• Published 16th Aug 2014
  • 911 Views, 14 Comments

A hard lesson - Kanske_2099



Twilight Sparkle; gets sick. She decides to keep it a secret to not put stress over any of her friends.

  • ...
3
 14
 911

3. Things aren't what they look like

Chapter 3: Things Aren’t What They Look Like

Twilight's mind was wandering. She was staring at a picture on the wall, a framed photo of her and Shining Armor. A soft smile was on her face. Another photo, this one the whole family, her parents, her brother and herself. A third photo, taken after the wedding between Shining and Princess Cadence.

Then her attention went to the chandelier on the ceiling, something elegant and beautiful, decorated with clear and gorgeous crystals, and a few diamonds. Almost as elegant as the decorations of the castle where Princess Celestia and Princess Luna ruled.

"Dear... you were saying?"

Her mother interrupted her thoughts and she suddenly found herself being stare at by three pair of eyes.

"Oh, uh...” Twilight sighed. “Sorry. As I was saying, it started a few days ago. I was feeling bad, some nausea that I attributed to some minor stomach disease."

"And you didn't call your mother because...?" Velvet inquired.

"Mom, I thought it was nothing; please let me explain, " Twilight said with a calm tone. "Anyways, I went to the doctor and took some medicine. Everything felt normal until the other day. I passed out... For a couple hours and... Well, everything got worse. I had some tests done..." Tears were forming on in eyes, her voice became higher as she tried to control herself.

"Twily, is it that bad? " Shining asked, his voice soft. His concerned look helped Twilight a little.

"It's some kind of tumor. The doctors can't reach it, not without ... Well, you know what I mean," she said, and then she started crying.

Her father stood there, silent, looking directly into her eyes. He was a strong stallion, but it was clear that his strength only get so far. His eyes were as sad as her daughter's. Her mother, the most sensitive in the family, was crying as well, her hooves covering her eyes.

"So... That means... There's no hope?" Her brother asked and got up to nuzzle Twilight and hold her in his hooves.

"I'd like to think there's some hope, but neither the doctors nor I are optimistic. I'll be seeing some specialists that Dr. Stable recommended, but..."

"I can't lose my little sister! This can't be true, don't give up Twilly! " Twilight felt her brother's tears on her shoulders

"We're all here for you, my little filly" Her father said, joining the hug. Her mom soon joined in.

Twilight Sparkle felt the warmth of her family, the love that they shared was nothing she could ever fully explain. She felt safe around them, the most important ponies in her life.

She broke the hug, when she remembered her appointment with the princesses.

"I'm sorry dad, mom, Shining, but I've got to see Princess Celestia. Don't you worry, I'll spend some more time with you later." Twilight said with a smile, her eyes soaked in tears.

"Very good darling, but first you should wash your face," her mother said, but couldn't stop her own tears.

She just step outside and found two royal guards with a carriage awaiting for her. Her eyes wide open at the view, a guard walked up to her and said

"We are here to take you to the castle Miss Sparkle."

She wasted no time and got on the transport. She knew Princess Celestia was in a rush, and she was worried that her teacher knew something, or at least suspected something odd had happened.

Could she already know about it? She was nervous about Celestia's reaction to the news. Could she ask her for help? Of course she could, but Twilight knew that only the darkest of magic could interfere between life and death, and Celestia was wiser than that.

She soon arrived at the castle. In the throne room sat the Princess of the Sun and the Princess of the Moon, as expected, but standing beside them was the Princess of Love. All of them stood with a serious look in their eyes. They all seem to know already.

"Twilight it's nice to see you, but I wish it would be under different circumstances," Celestia said.

"Dear Twilight Sparkle, we can tell what's haunting you" Luna added

"I think we should let her talk first..." Cadence suggested to the princesses. “Hello, Twilight.”

"Hi Cadence. I have some kind of tumor, and it can't be removed. I came here to tell my family and ask for help too."

"Have you told your friends about it? " Celestia asked.

"I don't want them to be sad. My family had to know, but my friends don't need to worry about me on top of everything else they have to do. They have better things to do with their lives.”

She looked at the princesses, her face sad, but still she remained calm.

"You were sent to Ponyville to learn about friendship, yet you keep your friends out of the loop in something this important?” Celestia asked, disappointment evident.

Twilight ears went down and tears began to flow like a river down her cheeks. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. Her heart beat so fast that she felt it was popping out of her chest. Luna and Cadence seemed sad and worried, but they stayed quiet.

Then, one more thing followed.

"You know that I've lived many years, but I've never seen someone as capable and skilled at magic as you, not even Starswirl the Bearded or Clover the Clever. Even so, you still have things to learn, and I believe you can still do those things. After all you will be facing a special test very soon." Celestia said, her voice stern but somewhat understanding. It hurt, more than anything Twilight remembered. But it was necessary.

"I'm sorry Princess Celestia, I'll talk to them." Twilight affirmed.

"You should do it soon. Now, we have a room waiting for you. You can spend the night, and I want you to think about your situation and to consider your friends more"

"I will Princess," Twilight said while rubbing her eyes with one hoof.

"I'll take you to your room," Cadence approach Twilight.

They trotted to a room that had been prepared for the visit.

"I'm sorry Twilight, my aunt was too cold out there. She has seen too many ponies come and go. She forgets how they can feel sometimes."

"I know. I just... I don't think I'm as important as ponies say I am... Princess Celestia would find a replacement..." Twilight said while looking at the floor, then entered the room , confused by her mentor's behavior.

She slowly crawl to the bed and prepared to sleep... Or at least try to.

Author's Note:

EDITED! :D