• Published 22nd Sep 2014
  • 2,816 Views, 774 Comments

Dueling Keyboards - FanOfMostEverything



FoME's submissions to the Writeoff Contests, along with other bits and bobs.

  • ...
6
 774
 2,816

PreviousChapters Next
Crate Expectations

Applejack didn't much care for Locoweed.

It wasn't that the mare was an Apple by marriage. Despite baseless rumors (no doubt started by the Strawberries,) the Apples took no issue with grafting new branches onto the family tree. Applejack's own mother was proof of that, Luna rest her soul. True, there had been a fair amount of drama surrounding Buttercup's betrothal, but that was because of a feud with a single other clan, not some cockamamie notion of "keeping the blood pure." That sort of thing was for Canterlot nobles with Hapspur muzzles and cloven hooves, not honest folk.

(Not that Applejack had ever met a Canterlot noble so disfigured, as the part of her that was Honesty had to note. But she figured they just kept the bad ones stowed away in the cellar like crazy Aunt Manchineel.)

No, Applejack's quarrel with Locoweed was that the mare enjoyed her own crop a little too much and a little too often. There were no prizes for guessing what she raised, between her resin-bound dreadlocks, green-on-green color scheme, and cutie mark of a leaf like a minotaur's spread hand. And darn if she didn't cultivate strains potent enough to get even Twilight to unwind a little. But it was when she tried to help outside of her area of expertise that the problem arose.

Applejack looked from the sign to the mare and back again. "Loco, I told you we had the potluck under control."

Loco gave her a lazy smile. "Just tryin' to lend a hoof, AJ."

"There's lendin' a hoof, and there's makin' trouble enough for three more."

"C'mon, mare, it's my first Apple reunion. Smoke's been lookin' forward to me meetin' all of you for moons. Years, even!" Loco blinked, her grin falling to confusion. "Uh, maybe. How long is a hundred moons, again?"

Applejack rolled her eyes. "We met at th' weddin'." They very nearly hadn't. Loco and Applewood Smoke had moved the wedding to a week before the original date so it wouldn't overlap with the Festival of Friendship. Which may or may not have helped save Equestria, depending on how badly the girls had needed that package of gummies Applejack had been saving in her hat, both for calories and for pressing on in light of the Storm Forces' attack.

"Yeah, we did," said Loco, moving a hoof from her to Applejack, "but, like, not all the we did, you know?" She spread that same hoof over a wide area.

A mind accustomed to processing Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle made quick work of the statement. "The whole family, you mean?"

"Exactamundo."

Applejack sighed and patted Loco on the withers. "Yer heart's in th' right place, but you ain't gonna make a good impression on 'em this way."

Loco frowned. "I mean, I brought brownies, but they aren't my best, so it didn't feel like enough. Being an Apple means you do your fair share, right?"

"It's yer first reunion, Loco. Nopony's expectin' you to organize th' whole thing." Applejack looked back at the offending object. "But they're also expectin' better than that."

"It's a perfectly accurate sign."

Applejack looked at the crate of nectarines, then at the shakily hoof-painted sign that read "Tree Fruit," and finally back to Loco, an eyebrow cocked.

"Mare, do you know how much of Califoalnia is on fire these days? The only reason I remember what apples are is because I married one."

Author's Note:

Inspired by a few crates of peaches outside of a Trader Joe's, which did indeed proudly bear the caption "California Tree Fruit." I have since learned that that's the name of the distributor, but the initial conclusion amused me enough to produce this.

As for why nectarines are at an Apple Family Reunion, again, they welcome all kinds. Except those low-down, no-good, moon-banished Strawberries.

PreviousChapters Next