• Published 5th Dec 2014
  • 624 Views, 5 Comments

Let them Dream. - Golden Paw



Guarding the dreams of her subjects is Luna's charge, her duty. But it is a daunting task, can Luna keep doing it?

  • ...
0
 5
 624

Let them Dream.

The magical blades slipped through the swirling cloud of blackness, making a sound akin to a knife cutting silk. Luna frowned as the phantom-like substance before her dissipated with a low wail of defeat. This last foe vanquished, Luna brought the matching pair of short swords into a guard position.

Arcane power flowed around the dark blue alicorn. It danced along her horn and sent shimmering snakes of power along her outstretched wings. Luna was enveloped within a protective sphere which crackled and spat as shapeless enemies raked it with talons of blackest night.

But the assault was thinning, the malevolent forces which assailed Luna were finally tiring of their futile attempts to get past her. With a final triumphant flash of lightning Luna banished her foe, their insubstantial forms dissolving like smoke

As the final anguished cries faded Luna allowed her two swords to fade into nothingness in turn. Two slivers of blackness darker than any of the terrors she’d faced tonight, Luna’s blades were potent tools. Manifestations of her anger and sorrow, that though useful, scared Luna far more than anything she’d faced this night.

Panting from the exertion Luna fought to calm her pounding heart. The thrill of combat was like a tonic for Luna’s restless soul, but with it came the memories and temptations. Those same weapons she’d used to fight the darkness here had also been used to...

She’d only been back a few months and so much of the world had changed in her absence. So much of the world made little sense to Luna now, and working out her frustrations upon such foes in many ways helped eased that tension.

The duty of guarding her subjects’ dreams was something familiar, a reference point in a world that had moved so much in the last thousand years. Yet it still had her balancing on a knife point. It called to parts of her soul that Luna would rather forget, yet was part of her. What gave her power to fight evil also came with its own snares.

Slowly removing her helmet, Luna regarded the black armour glinting in the strange un-light of this place. She studied that simple piece of armour with an unsure heart, It had seemed so much heavier all those years ago, how was it lighter now?

With a thought, Luna stored the helmet away, quickly followed by the rest of the armour girded about her body. Each piece vanishing easily and leaving Luna un adorned in her natural blue hue. It would come when she called, but would it always leave so easily?

Her thoughts were caught and re-aimed by a tiny sound. One that caused Luna’s ears to prick up in attention. As she listened Luna’s muzzle formed a smile while her eyes sparkled. It was the sounds of laughter. Not the malevolent cackle of the darkness she’d chased away, but something far more pleasing.

The smile grew as Luna happily pushed herself towards the sound. The drifting eddies of her world; that space between dreams and waking danced as the musical notes of foal’s laughter called to her. Luna followed the sounds gladly, weaving between small pockets of dream states temporarily safe from the preying creatures of this realm.

She powered her wings and enjoyed the simple freedom of flight. Oh Luna had flown in the waking world of course, where her ponies lived and played - the lands of Equestria and all the logic of ‘real life’. But here she truly felt free, moving by nothing but the power of thought.

Luna laughed softly as other creatures, those whose natures were kind and curious, following in her wake. Not everything here was evil hearted and she watched as the glinting balls of starlight flowed about her, dancing like candles with gentle tinkling sounds.

They pressed in close, dancing around this being who was of their world and yet so far removed. Luna laughed all the louder as they zipped and spun around her, welcoming in their attention and tickling her hairs with their touch.

Eventually the swarm’s curiosity was satisfied and Luna homed in on the sounds of foals laughing once more. There were millions of contained dreams here, floating spheres each holding their own little world: The night visions of countless ponies sleeping throughout Equestria, all as varied as those who dreamt them.

Luna passed scenes of cloudy skies and lakes of deepest blue. She regarded only briefly the sights of ponies struggling to overcome some problem or challenge, Subtle reflections, of their deepest fears or their fondest hopes, all playing out in the realm of dreams. She powered on, leaving the older ponies to their visions. Many were private and Luna granted that wish. There were others who she longed to see.

The sounds of merriment drew closer and Luna let it wash over her. It made the alicorn’s heart leap as the little ones played; their dreams were always more vivid and magical than the adults. Ideas and wonders lost to the older equines of Equestria.

This was Luna’s tender garden of foalhood and she loved it dearly: A safe haven from the worries and cares of the waking world. These were the dreams that needed the most care, but gave the greatest reward.

Luna closed her eyes, simply listening to the sounds that filled her soul. Of all the beauties of the world she’d yet to find another quite like the simple, honest dreams of foals. Life was so much less complicated for them, so much more straight forward and in a small way Luna envied them. They haven’t lost that wonder and potential.

With another thought Luna summoned a cloud into being and with a contented sigh settled down. Resting her tired limbs in its soft embrace she peered out over the floating globes, each one a different colour. The shining dreams carried on into the distance, perspective shrinking them to twinkling points of light and Luna smiled, “They look just like my stars.”

One sphere drifted closer and Luna gave a contented sigh, watching as scenes of castles and princesses played out before her. A tiny filly, no older than a few years if Luna was any guess, watched in wonder as spires and towers rose up around her and were quickly filled by cheering ponies.

Luna couldn’t help but smile; the little brown earth pony with eyes of deepest blue conjured the likenesses of tall elegant alicorns which could only be Celestia and herself. Luna laughed softly, all the ponies here were far taller than in real life; their images looming over the little filly but not in a threatening manner.

Luna had never been that small, she had never been born but came into being like her sister. To see the world from a foal’s eyes was so fascinating. Her smile only widened as the two dream alicorns bowed to this little filly. Luna had the impression that words were spoken and the little foal giggled happily and ran forward to embrace the legs of Celestia’s likeness.

The tiniest flash of old pain stabbed at Luna’s heart: Celestia was the guardian of Equestria, loved by her subjects and protector of the waking world for their subjects. Luna’s work was behind the scenes so it was only to be expected that.....

A tear formed in Luna’s eye as the little filly quickly rushed over to her likeness and threw little hooves around her legs. Despite Luna’s best efforts she felt her lip tremble as the likeness reached down a hoof and ruffled the earth pony’s black mane. Yes, things were better now.

Another gasp of contentment escaped Luna as the two images introduced other alicorns which could only be Cadence and Twilight. The little foals eyes sparkled with joy as each distorted pony was hugged in turn and Luna felt her heart tremble. Such innocence and trust, surely foals are an example to us all.

The dream moved, flowing around the foal so that she was now standing in a grand hall. With laughter and joy the four princesses escorted this little filly through a grand palace, each window was bright, every gem glowing with power and.....

The hissing malice drew Luna’s focus away. She snapped her head up and around and glared at the source of intrusion. The lurking threats of nightmares were creeping back, easily banished but persistent in their efforts.

With a final glance back at the happy scene Luna felt her heart burn, anger pure and scolding filled her. Life was hard enough without others making it worse, ponies had enough to deal with in their own worries and insecurities. She would not see her charges hurt or frightened. With fresh determination Luna summoned back the swords of darkness and felt the armour of night reattach itself to her frame. She channeled that anger into punishing those who would hurt her little ones. The sorrow would be there’s for daring to threaten those Luna held dearest.

The duty was a burden, but with the laughter of blissfully ignorant dreamers giving Luna courage and resolve. She launched upwards holding both swords at the ready before an almost feral grin crossed her muzzle.

The old pains and worries of a thousand years seemed distant as Luna prepared to again guard the dreams of her subjects. For them she could do this, for as long as it took. The armour wasn’t heavy, the blades not a weight to bear, not if she kept those she cared for safe.

The End.

Comments ( 5 )

This story is really good! It's too short for Equestria Daily though... Maybe Twilight's Library?

You forgot to add genre tags.

5349144 Gah yes you're right! Thanks for the prompt and thanks for taking the time to read it! :pinkiecrazy:

Beautiful work here

5349751 Thanks :twilightblush: It was a team effort silent really gave some great input that helped steer it in the right direction :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment