• Published 7th Jun 2014
  • 546 Views, 2 Comments

Transparent Redemption. - TehWriter



After a failed world invasion, the changelings invade Canterlot. Failing to capture it, Princess Celestia and the world decides their fate.

  • ...
1
 2
 546

A stallion of many words.

A stallion of many words


Morning. It was like every other morning to me. Raising the sun, eating the generic yet overly exaggerated and complicated breakfast from which I said to myself I would change it. Yes, it had all a mare could wish for breakfast, but it becomes annoying trying to eat something that looks so well made every day. I think it kind of wastes effort, but it hones decoration skills, so I guess it's a trade off. But let's be honest: I can promise you they make everything look sophisticated. One day, I will ask once a simple bowl of cereals and see what they can come up with. ...maybe cereals will be aligned to look like a flower or something...Then, I had to look presentable. The battle between my mane and the comb will never cease to exist. It's like cleaning a flag while waving, but a lot wavier, which in turn makes it harder. And then I did the rest of the things a princess has to do to look like the princess she has to look.

After doing my things in the bathroom, I put my regalia on. The crown rested on my head gently and fixated itself under my ears, as the decorated necklace felt more like an armor rather than a decoration. I put my golden shoes protecting my hooves from the ground, making my walking more audible. Some say it's a burden having to wear this daily. And I can't argue it's not. The necklace is somewhat heavy and it's stuck to my chest in a freaky attempt to merge with me. The shoes were comfortable, but that doesn't change the fact that the whole hallway AND the ones next to it knew I was there. And the crown was always on my head. Always. Do you know how annoying that can get sometimes? It's like a hat that you want to get off but can't get off. Letting alone that the crown has its moments when it wants to fall off my head. It never happened, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. If want to fly or not be a walking wall or tower to my subjects at times. I have to keep my head as straight as possible. But one thing is clear: without them, I don't feel like am a princess when I should feel. What you wear helps a lot to put you 'in the mood' for working. The regalia, while having its burdens, is an invaluable 'companion' for my everyday affairs and duties. Ha, a pun: the regalia is actually invaluable.

With that out of the way, I had two hours sharp to talk to my delegates. Because otherwise, I would be late for my duties. Luckily, the royal castle was the hub of all political actions in Equestria. That made it easier for me to reach whatever or whomever whenever I wanted to, as the farthest thing was the royal post office right at the gate. I left my bedroom after making my bed look normal, before the housekeepers entered. My destination was clear: the Delegates Office. I left the chambers and saw the rays of light piercing through the windows as the sound of my hooves echoed in the hallway. Occasional guards and housekeepers saluted me and I nodded back with a smile; saying "Good morning!" at those who said "Good morning." Got to maintain a presence and reputation, after all.

Outside seemed just like any other summer day: hot, cloudless and a burning sun. But the heat never bothered me anyway. Birds were chirping happily, signalling that it's morning; but my hooves were still louder. Overall, It was a pleasant day. Maybe I will do a walk in the pa- oh, wait. I have duties. Right. Anyhow, I will find some time today.

I walked for a few minutes and finally arrived at the Delegates Office. The name was a metaphor, mind you. The building was huge. And very decorated. It screamed it's importance and might to those watching. The guards opened the door and I entered a white large circular room with three floors. Everything was made of marble. Pillars that sustained the upper floors, decorated as well with elegant golden designs. The room was filled with light and reflections in some cases; light from the windows that faced the outside and the large window in the center of the dome, reflections came from the golden designs certain areas had: the pillars, the stair holders, and other things. There were many ponies, and a lot of chatter.

The secretary was right in front of me. At its sides, curved stairs that led to the second floor descended around the office. A large, curved, well made, wooden, desk in the shape of the half of the circle, having my and Lunas cutie marks in the front. A small exit on my right was seen. Behind the secretary, at the right side, there was a flag that stretched to the ground with my cutie mark. And one on the left with Lunas cutie mark. If I remembered correctly, there were three mares that acted as secretaries. But at this time, there was only one. A cyan pegasus mare with golden hair stood there absorbed in some papers. She didn't notice me.

I stepped casually into the building and traversed the room until I reached the secretary. When I reached her, I noticed the shadow of my head being casted over her. She turned to me to begin speaking, but then she was caught off guard when she tried to talk my necklace. Gulping silently, she raised her head and she met my face. I smiled warmly nonetheless. Then she smiled like a child and began talking.

"Good morning, Your Majesty! It's such a great honour to see you here. How may I help you today?" Her welcoming voice entered my ears.

I smiled and looked at her name tag. "Well, Fresh Air, I would like you to help me see the Noble Heart, the veteran diplomat." I responded.

She nodded as she checked her papers. I looked around, the whole place looked quite populated. Groups of ponies talking, laughing and chatting. All of them had a role here. Some were diplomats, others were assistants or wives, while others were the cleaning crew. Guards were scattered around the place. Not too few to make it feel like this place was a private villa, not to many to make it look like this was my stereotyped mansion. And I couldn't help but notice how separated those ponies were. Diplomats with diplomats, cleaners with cleaners, mares with mares, stallions with stallions. There was an overall atmosphere of agitation. Something stirred them up. And something tells me that Luna had something to do with it.

"Your Majesty?" Fresh Air returned.

I turned my head to look her. "Yes?"

"Mr. Noble Heart is in his private office on the third floor. Number 304." She answered.

"Thank you, Fresh Air, and have a nice day!" I answered smiling as I left for his office.

I could hear a "You too, Your Highness!" but the chatter was loud enough for me not to catch it clearly. Nonetheless, I left for Noble Hearts office. The faster I finish this, the more time I have to make my walk in the park. But then again, there is no way I am rushing this discussion. Jokes aside, this isn't your everyday World Congress. You know this, they know this, he will know this. It's far more than a simple 'extraordinary' session.

And I knew this perfectly.

***

'Three hundred two... three hundred three... three hundred four!' I stopped in the front of the door after walking 2 floors. A golden plate had his name engraved right under the number. I knocked at the door and as soon as I heard "Come in!" I entered.

And there he was: Noble Heart. His blue eyes and his welcoming smile could be seen even from behind his office, the well-groomed grey coat may send some unintended messages, but they were soon fledged away by the incredibly elegant and expensive suit and his permanently styled black mane that rivals Bluebloods own mane and quality of maintenance.

"Your Majesty!" He said in his deep voice, obviously caught off-guard. He got down quickly from his desk and bowed. "It is the most privileged honor for me to receive a visit from the princess herself. How may I help you today, Your Highness?" He ended raising his head, the warm smile formed on his lips along with some of the most welcoming eyes I saw today. His discrete and subtle aura entered my nostrils; giving me a sense of elegance a mare would fall in love with regardless.

I nodded. "Good morning, Noble Heart. I need to speak with you regarding a diplomatic mission."

He raised eagerly and wasted no time responding. "But of course! Please, take a seat and make yourself comfortable while I prepare some tea." I nodded again as I walked to one of the chairs. Noble Heart took the pillows from the chairs and put them on the floor so that I can sit, because the chairs were too small. Then, he walked to the left of the room to prepare the tea, while I looked at his office, waiting patiently.

Large, red, folded curtains, each of the sides of the big window that revealed a beautiful scenery of Canterlot beyond the royal gates. At the right, a huge bookshelf filled with books covered the wall, a contrast of colours could be seen: green, red, blue, brown and many others. All had a name on them, but I needn't to see; because I knew most of the books were either works of fiction, guides, classics, or political books. Twilight could use some of these sometime. At my left, where Noble Heart resided making the tea, the wall had a red trim with some white decorations that represented aspects from nature: twigs and leaves stretching and making curves. There was also the dominating, pure white symbol of Equestria, with two golden olive branches that started under it, and stretched to its sides. His desk was extremely well organised and clean. Papers in their places at the right of the desk, a lamp, and the middle being a free space. At the left there was nothing. It was so clean I could see my face on it. It was as if the dust avoided the desk. Hopefully my mane will do the same.

I heard the careful sound of the teacups resting on plates. He turned around levitating a fine metal tray that held two teacups, some cookies and a teapot. Putting them carefully on the left side of his desk, he proceeded taking a seat on his large chair. If I wouldn't know any better, this would make him feel alright. But instead, I knew that this frustrated him greatly. I mean, I am the princess and I am sitting on the ground on some pillows and he is sitting on a large chair that looked far more comfortable than my cushions. But I reassured him when I looked with warm eyes.

He wasted no time. Putting the tea into the teacups, he asked. "What is the diplomatic mission you wish for me to attend?" He asked, putting the teapot in its place, taking a sip and his eyes waiting eagerly yet calmly for the response.

"You will not attend this mission alone. I will need you to attend with me and a group of our finest delegates and special session of the World Congress." I responded as I took a cup and sipped some tea as well.

"I understand Your Majesty, and what is the purpose of this special session?" Noticing his tone but not only, his face changed rather quickly to a serious one. Understandably, he knew the latitude of the situation. The World Congress didn't have a special session for few decades.

I gave him the invitation instead of answering. The letter knew how to explain better and without exposing my feelings to him. Diplomat or not, he was still one of my subjects. He unfolded it and as he read it, he nodded. I took a few more sips from the tea during his reading. Sometimes he nodded, sometimes he smiled, sometimes he chuckled. Finally, he answered.

"I wonder, is this an act of proposed savagery, of collective self-defense or an act of kindness?"

Needn't for me to respond. Noble Heart is a veteran diplomat. He saw many things in his life. He came to have some degree of understanding how the world works in the long run. Sadly, it only some degree. Because of this, supposed long term aims such as the reasons why the World Congress has a special session were hard to discern. And I don't blame him; there were at least three different reasons why they wanted the changelings gone. And many other possible ones.

"Do you understand the importance of this task?" I asked blankly.

"Yes, Your Majesty. I will recruit the group of elite delegates at once and ensure the preparations, such as transportation and and the details of the mission are taken care of. Is there a special criteria you wish to add when I choose the delegates?"

I thought about it. I, myself, had no real idea if the changelings were supposed to die or not. And I couldn't live with the idea of killing something, letting alone if it was innocent. Therefore, other than the default 'top of the class' criteria Noble Heart knew about, there was one more thing I wanted to add. A bit hard, but I am confident he will pull it off.

"Flexibility"

He raised his eyebrows in surprise but nodded nonetheless. "I understand. I will begin preparations immediately."

"One more thing, Noble Heart." I interrupted my dear diplomat with casualty.

"Yes, Your Majesty?" He asked warmly.

I stood in silence. My answer was on a different letter. So I gave him the letter. He opened it and read it. And I could see just how fast his remaining eagerness dissolved into even more seriousness. He looked at me and slowly nodded. He then took a feather pen with his magic, and stopped when he touched the paper. I nodded and he started writing on it. Then he gave me the paper.

'Your special request will be carried out secretly and without compromises. I will send you a letter regarding all the details; transportation, the ponies involved and their backgrounds, as soon as possible.' I smiled and nodded. He responded with a warm smile again, seeing that I am satisfied.

"We will be in touch, Noble Heart." I said as I rose from my cushions.

"Of course, Your Majesty." He responded as he bowed and I left his office.

As I walked, memories of him in his first days of his diplomatic career flashed in my mind. Young, eager and with high hopes, he was always ready for the next mission that will come at him. There was nothing that could stop him. Too bad that the future was not so kind with him. You see, his career started during a time of global peace and prosperity, a time when everyone was supposed to work with everyone for the betterment of everyone. He believed that he can take part in this; to make the world a better place using the power of a special, less personal kind of friendship.

If only that period lasted more than two months since his first mission. After that time, signs of tyrants rising to power showed up. Not as cruel or barbaric as King Sombra, but as greedy and cunning as Queen Chrysalis. They were, or in some cases are, the more 'official' version the queen. Countries formed alliances, broke trade agreements and started gathering armies and researching new technologies that would ensure victory. I think you know where this is going.

However, Equestria did not stay still, but it laid low. Ponies like Noble Heart were more valuable than they imagined during that time. They were the forgers of the shield that later protected us. They were harnessing the power of friendship. Not the magic of friendship, but the power friendship. I was far too concerned about the world to know how Noble Heart was doing back then. Sadly, during that period, he was nothing but an inexperienced diplomat to me, and in some cases a liability. He learned more from other diplomats when I assigned them in teams to create secret alliances.

I rarely left the country during that period too. Luna was not there, and Equestria was not strong enough to protect itself from the rising powers. There weren't any functioning elements of harmony during that period as well. Because we laid low, the military was growing at a restrained level; should our newly temperamental neighbors see us grow our military power, they would react politically, and add a heck of a lot pressure and even spies. On a rare occasion, I left Equestria with Noble Heart and a couple of others diplomats. When we were about to form our own international alliance. There, Noble Heart proved his worth. The way he handled the situation impressed me greatly for a supposed beginner. Serious and collected, he conducted the meeting shoulder to shoulder with me. And so, I started sending him on missions as an ambassador. Now, he leads delegations or is an ambassador from time to time. One of his superiors once commented after a mission: 'He is a stallion of many words, not only because he flatters too much or because his wannabe complex vocabulary forces him to talk too much; but also because the words he say value more than the common sentences you say every day.'

Those were some times I wish not to live in again. Anyhow, what was the time? I lost track of it. I looked at a random clock on the main hallway, while on my way to the royal chambers. I still had time to reach the chambers. One hour and a few minutes. I think I even have time for my walk in the park. Enjoyment started to build up as I realized I have the time to enjoy the day. Then one final thought hit me.

'Oh, I cannot believe that the griffins host the World Congress. Quite... engaging, isn't it?' I giggled at the thought as I remembered the letter I gave Noble heart earlier. And that just tells me;

Some sightseeing never hurt anypony, after all.

Author's Note:

Here is the story of this chapter: I initially wanted to make a big, fat chapter of OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAND words.
...
Actually it was around six or seven or even eight thousand. (NEVERMIND THAT!)
But then I decided to split it in half.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed this little chapter and as usual: Opinions and comments are always welcomed and appreciated!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment