• Published 6th Apr 2012
  • 17,176 Views, 488 Comments

Twilight the Terrible - RK_Striker_JK_5



During her entrance exam, Twilight's magic goes out of control... and things get worse.

  • ...
39
 488
 17,176

Chapter Six

The first thing they noticed were the clothes.

In their own Ponyville, clothes were mostly an option. During winter or special tasks, the ponies would wear appropriate layers or specialized gear for whatever they had to do. But for the most part, most of them would only have accessories on for fashion.

Here, everypony was swathed in layers. From muzzle to dock, from poll to hoof, almost everyone there was layered up. The few foals that could be seen were little more than irregular spheres of pony wrapped in layers.

Smoke from fires lit for warmth and light stung their eyes and noses, causing more than one of the Bearers to wrinkle their noses or sniff. Pinkie Pie's head reared back and she opened her mouth almost impossibly wide, but only a tiny little “achoo!” came out of her.

Three ponies approached the group. In the middle was Mayor Mare. Except this Mare had a mane of bright-pink hair instead of one dyed gray. She wore a red jacket, tightly buttoned across her barrel. Tan pants and actual boots completed the ensemble of someone quite literally buttoned up against the elements. Her expression was grim, mouth turned down. In place of Pince-nez glasses, she had a pair of goggles strapped over her eyes.

Big Macintosh stood on her left, his harness still around his neck. Compared to most of the other ponies, he was lightly dressed, with 'only' a shirt and pants on. He had no stalk of wheat in his mouth, which was set in a grim line.

Applejack swallowed before ducking her head low, letting the shadows from her hood hide her face.

On Mayor Mare's right was Rarity, or at least this reality's Rarity. Her clothing had a bit of flair to it, a gold stitch here and gemstones for buttons, but the material was dark-colored and otherwise mostly plain. She had a pair of glasses perched at the end of her muzzle. A pair of saddlebags hung across her hips and croup, a trio of diamonds the only adornment on them. A clipboard, quill and inkwell floated in front of her as she took notes.

Rarity suppressed a shiver, but her nose still wrinkled at her doppelganger.

The three dropped to one knee in front of Nightmare Moon and Luna. “We welcome you to Ponyville,” Mayor Mare said, raising her head slightly to look upon the two alicorns and motioning to her left, then right. “My name is Mayor Mare and these are my assistants, Big Macintosh and Rarity Belle. We also apologize for your... 'reception' outside.”

Nightmare Moon stared down her muzzle at the earth pony. “Your apology is accepted, Mayor Mare. These times are difficult for you, with the Tyrant Filly ruling Canterlot.” She raised a foreleg to the sky. “But do not fear! With my counterpart and her Elements of Harmony, we shall bring her down and restore Equestria to what it once was!”

Lightning flashed overhead in the inky-black sky, causing most of the Ponyville residents to look skyward, squinting their eyes against the brightness.

Mayor Mare slowly raised her head and body, keeping her eyes lowered to the dirt. “Thank you, your majesty. We are at your service.”

Nightmare Moon nodded. “Excellent, Mayor Mare.” She raised a foreleg and swept it across. “I wish to know the condition of Ponyville, so that once I reclaim the throne, I may better restore this and other environs.”

Big Macintosh stepped forward. “Beggin' your pardon, your majesty, but I have a question for you.”

Nightmare Moon's eyes narrowed to slits. “Yes, Big Macintosh?”

The stallion trotted forward, right up to Applejack. He held up a hoof almost half the size of Applejack's head and pushed her hood down. “Could you please tell me why my sister's with you? If this even is my sister? Last time I saw her, she was back at Sweet Apple Acres, you see.”

Applejack swallowed and shifted under his even gaze. “Well, you see it's like... oh, horse apples.” She looked around, eyes widening. “Help?”

Rarity Belle blinked. “Oh, my!” her horn glowed and the clipboard, quill and inkwell slid back into her bags. She walked up to Applejack, standing beside Big Mac and about two inches from Applejack's face and looking her over. “You are Applejack!”

Applejack leaned back, darting her head around to keep it away from Rarity Belle. “Hey, personal space!” she shouted, finally reaching up and pushing her away.

Rarity Belle stepped back. “My apologies. But Big Mac's question and line of inquiry still stands unanswered. Are you Applejack Apple?”

There was silence for a few moments before Big Mac spoke up. “If she is, she's not my Applejack. The one back at Sweet Apple Acres ain't spoken like that since before she visited the Orange's in Manehattan.” His eyes narrowed. “So, who are you, Missy?”

Applejack kicked a bit at the dirt, sending up a small dust cloud. “I'm not sure we got time for a story, Big Mac. And where we're from is one hay of a tall tale.” A mild chuckle escaped her. “Shucks, I've lived through it and I'm still not sure how to put it into words. I am Applejack, just not your Applejack. I think.” Her eyes shifted back and forth. “Help?”

Luna raised a hoof, clearing her throat and gaining everyone's attention. “I shall attempt to put this as simply as possible,” she began.

“Good luck with that,” Dash muttered under her breath.

Luna's eyes shifted, but she continued. “As Nightmare Moon stated while we were still outside Ponyville, she sought help from 'across the veil of reality'. We are from another plane of existence, basically.” She looked to Mayor Mare. “For the moment, any more explanations will waste time that clearly cannot afford to be wasted.” She held up a foreleg and extended a hoof to the earth pony. “We offer our help. Will you accept it?”

Nightmare Moon arched an eyebrow at her counterpart, but remained silent for the moment.

Mayor Mare focused on the hoof. She let out a sigh and her head drooped. “At this point, Tirac himself could show up and I'd be mighty tempted to accept any offer of assistance.” She raised a foreleg and tapped it against Luna's. “Thank you.”

Nightmare Moon cleared her throat and 'lightly' tapped the ground, shaking everyone but Luna. “Now then, if the pleasantries are over, I wish to speak with you concerning Ponyville and its status.” Her eyes narrowed slightly. “And then we shall finally be able to deal with the Tyrant Filly in Canterlot.” She stepped forward and looked down her muzzle at Mayor Mare. “Now then, direct Princess Luna and myself to City Hall.”

Luna rolled her eyes before pasting a smile on her face. “Yes, please direct us to City Hall. As my friend here meant to say,” she said before leaning her head forward and looking at Nightmare Moon. “Right?”

Night mare Moon's mane whipped about, but she finally let out a sigh. “Very well. Please direct us to City Hall.”

Mayor Mare bowed her head. “Big Mac, check on the crop forecasts. Rarity, check the defenses,” she said, glancing to the stallion and mare respectively. She looked to Luna and Nightmare Moon. “If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go ahead and prepare myself for the meeting.” She then stepped back and swung around before trotting off.

Nightmare Moon's nostrils flared. Her left eye swiveled and locked onto Luna. “You and your friends will eventually leave this Equestria. I will still be here, though.” She cantered around until she faced Luna. “Do not undermine my authority here. I must lead these ponies when this world's Twilight Sparkle is defeated.”

Luna returned the glare with a calm expression and steady gaze. “I know, which is why I said what I did. Politeness will carry you far, Nightmare Moon. Your subjects are deserving of respect.”

Nightmare Moon stared at Luna for a moment. “That sounds like something...” She shook her head. “Never mind.” She looked past Luna to the other six. “Follow us.”

Luna cleared her throat, drawing Nightmare Moon's smoldering glare beck to her. “What now?!” she growled out, sending Luna's mane whipping about.

Luna blinked and stood there for a moment before speaking. She waved a foreleg at Big Mac and Rarity Belle still standing there. “You and I should be sufficient for the meeting with Mayor Mare. I would suggest that the rest go around Ponyville. They can report back and give you a clearer picture of the situation. They could also help the townsfolk out.”

Big Mac inclined his head in Luna's direction. “That'd be might nice o' you, your majesty.” He looked to Applejack. “Care for an agricultural report at Sweet Apple Acres?”

Applejack gasped. “It's still around?”

The stallion kicked at the ground, dislodging a clod of dirt and sending it flying. “I suppose you could say that.”

Applejack broke from her friends and cantered around to Big Mac's side. “Iffn' you'll excuse me, then,” she said, tilting her head to them.

“Just be careful,” Luna said.

Nightmare Moon fixed a penetrating gaze on Big Mac. “Her safety is your responsibility. Take care of her.”

Big Mac swallowed and bobbed his head. “Ah, yes, your majesty!”

The pair swung around and began trotting off, but a sudden shout halted them in their tracks. “WAIT!” Fluttershy cried out, galloping forward. She skidded to a halt, spreading out her wings as an impromptu air brake. “I want to come, too!”

Applejack and Big Mac exchanged a glance. “Beg your pardon?” Applejack asked.

Fluttershy let out a breath. “I... I need to see how the animals are doing, and if I can help!” she cried out. She panted for a second and looked around. “Please, please? There's got to be something I can do to help them out!”

Applejack's eyes shifted to Big Mac. “Big Mac, do you... recognize Fluttershy at all?”

Big Mac pursed his lips and rubbed his chin with a hoof. He leaned in close to the pegasus, who shrank back into her hood. “Now that you mention it... nope. Sorry, but she doesn't ring any bells.” He looked to Applejack. “Iffn' she's got some counterpart here or whatever, she's not around these here parts.”

Applejack let out a sigh at his pronouncement. “Dang,” she muttered.

Dash flew over to Fluttershy's side. “You gonna be alright going there?” she asked, stroking her friend's back.

“Indeed, darling. There's no need for you to go if you don't want to,” Rarity said.

Fluttershy's body locked up. “No... but I have to do this.” She looked up at Dash and smiled. “Thank you.”

Dash's brow wrinkled. “For what?”

A tiny chuckle emerged from Fluttershy. “Oh, nothing.” She turned back to Twilight, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Luna and Nightmare Moon and waved a hoof. “I'll be okay. I'm with friends, after all.”

The trio trotted off, Applejack and Big Mac shadowing Fluttershy.

Rarity Belle glanced to Rarity. “So, it's about time you stopped hiding yourself,” she said, her horn glowing and shoving the hood covering Rarity's facial features down and away.

Rarity's eyes widened and her jaw dropped. “I beg your pardon!” she exclaimed, her own horn glowing and the hood sliding back up over her head. “It seems manners are one thing we don't have in common.”

Rarity Belle leaned back slightly, looking at her counterpart out of the corner of her eye. “It has nothing to do with 'manners'. Why you were hiding in the first place?”

Rarity chuckled and patted her chest. “It was less hiding and more surprise at being confronted with a double of myself. I wasn't sure on how you'd react.”

There was a pause before Rarity Belle shrugged. “I suppose.” She walked by her double, horn glowing once more and shoving the hood back down. “Then I'm guessing you don't need this anymore?” she said, smirking.

Rarity's own horn glowed and the hood once more covered her head. “To hide myself, no. But considering the awful chill here?” Her whole body shook, sending her cloak flapping about.

Rarity Belle stared down her muzzle at her. “This is nothing compared to winter, darling. I sincerely hope you won't have to experience that.” She glanced to the rest. “Now if you'll excuse me, I have work on the gemstone defenses to do.” She turned, but stopped and looked to Rarity. “Care to help? I don't mean to brag, but it is my best work.”

Rarity's eyes brightened. “I should have known such exquisite work would be my hoofiwork!” She walked over to her counterpart's side. “How did you get so many finely-shaped gems?” she asked, batting her eyelashes.

Rarity Belle leaned back, looking at the others and rolling her eyes behind Rarity's loin before trotting off to the front gate, Rarity following behind. The front gate opened and they exited Ponyville proper.

Nightmare Moon's eyes flicked over to Dash. “Rainbow Dash, I have an assignment for you.” A grunt from Luna and she ground her teeth together. “Could you please do something for me?” She looked to Luna. “Better?”

Luna nodded, a smirk barely formed on her lips. “Much better, Nightmare Moon.”

Dash flew over to Nightmare Moon, stopping and hovering a couple of feet in front of her muzzle. “I need you to do a recon of the surrounding area, paying attention to weather patterns, population distribution and a general feel for the terrain.” Her blue eyes narrowed slightly. “If you find anything troubling or suspicious, do NOT engage. Instead, report back on your findings immediately.”

Dash leaned back slightly. “You seem awfully concerned there with that last part.”

A snort escaped the alicorn. “If you die, any data dies with you. That is all.”

Dash waved a foreleg at her. “Yeah, so much better. I – URK!” She choked out a gasp as a tendril from Nightmare Moon's mane reached out and wrapped around her torso and neck, putting the mildest bit of pressure on them.

The mane pulled Dash right up to the alicorn's muzzle. Her eyes narrowed to mere slits and she growled. “Remember our conversation in the field. You may make me work for it, but in the end it will be your end.”

Nightmare Moon's mane suddenly dissolved, freeing Dash, who flew up and over the alicorn to Luna, Twilight and Pinkie. “Thanks,” she said to Luna as she sailed over her head. She skidded to a stop in midair and turned to glare at Nightmare Moon even as the alicorn turned to face the group. “I'll do this for the ponies here, but not for you,” she said before flying off, a rainbow-colored contrail trailing behind her.

Luna locked eyes onto Nightmare Moon and strode forward, stomping into the ground and leaving hoofprints a few inches deep. “I realize how hard it is to rein in your temper. Believe me, I've been there with Rainbow Dash.” She stopped a few inches from Nightmare Moon's face. “But you will not threaten her or anyone else here again.”

Nightmare Moon held her ground, staring right back at Luna. “She undermined my authority, in front of my future subjects. That can NOT be tolerated. When I retake the throne, I –“

“If,” Luna interjected.

There was a pause from Nightmare Moon before she continued. “When I retake the throne, I must have the respect of those under me. Rainbow Dash was undermining my authority in front of my future subjects.”

Luna snorted. “You won't have their respect, but their fear. And I will not replace one tyrant on the throne with another. The ponies here have suffered enough.”

Nightmare Moon growled. “And I will end their suffering with a firm hoof and the guidance they'll need to emerge from this time of strife. I will do right by them, but I need them to respect and follow my lead. And I cannot do that when I have that upstart featherbrain mocking me in front of my subjects!” She turned on a hoof, muzzle jutting into the air. “Now then, I believe Mayor Mare is waiting for us?” She strode off.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Well, that was almost polite of her!”

Luna let out a chuckle. “It's a start, at least.” Her expression hardened. “But this version of me still has a long way to go and many lessons to learn before I feel better about her taking power.” Luna took a step forward, but quickly stopped. Her ears twitched. “Do you hear that?”

Twilight blinked. “Hear... what?”

Nightmare Moon swiveled her head around and peered at Pinkie Pie from over her shoulder. “Precisely. The pink one is not droning or chattering like she normally does.” She walked up to the eerily still pink party pony and gently nudged her with a hoof, showing no shock as 'Pinkie Pie' collapsed into a full-sized, empty costume. “Of course,” she deadpanned.

Twilight smacked her forehead while Luna looked the costume over. “When did she do this?” the alicorn wondered out loud. She looked the costume over, quickly levitating a note clipped to the forehead up to her. “'I am going to see the Cakes at Sugarcube Corner. I know they're not my Cakes but they're still Cakes. And I have to make sure they're alright! I'll meet you in an hour, and that's a Pinkie Promise!'” She folded the letter and placed it back on the costume. “Well, that settles that.” She looked to Nightmare Moon. “To City Hall?”

Nightmare Moon eyed Luna. “And if she doesn't show up?”

Twilight spoke up. “Pinkie Pie made a promise, and she always keeps her promises, no matter what. She believes that the breaking a promise is one of the fastest ways of losing a friendship.”

Pinkie Pie's voice suddenly echoed all around the mostly-empty streets. “ForEVER!”

Nightmare Moon's right ear twitched. “I see.” She turned around once more. “If that is all, then, we shall be off!” she shouted, marching forth once more.

Twilight cleared her throat, catching Nightmare Moon's attention just after the alicorn passed a side street. “Actually, your highness, if this is like Ponyville in my home reality, then you should've taken that side street. It'll lead right to City Hall.”

Nightmare Moon stopped in midstride, turning and cantering off down towards the side street. A mumbled 'Thank you,’ could be heard before she disappeared from view.

Twilight rolled her eyes and blew out a breath. “She's got a lot to learn.”

Luna nodded. “But she is beginning to learn. And the hardest lessons are to come.” She glanced at Twilight out of the corner of her eye. “Pinkie Pie will be alright?”

Twilight paused and glanced to the side. “Physically, yes. Mentally and emotionally, I'm not sure. When it comes to the Cakes', Pinkie's a lot more vulnerable than normal. Then again we've got no real idea what life is like for them here.” She looked to her left, spotting a group of ponies huddling around a fire. “Although with all we've seen, I can't imagine it actually pleasant.”

The pair began trotting down the road, taking the left and approaching a somewhat dilapidated building. “I believe Nightmare Moon has taken a step or two in the right direction,” Luna said as they trotted up some creaky steps and passed by a pair of guardponies all bundled up against the cold, “but her next lessons will come very quickly and very harshly indeed.” She glanced to Twilight out of the corner of her eye. “For you see, not all problems can be solved by shouting at them.”


Fluttershy winced with every step, her ears darting back and forth. “More animals here, good,” she said, more to herself than Big Macintosh or Applejack. “Much greater diversity here. The food chain is still linked, here.”

Big Mac raised his head and looked at Applejack over Fluttershy's back. “Is she all right?”

Applejack's head bobbed back and forth. “I think... well, she's better than before. Back in Whitetail Woods she nearly had a good old breakdown.” She glanced to her brother’s counterpart. “That forest has seen better days, mind.”

“Yup.” There was a pause before he continued. “Iffn’ you think we should apologize or somethin’ fer what we’ve done to it, not happenin'. We needed the wood to keep warm. It hurt like the dickens to cut those trees down, but I’d do it again.”

Applejack opened her mouth, but any response died in her throat. She hung her head, letting her hat slide down. “You're right. I ain’t been in your horseshoes, so I can’t say nothin’ ‘bout what you’ve gone through. Hopefully we can help start the healing.”

The three trotted in silence for a bit, crossing a stream and eventually coming upon the gated entrance of Sweet Apple Acres. Applejack let out a gasp as she beheld the apple trees still dotting the landscape, their branches half-bare and very few with apples hanging from them. A few ponies here and there were applebucking the trees, their kicks half-hearted and, in some instances, doing little more than shake the trunks. The main house had seen better days, too. The paint was peeling in more than one spot, and even from this distance missing shutters could be seen. Plumes of smoke rose from behind several hills, causing them to wrinkle their noses.

Big Mac reached over Fluttershy, nudging Applejack as she stood still as a statue, mouth agape. “Applejack? Applejack!”

Applejack blinked and shut her mouth. “Sorry It’s just, I knew it was bad, but seeing it with my own two eyes is somethin’ altogether different!”

They passed through the main gate and past a pair of large, armed and armored earth ponies. Applejack’s eyes drifted to them as they walked. “Expecting trouble?”

“Eyup.”

“Darn.” Applejack muttered as they trotted up to the main house. “I wonder how Apple Bloom’s managing in this,” she wondered out loud.

Big Mac paused at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the porch. “Who?” he asked, arching an eyebrow.

Applejack and Fluttershy both stopped in their tracks, staring at the stallion. “Apple Bloom,” Applejack said. “You know, our baby sister?”

Fluttershy leaned in close to Applejack as Big Mac stood there, staring at them. “Applejack, remember that little talk we had outside of Ponyville about how much things might have changed? I think this might be one of them.”

Applejack cantered around Fluttershy to face Big Mac directly. “Big Macintosh, do you have a younger sister besides me?”

Big Mac slowly shook his head. “Nope.” His head dipped down. “With things how they are, Ma and Pa didn’t feel good with bringin’ another foal into Equestria.” He glanced back up. “Where you come from… we got a baby sister?”

Applejack’s ears folded down against her head. She slumped and kicked at the dirt. “Her name’s Apple Bloom. She’s a rambunctious little bundle o’ energy, but after what happened to Ma and Pa --”

She was cut off as the front door opened and two mares walked out, one after the other and standing side by side on the porch. The first one was the Applejack of this Equestria. Like most everyone else, she was clad in heavy, multilayered clothing that covered almost every inch of her coat. Her mane was done up in a somewhat more complicated style than the simple band that kept Applejack’s mane out of her eyes. She also wore a necklace with an orange-shaped locket as the centerpiece. “Big Macintosh,” she said, eyeing Applejack and Fluttershy, “may I ask who… your friends are?”

Applejack’s jaw dropped. “Well, you see it’s a bit o’ a long story… Applejack.” Her eyes drifted to the other Applejack’s companion and she nickered. “Horse apples!”

The second pony’s lips curled slightly. She was a unicorn mare, a star-spangled cape tied around her neck and a pointy hat perched on her head, covering her horn. “I assume you know me from somewhere?” Trixie Lulamoon observed, focusing on Applejack, then looking to Fluttershy, who ducked her head low.

Applejack let out a sigh. “All right, all right!” She jabbed a hoof at Fluttershy. “This here’s Fluttershy and my name is Applejack. We’re from another dimension or plane of existence or some such thing. You heard of a ruckus at Canterlot?” At their nods she continued. “Well, that was Nightmare Moon and your Twilight Sparkle having a dilly o’ a pickle fighting. Nightmare Moon ripped a hole in reality, came to our Equestria and recruited us to help out.” She let out a sigh. “Now this is where you ask us what the real deal is, right?”

The other Applejack and Trixie exchanged a glance. “No, I believe you,” Applejack said.

Fluttershy gasped. “You do?!”

Trixie chuckled. “A tale like that? Almost too strange to be fiction. I’ve known my Applejack for a few years, and she’s a terrible liar.” She looked to her left and right before trotting down to Fluttershy and leaning in close to her. “She has far too many tells,” she said, winking.

Despite the situation, Fluttershy chuckled. “Oh, yes.” She suddenly swallowed and looked to her Applejack. “Oh, no offense, Applejack! I’m sorry!’ she said, flapping her wings.

Applejack waved her off. “None taken.”

Big Mac cleared his throat. “Applejack -- my Applejack, Mayor Mare sent me to get the crop forecasts.” He leaned forward. “How bad?”

Applejack let out a sigh. “They’re not as bad as I feared, but not as good as I thought.” She waved him up. “Trixie, could you please entertain our guests while Big Macintosh and I talk?”

Fluttershy spoke up as Big Mac walked up the stairs. “Oh, but we’re here to help if we can! Please, there has to be something you need help with!”

Applejack nodded. “Fluttershy’s right. Iffn’ there’s anything we can do to help, we’ll do it.”

A voice from Applejack’s left caught her attention. “Well, that’s mighty grateful of you, missy. Ah guess an Apple’s an Apple, no matter where they come from.”

Applejack slowly looked as a stallion with a light-gray coat and graying mane appeared from around the house’s corner. By his side was a mare with a deep-purple coat and a lighter-shaded mane, although gray had begun to creep in. They walked up to Applejack and Fluttershy. “We heard the whole thing, so no need to repeat yourself,” he said, chuckling. He trailed off. “Ah, are you okay?”

Fluttershy nudged Applejack. “Applejack?”

Applejack’s breath hitched in her throat. “Ma? Pa?”


Rainbow Dash zipped along the battered landscape, head low. “Think she can bully me or anypony,” she muttered. “She’s got a long way to go before she’s ready to rule anything!”

She suddenly stopped, skidding to a halt in midair as a large cloud formation appeared, traveling against the wind and making its way to Ponyville. A few darker shapes could be spotted hovering above it and on the cloud proper. Dash flew back a bit before zooming off back to Ponyville. “This is Not. Good!” she squeaked out.


Commander Dash paced back and forth, the ancient armor of Commander Hurricane rattling about on her. She reached back, grabbed a strap with her teeth and tightened it against her barrel. “Why’d he have to be so bucking big?” she groused. She turned to face her two lieutenants. “Gilda, Lightning Dust, I want this quick and clean,” she said, pacing back and forth in front of the griffin and pegasus. “We go in, grab what we can and haul flank back to Cloudsdale.”

Gilda raised a claw and blew on her razor-sharp talons. “You got it, Dashie.” She looked Commander Dash over, a predatory glint in her eyes. “Any chance for even a tiny bit of fun, though?”

Lightning Dust snorted, her nostrils flaring. “Come on, Gilda. We wanna leave something for the townsfolk to rebuild with.” She looked to Dash, expression becoming serious. “Although we’ll be pretty close to Canterlot and to… her,” she said, kicking at the cloud and sending up wisps.

Dash nodded, her helmet sliding back and forth. “I know, Lightning Dust. That’s why I want it quick.” She looked to Gilda. “Sorry, G, but you’ll have to control yourself this time.”

Gilda groaned, but nodded and tossed Dash an informal salute. “You got it.”

Commander Dash looked back to the ground below as her force moved to their next target. “Good. We’ll get as much as we can and get out before they even know what happened!”

Author's Note:

1. Apologies for the wait.
2. thanks to Masterofgames for the idea about Dash.