• Published 12th Feb 2014
  • 10,052 Views, 909 Comments

The Adventures of Schadenfreude - Daemon McRae



The origins, adventures, and glorious antics of Blueblood's royal butler, Schadenfreude.

  • ...
11
 909
 10,052

Schaden the Great and Annoying

Chapter 16: Schaden the Great and Annoying

“I’m sorry, what?” Twilight asks, obviously unsure if she hear me correctly the first time.

“Date, tomorrow night. I have one,” I explain again. “I was wondering what the plan was for tomorrow so I could get my work done early.”

Twilight’s head seems to be stuck at an angle as she blinks repeatedly at me with a dumbfounded expression. “And, um… who, exactly are you going on a date with?”

“Her name is Derpy, she’s a pegasus in town who-”

“YES I KNOW WHO DERPY IS,” Twilight says quickly, he head snapping back into place. A maid dusting the furniture behind her jumps in surprise. “Schaden, I can’t believe you! Asking out a poor girl like that! What kind of awful idea are you brewing?”

Not much annoys me. It’s one of my few redeemable traits. But now I was annoyed. “You know, Twilight, not everything I do is to annoy or bother somepony. Sometimes I like to actually, you know, have a life. And not that I don’t deserve it a little bit, but didn’t we literally have a conversation about you being suspicious about me not two days ago?”

“I… right. You’re right,” she concedes, taking a deep breath. “Ok, let me try this again. Why did you ask Derpy out?”

A small smile warms my face. “Actually, I didn’t. She asked me.”

Twilight opens her mouth to ask another question, when a voice speaks up from a corner. “Makes sense,” says Starlight, not looking up from her book.

Twilight’s head pivots rapidly to look at her ‘student’. “How does that make sense?!”

There’s the sound of a book closing, and I follow Twilight’s gaze in time to see Starlight walking up to join the conversation. “Because I was talking to Derpy at the end of the party last night, and she was asking me who the ‘cute but weird butler stallion’ was. I told her I wasn’t sure, so she went off to ask a few other maids. Celestia knows what they said about him, but I guess it was all good,” Starlight explained.

That took me by surprise. Most of the waitstaff at the castle wouldn’t waste time badmouthing me. “That’s… interesting. I wonder who she talked to?” I wonder aloud.

“That would be me,” says the red and blue mare who was dusting a moment ago.

I cock my head to the side, mimicking Twilight’s earlier expression. “Say what now? I thought you all loved talking trash about me.”

She flips her hair, a dark blue lock that falls in front of one eye, and smiles a cheerless smile. “Oh, we do. But it’s also kind of a well-known rule that you’re usually on much better behavior when you’ve got a mare in your life. Like that one time you spent a couple of weeks trying to impress Princess Celestia. Quietest two weeks of my life.”

Twilight’s eye twitches as Starlight suppresses a giggle. Poorly. “You tried to hit on the Princess?” Twilight asks, in obvious disbelief.

I cringe at the memory. Not one of my finer moments. “Yes, yes I did. Very badly. We uh, we don’t talk about that. At least Celestia happens to be a very good sport about the whole thing. I believe she said something along the lines of me not being the worst suitor she ever had, but please don’t do it again,” I recall. “So wait, you said a bunch of nice things about me in an attempt to keep me from being an annoying prick?”

The maid nods fervently. “Yes. And please, please don’t screw this up. She seems like a genuinely nice mare. I kind of like her, actually. So like, don’t be a douche.”

The whole room of mares gives me a combination of pleading looks and serious glares. It’s not like I was planning on being a jerk to Derpy, anyways. “Well, fine. Ok. Just as long as you stop using ‘like’ in every other sentence.”

“...deal.”

------------------------------

The rest of the day seems to go by in a blur, as I spend most of the time trying to think of what I should bring on this date. Derpy said she was going to cook dinner, so bringing food would be in poor taste. I think about flowers for a moment, but that might also bee seen as bringing food. I’m not having any luck in this department, so I decide I need something to take my mind off of things.

Namely, the distraction of finding somepony to annoy. Having taken care of the fixings for lunch, and being rushed out of the castle so as not to bother Twilight’s guests, I find myself walking around Ponyville again.

Then a familiar voice echoes through the streets. One I haven’t heard in a rather long time. It’s almost nostalgic. And exactly the distraction I was looking for.

“Come one, come all! COME SEE THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE!”

“Dear Celestia, if you can hear this, thank you,” I say to the sky. Following the voice is easy, as it’s soon accompanied by the lights of fireworks and the sound of spinning decorations. The stage soons come into view as I round a street corner, and there’s somewhat of a crowd gathered around the display.

Trixie herself is standing on her hind legs, posing for all to see, before engaging the crowd. I’m surprised to see she isn’t doing her usual ‘Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better’ shtick. Instead, she’s starting with some typical tricks and spells, showing off some mildly impressive talent as she works the crowd. I ease my way between a few ponies, and sit back to watch the show.

It’s one of my easiest, yet cruelest tricks: all I do is sit in one place, and stare at her. Unblinking, only moving my head as she does, I keep the rest of myself as still as possible. To anypony else, it appears that I’m just extremely interested in the performance.

To a performer, it’s like having a statue follow your every move on stage. Bridleway actors especially tend to dislike this.

At first, Trixie doesn’t notice. She’s busy doing her show, interacting with some exciting looking fillies. Then, when she takes off her hat to pull something out of it, she sees me. We make eye contact for a moment, and her stage persona falters, just for a second. I can almost see her knees buckle, but she moves past it, and keeps on with the trick. She obviously recognizes me. She does some rather impressive magic, including a trick with her cape and a bunch of birds that I find genuinely impressive. I should tell her that later, as an apology.

She goes on for a few minutes before the symptoms start to set it. She keeps looking back at me. She gets a bit more grandiose with her tricks, trying to break my expression. But I have much more practice in not showing emotion than she does in eliciting it.

To my surprise, however, she makes it through her entire performance. Which is a stark contrast to our last encounter, in which she actually dove off the stage at me.

As she wraps up, I decide to do her the courtesy of a proper round of applause, like the rest of the crowd. It helps that she seems to have mellowed out as a narcissist since I last met her. She disappears behind her curtain as the crowd parts, and I follow a couple of ponies around to the side to say hi to her face to face.

I stand in line for a moment as she signs some pictures and toy hats, until it’s my turn to say hello. I don’t even get a word out before her smile disappears. “Oh look. It’s you again. What exactly has Trixie done to deserve this, again?” she moans.

“Actually, I just wanted to say I really enjoyed that performance. You’re getting better with the crowd, it seems. I really enjoyed that bit with the birds,” I offer, with a smile.

She relaxes a bit. “Thank you. Trixie doesn’t supposed there’s an apology anywhere in there?”

“Pffft, no.”

Trixie sighs. “Well, you can’t win them all. Now, what exactly are you doing in Ponyville?”

“Oh, I work for Twilight now,” I explain.

She blinks. Then blinks again. “OH COME ON!”