When he field promoted me he placed me in charge of a section of the defensive ring.” Applebloom said slapping her forehead with a hand.

“And none of us noticed this when we were in the mare's showers?” Scootaloo asked with a raised eyebrow. “I'm sorry for not paying attention, Applebloom. This is a cause for celebration. The CMC has finally all found our cutie marks.” As she started to pump her fist into the air all three froze like a freezing spell was cast then they looked at each other. If we are no longer the Cutie Mark Crusaders...then what are we?”

After a moment Sweetie Belle smiled. “We are still Crusaders. When this war is over, there will be other fillies and colts who will be looking for their Cutie Marks and we can help them. We can pass the CMC on to another generation. Just because we have our Cutie Marks doesn't mean we can't stop crusading.”

“And that's how it should go girls. I'm proud of you.” Twilight told them. She turned for the door. “Pinkie's party will start in a few hours, I'll let her know you three need to celebrate your Cutie Marks as well.

**************************

That night as the party Pinkie was striving to throw for the village of Ponyville threw itself into full swing to Celebrate not only the restoration of the Everfree Base and the continuation of Twilight's Rangers, but to celebrate three of their own gaining their Cutie Marks, something every Stallion, Mare and Foal could party too. Pinkie went all out in setting it up and all out in keeping the party rolling. One mare though, wasn't at the celebration, she was standing on the roof of the Hanger watching the night sky slowly rotate over her head. Behind the mare a light blue flash went off signaling the arrival of another.

“Twilight Sparkle? Why are you up here of all places. Trixie says you need to come to the party!” Trixie said as she stepped up beside Twilight. In the mare's hand was a can of Sweet Apple Acre's Hard Cider.

“Maybe in a moment. I need a moment to think, to figure out if I'm doing the right thing.” Twilight told her not looking over at her friend. Trixie was silent a moment then turned to look at Twilight.

“I think you need to just go with it. You are smart, smart to the point of brilliant. I know I'll never get to be your level of smart so I make do with what I have, bravado and trickery.” Trixie told her dropping the third person mode of speech. Twilight raised an eyebrow but didn't turn to look at her yet. If she was dropping her stage act then she was being serious. “Sunset is the same way, she is brilliant, funny and powerful in her own right. But she has something you are only now starting to figure out, something both Sunset and I have figured out.”

At those words Twilight turned to face her with a puzzled look on her face. “What do you mean?” Twilight asked.

“I mean that we both have figured out what to do to get folk to follow us. But we find we can't use it around you, because without even trying to already did it too.” Trixie said. She took a deep drag of her drink then made it vanish with a flash of light blue light. Twilight cocked her head to the side in confusion as she waited for Trixie to continue. “Quite the coup too. You see what you lack at times is the 'mojo' or the 'swag' as many Stallions put it. All it really is nothing more than confidence in yourself and your abilities. I used it to bring folk to my shows before I was drafted to this war. Sunset has an air of confidence in her that makes folk believe that she has a plan for everything, one reason why I love her so much. You know her, she doesn't think THAT far ahead, ahead enough to not be surprised by certain things yes but not that far ahead. You on the other hand...” Trixie flashed another can to her hand and popped the top for another swig. “You make people believe in you and each other in ways I never thought possible. You inspire trust and loyalty just by being yourself, just by doing what you firmly believe is right. Don't stop that Sparkle, no matter what. Do what you believe is right and don't doubt yourself, it doesn't matter if the path is right or wrong, what matters is what you do while on it. You on the wrong path, then MAKE it the right path. You on the right path, then make it better.” Trixie jabbed Twilight in the chest to make a point then she took another swig. “Just be yourself and trust what you believe in. Now come down to the party before Pinkie comes after you. As for me, I got a golden mare waiting on me and Trixie is going to make her night one to remember.”

Twilight blinked as Trixie vanished in front of her. She looked back up at the moon as it drifted over head.

“Be myself huh? Maybe...” With a flash of purple light she too vanished.

Else where in the base three dragons were piled together in what Spike called a Dragon Pile sleeping contently through the night. Suddenly one belched and a flash of green could be seen from under the pile though none of them moved an inch.

Author's Note:

Well what do you know, I'm still alive. Yes this story is on going and far from dead, though after the last couple of months I had, being dead would only mean i'm catching up on my sleep.

Still, we got Cameos and oddities oh my! :pinkiehappy:

As usual comment below and let me know what you think, what can be done to improved, what you like about the story and throw some comments about what you think would be cool. Go ahead post below, you know you want to. :raritywink:

Comments ( 1 )

6789753
Hell I'm just happy SOMEONE is taking the moment to point that out. Thanks for that, I guess before I post up the next chapter I'll go back with a fine tooth comb and see if I can't knock some of that stuff out. Thanks. :) My own grammar is, I know, terrible and I can never get any one to explain it in a way I can grasp it. Still confused but at least I got a direction and examples. :pinkiehappy: Terrible grammar aside, what did you think of the story?

Login or register to comment