• Published 7th Jun 2014
  • 546 Views, 2 Comments

Transparent Redemption. - TehWriter



After a failed world invasion, the changelings invade Canterlot. Failing to capture it, Princess Celestia and the world decides their fate.

  • ...
1
 2
 546

Justified Revenge.

Justified Revenge


On a sunny day, when peace settled in Canterlot and Equestria as a whole; I stood on my throne ready and somewhat eager to finish today's royal court duties. Not that I had a distaste or discomfort listening to my subjects and offering them the help only royalty can provide. It was not necessarily that I got bored of the seemingly repetitive scenario day after day, month after month, year after year, even decade after decade to my surprise. You know, same room, same 'statue' guards, same decorations, sometimes even the same requests from my subjects. It wasn't even the fact that I had to sit on this pillow so much that I think flattened the poor thing on a daily basis. It was something else. I wanted today's court duties to end because of the recent changeling attack.

It happened two weeks ago. During the wedding of the captain, Shining Armor, and my niece, Princess Cadence. I will not go into many details. There are a few things which will stick in my mind for a very long period of time, though: the fact that the Queen defeated me and the other fact that Canterlot almost fell and my subjects would become buffet for those love-sucking creatures. The latter angered me the more I thought about it. Like throwing wood to the fire that would simply not go off.

Sadly, that fire was not mine only. It was spread in the heart of every single pony that came in my court today. And there were many. Too many. I can understand that. I, too, cannot say that they do not deserve to be punished. But I believe they received their punishment. Being both you and your army thrown hundreds of miles away at the pretty high altitude hurts a lot, you know? Possibly even fatal. I shivered at the thought. Whatever the action is; death is never an answer. Never. I never killed anybody. I never intended to. I never thought to. I will never have to. Judging that I am an alicorn and that I can send evildoers like Tirek to Tartarus, the possibility of killing never occurred to me. Despite that I am aware of what it means to kill and the not only lawful but especially moral consequences. Would you take ones life even when there are a million of other ways, far more fit to resolve a threat? I know I won't.

Yet, my subjects think the other way. They want vengeance. Many pleaded for my forces to create hunting parties and eliminate the Changelings once and for all. Some even argued using economic facts, military arguments and even mathematical calculations. Some almost convinced me to do it. Almost. At the end of the day, I turned them all down. Some I turned them down easily, others with a heavy heart. Such as one pony who traveled all the way from Manehattan to convince me to eliminate the changelings because 'their insectile nature will allow them to multiply and attack again more fiercely.' It was an argument that stretched its 15 minutes to its limits. It was for the good of Equestria, as he covered. I was aware of all the efforts he put into trying to get to me. The one who came had made efforts in vain, sadly. As for the property lost, there was the mutual effort me and my sister are putting in cooperation with the private companies to reconstruct Canterlot and recover the damage made. Fortunately, no deaths were reported.

As the silence in the throne room was settling in, the time for my royal duty to the court for the day was almost over. But that almost was all that was needed. A guard entered the room with the determined look to talk to me. I maintained my composure, paying close attention to the guard as he got closer. He ultimately got as close as he could and bowed.

"We received a letter from the Gryphon Empire, Your Highness." The guard spoke taking his helmet down and bowing.

"Very well. Let me see it." I responded blankly.

The guard gave me the scroll and I dismissed him. The scroll seemed to be quite decorated. Ribbons, elegant designs at the edge of the paper and even a golden seal. It's not in the style of the griffin to send such scrolls around. Unless it's an invitation to some overly formal and distinctively boring gala. Let's not bring our gala to the discussion, theirs is worse. Anyhow, I opened the seal and the scroll revealed it's excessive decorum and content. Yet as I read it, it all made sense, and I was right to have such decorations. They were obliged to send these scrolls. This wasn't an ordinary scroll. This was indeed an invitation, but not to a gala. But to the World Congress. An 'extraordinary' session to be exact. It was easy to understand that. Not only because of the decorum, but because of the layout of the text. It was pretty common for this kind of letters to have a specific layout. Something like an unwritten law.

'So, in theory the subjects of the congress should be... here.' I thought as I skimmed through the formalities and went straight for the content. There was but one subject: Changelings. Namely, what is the world going to do with them? I was genuinely surprised and slightly disturbed because they actually considered scrambling the leaders of the world to come down to an extraordinary session to agree on what is going to happen to them. And this just begs the question: How bad was the rest of the world attacked?

You see, the world is not wise enough nor kind enough as my little ponies should be. There had to be reason for this sudden session. Equestria, world leader itself in exports of agricultural products, metals of all kinds and with an influential culture, was not in danger and it certainly did not get so damaged that the rest of the world kept an eye on us, ready to help us help themselves. Not even Canterlot was that damaged for this to happen. The changeling attack could not have scared the rest of the world that badly either. They are not fools, they know how to play war games. Some even better that us. The only reason why this congress could be made is if the problem was wider than Equestria. Therefore, we couldn't be the only ones who were attacked.

'Us, the Griphon Empire, Saddle Arabia, and many more. What have they done?' I asked myself, a slight sensation of worry starting to build up. Those changelings actually made enough noise to derange the world leaders.

And then I noticed the time. The time for my duties has ended. I kept the scroll, dismissed the guards and started walking slowly to my room. I couldn't let any of my subjects see what I saw. Don't get me wrong; they cannot and will not see the scroll. But they can see my face. And the face can be the only hint somebody needs to understand how somebody can feel. Adding the invitation to the equation, if my composure is 'scratched', my subjects will worry. And knowing my reputation, that would be an alarm signal. How would you feel if your greatest idol that inspires you daily is suddenly deranged or sad?

My usual greetings and smiles were handled like warm and soft bread to cold and hungry ponies. And before I knew it, I was at the door of my private chambers. Two armored unicorns were protecting the door as usual. I even used them as reference points sometimes. I smiled and greeted and then I entered my room and locked the door.

But then I was greeted with a sight for sore eyes: my sister, Luna. Yet, she greeted me with eyes that expressed worry.

"Sister, are you alright? I felt disarray, and I was wanted to make sure you are fine." Luna spoke in a slightly alarmed tone.

My sister knew exactly how I felt when there was something bothering me in a particular way. This invitation was no different. Something behind my mind wanted me to hesitate the question, but I couldn't quite figure out what. And there was no reason to try and lie. Not that I even intended to. Sometimes, advice from family is more valuable than the advice of one hundred strangers. Also, I could speak freely to her. And that is very important.

"I am fine, Luna. But I am afraid I received an invitation that I'd rather not receive."

"And what invitation is that? Another gala?" Luna asked curiously and dumbfounded.

"Sadly, I wished it was that. Instead, we were invited to this." I levitated the scroll to Luna. Luna took it with her own magic and unfurled it. It took her one minute to change her expression from worry to contempt. I waited silently for her to respond.

"My dear sister. I cannot believe such thing." Luna shook and her eyes closed.

"I am afraid such thing happened. The changelings, despite my belief, plagued other nations and as such, they wish for an international meeting in the capital of the griffins." I summarized.

But Luna shook her head again, her eyes cold. "No, sister. This is not what causes disbelief to me."

This confused me. And made me look confused. I had no composure in front of Luna though. That would be ridiculous. I stood silent and let her continue.

"What causes disbelief is that this is the reason why you are worried." She stated with now disappointed eyes. A spark of anger could be seen.

What she said; came down like a thunder to my heart. It stroke so hard that all I could say is "Luna... Why?"

Luna turned around and walked on the balcony. I followed and she continued. "My sister. Those are the ones who invaded our land, infiltrated the wedding and terrorized our subjects. I know what the population wants. They want revenge. And I know deep down you want that as well. Whether you have fulfilled your desire of revenge is something only you can know. But I know that Equestria did not. And it will not, unless we satisfy their demand."

Now I understand why I wanted to hesitate the question. I was afraid of this. My sister was always more militaristic. Always wanting to use some degree of force to eliminate a threat. I still remember her face when I told her about the changeling invasion. She was angry. At the changelings, and at me. Because I did not call for her during the emergency. And I do not blame her. She is a 'mare of action' of the sort. But even if I could call for help, I wouldn't. I would rather have her safe. Especially if there was Twilight and her friends and Cadence there. I was aware of what true love could do. Risking to call my sister for help would only put her in danger. And now? Now she wants to destroy the changelings because of what they did to Canterlot. And what they did to me, I guess. I knew exactly what she was going to propose; I heard it countless times today after all.

"Luna. I understand the cry for vengeance. But haven't we received it? They were thrown out of Canterlot straight into the wasteland with astonishing speed and altitude. Such power can kill them on the spot if they touch the ground." I argued.

"I understand that. But equally, they may have survived. They are changelings, Tia. They could have simply change form into something that could resist the impact. We know too little about their kind to rule this option out. Among other reasons, if you received this invitation, then I believe quite strongly that the World Congress will agree with my approach." Luna countered calmly.

"I understand that. Yet don't think that those changelings may have not had another option? Perhaps they were starving or running desperately low on food. We have seen such cases before, Luna. A nation-"

"But they are not a nation, sister. They are a hive.Beasts. From what you told me, they wanted to take over Canterlot and then Equestria. That does not sound as an act of despair to me. It sounds like an act of greed." Luna cut off sharply.

"Could be. But now that they are pacified, we can resolve the issue without appealing to military intervention. I know that there is a better way of resolving this issue. War is never an option. Neither is killing, Luna." I spoke back, in a tone firmer that I intended.

Luna looked at me with a mixture of anger, disappointment and... sadness? "Tia. Ponies died."

She then showed me the report. The cold evidence that I had to read to believe.My eyes widened. The shocked looked on my face greeted Lunas now justified feelings. "Twenty ponies died. Other tens were gravely wounded. Dozens are missing. They killed our some subjects, sister. Innocents, Tia. For their own needs and wants. How is that not a reason for revenge? They kill and we let them go away just like that?!" Lunas voice started to grow louder and louder. She was moved by this.

But not as moved as I was. Ponies died. They died because of their invasion. And because I could not protect them. I sat down and looked at my hooves, eyes closing. How could this happen? The increase in military. The shield. The safety measures. The social security. The guards. Everything was destined to protect them from this. And still, there was bloodshed. Innocent pony blood splattered on the innocent pony streets of the innocent pony capital. Now, everything made sense. Those ponies wanted revenge not only because their valuables and lives were at stake. But because some lost their loved ones. Others lost their homes or other property. They were scared of this happening again.

"Sister?"

My duty was to protect them. And I failed them.

"Sister?"

Those creatures. They killed my subjects. "For their own needs and wants." Could that be true? Was there really no other reason?

"Sister!"

How could I let this happen...?

"TIA!"

"WHAT?!" I snapped unintentionally at my sister, who looked at me with widened eyes. My eyes grew wider and I put my hooves to my mouth. I cannot believe I just yelled at her... Then, she hugged me tightly.

"It's alright, my dear sister. Don't worry. We will get to the bottom of this. We can't change the past. I understand your belief of second chance to everyone. And I agree with it wholeheartedly. But sister, please, monsters don't deserve a second chance. Our subjects have to know that they can be safe again and that their loved ones can rest in peace. Our subjects want this. Our subjects need this. I'm sorry, Tia. I promise I will stand by your side." Then after what seemed like an eternity, Luna finally released me.

The sun touched the horizon, ready to be pulled down by me. The light was strong, highlighting the beautiful landscape. Ponyville down the mountain with the neighboring forest filled with the mysteries of our past. In the sky, Cloudsdale shining proudly below the little village. And Canterlot; even with its scars and wounds, it still stood tall and proud aside its smaller companions. I turned my head to look at my little ponies on the capital streets. They looked calm, some were even happy. Not as before, but still happy. Others were watching what the guards were doing through some ruins. The same thing with the construction sites, but more populated by fillies. I smiled knowing that they are happy and I turned my head again, back at the landscape. My eyes flickering to catch as much as possible from it. The sun shined brighter than ever. A slight breeze started to caress my body from the right, as my mane still flowed with no remorse. I thought about what Luna said. Every single word. And suddenly, I felt a rush of determination. A special kind of determination. One that I did not feel since the second apparent victory of Discord and the supposed downfall of Equestria. Lunas words did more than comfort me. They enlightened me. I smiled openly and Luna responded by smiling back.

"We cannot change the past. But we can change the future, my dear sister." I stated while staring at the bright horizon, with an occasional glance at her.

"What do you mean?" Luna asked.

"They have attacked us. I can guarantee you I will make sure that will not happen again. Equally, we cannot clearly understand why they invaded us. But we will not stop at the easiest option. We, whom have faced larger threats and suffered far more than we did now, will strive not only for the revenge we demand. But for the truth we need. An act of greed can very easily be confused with an act of desperate need. Just as the demand for revenge is the twin brother of the demand for justice. Yes, I did seek revenge. A fire that consumed my heart and my very mind. A fire that promised me satisfaction that I might or might not have been satisfied with. That, is but a fraction of the past now. Those who seek revenge seek the cursed riches of their own hearts." I explained.

As my sister remained silent, I continued. "What I see are not those riches anymore. What I seek is the betterment of our kind. I seek not revenge, but justice. But this justice is hidden behind an impenetrable door with the only key not being in our possession. The truth. For us to understand whether they deserve to disappear from the face of this planet or not, we need that key. And that key will lead us to what we truly need. Do we truly, deep down in our warm hearts, wish to destroy those whom may have had no other choice but to attack us so that they kind will survive? How is that going to separate us from them? I have learned, my sister, that in the process of seeking revenge, dig two graves: one for your victim, and one for yourself." I finished smiling. The sun shining brightly still.

Luna sat there, and I left the words to sink in.She looked at the horizon as she thought about it. The breeze being louder than our silence. I closed my eyes and focused on the sun. I moved it below the horizon and my sister raised the moon immediately afterwards. The silence was still present. Yet, after a couple of minutes after the raising, she turned her head to me and smiled. Her eyes showing pride.

"I trust you, Tia. I know you will take the right decision. Despite the darkest appearances, your light always shines the way. Never before it happened differently, and never will it happen differently. Good luck, Tia. I will support you from home from the bottom of my heart." She responded, hugging me and left to fulfill her duties.

The meeting was in two days. Enough for what I needed to do to prepare the delegates. It went without word that I would lead the delegation. There was no national emergency, and my sister still needed to learn today's international politics. One thousand year difference... Also, somepony had to rule Equestria while I was away. I stood on my balcony, watching and observing how the cities turned into focused collection of lights, with Cloudsdale blending with the night sky and the stars almost perfectly. The breeze changed direction. I felt it beating from the back, as if someone in my room tried to push me. I turned my head and saw nopony in the room. The fireplace was lit and some of the light rested on a two pictures. One was a normal photo of my sister. The other was a painting. A painting with our parents. I turned my head to the landscape again. The more I looked and the more I thought the more excitement was building in me alongside with inspiration and hope. I was not only going to a session of the World Congress. No, I was embarking on a quest.

A Quest for Justice. A Quest for Peace.

Author's Note:

Opinions? Comments?
All are accepted here, so do give it a try!
...um....that is... if you really want to.....