• Published 16th Aug 2014
  • 911 Views, 14 Comments

A hard lesson - Kanske_2099



Twilight Sparkle; gets sick. She decides to keep it a secret to not put stress over any of her friends.

  • ...
3
 14
 911

2. The trip

Chapter 2: The Trip

Rainbow Dash was riding the wind, fast but simultaneously gracious and with an almost perfect shape.

“She is so magnificent,” Twilight thought, looking at the figure that appear on the sky. But even with the beautiful and complex pattern that appeared from the rainbow trail, it looked like she was searching for something or… somepony.

“Twilight!” yelled Rainbow Dash as she nosediving towards her friend. “There you are! I saw you earlier near the hospital but I was too busy working,” said the colorful Pegasus. “So? How do you feel? You are getting better, right?”

“Yeah, the doctor was just making sure everything was ok. I am better now.”

“Hundred percent sure? “ Rainbow asked, raising an eyebrow.

Twilight, trying to make a believable smile, replied, “Yes Rainbow, I wouldn’t lie to a friend. You know that”

“You better not. So, what are you doing here then?” inquired Dash.

“Umm... I was just enjoying a day off. I have to travel to Canterlot tomorrow, so I decided to take a break.”

“Alright. I have stuff to take care of, see you around.“ Rainbow Dash flew off.

“That was one of the hardest thing I've ever done,” Twilight said to herself, trotting to her home.

Spike was waiting for her.

“Where have you been all day?” Spike asked.

Twilight didn’t answer, she just approached him, placed both hooves on his shoulders, and wrapped around him in a tight and loving hug.

“You are the best assistant anypony could ask for,” her voice almost faltered. Almost.

Spike looked at her, confused. She had a big smile and a small tear in one eye. He knew it was better not to ask and just return the hug.

“Thank you, Twilight. I'm glad to be here with you,” he said.

Twilight trotted upstairs and decided to pack some stuff in a saddlebag for the trip in the morning.

She also grabbed her pills and swallowed some. “Everything should be ok,” she muttered.

She finished packing, called Spike, and prepared their beds.

Spike looked worried, but chose not to make a big deal. Twilight looked at him again, tucked him in, and before going to her bed, kissed him gently on the forehead. Twilight climbed into bed, her thoughts in turmoil.

The sun rose, thanks to Celestia. Twilight woke up, feeling the light on her face. She stood up and decide not to wake up Spike, she only leaves a note saying he should go and help Rarity on whatever she could need.

That should keep him busy

Later, at the train station, she had an awful thought. Could this be the last time I see my family?

She thought about how everything was doomed, that she wouldn't be able to see her friends, her loving brother, her parents or Princess Celestia, the one pony that saw her potential and the one who sent her to Ponyville, where she found the magic of friendship.

She felt like she was betraying her friends by not telling them, but she knew it was for the best.

She looked around the station, hoping for a distraction. Ponies waiting for the train greeted her eyes. Glancing towards the ticket office, a pony caught her eye. The same pony that delivered doctor’s message for her.

Her eyes widened as numerous images passed through her head, images of that same pony,but as a little colt. A smile formed on her face.

She trotted to him, a conversation with him could drive her mind away from that horrible truth... Or at the very least, distract her a little.

“Hello Dark,” she approach to him.

“Uh... I'm sorry?”

“Yeah, I remember you now. I mean it’s been years, but I even remembered your nickname!” she said, smiling at him.

“Wait, Twilight? It has been years! Wow, that’s weird. And I prefer my real name now. I’m not a colt anymore.” He answered, looking at her in an odd way. “Do you remember my real name?”

“Of course. Brave. So, where are you going ?” Twilight asked.

“I’m going back home to Canterlot, I was in Ponyville only to visit my uncle, Dr Stable, and my cousin.” He explained.

“I’m going to Canterlot too, to visit my family. How about we ride together?”

“Hmm, I guess we could,” he replied with a slight grin.

The train arrived, Twilight and Brave sat down in front of each other. Brave grabbed a bag and placed it in the table.

“I have some cookies, and a couple juice boxes” said opening the bag. “Want some?”

“Sure!” He handed her a box and they start eating.

“You know, I’ve always love sweets and cookies; never leave home without some. That's my motto.” he said.

“Good, some sugar will help me out,” Twilight nodded as she ate another.

“Yeah, everything is easier if you have chocolate chips cookies.“ He stopped and stared at her with a weird look on his eyes.

“Sooo… Why are you even talking to me?” He asked. Twilight frowned and lost her smile.

“I-I’m … Excuse me?”

“I mean, don’t take it the wrong way, it’s just that when I was a little colt, I was lucky to get a couple of words out of you. It got worse after you got into the School for Gifted Unicorns,” he explained. “It’s just weird. You, a pony that only cared about books and magic-“

Twilight interrupted him. “I know, and I am sorry. I wasn’t really very good at making friends. Or social interactions in general.”

“You seem like a new pony now,” he said.

“And I am. I wish I could tell you all about it. Long story short, I moved to Ponyville and learned what friendship was. Now I have a bunch of friends… Again, I’m sorry. I think we could have been good friends,” she said.

“Oh, I see. That’s good for you,” he smiled.

The two talked until the train arrived at their destination. They separate and went their own ways.

“Good to see you Twilight,” said Brave, “We should talk again sometime.”

“Yeah, that would be nice,” she said with a sad face, knowing full well that she might not make it to that other time.

Soon enough, she was on the familiar road that lead to home. Her home. She shed a couple of tears while looking at the door. She put her hoof on the door, about to knock as hundreds of images ran through her mind. She remembered her parents who loved her so much, enough to let her be away from them at a young age, to fulfill her dreams.

She thought about her brother, who was always there for her, who she missed more than anyone else. She hadn't told them about her visit. She inhaled deeply and exhaled, getting ready for the obvious results. Her mother would cry her eyes out, her father would remain calm but sad. Her brother will try not to cry but he would eventually lose his strength.

She felt her throat close as she tried to knock on the door. She cried silently, trying to calm down. Finally she knocked three times and waited. A voice was heard.

“Oh my! Twilight Sparkle, finally coming to visit her family!” Said excited Velvet.

“Hi, Mom. I'm sorry to not visit you often enough,” Sparkle said.

“What … Twilly , have you been... crying?” Asked her worried mother.

“Mom, I… I need to tell you something,” she jumped to her mother and held her in her hooves. Unable to keep calm anymore, she burst out crying.

Velvet tried to calm her daughter, patting her mane and kissing her forehead.

“There, there my little pony. What's wrong? Is it some mean stallion?” Velvet asked, not expecting what was happening to her daughter.

. “Mom, where is Dad? I need him here, and Shining too,” Sparkle said when she calmed down.

Velvet didn’t answer, just nodded and went to get her husband. She also cast a spell to send a letter to Shining Armor, telling him he needed to come home immediately.

They sat on the couch in the living room without saying a word, waiting for the rest of the family. Shining Armor and Night Light were there in minutes, worried, unaware of what was happening.

“Cadence said she was worried about you Twilly …” Shining Armor said.

“I know, and I'll be meeting with the princesses later to explain to them,” Twilight said while trying to keep steady. Her father wasted no time and held his daughter in his hooves.

“I know something bad is going on my little filly. Come on, what's going on?”

“I have to tell you all something, because you are my family and I need all your support at the moment,” she could feel her heart beating like drums. “It started a few days ago…”

Author's Note:

UPDATED: edited