• Published 9th Feb 2014
  • 2,073 Views, 12 Comments

The Nightmare Lives On - Draconis187



Rarity has been restless ever since the events of her time as Nightmare Rarity. At her wits' end, she contacts the only one who could possibly help, only to discover a shocking truth.

  • ...
0
 12
 2,073

Nightmares Never Truly Die

The Nightmare Lives On
Nightmares Never Truly Die
Author: Draconis187

“Rarity? Rarity!”

“H-huh?” Sweetie Belle’s high pitched shouting finally got through to her older sister who had fallen asleep in her workroom, her face having found refuge on the desk in a puddle of drool.

The white unicorn fashionista had been caught like this for the third time this week alone, the last place she had fallen asleep being near the base of one of her dummy models.

Her once pristine indigo mane now had multiple split hairs, her eyes suffering from the lack of sleep, evident thanks to the large bags that hung under them and her once sparkling white coat was in a sorry, unkempt state, as if she had not bathed in weeks. In truth, Rarity was unsure when she had last been to the spa with Fluttershy.

“Are you alright, Rarity?” Sweetie Belle asked, concern written in every frowned line on her face as she regarded her older sister.

“I’m fine, Sweetie Belle. Just didn’t get my beauty sleep again…” Rarity replied with a faux smile, trying to alleviate her younger sister’s concerns. “Now, go… ‘crusading’ with your friends. It’s a marvellous day out and you should enjoy it.”

Sweetie Belle was prepared to start an all-out argument but knowing her sister’s stubbornness she wasn’t going to get anything more out of her so for now she admitted defeat. “… Alright…”

Sweetie Belle made a beeline for Carousel Boutique’s open door and vanished into the clear, mid-afternoon day. A perfect day to play with friends… and get tree sap in one’s coat again for the umpteenth time, not even they knew how they managed it. It brought a small smile to her face as her younger sister was so clueless about her special talent despite she practically used it whenever possible.

The smile faded as Ponyville’s rising fashion designer walked up the stairs towards the bathroom and some much needed alone-time. She had an unkempt mane to deal with and a white coat to brush amongst other titbits of personal hygiene to tend to. Her unpolished hooves echoed through her home and business as she strode past her room, her plush bed so welcoming despite its current, unwelcomed occupant.

Rarity’s only pet, the spoilt fat cat Opal was curled up in a tight ball on one of Rarity’s pillows, snoring softly as it lazed the day away which it did everyday of its pampered life.

“Oh Opal, sometimes I wish I could trade my life for yours…” She muttered under her breath. If Opal had heard her master, the rotund cat didn’t show any interest in her complaining as Rarity continued on her way, finally arriving at her bathroom.

The walls of Rarity’s bathroom were specially imported, mother-of-pearl white tiles from across the Prancific Ocean, brought in by the Manehattan Trading Company. They were whiter than she was and shone almost as brightly as Celestia’s sun. It was a wonder Rarity didn’t need Rainbow Dash’s thick, black sunglasses to navigate the room.

A washbasin stood in the corner, the base of it was shaped to look like a seapony: a creature with the top half of a pony and the lower half of a fish, all in a cream colour with silver and gold detailing along the scales of the fish half and the face. The toilet – which was the only thing not overly decorated, save for the same form of silver and gold detailed trimming - was not too far away but what dominated the room was the massive bath.

It would easily hold three ponies in comfort with space for a filly or two with the corners made of pure gold, shaped into a large, rearing stallion with sapphire eyes and silver manes. The manes were hollow and possessed hinges to act as storage compartments for mane, tail and coat care products as well as for various brushes and combs. Because of this size, Sweetie Belle had to be supervised when bathing. Rarity didn’t need another ‘Cutie Mark Crusaders Spa Ponies’ incident.

Above the washbasin was a rather large mirror with a brilliant silver frame, styled to look like cascading ocean waves that Rarity used to make sure she was cleaner than a whistle. The mirror she used for make-up and the like were in her room, sealed inside the drawers of her hoof-carven, mahogany vanity mirror.

With a small burst of magic from her horn, Rarity turned the taps, water pouring into the tub as the plug found the drain and set itself in. Another burst saw the door close itself and lock from the inside. Although if one of her friends wished to enter, Rarity knew most would not find the door to be any real hindrance. Twilight could easily unlock it by utilising her magic; Rainbow would crash in through the window or the door while Pinkie would pop out somewhere. Applejack and Fluttershy would respect her privacy on the other hoof, barring an emergency.

Rarity turned to the mirror above the basin as steam began to fill the room. ‘How in Equestria did I let myself get this way?’ She thought bitterly, the answer already apparent in the forefront of her mind.

Three months had passed since the ‘Nightmare Rarity Incident’ as several tabloid, gossip columns and papers decided to call it. Rarity still had vivid dreams, small snippets of her time as the host to the Nightmare entity, the very malevolent spirit that possessed Princess Luna for over a thousand years.

Sometimes the dreams felt so real that it almost felt like she went back in time to when she was that monster once again. Those dreams usually ended with her waking up in a cold sweat, shrieking like a banshee and waking up Sweetie Belle as a result.

It had even affected her latest fashion line. Her dresses were either a mix of black and purple, or gold with studded gemstones, arranged in a pattern similar to the mutated cutie mark she possessed at the time: her three sapphire coloured diamonds were shaped into blue, four-pointed stars with several smaller, white stars surrounding them.

Once she had realised what she was making, she screamed and tore the line apart, even breaking one of the dummies she used in the process. What she hadn’t noticed until one of her waiting clients came looking for her, worried about the sudden outburst, was that she was crying profusely in a foetal position.

The entity known as the Nightmare only took possession of her as it believed she was the weakest in terms of mental security. Rarity’s insecurities made her too tempting a target and the Nightmare believed that being in possession of her body would render the Elements of Harmony useless since she was the Bearer of Generosity, one of the elements required to defeat it.

The plan was flawed as Nightmare Rarity had not considered one rogue element: Twilight’s dragon assistant, Spike and the bond Rarity and he shared. The purple and green hatchling proved his mettle as he tried time and again to snap Rarity from the Nightmare’s grip. His attempts, valiant as they were, were for naught as the Nightmare refused to give up Rarity’s body without some form of struggle.

But in the end it was the strength of their friendship with one another and Spike’s love for Rarity that set Rarity free from the Nightmare. The army of Nightmare Forces that the Nightmare had following it to aid in the conquest of Equestria had dispersed, returning to the moon with smiles and goodwill towards those that lived on the planet below them that Equestrians called home.

Rarity was overjoyed to be free but things were never the same in since then. Odd thoughts crept their way into her mind, nagging her to commit acts she never would have dreamed of performing. Every so often she would see a small flashback in the middle of the day of herself as Nightmare Rarity, fall asleep again from exhaustion due to lack of sleep brought on by visions of the gothic, dark citadel on the moon, her black coat or her sparkling indigo and white mane.

Rarity’s ears perked up as she heard the bathtub almost get too full, almost running over. She flushed with slight embarrassment for letting her thoughts wander to such a disgraceful point in her life instead of worrying about what would be bringing her relief from it.

A small burst of magic cut off the taps and pulled the plug to remove the excess water. The mist inside the bathroom was almost as thick as fog as it clung to her body, dampening it from horn to hoof. She turned to the mirror so she could see the extent of the damage to her face but noticed it had misted up, unnoticed to Rarity thanks to her wandering thoughts.

She took out a small hoof-towel and wiped the mist away from the mirror using her hoof instead of her magic as she could feel the amount of pressure she was exerting on it and thus avoid cracking the mirror. As she wiped, her eyes grew large, and growing larger still as she saw who was in the reflection.

The hoof-towel fell to the floor as Rarity stood stock still. Her reflection was a unicorn mare, standing a bit taller than she did. The mare’s coat was as dark as the night sky and her blue eyes were shaped like diamonds. The expression on her face was of pure malice, in complete contrast to Rarity’s shell-shocked expression.

“Miss me?” Nightmare Rarity said with a snide smile.

Rarity screamed and ducked under the basin, cowering in fear, her whole body shaking from head to hoof. ‘No! It… it can not be! It’s simply impossible!’ Rarity thought over and over as she held her forehooves over her head, praying this was some sick prank by Pinkie Pie or Rainbow Dash.

A few moments passed in silence and Rarity plucked up the courage to stand again. Her eyes were shut tight as her head faced the mirror. Very slowly she opened them, revealing a distraught, shaking white unicorn with an indigo mane: herself.

Rarity let out a sigh and held a hoof against her face as she looked away from the mirror. “Thank Celestia…”

As she looked back at the mirror, the image had changed again. Nightmare Rarity laughed heartily at the shocked mare. “Sorry, darling. No Celestia here.”

This time Rarity backpedalled, falling square on her rump but she screamed louder than ever. She was wishing with every fibre of her being that she was dreaming; that she was hallucinating on whatever she had for lunch a short while ago, prior to falling asleep and being woken up by Sweetie Belle.

Rarity got up to her hooves again and slinked away from the mirror, to the warm, inviting bath as steam still rose slowly from the water’s surface and prayed it would somehow save her from her fracturing mind. She slowly dipped the tip of her hoof to test the water temperature before climbing in, sinking to her withers and leaving only her neck and head above water.

Rarity sighed deeply, calming down as she simply laid in the water, letting its warm embrace melt away her troubles, her fatigue and her worries. She dunked her head into the water and kept it there for a few moments to allow the water to seep into her coat and mane before picking her head up. The warm water cascaded from her mane, making her move her mane away from her face, her eyes still closed.

“Afraid I’m still here, dear,” Nightmare Rarity’s voice said indignantly. “Oh, and I do not like being ignored. Open your eyes.”

Rarity was hesitant, knowing what she was about to see but she complied if it meant it would get the waking nightmare over with. Looking up at her from the water’s rippling surface, was Nightmare Rarity’s black, disapproving and annoyed face.

Rarity’s body began to shake a bit, causing ripples in the water. Her voice was failing her but she managed to speak the words she needed to in order to ask her question. “W-what do you w-want?”

“Why, dear. You know what I want,” Nightmare Rarity taunted, loving every second of Rarity’s discomfort and terror.

“L-leave me be!” Rarity exclaimed, clamouring out of the water quickly, getting water everywhere on the floor. She slipped and banged her head on the tub.

Her head was pounding in pain but luckily she didn’t crack her skull open, nor did she fall unconscious or damage her horn. Rarity needed serious help. She knew this but who would talk to her about something like this? Any normal psychiatrist would flee if they knew she was talking to and seeing the Nightmare again. Her friends would look at her awkwardly and might no longer see her in the same light anymore. More like a ticking time-bomb just waiting to blow than their friend.

She had doubts about that last thought. They were her friends but they couldn’t help her in this situation. They don’t know what it was like to have her in their head; to have that nagging feeling in her head, trying to turn her into the monster again.

Rarity’s eyes widen as realisation hit home hard and fast. There was one who might know exactly how she felt. The one pony who had dealt with this monster before, for over a thousand years. Rarity found herself facehoofing herself for being so dense and not realising sooner that the one pony that could help her was none other than Princess Luna, the former Nightmare Moon.

She grabbed a few towels with her magic and proceeded to dry her soaked body. If she was going to go meet with the Princess of the Night, she had to look her best. Nightmare Rarity or no Nightmare Rarity.

I should ask Spike to write a letter to her first so she knows I want to speak to her,’ Rarity thought as she exited the bathroom, her coat now mostly dry and a towel around her mane and tail.

Rarity walked into her bedroom and began to prepare herself for the inevitable arrival . She removed her towels after fully drying her mane and tail. Using her magic, she brushed her coat and curled her mane and tail simultaneously a testament to her multitasking skill, all while standing in front of her vanity mirror.

Luckily for her, Nightmare Rarity hadn’t appeared in the mirror but the possibility of her appearing made Rarity on edge. She may have had an aneurism if she kept seeing her in every reflective surface. She hoped that she was the only one capable of seeing the monster, otherwise things could very quickly and easily get out of hoof.

An hour passed as Rarity made herself all prim and proper for her excursion to Golden Oaks Library. She made an extra effort by touching her face up with a bit of make-up, nowhere near the amounts she used at the Young Fliers Competition but enough to accentuate her eyes and lips. Spike had no hope in refusing her.

~~*****~~

It was a fairly ordinary day for Spike. Wake up, make breakfast for Twilight and himself then start his daily chores such as cleaning the library, washing the windows and - the one he actually found the most tedious in all of Equestria - organising the bookcases while Twilight was out. He bitterly pictured her trying out some spell on Pinkie Pie.

The small, purple dragon looked up at one of the imposing bookcases, looming over his small form as if making fun of his diminutive stance like a schoolyard bully.

Spike groaned to nopony in particular as he grabbed the ladder, “Let’s get these books organised… again.”

Spike pulled each book out of its place and into a neat pile as tall as he was, ready for reorganisation once the bookcases were devoid of their contents. In the span of a few hours, the library floor was strewn with neatly piled books, making Spike swell with self-pride.

As Spike was getting the last book, the door to the library opened, making the young dragon look to see who it was. Standing in the threshold of the door was none other than Rarity. Spike’s mouth found the floor before the rest of his body as he lost his footing.

Spike cried out as he landed on top of one of the piles of books, making it fall and made him slide into another pile. The resulting chain reaction resulted in Spike being almost completely buried in books, the only thing Rarity could see was, comically, his tail which stuck out like a small flag.

Rarity simply stood in shock and winced as the events unfolded, finally shaking her head out of her stupor and helping remove the books off the young drake. “Sorry for scaring you, Spike.”

Spike groaned as he sat up, holding the side of his head with a claw, “It’s okay, Rarity. I don’t think a day goes by when I don’t get buried in books.”

Rarity placed her hoof over her mouth as she snickered, “Still… I apologise, darling. Spike, I was hoping you could do a lady a small favour.”

Spike’s eyes widened as he smiled broadly and stood bolt upright, all his pain and whining purged from his mind, “For you, Rarity? Anything.”

Rarity smiled, “Thank you, Spike. I was hoping you could help me send a letter to Princess Luna.”

Spike’s excitement died out in a near instant, replaced with a look of confusion and mild curiosity. “Princess Luna? Why do you want to write a letter to her? You’re not in some kind of trouble are you? Because if yo-”

Spike was cut off as Rarity gently placed her hoof against Spike’s lips, her smile unwavering to help coax the dragon before he had a panic attack. “No no, dear. I simply have a personal matter that only she can help me with but I have no means of contacting her quickly enough.”

Spike nodded his head in understanding before Rarity removed her hoof, “Ok, I gotcha. Just need to go get a quill and parchment. Be right back.”

Rarity became Spike’s whole world as she gently kissed his cheek, making him blush beet red. “Thanks, Spike. I’ll wait down here.”

Spike didn’t hear her, too enthralled by Rarity’s form of showing her appreciation as he seemed to float on air, moving up the stairs to get the aforementioned writing equipment. Rarity took the moment to look at the sorry state the library floor was in.

While she waited, Rarity picked up the fallen books and piled them by thickness and colour, paying no heed to the title as she focused on the books’ aesthetics. Spike’s feet clumsily stepping on the stairs as he descended snapped Rarity out of her ‘help.’

“Here yo-” Spike was once again cut off from finishing his sentence but for an entirely different reason. The books were in order but it was in the wrong kind of order. Normally he’d be upset but since it was Rarity, he simply looked past it as he gathered his thoughts. “Here you go, Rarity.”

Rarity picked up the quill and parchment. Spike even thought to bring a small inkwell for the quill. Rarity beamed happily to Spike. “This is just what I need, Spike. Thank you so much dear.”

Spike nodded his head, smiling back. “Welcome. Want me to write it for you?”

Rarity shook her head slowly. “No, it is quite alright. Like I said: it’s private. Mare talk mostly.”

Spike nodded, “Okay. But it won’t go to Princess Luna straight away. My flame sends it to Princess Celestia first since I send her all of Twilight’s friendship reports. Before I send it, I’ll write near the seal that it is for her sister.”

Rarity nodded in agreement, “My my, aren’t we thoughtful?”

Spike blushed softly, “Nah, just… it’s just what I’d do if I didn’t want Princess Celestia reading my mail. I’m sure she will respect your wish to give the letter to Princess Luna as soon as she can.”

Rarity smiled but as she spoke, she sounded a bit gloomy. “Thank you, Spike. I shall write as quickly as I can, this matter can not be delayed further…”

“Okay, I’ll just be here… organising the books again,” Spike said half-heartedly as he walked to the neatly piled books and read the spines, trying to find which were which.

Rarity only heard the first half of his complaining as she began writing, holding the quill within her magical grip as the parchment laid on the floor and the ink well was a short distance from her so that if it fell, she would have ample time to get out of the way before it besmirched her coat. The last thing she wanted was to see the colour black on any part of her body.

The library fell into near silence as the only sounds came from Spike climbing the ladder, sliding a book in place with a small thud as the book impacted with the back of the bookcase. He wasn’t being too forceful with them, it was just that he knew they were in all the way when it made that noise.

The other noise was Rarity’s scribbling. Her hoofwriting was in impeccable cursive as she wrote to request a private audience with the Princess of the Night and – in essence – the former Nightmare Moon. Every so often Rarity would make a very slight sound, thinking about her next sentence before finishing the current one. Soon though, she had finished and looked to Spike, who was far from finishing.

“Spike, I’m ready to send the letter.” She said, slightly nervous about how Princess Luna might react to her message.

How would she react? Would she be upset, angry, frustrated, or wrathful? Rarity had a small bead of sweat running down her forehead from the worry, praying most of all that Celestia wouldn’t pry and read it. Sure she was a benevolent ruler but she was also Luna’s sister. Who could say if behind closed doors they still find something to do together? Play pranks on one another or pry into their diaries and mail for a laugh? They were still ponies after all.

Spike took the letter as Rarity finished rolling it up, placing the seal on it with a red ribbon. Spike wrote down in a neat scrawl: ‘Re: Princess Luna’ on the right hand side of the seal. He inhaled deeply and breathed a small gout of green flame, smothering the letter and ‘destroying’ it. In truth it was now flying through the air towards Canterlot as smoke and would reform into the scroll upon reaching its recipient, completely undamaged.

“It may take some time before she responds though. She is a busy pony after all,” Spike said, sounding slightly disheartened at the fact Rarity won’t get a speedy response. “And Princess Luna does rule the night so maybe she sleeps during the day unless she has to be awake?”

Rarity simply continued to show the pearly whites of her teeth as she smiled at Spike, “I know they’re busy and the Princess might not reply post-haste but knowing she will receive it is comforting enough.”

In truth, behind the smile Rarity was using to keep up appearances, she was worried. Her earlier fears began to slowly claw their way back into the forefront of her thoughts.

“I’ll be in the boutique if you get a response, Spike.” Rarity said before planting a small kiss on his cheek again. “And thank you oh so much for your assistance. You’re a real gentlecolt.”

Spike blushed lightly and the sides of his mouth curled into a small smile. “Aw shucks. It’s okay, Rarity.”

“And I sincerely appreciate it, Spike. Thanks again,” Rarity said with a smile before turning around and walking out the library.

Spike slowly placed a clawtip to the cheek Rarity kissed, his thoughts drifting far from the library and into his fantasy land where he was kissing her on the lips instead of just the cheek. “Ah… Rarity…”

~~*****~~

As the sun began to set on the horizon, Rarity’s nerves were at their end. Several hours without a response made the unicorn highly nervous. Were the Princesses discussing her ‘situation’ or were they amassing a detachment of guards to capture her before the Nightmare takes control all over again?

The rational part of her mind was trying to come up with plausible reasons for the delay but the more insecure portion of her mind was slowly winning the battle as her mane was getting frazzled and the rest of her appearance was suffering yet again.

To spare her from looking like she did and in case something were to happen to her, Rarity sent Sweetie Belle to Sweet Apple Acres for a slumber party at the Cutie Mare Crusaders’ clubhouse. It was sturdy enough to withstand one night with the trio of rambunctious, inquisitive fillies. Hopefully…

Rarity rubbed her eyes and stayed in her room, under the covers of her bed to avoid seeing any reflective surfaces that could result in another encounter with her, apparently still living, evil alter ego.

The hours rolled by with the only sounds Rarity could hear were that of her own breathing and the sounds of passing ponies. Rarity could feel the daylight vanishing as its warm embrace slowly left her room, making way for the cold chill of the night.

Whether it was a lingering, minute connection to the malevolent spirit that had possessed her or something else, she could feel some form of pull as the night made itself known as stars dotted the clear, evening sky.

At the ground floor of Carousel boutique, a large figure opened the locked door with ease, ignoring the ‘closed’ sign that stood on the windowsill beside the door. It slowly surveyed the room, noticing the odd mess consisting of fabric and gems that had been tossed in the wastebasket. What truly got the figure’s attention were the black and purple colours as well as an assortment of gems it was able to make out.

The figure did not mask its movements as its heavy hooves connected with the floor, making its way to the stairs. Rarity’s ears perked, faintly making out the sounds. At first she believed it to be one of her friends and was surprised she hadn’t seen much of them that day.

Pinkie swung by, literally, and gave Rarity some lovely pecan muffins and almond biscuits. Fluttershy on the other hoof was busy with her animals as usual, Applejack had been dragged along with the Crusaders and was as she put it ‘plum tuckered out.’ She had gotten Big Mac to check up on the fillies’ slumber party.

Twilight had been helping Mayor Mare organising her schedule since she felt like she was running around like a chicken with its head cut off and her advisors were of little help. Fluttershy was almost physically ill when she heard the expression. Finally Rainbow Dash was helping the weather team with some wayward clouds originating from the Everfree Forest. Dealing with the vast majority of the clouds made her believe she deserved a nine hour nap which nopony objected to since she was going to take the nap whether the rest of the weather team consented to it or not.

Rarity soon realised that, as the hooves got to the top landing, it was none of her friends. The hoofsteps were far too heavy to be either of them and sounded like they were clad in metal. Rarity considered her options and carefully got up, her heart beginning to thump hard against her ribcage as she played out several worst-case scenarios that resulted in her untimely demise.

Rarity carefully got out of bed and picked up her lamp with her magic as she stealthily got to the threshold of her closed door. Her heart was beating even harder and she felt a small lump in her throat that refused to go down no matter how hard she swallowed. She would have preferred to have fainted onto her fainting couch but the rational part of her mind said it would only make it worse for her.

The door creaked as it opened, Rarity hiding behind it, lying in wait for the trespasser to walk into the room so she could at least knock it out and flee. If it didn’t work, she had a good life and Sweetie would inherit most of her possessions and wealth while their parents would receive the rest.

Rarity tried her hardest to calm her thoughts and counted in her mind as the figure began to slowly walk in.

One… the figure walked past the door. Given the small glimpse she got, it was definitely not one of her friends and it sure as Tartarus was not Sweetie Belle as it stood too tall and its coat was too dark.

Two… Rarity carefully trotted out from her hiding place and looked to the side to ensure she was still gripping the lamp.

Three… Rarity struck hard against the back of the figure’s head with all she had, breaking the expensive, porcelain lamp that was shaped to look like Sapphire Shores.

“Oof! Ow that hurt…” The figure sounded hurt and grunted, its head shifting a bit from the force.

It turned around to look at Rarity, whose eyes widened immensely and she promptly fainted as she saw the face of Princess Luna looking at her with a confused expression. Sadly Rarity’s fainting couch was nowhere to be seen, making her land on the floor with a dull thump.

~~*****~~

Rarity could feel her consciousness slowly returning as she opened her eyes. Everything was mostly a blur but what dominated her vision was a large, dark blue blot that looked like something a psychiatrist showed on a card to a patient.

Rarity’s ears decided to wake up as well, catching the tail end of the blot’s speech. “… passed out.”

“W-wha?” Rarity’s response was lacking a certain intellect as her mind was still playing catch-up with the rest of her body.

“I said: ‘I came once I read your letter when I woke up to raise the moon and was worried when I noticed the colour scheme of your ruined materials. I came upstairs, seeking you and you proceeded to hit me with a fragile lighting tool. I turned to face you to inquire why you had committed such and act but you passed out.’” Princess Luna came into focus, making Rarity’s eyes almost bulge out of her skull in shock again.

“P-Princess! I’m so sorry! I-I didn’t know it was you!” Rarity was slowly crying as she bowed then got up only to bow again, all in rapid succession. ‘I just assaulted the princess! Now what will become of me? Is the Nightmare taking over again?! Sweet Celestia, please let me be wrong!

Princess Luna shook her head, “It is alright, Rarity. You were in a state of panic and reacted accordingly. I am perfectly fine, although your lamp did not far as well.”

Rarity looked past the princess and saw the colourful, assorted fragments that once made up her bedside lamp. Rarity hung her head, her ears drooping and her mane covering her face in shame for having assaulted the Princess of the Night.

“Rarity, I just said you need not worry about it. Now calm your nerves,” Luna said reassuringly.

Rarity took Luna’s advice and calmed herself down, her nerves still shaken but she was no longer worrying as much as before. Several moments passed in silence as Rarity waited for the inevitable questions that were on her mind.

Luna finally inhaled and spoke slowly, somewhat unsure of how to properly word her question. “How long?”

“How long for… what, Princess?” Rarity asked in slight confusion thanks to the Moon Princess’ vague question.

“For how long has this been occurring?” Luna asked more specifically.

“Well… the restless nights have been happening ever since that dreadful day,” Rarity replied sombrely, “and I’ve only started seeing her in almost every reflective surface today…”

Luna was simply silent as Rarity continued to speak, “she just taunts me and laughs when I panic… but how can I not panic when I see her? Didn’t we get rid of her?”

Luna sighed sadly and sat down on her rump. “In a sense, this is my fault. If I hadn’t created Nightmare Moon in the first place, this never would have happened…

“What is happening to you is kind of hard to explain. You are experiencing this because, while the Nightmare is no longer in control of your body, it is still there inside you. The entity itself brings out one’s stronger, darker side and it uses that to take over your body,” Luna continued to explain, not looking Rarity in the eye. “Even when the conscious entity leaves your body, that side of your body structure as well as small remnants of its personality remains there, hidden and mostly locked away but it is still there.”

Rarity stared at Luna, her mouth agape in horror. “S-so… what are you saying? That I am that monster?”

Luna nodded slowly, still unable to look Rarity in the eye as she hung her head in shame. “Yes, in a sense anyway. Nightmare Rarity still exists, it still lives inside you. Same way Nightmare Moon resides in my own body. I’ve also been experiencing the dark thoughts, seeing her in the odd mirror or two.”

Rarity’s eyes widened further, “w-what? How do you deal with that?”

“I take it day by day and I do not let her unnerve me because it only brings her joy to see me writhe and squirm,” Luna said bitterly, finally looking at rarity, tears in her eyes. “I hoped you would never experience this and after the first month cam and went without a report of you confiding in a friend or a psychiatrist of this, I believed I only experienced it due to the length of time I was the Nightmare.”

“Isn’t there a way to get rid of them?” Rarity asked, hoping there was some good news but when Luna’s brooding expression didn’t fade, her heart sank like a stone.

“No. The only way I think one can permanently remove them is to… end our combined existence,” Luna answered, her tone degrading into a dark, near depressed tone. “I can not bring myself to do it and if I tried, all I would accomplish would be hurting my sister. And there is something else you should know about the Nightmare.”

“W-what is it?” Rarity asked, fearing the answer.

Luna didn’t answer, only lowering her horn as she stood. She closed her eyes and began to concentrate, her horn glowing in its magical aura. Rarity was about to question Luna’s actions but she stopped herself as she noticed something terrifying happen to the Princess’ body.

Her dark blue coat began to darken, her entire body becoming as black as a clear, starless, moonless sky. Her ethereal mane and tail changed, becoming more transparent and resembling a gas-like substance that decided to attach itself to her body. As this was occurring, her bones cracked and some joints popped as her body began to expand slightly, her metal clad shoes cracking and tearing off her body. Even the chestpiece she had on broke off and fell to the ground, joining the shoes.

“P-Princess?” Rarity asked but to no avail, Luna could not hear her as she kept focus on what she was doing.

The next thing to change was Luna’s cutie mark, the black blot the crescent moon overlapped changed colour, becoming dark purple. Luna’s breaths were laboured, small beads of sweat dripping from her brow and falling onto the floor. She raised her head and opened her eyes, making Rarity scream and fall off the side of her bed, hitting the floor behind the bed.

Rarity shakily peered over the side of the bed, peering into the reptilian-like, turquoise eyes of Nightmare Moon. “P-Princess?”

As she began to speak, the voice that came out was Nightmare Moon’s, not Luna’s. “It’s… it’s still me, Rarity. Are you hurt?”

Rarity rubbed her slightly pained rear but shook her head. “Nothing permanent but… what just happened?”

“As I’ve said, the Nightmare brings out your darker half, body and all. But I discovered this not long after I returned and your friends saved me from… this,” Luna replied sadly. “I simply woke up one day and had a small sense of vertigo. I didn’t realise what had happened because my room is pitch black when I wake because I have thick curtains.

“I screamed as I used a small lighting spell and saw my appearance in the mirror. Celestia burst in to find a crying Nightmare Moon on the floor. She didn’t know what to make of it and comforted me once I explained that I was still Luna under all this,” Luna said, sitting down once again.

“B-but why show me this? Is it going to happen to me?” Rarity asked fearfully, still shaking a little.

“I don’t see why it won’t if you have been experiencing what I have,” Luna replied. “But I was still quite shaken by what I saw. I desperately wanted it to be a poor dream and decided all I could do was accept it. Accept her as a part of who I am.”

“When will I… turn?” Rarity asked, fear still gripping her now that she knew that Nightmare Rarity’s body was still there, locked within her own.

“Hard to say but I can help you bring it out,” ‘Luna’ answered as she got up and began to walk around the bed. “I will not force you, nor will she be in control of your body. The only change will be that you will be in her body.”

“Can you not make it so it doesn’t happen?” Rarity inquired helpfully.

The dark alicorn shook her head, “I’m afraid it is never as clear cut as that. If it were, I never would look this way.”

Rarity didn’t respond as she hung her head, sniffing as tears welled up. “So… she’s not gone?”

“Not entirely, Rarity but you are the one in control. Not her,” Luna replied as she placed a black forehoof on Rarity’s shoulder.

Rarity looked at Luna as the changed princess began to change back, closing he eyes as her horn glowed brightly. Her stature became reduced somewhat as her coat became brighter, changing back to their original dark blue hue. Her mane and tail lost their gas-like appearance and returned to their original state. As her cutie mark returned to normal, she opened her eyes, the pupils having returned to their round state.

Luna was panting again slightly as she looked at Rarity again, “It just takes a lot out of you, magic-wise. But I haven’t seen Nightmare Moon as often as I used to since it happened.”

“So if I do that, I won’t see her as often?” Rarity asked with a small glimmer of hope in her eyes.

Luna nodded, “I believe it might if you and I are experiencing the same thing.”

“Then do it, help me do it. If it makes living with this more bearable then I’ll do it,” Rarity said with a firm tone.

“Alright but I will warn you: it may cause quite a bit of discomfort,” Luna replied, giving Rarity a small, reassuring smile. “You need to think about what you looked like as her before we begin. You have to picture her body in your mind’s eye.”

Rarity simply nodded her head in understanding and stood upright, closing her eyes and concentrating – begrudgingly – to think of the body of Nightmare Rarity in her mind’s eye. Luna lowered her head, her horn glowing as the tip of her horn touched the tip of Rarity’s, making a small spark and making Rarity yelp in surprise and discomfort as the shock ran through her body.

“What was that?” Rarity asked, rubbing her horn gently.

“Keep concentrating, Rarity and it should start on its own,” Luna replied flatly.

Rarity nodded and kept concentrating as Luna leaned forward and touched her glowing horn against Rarity’s own horn. Another spark shot through Rarity’s body but this time she didn’t flinch as violently although she did whimper a little.

For a few moments, nothing happened. If anypony were to walk in on them, they would only see two mares closing their eyes and the tips of their horns touching each other. Rarity felt embarrassed and the odd jolt of electricity running through her body. Luna was sweating a little, beads of sweat running down her forehead and falling to the floor. Rarity was facing the same thing as both mares’ breathing was laboured.

“Princess… I am feeling uncomfortably warm. Is that normal?” Rarity asked as she opened an eye to regard Princess Luna.

“Not… sure. Do you feel anything else besides an increase in temperature?” Luna asked back, not opening her eyes.

“No. I just feel very warm,” Rarity replied, a little disappointed as she expected far more than simple – albeit uncomfortable – warmth.

“Do you see her body in your mind?” Luna asked.

Rarity nodded her head, “Yes I am,. I’ve been seeing her all day so it is rather hard to ignore what she looked like.”

As Rarity nodded her head, she noticed something she failed to notice earlier. She was looking directly at Luna, standing at eye level with her. She gasped in shock and backpedalled a little. The heat she was feeling was getting worse as the electrifying feeling she was feeling was increasing in intensity.

She also noticed that Luna’s horn was not touching her own anymore. Realising that Rarity’s horn is no longer in contact with her own and hearing Rarity’s hooves impacting with the floor in a rather random fashion, she opened her eyes and had a front row seat for what was happening to Rarity’s body.

Luna noticed already that Rarity stood as tall as she was and that the seamstress’ horn was still glowing quite brightly as well. Luna sat down and silently watched as Rarity collapsed to the ground, the heat in her body feeling like she had been set alight from within. She felt like her body was on fire, the odd jolt of electricity making a limb or two spasm wildly.

“Rarity, are you alright?” Luna asked, concern written into every line on her face.

Rarity didn’t respond but not through a lack of trying. She desperately wanted to scream, to cry and beg for the pain to stop but she found her voice failed her entirely. She looked like she was having a small fit on the floor as Luna’s eyes widened at what she was seeing. As Luna’s horn glowed to pick Rarity up to take her to the hospital, she noticed Rarity’s coat was a lot more grey than white.

In fact, her coat was growing darker with each passing second as Rarity could feel like somepony was pricking her with a million needles, all over her body. She looked in shock as she noticed her coat become an inky black, the same shade of black as Nightmare Moon, or in her case, Nightmare Rarity.

“It’s working…” Luna muttered under her breath as she simply waited, draping a wing over the changing mare as the transformation continued.

Rarity’s flanks stung as if she had been paddled mercilessly like a disobedient foal. She couldn’t turn her head to see but Luna saw that Rarity’s cutie mark had begun to change as well. Rarity soon felt an immense pain shoot through her horn as it lengthened by a few inches.

The next to change were her mane and tail. They grew in length and gained streaks of white and began to sparkle brightly, almost like Luna’s mane. Rarity desperately wanted to rub her eyes as they changed shape, the irises becoming similar to a reptile’s while the reflections in her eyes were more diamond-shaped.

The burning and the pain subsided as Rarity found her legs but she was panting as if she had just finished taking part in the Running of the Leaves. Her new lanky legs made her ascent to a standing position quite shaky but after a third attempt, she stood. Her mouth was agape as she saw the black coat and her altered mane. Turning her head to see her tail and cutie mark cemented what she already knew: her body was that of Nightmare Rarity.

“How do you feel, Rarity?” Luna asked, looking at the changed mare with concern and worry.

Rarity paused for a moment before speaking but, like her body, her voice had been altered slightly as well, “I’m… I feel fine. Given the circumstances… It just hurt so much as I changed.”

“It hurt me when I changed back after the first change but the pain does diminish in time,” Luna said helpfully. “But I was referring more to your frame of mind.”

“Well, I can not say that this is a welcome sight but if it makes her appearances less frequent then it will be worth it,” Rarity replied. “How long do I have to stay… like this?”

“Well, first see if your reflection responds to you like it did earlier,” Luna answered.

Rarity made her way to the vanity and was not shocked by what stared back at her with a blank expression, the same expression she knew she was giving. There was no doubt in her mind that what stood staring back at her was herself as the monster she once was but now she was the one in complete control.

“So, what now?” Rarity asked, not taking her eyes off her reflection as she saw Nightmare Rarity’s lips move in time with her own.

“That is up to you. How you learn to live with this part of yourself is your choice,” Luna replied in a calm tone as she walked up to Rarity. “Repress this form and try to ignore it or embrace it and accept that – like it or not – this is you.”

Rarity simply sighed, looking down and seeing a lock of her sparkling mane come into view of her thin irises. “I don’t really have a choice, do I?”

Luna shook her head, “I do not think you have many other options…”

Rarity picked her head up and gazed back into her reflection with trepidation, wondering if the Nightmare was just waiting to scare her, make her jump and scream again. Rarity took deep, calming breaths as she waited for her dark half to make her move.

Minutes rolled by in silence as Rarity’s reflection did nothing, it simply copied her like any reflection was supposed to. It didn’t give her a crooked smile, didn’t make an involuntary movement as Rarity continued to see her dark chest move in time with her breathing. Even the dark thoughts that plagued her mind had subsided. She could still hear them in the back of her consciousness but it was manageable, more like a very dull hum rather than a scratching of claws on a chalkboard.

“Anything?” Luna finally asked.

Rarity shook her head, “I don’t hear those uncouth thoughts as much, either.”

Luna smiled warmly and gently placed her wing over Rarity’s black body, “Then it seems the Nightmare is somewhat content.”

“So I have to turn into this again?” Rarity asked, her blue, dagger-like eyes peering into Luna’s round, turquoise ones.

“If you desire your dark side to stop plaguing you, I’m afraid so.” Luna replied. “But I will be here to help you every step of the way, should you desire it.”

Rarity looked back at the mirror and the smile that crept onto the Nightmare’s face was Rarity’s own. “Thank you. Should I inform Twilight and the others of… this?”

Luna looked out the window and saw the calm, cool and limitless night sky as the stars vied to be the brightest one in the clear sky. A small sliver of the moon could be made out near the apex of the window as it tapered to a rounded point.

Luna took a deep breath and spoke, “I have been greatly out of touch due to my banishment. I had no friends on the moon and when I returned to my present state, all the ponies I knew perished of old age. But I have seen the care Twilight Sparkle and her friends have for each other, for you as they did not give up when the Nightmare was in control of you.

“Whether you tell them or not is up to you. But if you did expose this to them, it will make them question if I am dealing with the same dilemma. My sister already knows of my ‘condition’ as she calls it but I never informed her of my concerns about you. I know not how she will take the news when her student writes to her about this should you tell your friends.

“You fear their reaction and that is understandable but remember the trials you six have been put through and remember that they have always stood by you and each other through the darkest times of your days. I do not know what they will say or how they will react but if I have learnt anything is that you do not give them enough credit for how much they support one another as well as you,” Luna said, drawing a deep breath before letting it out slowly.

Rarity smiled a little as she remembered how jubilant Pinkie Pie was and how concerned she was. Concerned enough to give Rarity those baked goods with a smile and without asking for payment, only saying that if it made her smile there was no need for payment. Then she bounced off when Rarity said she gave Pinkie a small smile, wishing the unicorn a good, happy and fun-filled day.

“I suppose you are correct,” Rarity said, gasping very softly as she saw a small tear running down her face. She placed a black hoof under her eye gently wiped the tear away. “They’ve always been supportive and caring.”

Luna removed her wing as she began to walk to the open door, “I am afraid I must depart. I have royal duties to tend to but before I go, how do you feel now about your situation?”

Rarity smiled, her mane sparkling as she felt genuinely happy. “I do believe I shall be fine now. How do I change back though?”

“Simply concentrate on your true self and build up enough magic to act as a catalyst for the change. It will be far easier with your body being in its current state,” Luna replied. “Though I fear you shall experience the same pain as before.”

Rarity nodded her head in understanding, “If it helps lessen the strain of having her in my head, I think I can manage, Princess. And thank you, truly.”

Luna smiled and walked past the threshold of the door. “I believe it is I who must thank you. I half-expected you to despise me for doing this to you but you showed me that ponies of this age are stronger of mind and soul than they used to and that the strength of your friendship is an element stronger than any power in the universe.”

Luna’s hooves banged loudly as she walked down the hall but Rarity turned her attention to her reflection and regarded her dark self, her smile unwavering. “With friends like them, I believe I can get through this.”

Rarity trotted over to her bed and climbed on, resting on her haunches. She took deep breaths and began to picture her white coat in her mind’s eye as she began to build up magic in her horn. But the change did not occur as she did not expect how magically adept her body was as she over-concentrated and fired a small ball of light out the window, making the black unicorn flush with embarrassment.

Praying nopony saw the miniature light show, she tried again but kept a closer eye on her magic. She allowed the magic to slowly build within the base of her horn and slowly let it travel to the tip but refused to release it just yet. In her mind she saw herself; her pristine coat and her rounded eyes while her mane completely indigo and devoid of her current mane’s shine. She made sure not leave out her cutie mark, making sure the one she saw in her mind were the three, blue diamonds instead of the one currently sitting on her flanks.

With a deep breath she let the magic loose on her body and hoped the pain would be somewhat more manageable. She regulated her breathing as she waited for the pain, the burning sensation as she changed but nothing happened, she did not even feel a little warmer. She asked to nopony in particular if she had done something wrong, only to get no answer as she expected.

She rested her head on the pillow and looked to the side to see a ball of white fluff shaking in the corner. Rarity smiled and realised Opal must have gotten frightened of everything that happened as the only thing she could see of her prized cat was its generous rear end.

She desperately wished to comfort her pet but knew that if she tried in her current state, it would only upset her pet further. Rarity turned her attention away from her cat and wiped some sweat off her brow. She was feeling a little warm and hadn’t noticed as she was more concerned about her cat.

At first she ignored the warmth, blaming it on her black coat but it gradually increased and made Rarity realise that she felt hot when she first changed. She kept her breathing regular and prayed it would soon be over as the heat increased until she soon felt as if her blood was literally boiling.

She managed to give a single shout of pain before her vocal chords gave out on her and she kicked at the covers on her bed as her body jerked and convulsed involuntarily. Between the spasms she could see her coat turning greyer with each passing second and felt her heart thumping hard against her chest as if it was trying to burst out of her ribcage.

She felt like she was being crushed under some great weight as her body shortened, starting with her legs. She managed to catch a glimpse of her mane and see one of the white strands of hair change colour as her regular indigo seemed to race along the strand, leaving a non-sparkling indigo in its wake.

Her flanks stung as though a whole nest of wasps were stinging her nonstop and she was sure that meant her cutie mark was returning to normal. She saw that her coat was finally returning to its original white with only a few splotches of grey remaining but they were slowly turning white as if Rarity had been bathing in bleach.

Rarity was panting and sweating enough to fill a small pool but as she shakily got up to her hooves, she was herself instead of the Nightmare version of herself. She nearly collapsed as she slowly got off her bed and walked to Opal’s side.

“Opal, darling. It’s me,” Rarity said in a soothing tone, hoping she could alleviate the cat’s fears.

Opal did not respond but the lazy cat’s body was still breathing as Rarity noted the rise and fall of her fur. Rarity gently pocked her sleeping cat to coax a reaction out of her but to no avail as Opal continued to either ignore Rarity, or sleep. Rarity was none too sure.

Rarity gave a small, defeated sigh and chose to let sleeping cats lie. Instead of getting straight into bed, she opted to look out her window. She got her breathing under control as she opened the window and peered out into Ponyville.

There were a few ponies walking across town, some passing by the boutique whilst others were some distance away. One of the local Pegasi flew past and busted a nearby cloud. Rarity surmised the stallion worked for the weather team and gazed back down at the ground.

A small mewl from within the room grabbed Rarity’s attention and she turned her head quickly to locate the source. Opal had decided to come out of her hiding spot and had been cautiously making her way to her owner. She winced and backed up as Rarity turned and laid down on the ground.

Rarity made a ‘come hither’ gesture in the air, trying to coax Opal to continue her approach. Opal stood stock still for a moment before hesitantly making her way towards her owner. Opal got within hoof’s reach and Rarity slowly lifted one her hooves and petted the spoilt cat very gently.

At first Opal thought she was being assaulted and ducked her head in response at the precise moment the white hoof touched her. But when angry yelling or a magical intervention did not come, she looked up at Rarity to see her smiling down.

Opal eased up and purred as Rarity began to stroke her. While Opal would have preferred to be alone, the events she had to bear witness to had shaken her up and she needed comforting. In truth both owner and pet needed some form of comfort and Opal’s soft purrs alleviated some of Rarity’s worries.

“You know Opal… I think if I do tell them, it wouldn’t affect how they see me as much as I may think. I may not ever be truly rid of her and I may be forced to become her to quell my mind but I believe I can get through it. After all,” Rarity gazed to the vanity and saw her reflection, “I’m the one in control here, not her and if there is one thing that I have learnt about friendship is that no matter what you may have done in the past, your friends will always be there for you to lead you out of the darkness and into the light.”

Author's Note:

I just thought of this on the fly and decided to run with it as well as change my usual break from several asterisks to those tilde and asterisks. It's not my usual chapter/story length but I enjoyed writing every second of this since I do not see that many Nightmare Rarity fics. Critiques, praise, hate and so on are to be done in the comments section. Please if you liked it, tell me where so I know where my strong points are and if you did not like it, also tell me why. If you don't like the character herself tell me anyway. I like to know where my faults are so I can fix them. The tragedy tag is there because this does not have a real happy ending to it and there is no sad because it is not a tear-jerker. If they're wrong, I'll fix them.

Comments ( 12 )

fairly itneresting concept. always had a thoguht that the nightmare force might not ever truly leave.

the descrepency could be more easily solved if we try to think of it as thus. the appearance of the nightmare force cause internal conflict in luna, causing her powers to lessen and her form to waver as it were. she was not quite as strong at first but grew strong neough............ would like to note that nightmare rarity was equally an antagonist and a hostage. more than likely, even weakened luna was far more powerful, but she owuld haven o method that could wound the nightmare force without hurting rarity.

3920554 Thank you for your opinion, I appreciate it. The discrepancy is more of the series of events since Luna spoke Olde Equestrian when she came in at 'Luna Eclipsed.' And as far as the comic goes, it seems to have taken place between seasons 1 and 2 as old Luna as seen in the very first two episodes of the show was present and became the version we now know.

Nightmare Rarity is best Rarity. I love the comics & I have every issue, but I really don't care for Rarity. When she was kidnapped I just shrugged it off, but Nightmare Rarity was pretty cool. I wish Spike would get cool evil powers for like a couple issues, he's my favorite male character & nopony really treats him like they should. Plus, the greed growth thing was cool, but could have been better. I hope he gets wings eventually.

3920856 Well we don't know with canon if Spike will develop wings or not. But that's what the fanon and us writers are for.

Actually the Nightmare Arc takes place somewhere during Season 3 (somewhere after Magic Duel and Wonderbolt Academy), Why I say that?

1. Trixie talks to Luna about how to be forgiven and redemption, The Great and Apologetic Trixie pretty much?

2. Lightning Dust is seen at the Background

So pretty much it, quite interesting story btw, keep up with the work

3922887 And that brings discrepancies again because of Luna's design. Oh well. Thank you anyway for that bit of information and glad you enjoyed it.

The story has an interesting concept that is neatly explored, but I also noticed a lot of sentences with an awkward structure.

You need to do some more editing or get someone else to do it for you. Once that's done, your story will be much better.

4041992 Okay. Thank you for your comment. I sadly don't have anyone to do editing so I do it myself. I'll see if I can not go through it and find the sentences you're talking about.

Can we see a sequel where Twill and the others find out.....

4741580 Possibly. She will have to confide in her friends at some point.

I'd remove the tragedy tag. Quite frankly she is trading away a tiny bit of mental problems for the ability to drastically change her look, and the number of people on the planet who have actually SEEN Nightmare Rarity acting in a villainous fashion is less than 6 or 7 I think? In the long run this is a "throw me in that briar patch" situation for a socialite. Shoot, she could establish two different identities to the public, which could have uses for social climbing.

Even if it is a net loss, I don't think it is all that terrible.

Login or register to comment