• Published 2nd Apr 2012
  • 825 Views, 1 Comments

Daring Do and the Griffon's Goblet - Nom De Pony



Daring Do's thrilling adventure continues as she journeys to the land of the griffons.

  • ...
 1
 825

Chapter 3

Daring Do and the Griffon’s Goblet
Chapter 3

It had taken some convincing for Lord Grendor to agree to search the ruin once again; even Daring wasn’t convinced by her own argument. But, here she was, a week later, on a path just outside the ruins of Featherfield. The griffons who accompanied her were just as displeased as their Lord with searching the ruin for a third time. The fact that they were forced to walk to the ruin, instead of flying, which would have taken half the time, because of Daring’s injured wing didn’t help. Needless to say she had trouble making friends amongst the griffon archeologists and bodyguards that made up her host, except amongst a select few who eventually warmed up to her as they shared stories of their adventures.

They marched in single file down a narrow forest path that was barely wide enough for two ponies, let alone two of the larger griffons, to walk abreast. It was hard to imagine where they walked was once a great mountain valley plain many centuries ago. The noonday sun broke through the clouds just as they exited the dense forest and entered the wide open expanse that contained the ruins of Featherfield. Stones of collapsed homes framed what was once a road that connected the city with the rest of the Griffon Empire. Daring tried to picture herself in the bustling city at its height, of course even if she were alive back then she probably would never have seen the city. Griffons and pegasi had never had the best relationship and had waged several wars against each other throughout history.

As the griffons set up camp Daring wandered the ruins frowning at the fact most of the city had been left unexcavated, their focus had mostly been on the castle and the search for the goblet’s most likely resting places. She wondered what treasures, not just of silver and gold, but of pottery and figurines with stories to tell may lay hidden beneath less than a meter or two of earth. Pulling her note book from the breast pocket of her shirt with her teeth, where folded up within was a hand drawn map from the first excavation team that she laid on the grand in front of her. Studying the map she got a feel for how the city was laid out while rereading her notes for the hundredth time since they had set out on their journey. She was looking for some clue that might tell here where, aside from the castle, the goblet could rest, possibly amongst a king’s ransom in other treasures.

Sealed away behind Grifand’s beak was a line that had stuck with her; it just didn’t seem to fit with the rest of the text. Daring studied the map again before rolling a stone on it so it wouldn’t blow away as she wandered the nearby section of the ruins. Since the ruin was in such decay nothing even closely looked like a beak nowadays. She would have to abandon the hope for an easy solution there. Returning to the map she studied the shape of the streets and neighbourhoods looking for a pattern, maybe a griffon’s head where she could look “within the beak”, but there wasn’t anything that obvious.

“Miss Do?” The griffon’s voice broke her concentration so suddenly that she almost jumped, “The camp is all set up is there anything else you would like us to do?”

“Point me in the direction of the goblet so we can get out of here?” The confused look on the griffon’s face caused her sigh and shake her head, “No, nothing for the moment. I’ll need an escort to show me the way in to the castle shortly though.”

“Just let us know when you’re ready.”

Daring wandered the city restlessly hoping she had missed something obvious but eventually gave in that without months of excavations these buildings would tell her nothing more than what they did now. She didn’t have time for months of excavations as the Griffon Lord’s representative on the trip kept reminding her every time that he thought that they were progressing too slowly on their trek to the ruins. Daring decided to take a quick look at the castle when saw that she was quickly losing daylight.

Much of its extremities had collapsed over the centuries and there were large parts that remained unexcavated but the main corridor and great hall seemed to have remained intact and in surprisingly good shape. The setting sun entered through a hole behind and above where the Lord of All Griffons’ golden nest, the one that inspired Lord Grendor’s, would have rested. Daring guessed there would have been a simple glass pane there, perhaps even a stained glass. Looking over her shoulder she saw the remains of what once would have been a counterpart window, now caved in leaving a large gap, which during the morning hours, when court was held, would have lit the golden nest brilliantly.

Daring’s brief tour came to an end as the light became too dim to see anything. She knew that even with torches it would be hard to really observe the room. Returning to her tent she studied her notes again by candlelight before sliding into her sleeping roll where she dreamt of the Ruby of Rumination once again. When she awoke in the morning she wished she really had that ruby, if the rumours of its power were true the thoughts of its bearer become focused and clear, observations more potent, wit sharpened. She could really use that stone right now.

For the next two days she wandered the chamber and city becoming increasingly frustrated with lack of any new evidence towards her theory. The griffon archaeologists began annoy her, or rather she became annoyed with them, so she sent them off to go excavate other portions of the castle with promises of important discoveries. She was never left alone however; there was always at least one of the bodyguards with her. Something told her that rather than protect her they were more there to guard the ruin from her.

For what felt like the hundredth time that day Daring wandered aimlessly around the castle’s great hall. For some unknown reason it kept drawing her back, there was something she was missing here. It bothered her that she couldn’t figure it out. She closely studied scenes where great griffons, whose names were lost to time, were immortalized in carved facades. She had read that these carvings depicted not only great battles, but great accomplishments of griffonkind. It was meant as another reminder of what griffons could accomplish together, and what could happen if they did not. This whole chamber was designed to promote unity of griffons.

The sun poured through the hole where the morning oculus once was illuminating where the golden nest would have sat. Daring moved into the light and tried to imagine sitting in this spot over a thousand years ago. She pulled her pith helmet down a little to shield her eyes from the blinding sun causing her to notice the holes surrounding her once again. There were exactly thirty-six spread around in small groups of three that had puzzled her since she first saw them. The griffons speculated the holes were for thin supports that would suspend the golden nest giving it the illusion of floating in the air. While it was a grand notion Daring hadn’t quite bought into the idea.

Moss half covered one of the holes, annoyed with the latest case in griffon archeological laziness, Daring attempted to clear it away with her hoof. The moss proved to be stubborn so she dug a little harder causing a large chunk of the moss to tear away revealing small carvings underneath. Excited by the discovery she blew into the carving to clear away the soil, revealing it completely. The carvings didn’t look like anything she had ever seen before. Hoping it was only a small piece that would make sense as a whole she began pulling away more moss with her hoof. Her digging eventually revealed a ring of the strange carvings in a ring tracing the inside of the circle formed by the holes. After a moment of puzzling over these carvings it hit her: these were words. It was text in the ancient griffon language!

“Is there a language expert amongst the archeological team?” She called excitedly to the guards at the entrance of the chamber.

The griffons gave each other a puzzled look before one eventually shrugged, “I would have no idea.”

She shot him an angry look, “Then go find out. Now!”

The griffons seemed to take offence at her ordering them around but turned to hopefully find the language expert Daring wanted all the same. Digging at the ground with her hooves she kicked away large clumps of moss from the center of the circle to the edges of the chamber leaving only dirt in crevices she could not dig out by hoof. Her first instinct was to retrieve her brush from her bag when a better idea occurred to her: she could use her wings. It’s not technically flying, so I’ll get to keep my promise yet, she thought with a sly smile before rearing up on to her hind legs then beating her wings in hard, controlled movements. Surprisingly her injured wing barely hurt as she did so; perhaps the rest had done it well after all.

With a few more beats of her wings the area was cleared to reveal a grand carving on the floor. Depicted was the bust of a regal looking griffon, Daring assumed was Grifand, holding a goblet in his claw in a toast. “Beneath Grifand’s beak” rang in her head. Exhilaration consumed her from her instincts paying off once again. She circled the round carving looking it over carefully.

“Miss Do?” A shy voice broke her concentration, “You sent for me?” Daring hadn’t even heard the griffon enter the chamber.

“Yes, come here.” Daring waved him over excitedly then pointed at the writing circling the carving of Grifand, “Can you tell me what that says?”

The griffon muttered to himself as he walked around the carving slowly, sounding out the words he read. After several tense moments he looked up at Daring, “It looks to be an earlier form of griffin dialect, but luckily it’s similar to enough to work with. If I had to hazard a guess I would think what it basically says is: ‘Let all griffons who are united in peace and prosperity among our kind pledge themselves and drink deep from the cup of peace.’”

Daring mulled it over for a moment, “You’re certain that’s all it says?”

The griffon shook his head, “Not at all, as I said that was a rough translation. I’m kind of guessing on a few words actually.”

Daring sighed. I’m so close, what’s missing? She wandered around the carving again as the words ran through her mind. ‘Let all griffons who are united in peace and prosperity among our kind pledge themselves and drink deep from the cup of peace.’ What could they mean exactly? “What words were you guessing on?”

“It’s not so much the words as it’s how they were used. But where it says: ‘pledge themselves’ could also be read: ‘join claw with claw’. You see because in the ancient times joining claws was considered pledging a griffon’s self and-”

“Quiet a second.” It was there before her, she just couldn’t fit the last piece.

Her eyes wandered over the whole scene. The bust of Griffand surrounded by the text and the support holes. Why would they hide this carving? Even if the nest was suspended it would be hard to see. Her eyes found deep gouges in the stone floor just beyond that she had discounted to wear and tear over time. The gouges seemed to form a circular pattern. I’ll bet they didn’t suspend the nest, the nest was placed just beyond the carving where those gouges are. So, what are the holes for then? She looked at the holes, thirty-six holes, in a dozen sets of three. A dozen sets of three! The twelve!

Frantically she searched the room for something she had seen earlier, she found it in a carving she had studied briefly several times before. It depicted twelve griffons gathered in a circle, one claw forward, around the goblet. It had been right in front of you the whole time Daring! How did you miss that? Excitedly, she snapped off a thin piece of root from a large tree growing above the ruin with her teeth, before returning to the carving in the center of the room. Placing the root into the hole she initially felt some resistance, but with a little more force it moved. Putting even more effort behind it she felt the hole give way and a soft click resonated throughout the chamber. Daring looked excitedly at the three griffons in the chamber, “Get everyone in here now! Hurry!”

The several minutes that it took to gather up the entire team of griffons felt like an eternity to Daring. She was relieved to see that they had the dozen she needed plus a couple to spare. “Twelve of you stand around the carving in the center of the floor.” No one moved. She didn’t have patience for reluctance right now, not when she was so close, “Let’s go! I don’t care which of you it is I just need twelve of you here now!”

Slowly a dozen griffons volunteered themselves and stood around the carving of Griffand. Daring adjusted them so they were each centered on a set of the holes. “Good, now I want each of you to place your claws in holes in front of you.” She growled at them when they hesitated once again, “Do it! This is what we came here for! We are so close.”

It was the linguist who was to first press his claw into the holes. The clicks that arose seemed to embolden the others. One by one they placed their claws into the holes, the air filled with the sound of clicking. There was a moment of tense silence as the last griffon pressed their claws in and nothing happened. Suddenly a loud thunk resonated throughout the room just before the carving of Grifand rotated slightly, sunk a few centimeters and slid to the side all on its own, revealing a shallow pit beneath.

Daring shoved two griffons aside in her rush to the hole. Unsettled dust, that made it nearly impossible to see inside, was cleared away with few firm beats of her wings to reveal a chest set in the center of a ring of individual carvings that Daring didn’t recognise. “The marks of the old clans!” she heard one griffon gasp behind her.

Daring gently hopped down into the hole and approached the chest. Deep inside she knew that it should be a griffon in the pit about to open the chest, but she was too caught up in the moment to care. The old latch resisted momentarily as she pried at it with her teeth before opening, allowing the lid to open with a groan. Whatever material that had lined and padded the chest lay in colourless rags at the bottom surrounding a dusty goblet made of bronze. A griffon's claw served as the stem holding the drinking vessel in place, inlaid on either side was a bolt of ruby meant to signify the power of unity.

Daring had been so focused on the relic that the commotion above her remained unregistered on her consciousness. “That’s close enough, Daring Do!” came a voice that snapped her back to reality just as she was about to pull the goblet from the chest with her muzzle.

Looking up, a griffon who glared down upon her dominated her view; it was one of the bodyguards. Daring looked around the chamber to see that three other griffons, including one of the archaeologists, had donned iron gauntlets on their claws that increased the length and lethality of their talons by a significant factor. The two bodyguards had also donned helms that covered the tops of their heads, a sharp extension curved out from the tops of their beaks. The griffon above her only wore the gauntlets.

“There’s no need for this,” She spoke calmly, “I am fully intending on turning the goblet over to Lord Grendor.”

The griffon’s loud laughter took her by surprise, “That’s where we run in to a complication, Miss Do. For my employer would not appreciate it ending up in Grendor’s hands.”

Daring was truly confused now, “Your employer?”

The griffon nodded, “Yes, Emperor Golfreid, true emperor of the soon to be renewed Griffon Empire, whom I serve as a faithful and loyal subject.”

Daring wasn’t even aware of such a griffon, “The Griffon Empire is long dissolved, how can there still be an Emperor?”

“You foolish pony, it was never dissolved, it was buried and hidden away. But, for generation after generation, century after century it has waited for its chance to rise again. We've embedded ourselves deeply within normal griffon society, learning their secrets; positioning ourselves for the time when we could strike and take the empire back!” He became more impassioned with every word, “Now that the goblet is rediscovered that time is now! It shall be a symbol for those loyal to the Emperor to come out of hiding to reclaim what is rightfully ours!”

“And once your empire is restored what then? Have you forgotten what happened the last time the empire was in power?”

The griffon shook his head, his voice turning to venom, “Don’t worry pony, we have not forgotten the slight that your Princess showed us all those years ago.”

Daring was outraged at the oversimplification, “Slight? The Griffon Empire attacked Equestria and was beaten back after a long and bloody war.”

“And subsequently forced to dissolve into a weaker lordship under the rule of fool after fool, who was backed by an even weaker council. The slight has not been forgotten by the empire and will be returned in full.”

Daring gritted her teeth, “You’re mad. You're talking about causing unneeded bloodshed after so many years of peace. That’s the exact opposite of what this goblet represents! You would pervert its meaning by using it as a symbol to your cause!”

“No Miss Do, we would make it a symbol of what mighty griffons can do once they are banded together against a common enemy. Equestria shall be an example to all!”

Daring’s growing hatred for this griffon poured into her words “You disgrace this chamber and the goblet by simply being near it!”

The griffon sighed, “You are being dramatic. Now stand aside and let me take what is rightfully the Emperor’s!”

Daring narrowed her eyes, “I’m afraid I can’t do that.”

Without warning she grasped the goblet in her teeth, spread her wings and shot up in to the air. She barely tucked her wings in tight to her body in time as she passed through the narrow, intact oculus and into the sky beyond. She was exhilarated to be flying once again, it had been too long. Hearing the wind once again rush past her, whipping through her mane consumed her to the point that she could have easily forgotten that she had a priceless artefact in her mouth and was more than likely about to be chased by angry griffons. A quick glance over her shoulder to see two griffons rise into the air, one of which looked like to be the leader who she had talked to a moment before, confirmed her suspicion.

She didn’t know where to fly to, the incoming griffons blocked her path to High Hall, which was too far away anyways, and there was nothing but ocean in front of her. Ocean! An idea struck her and she flapped her wings harder towards the expanse of water. She wasn't exactly sure where this idea was taking her but, heading out to sea seemed like a good idea for the moment. Checking behind her again revealed the griffons were closing fast on her. Months of disuse were causing her wings to become tired already and slowing her down.

Within minutes the griffons were upon her, slashing with iron clad claws and snapped with sharp beaks. Deftly, she dodged their attacks by swerving side to side, diving then steeply climbing. Her injured wing screamed in exhaustion and pain, but she ignored it, knowing that she had no choice but to press on. One of griffons surged closer, Daring snapped her tail at his eyes over and over until it hit home. The griffon fell back as he cried in agony, clutching his eye. The other griffon, which Daring recognised the leader, clawed for her flank; she cut above him, driving her hooves into his face.

With a scream of pain the griffon leader fell back. “You can’t keep this up, Daring Do! I know how hurt your wing is, it must be begging for relief right now!” He screamed after her angrily.

He was right. It was taking an incredible amount of effort to raise and lower her wings each time. Dejected she stopped and turned to face her adversary. “You’re right!” she called as loudly as she could and still keep the goblet within the grasp of her teeth.

The griffon leader stopped in front of Daring, keeping his distance, “A pony of reason! Now hand that goblet over and we may forget about this little chase and let you go free.” He held out his claw expectantly.

He wouldn’t let her go free, she knew that. But, she still held the goblet, with it she had the power in the situation, “I don’t think so,” the shocked look on the griffons face almost caused her to laugh. Instead Daring forced herself to be stern, “I can’t let you take this and pervert it’s meaning. I would rather it be in the depth of the sea forever.”

“You wouldn’t! That goes against all you stand for Daring Do! You long to preserve treasure. You have just discovered a long lost relic and you would condemn it to the seas forever?” The griffon shook his head, “No, I don’t think so.”

“No?” The griffon’s terror was almost visible as she let the goblet tumble from her mouth only to catch it in her hooves a second later, “You don’t know me at all. My desire is to uncover history and bring its story to the masses. This goblet may not be my history, but it tells a story none the less. I would rather it lie at the bottom of the sea than be used as a corrupted symbol for power and ill gotten glory!”

The griffon glared at her, “Do it then! Drop it in to the sea and lose your only bargaining chip! I can see the strength in your wing is fading; you had better make your choice quickly.”

He was right. She could feel herself losing a little more altitude with every second she stalled trying to come up with a plan. She glared at the two griffons across from her, then down at the goblet in her hooves and the sea beyond it. Could I really do it? Could I really drop such a precious item into the water below? I have no choice, I have to.

She steeled herself with her choice, reluctantly beginning to open her hooves, when a shadow on the water caught her attention. She looked up for the source as a griffon dove out of the glaring late morning sun and slammed into the back of griffon leader’s companion. They plummeted towards the sea clawing and biting at each other until her rescuer spread his wings, almost instantly stopping his descent, letting his opponent crash into the water below.

The imperial griffon leader was suddenly upon her, having taken advantage of the distraction to close the distance between himself and Daring. Daring backed away, kicking at him as he grabbed for the goblet when a second griffon drove his paws between her assailant’s wings. The imperial griffon let out a shriek of pain before turning to lock into combat, kicking and clawing at the other griffon.

“Flee Miss Do! The path is clear!” her rescuer called.

Daring didn’t waste a second, flying as fast as she could manage towards the shore, hoping to find renewed strength within her exhausted wings. As hard as she tried to stay aloft she could see she was steadily losing altitude. Clutching the goblet to her chest she pushed herself to remain in the air, the promise of the steadily approaching shore the only thing keeping her aloft when suddenly Daring cried out in agony as her right wing seized, giving out only meters from the shore. In a moment of clarity amongst the instant panic she curled her body around the goblet just as she slammed into the water. The sense of flying overcame her for a moment before slamming against the waves again and again as she skipped across the water. Water abruptly tuned to sand as she crashed into the beach, causing her to topple head over hoof until finally coming to a stop.

Every part of her body ached, her wings especially. Shakily she stood, giving her head a shake to clear her vision, immediately she knew something was wrong, something was missing. Where’s the goblet!? The realisation that it wasn’t with her sent her into a panic as she quickly searched all around. Did she drop it in the water after all? Daring hobbled towards the beach, crushed at the thought of losing the goblet after all, when a glimmer at the water’s edge caught her eye. There, laying in the sand, with gentle waves lapping over it, was the goblet.

She was overcome with joy at the sight of the bronze relic. Daring pulled it from the sand before carefully inspecting it, to her profound relief it was undamaged. Gently she picked it up in her mouth beginning to limp her way towards where she thought the ruins of Featherfield may be when shadows darkened the sky above her. Placing the goblet on the ground she turned to face the threat. With a sigh of relief she saw it was only her two rescuers, “Miss Do! You’re alright!”

“Alright is a relative term, but alive, thanks to you.” She gave her best grin but gasped when the stepped closer. Blood was dripping from wounds all over their bodies; one looked like he may have lost an eye. “You’re both wounded!”

The lead griffon dismissed the severity of it with a wave of his claw, “Nothing that cannot be mended.”

“Where are the imperial griffons?”

The griffon with the wounded eye let out a laugh, “The cowards ran after a brief scuffle. I suspect however that this is not the last time we see them.”

Daring shook her head, “I don’t think so either. How did you manage to get free from the ruin?”

“After you left and they gave chase Grommand attacked one of the guards they had left. Gralypse,” the lead griffon indicated the one with the injured eye, “and I took advantage of the situation to give chase ourselves. Fools thought that only two griffons could contain even the softer archeologists.”

Daring smiled “Perhaps the other two have fled as well then.”

“I hope at least one traitor remains so that we can question him.” Gralypse snorted in disgust.

The lead griffon nodded in agreement, “Shall we get back to the camp Miss Do?”

“I would love to but I can’t fly, heck I barely walk.”

Gralypse stepped forward, “It would be our honour to carry you back to camp Daring Do.”

Daring was shocked by the offer but, after a moment of hesitation she agreed to be carried. Back at camp the party took stock of their injuries, Gralypse turned out to be worst. The only griffon with medical training, barely more than first aid, helped bandage their wounds. One of the traitor griffons had indeed been captured. He had been bound tightly with rope and vines so he could not move which he complained about it until they tied his beak shut as well. After a day of rest in the camp Daring felt well enough to travel back to High Hall, insisting on flying back under her own power. The griffons did not complain about the frequent stops to rest her wing during the journey.

Lord Grendor was shocked to hear of the betrayal upon their return to High Hall but, declared himself in Daring’s debt for what she had done to bring such a sacred relic to him. She was declared no longer a menace to griffonkind, but still needed to give warning if she was entering their land. Grendor went as far as to invite Daring as a guest of honour to the anniversary banquet, but she declined longing to get home to Canterlot and knowing full well there would be little on the menu that would appeal to her. The next morning Galiffe escorted her to the train, riveted by the tale of her journey and swearing to finish the excavation of Featherfield.

The train ride did her good. By the time she arrived back in Canterlot she was still sore, but it was barely a labour to move anymore. Her first stop was to the museum where she told Dusty all about the adventure and sudden return of the Griffon Empire.

Dusty shook his head in disbelief at the end of the tale, “The Griffon Empire, if they’ve come back like you say that bodes ill for Equestria. I suspect that Celestia herself will want to hear about this news, I’ll make arrangements for you to speak to her.”

The princess! In all of her time in Canterlot she had seen the princess many times but had never spoken to her personally, “It would be a privilege; I just wish it were under better terms.”

Dusty nodded, “As do I. Now, there’s the matter of you breaking your promise to me.”

Daring gave her mentor a shocked look, “Now hold on old colt, I only did what I needed to protect that relic.”

Dusty nodded, “True, but a promise is a promise.” Daring huffed preparing to argue her point when she was cut off before she could begin, “As punishment: I want you to relax for at least a week. No planning adventures, no poring over maps and tomes, in fact you are banished from the museum all together! Try to just relax. Perish the thought you treat yourself to a spa day while you’re at it.”

It took all her effort to hide her grin as she put on a look of hurt, “That’s just unfair.”

Dusty let out a sigh of resignation, “I know, but a mentor must be stern with his pupil.” He managed a stern look before they both broke out in laughter, “Come, before you start your punishment let me show you something.”

He led her towards the back of the museum where they had been building the new exhibit in her absence. The room had been transformed into an ancient temple. Displays of pottery and jewelry that had been recovered from similar areas were displayed around the room. In the direct center, with a beam of light shining down from above, was the Sapphire Stone. It glimmered radiantly in the light.

Dusty smiled at his protégé, “The exhibit opens in two days, and I will let you break your punishment in order to be there, I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

She grinned, “You’re getting soft in your old age.”

Dusty grinned back, “Perhaps I am.”

Daring took in the sight of the Sapphire Stone glimmering in the light. The artefact reminded her why she did it. Why all the planning, frustration and pain was worth it in the end. The call of relics like this, the call of history itself, was deep in her blood. Despite her mentor’s orders she already was planning her next adventure. History was calling to her and that was a call she never denied.

Daring Do shall return in her next adventure: Daring Do and the Gambler’s Gold

Comments ( 1 )

Amazing! More Daring Do plz. they're great. they're wonderful. They're undeniably, unquestionably, un-put-down-able!!:rainbowdetermined2::heart::heart::heart::rainbowdetermined2:

Login or register to comment