• Published 12th Feb 2014
  • 10,080 Views, 909 Comments

The Adventures of Schadenfreude - Daemon McRae



The origins, adventures, and glorious antics of Blueblood's royal butler, Schadenfreude.

  • ...
11
 909
 10,080

It BEGINS.

Chapter 3: It BEGINS.

It’s usually customary for new employees of the castle to get a tour of some kind of the facilities. For me? Well, I knew the castle well enough. I’d run around it plenty of times as a teenager. My parents may not have worked in the castle, but they had plenty of reason to be there. Or so they told everypony else. I didn’t care. I was having too much fun. But it was safe to say I knew my way around. Thus, Princess Celestia brought me straight to the throne room.

Walking in the throne room for the first time is much like seeing your first shooting star: it’s a brief, shining moment of wonder followed by a surge of adrenaline that usually follows something really cool, and you’re excited to tell everyone about it. Walking in the I don’t know how many-eth time is like finding a prize at the bottom of your cereal box. Kinda neat, but you knew what was gonna happen.

The first thing I noticed was that there were a whole lot of ponies standing around. Princesses Luna, Cadence and Twilight, Shining Armor, the customary amount of guards, and, of course, Prince Blueblood.

I half expected Discord to be around. Well, half expected, half hoped. But no.

They didn’t seem to notice me right away. Or if they did, they didn’t recognize me. Which is mildly insulting. Or would be, if not for the big floppy hat and trenchcoat. Yeah, Princess Celestia kind of made me put it on when I got to the castle. Something about disturbing the locals. She passed me off to anyone who asked as somepony seeking asylum. I responded my smiling evilly under the hat and laughing like a serial killer. That lasted all of two hallways, before she told me I wasn’t allowed to do that any more. Number one-forty.

“Sister, who is this that you have brought into our throne room? I suspect it is somepony seeking protection?” Luna asked.

I was trying really hard not to throw off the disguise and make a horrible joke.

Twilight and Cadence exchanged worried glances. “Protection? Like asylum? What kind of pony would need asylum?” Twilight asked, in what I think she thought was a hushed voice.

Cadence gave me a curios look. “Most likely somepony who has angered a noble or something similar. It might just be political or some famous figure trying to walk around without being bothered by fans. It happens more than you think.”

Trying reallllllyyyy hard here. I gave Princess Celestia a sideways glance, and she gave me what I swear to this day was a hint of a smile. That sadistic sun-raiser was enjoying it.

“Obviously it’s somepony who’s made a mess of things and expects us to clean it up for them. How typical,” Blueblood sneered.

I couldn’t take it any more. With one last pleading look to Celestia, she gave me a nod, and I threw off the disguise. “Honey, I’m hoooooooooooommeeeeee!” I said in my gayest voice possible. Which is pretty gay, actually. I use it to piss off homophobes.

I will never forget the reactions.

Blueblood all but ran for the hills. He ducked behind one of the thrones, cowering and yelling like a little girl, “Rule 106! RULE 106!!”

The other Princesses just gave varying degrees of eye-rolls and disapproving looks, mixed will all shades of groans.

Luna looked less bothered than the others to see me. Of course, that would change over time. “Sister, why exactly is... he here?” she drawled.

“Yeah, he’s kind of...” Twilight trailed off, her courteous manner preventing her from using all the rather inappropriate adjectives I’ve grown so accustomed to.

“An ass? A douchebag? A jerk to everyone? Absolutely adorable to the audience at home? A crowd favorite?” I rambled on.

“A pain in my flank,” Cadence finished.

Celestia looked around the room, a hint of the creepy smile I had seem hours before tugging at the corners of her mouth. “Well, girls, I have had an idea. I recently received a large list of complaints from a customer service company that, up until recently, employed our... loyal subject here. This list happened to coincide with a certain expense report from a project spear-headed by our very own Prince Blueblood. Thus, an idea was born.”

Blueblood popped his head out, as the Princesses looked confusedly at each other. “Auntie, what are you saying?”

Celestia gave that same meaningful cough as before, and a familiar-looking guard trotted forward with a pen and pad of paper. “Take note: Rule One Hundred Five is revoked. Rule One Hundred Forty-One: Schadenfreude is to be within three hundred feet of Prince Blueblood at all times unless specifically ordered by a Princess.”

“AUNTIE!” Blueblood bellowed.

I saw Twilight look back and forth between us curiously, her eyes sparkling with recognition. “Wait, you don’t mean...”

Luna raised an eyebrow. “Tia...”

And Cadence? Cadence laughed. “Oh... oh no.... please don’t tell me....”

Celestia nodded, and looked down at me. “Schadenfreude, I believe you’ve met Prince Blueblood. He will be your direct supervisor from now on.”

I felt an unfamiliar muscle group in my face twitch. “What.”

As if to answer that not-really-a-question, she turned to Blueblood. “Bluey, meet your new butler.”

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

Seriously, I was going to need cosmetic surgery to unsmile myself.

Author's Note:

If you guys enjoy this stuff, try reading Safety Off, another thing I wrote.