• Published 23rd Sep 2014
  • 420 Views, 6 Comments

Furry Contraband: Of Ice and Ivy - UnweptSchlipps



Forced into another journey, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash find out that smuggling weasels is one thing...but working for them is another story entirely.

  • ...
1
 6
 420

A Stone's Throw Away

Flapping her wings, Rainbow Dash leapt up to the first ledge, snugly plopping onto the white snow. “I’ll lead to make sure the ledges are safe,” she called, poking her head over the ledge.

“Uh, I’m kinda not a pegasus…remember?” Ivy replied with raised eyebrows. “How do I get up there?”

“Oh yeah…I dunno, climb I guess?” Dash answered, only half-serious.

Fluttershy stepped forward, saying, “Don’t worry, I can carry you up there.”

“Really? You sure about that?”

“I’ve pulled along a hot air balloon full of our friends. I’m positive I can do this too!”

“Alriiiiight. Come on up then, it’s safe up here.” Dash looked up at the sky, adding, “And let’s try to find some shelter quick. Who knows when a blizzard’s gonna start up?”

Nodding, Fluttershy took Ivy’s hoof. Flapping her wings as hard as her body would allow, she lifted Ivy into the air, and made her way towards her rainbow-maned friend.

After thirty seconds, Fluttershy found herself a foot—maybe fourteen inches—off the ground, and already sweat was starting to pool on her brow. Her teeth were clenched, a slight gurgling sound emitting from her throat. Ivy dangled there, letting out an unamused sigh. From above, Dash smacked her forehead, mumbling, “So much for quick…” She flew down and took Ivy off Fluttershy’s hooves, stating, “Maybe it’d be best if you check the ledges, and I’ll carry Ivy up.”

“Alright…phew…sounds good…whew,” Fluttershy panted, slowly hovering up to the second ledge.

Dash and Ivy exchanged looks, and Ivy whispered, “Not the best flyer.”

“Sure. But hey, gotta love her effort.”

For quite some time, the trio continued up the rocky wall, leaping from ledge to ledge while keeping an eye on the sky. Fluttershy looked at the mountains in awe, as they seemed to sparkle and shimmer, especially with all the snow. “I can see why they’re called the Crystal Mountains.”

Dash had been correct; the wind was beginning to pick up, making it a little more difficult to keep steady. “Hey Fluttershy? Does that map say anything about some places we can rest here?”

“N-no,” she replied, a shiver running down her back.

“Perfect…”

They continued for a couple more hours, steadily hiking upwards while venturing deeper into the mountain ridge. The further in they got, the more difficult it was to climb, as the slopes got steeper and more slippery. And with the wind picking up, they began to quicken their pace, not wanting to be caught in the inevitable blizzard.

Raising her voice over the wind, Ivy said, “I…I think I can see a cave or something on the opposite ridge.” The pegasi followed the mare’s eyes to a dark circle in the face of one of the mountains, a spot where the snow seemed to avoid. “You think you girls can fly over there?”

“Of course I can,” Dash replied confidently.

“Me too…I think,” Fluttershy responded. The two pegasi exchanged nods, simultaneously taking off from the ledge, while Ivy clung onto Dash’s back.

Despite the pegasi’s best efforts, the wind was giving quite an effort of its own. The trio unsteadily flew their way to the cave, wobbling as each gust of wind blew against their sides. One particularly strong gust blasted against Dash’s wing, and due to Ivy’s weight, the pegasi began to plummet. Luckily, Fluttershy reacted swiftly, clenching her teeth around Dash’s tail, stopping her descent and allowing the pegasi to get steady once again.

As they approached the cave, Dash said, “Well whadaya know. Guess you were right kiddo.”

They slipped into the cavern, while the winds started to howl behind them. Fluttershy’s body was still shaking, breathing warm air into her hooves. She peered further down the cave, the snowy path climbing steadily upwards. “Should we rest? Or keep going?” she inquired, waiting for feeling to come back to her legs.

“Well we’re definitely not staying by the mouth of this cave. Not with the blizzard coming again.” Heeding Dash’s words, the group ventured further inside, hoping that there was an opening on the other side.

The cave’s walls shimmered just like the exterior of mountain, illuminating the path before them. Dash led the way, taking out a strawberry strudel only to stick out her tongue and contort her lips. “Ugh, sheesh Fluttershy. How many of these things did you pack?”

“I don’t know…I didn’t know you didn’t like them. I’m sorry.”

“No it’s cool Flutters. I was just, uh, asking.”

“Well I personally like them a bit.”

“Really? I can't stand strawberry flavored thingys What about you, kid?”

“Huh?” Ivy replied, still looking forward.

“We’ve reached a dilemma and we were hoping you’d have the final say. Strawberry strudel, yeah or nope?”

“Y-yeah, of course.”

“Then I guess you can have all of them, huh?”

“Yeah…totally.”

“I don’t think you’re even listening.”

“Yeah…sure…”

“Ivy?” Fluttershy whispered. “You, um, seem to have something on your mind? Are you okay?”

Finally looking back, the young pony said, “What? Oh yeah yeah, I’m…fine.”

“If you need anything, just tell us. After all, that’s why we’re here—to help you.”

“Yeah okay…sure,” Ivy mumbled, inching herself away from the pegasi behind her. She fidgeted with her cloak, pulling it tighter against her skin even though she didn't feel too chilly.

Letting out a sigh, Fluttershy pined, “I just can’t seem to read her, Dash. I don’t know what to do.”

“Heck I’m in the same boat as you,” Rainbow replied nonchalantly. “Then again, I stopped trying a while ago.”

“I can only imagine what she’s thinking. She must have so much on her mind…”

“Well, she ain’t happy with us, I can tell you that much.”

“Maybe…” Fluttershy glanced ahead, and for a split second, she spotted Ivy looking back. It was only for a moment, but the pegasus knew what she saw. “Or maybe…she needs somepony to reach out to her.”

They ventured onward for another hour or so, idly conversing about pastries and whatnot, while the cavern seemed to sprawl on into eternity. Dash had taken to hovering, every so often knocking her head on a low hanging rock, the thump echoing throughout the cavern. As usual, Ivy stayed at the head of the chain, while Fluttershy brought up the rear.

A faint rumbling could be heard in the distance, causing Fluttershy’s ears to perk up. “D-did you hear that?” she whispered, freezing in her tracks.

“Come on ‘Shy, we’ve been over this before—ow! Dang it!” Rainbow Dash set herself down, rubbing her throbbing temple, continuing, “If you stop at every eerie noise you hear, we’re gonna take forever to get outta here! It’s probably just the wind, don’t worry.”

“O-okay then. I’ll just…keep an eye out.”

“There isn’t much to see. Just rocks, ice and—.”

“Whoa…”

“What is it Ivy…oh.”

Ivy stood at the opening of a large chamber, where large icicles hung from the ceiling, from which shimmering water droplets fell. But more eye-opening—and dangerous—was the icy bridge formed between where the three ponies were standing and the opposite side of the cavern. It was a thick bridge of ice wide enough to walk across, but on either side were black pits which seemed to swallow up the sides of the cave into darkness.

Ivy watched a droplet fall into the chasm and fade into nothingness. Her heart began to pound faster.

Dash, on the other hand, flew over her, took a good long look at the drop and exclaimed, “And I thought the other place was deep. I can’t even see the bottom!” She proceeded to fly across the bridge, feeling the water drops plop on her mane.

Fluttershy meekly extended her leg, and despite her own heart beating out of her chest, she said to Ivy, “Take my hoof.”

Ivy felt Fluttershy’s hoof brush against her own, instinctively pulling it back. Shaking her head, she replied, “No, I’m fine. I’ll just go ahead.”

“You sure kid? We can carry you,” Dash offered.

Sucking in a breath, she straightened her body and said, “Yeah. Just watch out for me, okay?”

“That’s kinda our job, so…”

The young mare took a tentative step, only for her hoof to suddenly slip forward. She let out a grunt, but managed to retract her leg and stay upright. “Whoa be careful! Are you sure you wanna…”

“Yeah, yeah I’m fine!” the unicorn replied. “I can do this.” She took another step, this time able to find some stable footing. Her hooves clacking on the frozen bridge, Ivy started to slowly march across, with Fluttershy carefully fluttering close behind.

Rainbow Dash watched the young mare make her way to the other side, and rolling her eyes, mumbled, “That stubborn kid.”

After a couple of sudden slips, Ivy was able to find a rhythm and started to pick up her pace. She made sure not to look down on either side of her, instead keeping her eyes locked on the exit ahead. Inch by inch, she thought, breathing in slowly.

“Already halfway across,” Fluttershy remarked. Ivy turned her head to look back, surprised to see the chamber’s opening so far behind.

With a chuckle, she said, “See? Not too bad.” But when she placed her gaze back on the exit, she found something strange on the back wall. It looked to be a shadowy figure; Ivy rubbed her eyes in case it was a trick of the mind. But sure enough, there was some kind of thing at the entrance…and it seemed to be getting bigger. “Uh, Dash? Do you see—?”

A booming roar echoed throughout the cavern, making the water fly off the icicles and rain down upon the trio of ponies. Out of the exit came a pair of large grotesque creatures, causing the entire room to rumble. Their bodies were covered in thick white fur, with a small head with red eyes and a misshapen nose. With every roar, they bared sharp yellow fangs, with bits of their last meal still stuck to their gums. Each creature had a pair of oversized arms which they used to move, although at the moment, they were using them to pound on the ground, shaking the bridge.

Ivy crouched low, doing her best to keep her footing on the smooth frost. Fluttershy’s eyes widened, trying to say over the roaring, “Those must be the things I heard further back!”

“And the ones who made the cave collapse!” Dash yelled. “What are those things?”

“Trolls! Mountain trolls!”

A troll began to climb along the walls of the cavern, its strong arms punching holes into the ice to grab onto. The other blocked the exit, snarling at its prey. Then, with a bloodcurdling cry, they began to lob large pieces of rock and snow at the trio before them.

“Whoa!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, narrowly dodging a projectile zooming past her head. “Get back to the entrance!” They quickly turned around, only to find two more trolls waiting for them, readying their own ammunition.

The four mountain trolls furiously tossed boulders of rock and ice at the trio of ponies, who remained trapped right in the center of the chamber. Rainbow Dash stayed in the air, attempting to draw the creatures’ fire. Despite the water droplets stinging her eyes, the confident flier nimbly weaved around the zooming missiles, smashing a couple with some well-timed kicks. “Is that the best you smelly freaks can do?” she cried, swatting a rock away. “A filly could throw better than you!”

“Are you trying to get them angrier?” cried a frantic Ivy, who was doing a dangerous dance on the ice. A particularly large boulder shot towards her, whizzing so close to her head, strands of her magenta mane shot backwards with it. The rock thumped against the ice behind her with a crack, and Ivy turned to find a noticeable dent in the bridge. “Uh oh...”

Just a single second—the second it took to turn her head—was enough time for things to go to hell.

A well-placed block of ice banged against the back of Ivy’s head, clouding her vision with stars, sending a jolt through her cranium. The mare toppled over and slid across the ice, the back half of her body dangling over the edge. Through her clouded vision, she could see a yellow figure reaching out to her, a muffled voice crying out, “Ivy! Grab my hoof!”

But a grey blur slammed into the figure’s side, causing her to fall off the platform and out of Ivy’s vision. “Fluttershy!” another shrill voice shouted.

She could hear her own heavy breathing and racing heart amongst the ringing in her ears. As her vision began to clear, she managed to spy a large creature making its way across the ceiling, swinging along the ceiling of icicles like it was a jungle gym. Suddenly, the monster stopped, poised directly over the bridge. It wasn’t until the troll let out a roar and began to sway that the mare realized what it was about to do.

It realized its grip, a muscly projectile set to collide with the frail bridge. Ivy’s eyes widened, as the troll slowly fell—it least it felt so slow. As he got closer and closer, she could see the tiny details of its ugly maw. The blood-red eyes, the wrinkled face, the pointed teeth ready to gnash her bones. When the colossal arm began to reach for her, there was no more time to think. She sucked in a breath, and let herself slip away.

The troll smashed through the center of the icy bridge, sending thousands of dazzling shards into the air like fireworks. The rest of the platform started to collapse as well, already cracked and weakened by the numerous missiles.

Luckily, the troll’s reach was not long enough to grab onto the young pony, and the creature descended into the blackness with a final defeated roar. However, Ivy could feel the wind rushing past her face, her insides being pulled upward as gravity pulled down. Finally, flailing her hooves, she began to scream.

“Rainbow!” Fluttershy shouted, doing her best to dodge the remaining trolls’ attacks.

“Yeah yeah I got it!” Dash replied, spying the falling unicorn. The pegasus began to nosedive into the chasm, dodging the projectiles coming her way. Channeling her energy into a quick burst of speed, Rainbow Dash closed the distance between her and the screaming mare.

She first grasped the unicorn’s hood, but when she tried to pull, the only thing she found herself holding was the torn hood itself. “Aw crud!” she cried, shooting down again toward the still-screaming mare. This time, she hooked Ivy’s hoof, carrying her up to where Fluttershy was still dodging rocks.

“I know you’re not good with magic, but if you could—unh!—keep these rocks off me, that’d be—whoa!—really helpful!” Dash yelled. Ivy’s horn lit up in response, but only a tiny blob of purple magic came out, fizzling after a few inches. “Well…nice try I guess.”

“S-sorry!” the younger pony piped, frantically swatting away a stone.

Dash found the chamber’s exit unobstructed, the frost troll perched on the wall above it, and seizing the opportunity, she shot towards it. “Alright kid, looks like I’m gonna let you go!”

“Wait whaaaAAAH!” Rainbow Dash released her pony cargo, flinging her perfectly into the chamber exit. When Ivy hit the ground, she let out a yelp of pain, sliding until her back thudded against the wall. In one fluid motion, Rainbow cocked back a foreleg, letting out a vicious haymaker, which connected against the mountain troll’s already mashed face. Its head shot back before going limp, and its body careened into the abyss below.

“C’mon Fluttershy!” she beckoned, waiting for the shy pony to hover over. The pegasi retreated into the tunnel, and after helping Ivy to her hooves, they galloped down the corridor while furious howls sounded behind them.

“Wow, you really hit that troll really…really hard,” Fluttershy muttered, flinching at the mere memory.

“’Shy, that was nothing! I know you’re soft with the animals, but come on those things were gonna kill us.”

“I know. It was just maybe...a tad bit harsh.”

Soon the roaring died away, and the ponies finally paused, their chest heaving and their foreheads slick with sweat. Fluttershy leaned against the wall, a burning ache spreading through her wings and legs. She glanced back to see that Ivy had fallen behind, and as she got closer, Fluttershy realized she was limping.

“Ivy! Are you okay?” the pegasus asked, quickly making her way to the injured mare.

Sitting back on her haunches, the unicorn held up one of her forelegs, replying, “My leg hurts, I think I sprained it or something.” Hardening her voice, she turned to a certain cyan pegasus and added, “Probably when Dash threw me into the freaking wall.”

“Hey, I saved your butt too! Don’t I at least get a thanks for that?”

“Yeah…thanks.”

Before either pony could say anything particularly venomous, Fluttershy carefully took the injured hoof, causing Ivy to bite her lip in pain. The pegasus already held bandages in her mouth, saying through clenched teeth, “Don’t worry, Ivy. I think I can help.”

She started to carefully wrap the bandages around the injured joint, and Ivy looked away, ready for another shot of pain. However, before she knew it, the pegasus whispered, “Okay, I think that’s good.” The young mare opened her eyes to find her leg already taken care of, leaving her mouth slightly agape. When she pressed her hoof on the ground, her leg felt completely fine, with only a slight discomfort in the places where the bandage was a bit tight. “Don’t put too much pressure on it, but other than that, you’ll be okay.”

“Whoa. Um, thanks…Fluttershy,” Ivy said with a hint of smile, out of both gratitude and shock.

“You good to go, kid?” Dash called impatiently. “Good. I think I’ve seen enough of this bucking cave.”

“Language Rainbow,” Fluttershy chided.

“Oh it’s okay,” Ivy assured. “Hear it on the ranch all the time.”

“Oh….ranch?”

“Wha—oh, yeah…the ranch, I, well back where I lived, there used, I used to…n-nevermind.” She instinctively reached for her hood, only to paw at the torn cloth tucked behind her neck. Without another word, the young mare ambled past Rainbow Dash, who looked at her through narrowed eyes.

The pegasus then turned to Fluttershy, giving a glare that asked, What’s her damage? But the yellow mare timidly shook her head and followed Ivy, giving one more cautious look at the bandage.

“Can’t believe I’m sayin’ this,” Rainbow Dash began, gazing down the long, dark, seemingly endless passage. “But I can’t wait to get back into that blizzard.”

Author's Note:

I can't believe it's been more than a year, and I don't know why I never published this chapter. I want to continue this story to the end, because Furry Contraband is just lots of fun to write. But as you can probably tell, I haven't been actively writing in a while. So we'll see guys, but I just want to really thank all the people who've been supporting my stories so far, even after all this time!

No pun this time around either, so you're welcome. :rainbowkiss:

Comments ( 1 )

But i like the puns!

Login or register to comment