• Published 16th Aug 2014
  • 910 Views, 14 Comments

A hard lesson - Kanske_2099



Twilight Sparkle; gets sick. She decides to keep it a secret to not put stress over any of her friends.

  • ...
3
 14
 910

4. Acceptance

Twilight was trotting in town, noticing nopony was outside, she continue her way wondering where was everypony. She suddenly see a gathering of ponies far away.

She approached them as fast as she could, but stopped suddenly as if she would had hit a rock. Her eyes opened wide, her jaw almost to the floor, at the sight of a funeral.

All ponies, surrounding a coffin, a wood coffin, with a rather familiar design painted on it.
Twilight’s cutie mark. She look aside , her parents in each other’s hooves, Shining Armor in a line with a few royal guards that had met Twilight before she moved to Ponyville.
The other side had her friends crying their eyes out, Spike was nowhere to be seen.
And in the center, there was Princess Celestia preceding the funeral.

She started to cry, then watched at her hooves, they were transparent, she knew it was her on that coffin, she didn’t knew what to do. She felt the presence of another pony, Princess Luna was staring at her, with a sad expression.

“Come with us Twilight Sparkle” She yelled at her, and took flight.

“why?, uhm i mean, alright”

Twilight then realized that was just a dream, so she calm herself down and followed Luna.

“Thou shalt not fear the cold embrace of the death, that which can not be avoided, thou must comprehend that it is a matter beyond thine control. Thou shalt focus on a very important task, that bonds thyself and the bearers of the Elements of Harmony”

After that explanation Twilight woke up, not knowing why the princesses made such a big deal about that friendship that most likely end in some time, hopefully not soon.
But she knew they were wise, she must keep with the program, to learn everything she can about the magic of friendship.


Twilight looked herself at the mirror, shook her head, and once again, she shed a few tears.
But this time she was decided to keep on her studies, like nothing was happening.
She took a bath, prepared herself and was escorted to Ponyville by two royal guards.

She arrived at the train station. Then trotted at a slow pace. Accepting more and more the fact that this might be it. Her condition could not be cure, her family would suffer the most. SHe could always look on her books, or in that castle of the two sisters, certainly there could be dark magic involved. Was she desperate enough to try that?. No, Twilight knew better.

She continues her way to home, only to find Pinkie knocking on her door.

“Twilight!! come out,” Yelled the pink pony.

“I’m right here, you know, “ said Twilight to the oblivious mare.

“Ok so let me in! “ Said Pinkie still looking at the door.

Twilight just sigh and her horn glowed as she magically opens the door.

“FInally! i’ve been here like an hour” she talked as she enter the library, “wait .. where are you?”

Twilight poke her on her shoulder and she turned her head around.
“There you are! , oh i see you just arrived from your trip to Canterlot. I needed to see if you were ok, since you let Spike here and i would hate to travel alone, and did you miss me?”
Said the cheerful mare while taking Twilight’s face on her hooves.

“I am fine, don’t you worry about me,” Twilight tried to explain. “And of course i missed you Pinkie Pie”

Pinkie began jumping around the library as she talked.
“I would love to stay and chat more but the Cakes need me to do some extra hours today”

“It’s ok Pinkie, i am tired from the travel, so i could use some rest” said the purple pony.

“Oki-dokie-loki , see you later ,”
She then speeded out of there, making a bunch of books fell out of the shelves.


She just sit in the middle of the library, and checks all those books that were now on the floor.
“I’ve read that one, and that other one.. and this one… i better relax and .. “
She talked to herself , and trotted slowly to her room and jump to her bed.


Next day she was staring at that invitation for another Pinkie's party.

"Twilight!" Her little assistant asked waving a claw in front of Twilight's eyes.

The purple unicorn awakes from her thoughts.
"What is it Spike?"

"I lost you for a minute" said the worrying dragon. "You've been very weird these past few days"

"I am not... i'm just a little distracted that's all," Twilight replied and looked away.

"I'm gonna talk to the girls, they could help you i am sure," Spike tried to exit the library.

Twilight rapidly grabbed him and held him with her front hooves. Looking at the little dragon's eyes.

"Please, don't. I will solve this, i promise" said desperately the unicorn.

"Ok. I'll give you time, but if i see you like this again i will even tell to Princess Celestia"

"Thank you Spike" she said while giving a lovely smile and wrap her hooves around him.
“I promise you, everything will be fine soon”

She was doing her best at hiding her problem, but it was obvious that she wasn’t good at lying, so she buried herself on books, using a spell for speed-reading she learnt years ago.
She found nothing, she will just have to do anything to keep hiding it from her friends.

“I know Princess Celestia said that i had to tell them … but it’s not the right time yet”
She talked to herself.

“When it’s gonna be the right time?” She asked

“I don’t know .. when … perhaps … “ She again answered herself.

Spike was approaching her as she heard the last couple of words.

“Did you say something? “ He asked

“I need to keep my routine or they’ll suspect” She thought before answering Spike’s question.

“Grab a quill and some parchment , i need you to make a list”

They made a list, ink, a rope, vegetables, milk, coffee and sugar. As well as other necessary items.
She also added some extra gems to keep her assistant happy.
They went to town and walked to store to store, with no rush, choosing the best vegetables and then stopping to buy lunch.

They sat on a park’s bench and saw a few fillies playing ball, a pond where little ducks were swimming and an old mare giving tossing bread to the ground and the ducks quickly approach the food, a small one, like thanking her walk to the old mare and sat next to her on the bench.

The old pegasi took the little duck in her hoof and softly pat its head. Then placed the little one down for it to return with its family. Twilight smiled at the cute sight and her heart filled with a warm feeling.


They continued the day, finished other chores and Spike decided to take a twenty minutes nap.
Twilight knew that his “twenty minutes” could mean more than two hours. So she sat on a chair next to a table and open a book and placed in the table.

She couldn’t began the reading as her mind was assaulted with yet more horrible images, of the pain that was about to come, she wasn’t sure if she could handle it. She felt fear, of the unknown. The darkness, the nothingness. She knew what she should do.
To finish with those fears, and with every problem, to save their friends and family a feeling of helplessness and the toll that watching your daughter or friend dying slowly would carry.
Across the room, on the floor, an eight feet long rope was calling her name.

“Is that it? am i going to take the easy way out?”

Her horn glow with magic as she levitated the rope to the ceiling and tying the rope.
She placed a chair and a bunch of books on it. She began to write a note .

“Dad, mom, Shining, i love you all and i will miss you all …. Pinkie, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow, Flutters , i hate myself for not telling you before, i know you’ll get over this ..”

“well that’s as good as any letter” She said to herself. Staring at the rope in the middle of the room, well placed, double checked to be sure it would support her weight.

She levitated herself on top of the books, she took the rope on her hooves and …
Somepony knocking on the door startled her and she fell of the chair with all the books.

She magically hide the rope under a bunch of books. Then opened the door.

“No. please don’t …” She thought. It was Applejack, the element of honesty. Somepony she knew was almost impossibly to lie to.

“Howdy Twilight!” Said Applejack cheerfully.

“Hey AJ, what can i do for you?” She asked nervously.

“Ah’ was coming to check on you and brought some delicious apple pie. You're feeling better?”

“Yes i am feeling great” She tried to pull the biggest smile she could.

“uhh, you sure Twilight?

“Positive, it just that i was very busy cleaning this mess since my assistant had to take a nap”
Twilight’s heart was racing at that moment.

“Well, i am busy myself today, so Ah’ll just leave the pie on your table, wait for it to cool down before eating”

“Thank you very much Applejack, for your concern and for the tasty pie”

“Not a problem Twi”


Applejack made her way to her farm finally. Twilight Sparkle sigh and her heart was slowly going back to normal. She closed the door and turned once again to that rope.

With a quick spell she torn the rope into pieces, ashamed about what she almost did.
She couldn’t forgive herself. She was gonna take all that it would come to her.

Comments ( 4 )

the idea has promise, but the writing is terrible.
Im not being mean or rude, i'm just being honest. Compared to any of the good story's on this site, this one dose not even come close. Most people who find this story probably will not read past teh first chapter unless major changes are made.

Comment posted by NebulaNyx deleted Aug 30th, 2014

4926654 I agree with NebulaNyx on this. Very good idea, but lacks the proper grammar to keep readers from turning away. Try looking into getting an editor. It'll help your story tremendously in the long run.

4954680

Thanks, i know i still have way to go.

I recently got an editor and he's working on the story,

As soon i heard from him i'll update it.

Login or register to comment