• Published 28th May 2012
  • 1,293 Views, 48 Comments

Dark Rites - Sporkbacon



Tragedy strikes Spellflash, she must avenge her family with the help of her friends and her magic.

  • ...
2
 48
 1,293

Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"Shopping!" Ivy suggested enthusiastically. "Really? You want to go shopping...now?" I asked with some disbelief. "Of course!" Ivy grinned. "It's the best time to get stuff. All the deals are going on now. Plus, what a way to introduce you into the Manehatten lifestyle!" She was somehow grinning harder. I could tell that she really wanted to go. Sighing, I said, "Fine. But I don't have any money. So if I see anything I like, you have to buy it for me." Sophie appeared from behind the doorway with a sack of bits. "Nonsense, Spell. Here's 40 bits for you to shop with." I cursed, mentally. I really hated shopping. The only things I liked buying were food and the occasional pieces of jewelry. Every time I went with my mother, I just kind of stood there, aimlessly looking through the stalls or shelves at stuff at I didn't even care for. Still, this might be a good chance to bond with Ivy a little more.

We had just finished a scrumptious dinner that Sophie had crafted through her fine hoofwork and almost scary ability to make everyday foods burst with flavor. Personally, I think she spiked everything. "Come on! We're going to be laaaaaate!" Ivy complained. "But it's already late, Ivy." I offered. "Psh... This isn't late. It's barely past sunset. Let's goooo!" she shouted as she dragged me down the steps to the front of Sophie's store. Bowing my head in defeat, I sighed. "Fine. But if we're going, let me walk by myself." Ivy playfully let me go and stepped across the threshold.

As we came outside, the lights of the city were almost blinding. Ponies were milling about, going from store to store without any care in the world. They were just spending their bits on clothes, food items, and various other materials for their own stores. It appeared that Manehatten had quite a few artisans. Ivy led me through the crowd to a massive line of stalls and buildings. "Here we are! Manehatten City Center!" Ivy told me as she did a dramatic hoof gesture. "Wow. Impressive." I lied. I really wanted to hang out with her, but under my own terms, not this "shopping" nonsense. We don't even wear clothes. Well, at least besides our battle armor.

She essentially dragged me through rows of stalls and merchants selling off their goods. Nothing looked particularly interesting. The bell over the door rang as we stepped through the door of a building which had seen better days. The sign on the front had a huge dress over it as well as a spool of thread and a needle. I had guessed it was a dress shop and my assumption had been confirmed almost instantly as a flamboyant pink maned stallion with a slight French accent greeted us. "Welcome, welcome! I am the master dressmaker of this very shop!" I grumbled, "That's nice." under my breath.

"If there is anything I can help you with, be sure to let me know!" he told us, with a bit more energy than was necessary. "Anyway..." I started after we got out of earshot, "Why are we here?" Ivy snorted, "For dresses, silly." Sighing, I went over to a bench and sat on it, waiting for her to finish picking something out. Occasionally, Ivy would come out from behind a wall of clothes and ask, "Does this one look good on me?" I glanced over and said, "Meh." to most of them. I must have been tired from the battle. Though, I really didn't want her to think that I didn't care about her. However, just being in a clothes store was boring me to a unimaginable extent. Finally, she came out with one and asked, "How about this one?" Expecting another "meh" dress, I lazily looked over, and saw her in a dress that perfectly accented her features. It was as if this dress in particular had been tailor made for her.

She took my breath away. Slowly, I walked towards her and whispered, "You look amazing." I stressed each word, to get my point across. Ivy brought up a hoof and wiped at my mouth. I must have been drooling. Blushing, I bowed my head and walked backwards. She smiled happily and went up to pay the "master dressmaker". Behind the curtain, for some reason, she took off the dress and brought it up to the counter, paid, and we left. "It's disappointing that we couldn't find anything for you..." Ivy said sadly. "Maybe at the next store!" Sighing, I asked how many more stores were on the list to go to. "We have the entire night to shop, Spell. We can do all of them!" I collapsed, grunting.

After I got up, she was gone. Hopefully she thought I was still with her, so I could explore some stuff that I was actually interested in. Casually, I scanned the crowd for books or jewelry that I might want to buy. One merchant was holding a pendant attached to a silver chain. The necklace looked extremely well made. I got closer to take a better look. Gradually, I noticed that the piece hanging off of the chain had small gems set into the metal. It was in the shape of a circle. Inside the circle was what looked like a demon. Narrowing my eyes, I looked closer.

Upon activating my second sight, I noticed that this amulet glowed with demonic energy. There was no way I was letting this fall into anypony else's hooves. I had to have it to protect lives...and, I must admit, wearing it would make me look like a badflank. Sneaking my way through the crowd, I finally got to the front of the merchant. "Greetings, young filly." The older grey unicorn said, "Would you like to browse my wares?" Nodding, I looked through his other pieces of jewelry with my second sight. None of the other ones looked demonic at all. All of the rest were horn rings, other necklaces, vanity bracelets, and other crafted items.

"That one," I said, pointing to the demon necklace. "How much?" The shopkeeper sighed. "As a unicorn, you should notice that this necklace," he explained as he took it from it's stand. "Is a magical item. It has been enchanted with some," he leaned in close to me, "Dark energies." he finished, looking grim. Shrugging ignorantly, I said, "Oh really? Do you have any proof?" Nodding, the shopkeeper brought his horn to the amulet and it glowed a familiar black and red. "Impressive." I said, convincingly. Truthfully, I was just trying to play stupid to try and weasel him out of making me pay too much for it. Hell, I only had 40 bits.

"Alright, I'm convinced. How much do you want for it?" He looked thoughtful for a moment. "One hundred bits." he said flatly. "I don't have that kind of money. Why is it so expensive?" Sighing, he said, "Do you know how much this goes for on "other" markets? I'm only selling it here to get rid of it. But, I'm going to make a profit. Now, one-hundred twenty bits, and that's my final offer." Shocked, I fumbled my words, "B-b-but I need that amulet! Also, did you just raise the price?" Shrugging and giving me a look, he said, "Demand suddenly skyrocketed."

"I'll tell you what," he started, "Since you look like a nice girl, I'll take all the bits you have, and you can come with me into my back room. We can negotiate things back there." Honestly, I wasn't stupid. Though, I did have a plan. Feigning ignorance, once again, I agreed. I knew EXACTLY what he wanted to do with me. My assumptions were kind of punctuated when he put up a "be back in 5 minutes" sign over his stuff. A little nervous, I walked with him back to his place. He got there first, opened the door and let me inside first, likely on purpose. I sensed a pair of eyes watching my flanks. "So, what's your name?" he asked, as he walked to his kitchen. "Spellflash Darkheart." I said, with a hint of nervousness, letting just a little out so he would think I'm "caught".

While he was distracted, I conjured up a spell circle in my mind and set it under the couch cushion I expected him to sit on. "That's a nice name..." He said, trailing off. "Drinks are almost ready." he told me as I sat on his disgusting looking couch. This gave me a good chance to scope out my surroundings. Everything looked shabby, dirty, and mistreated. For being a merchant, he didn't know how to haggle on goods he bought. Well, either that or he was just a bad home owner. "I didn't ask for a drink, though." I told him. "When you invite someone into your house, you offer them a drink. It's natural for the host to cater to their guest." he almost growled at the end of his explanation. I could tell he was getting excited in the anticipation of my...ahem..."extra payment".

I forced myself to be calm as he came through the kitchen door, carrying a tray with two cups of similarly colored beverages in his sickly green colored magic. He set the tray onto his coffee table and his magic aura disappeared. The shopkeeper breathed harshly out of his nose as he sat. Suddenly, before he touched the cushion, he paused, briefly and sat on the one closer to me. I mentally cursed again. So, I've got a large unicorn stallion that can sense magic to deal with. There was no way out now. If I used magic again, he would see my horn glow and overpower me then. Simply put, I was scre-No... No. Wrong word.

"So, nice bracelets you've got there. They look really expensive. Perhaps we can come to an agreement. I'll trade you the medallion for those." His voice was like poisoned honey. It oozed persuasiveness and vile intentions. "No can do. My dad gave these to me. I keep them to honor his memory. They're really important to me. Sorry." I said, shrinking back into the musty couch. "Awww, that's too bad. You know, I've got something else in mind." he breathed at me. His face was about three hooves away from my muzzle. Just close enough to feel and smell his nasty hot breath on my snout. It made me shiver with...excitement? My captor's dark eyes were half-lidded, his smile curved up just barely in a half-seductive half-wicked smile, and his nostrils were flaring. I could feel myself getting more detached and less in control of my body. I squirmed uncontrollably in ecstasy and kicked the tray from the table, knocking the contents onto the floor and staining it darkly.

He looked away for a brief second and I felt the control rush back into me. This was the moment I needed. With a quick thought, I simultaneously scooted the circle under his current seat and switched on my second sight. I looked at this pony in a new light. Instead of magic flowing through his veins, there was a darkened aura around it. In the center of his body, a dark and angry looking claw closed around his heart. The shopkeeper was being possessed! Unfortunately, I didn't know who was in control, so I couldn't just banish him. As he went to get up to contain the mess, my spell triggered and held him in his tracks. "WHAT! What is this!?" he called out.

The spell I had used on him was just a basic prison circle, but if he was a puppet of one of the remaining Primary Demons, it wouldn't last long until I knew his name, at least. Seeing that this stallion was possessed made me feel a bit better. It would explain how he gotten his hooves on a demonic artifact. Slowly, his voice changed to a deeper and darker tone, "Spellflash Darkheart! You will pay for this treachery with your life!" I knew this voice. He had invaded my mind and spread lies about the intents of my uncle. It was Deceit-Spreader for sure. Upon knowing this, I put cleanse and Deceit-Spreader's name into my circle and released the extra energy into it.

"GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" The voice wailed as it slowly faded away. An ebony mist flowed out of his eyes, nostrils and mouth then vanished. Suddenly, the stallion in front of me shuddered and vomited onto the floor. I felt for him, even if he was about to do things to me that would have scarred me for the rest of my life. Again, knowing he was possessed repressed the feelings of hatred I felt for him. After he had emptied his stomach, he said, "I'm so sorry. I wasn't in control. That...thing was making me do things I never wanted to do." He was practically sobbing. This stallion was so different from what I had thought he was like. Probably still a merchant, but no where near as persuasive and diabolical as the Primary of Lies.

"It's not your fault. I forgive you." I said, slowly. "However, I still need that pendant from you, and I still only have forty b-" He cut me off, saying, "No, just take it. You saved me from that...monster. I don't want to be put through that torture again." Feeling it was appropriate, I dropped my spell and gave him a hug. He sobbed into my mane until his ragged breaths were returning to normal. "Thank you. I don't know what else to say and I'm not going to ask how you did it, but I really appreciate you helping me." I smiled and said, "No problem. But, to tell you the truth, I'm a Demon Hunter. I rid our fair Equestria by banishing and slaying demons that intend to cause harm to the citizens of this nation. You were possessed by one of the most powerful demons in existence. But, he's gone now." As I explained myself, his expression went from gratitude, to shock, to confusion, then finally to relief.

"I don't care, as long as it's gone. Is there any way to be sure?" Nodding, I turned on my second sight and looked into his aura. The claw that was gripping his heart slowly released it's hold and faded away, leaving his own magic to flow freely through his veins. "Yep, you're good." I said with my happiest smile. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to clean up around here. He didn't let me keep up on maintaining my house." he told me as he escorted me outside and gave me the amulet. As he closed the door, he called out, "Thanks again!"

Taking the necklace in my hoof I brought it up to eye level and put it on. Small amounts of demonic energy flowed into my body and got absorbed into my magic reserves. I felt a surge of power flow through my veins as the necklace touched my coat. Before the pendant released too much energy into my body, I purged the demonic aura out of it, in case there was something that wanted to possess me. Flexing my limbs, I adjusted myself to my new power. It wasn't much, but having more demon-tinged magic flowing through me took a bit of getting used to.

I stole a look at the pendant as I felt the last bit of power flow into me. The rubies set into the eyes of the demon were dark and dull and I sensed no magical properties about it. Confused, I fed some power into it until the eyes glowed bright red once again. Feeling slightly drained, I decided to go find Ivy. The cold steel enchanted with my magic rested against my chest and I felt somehow reassured as I braved the crowds to find her.

After about twenty minutes of looking for her, I found her talking to some random vendor. The mare at the stall was selling ice cream. Ivy had bought one for me and was looking around for me. I had remembered that before we fought the Blood Diamond Dogs, that we had wanted to get ice cream together. She finally spotted me and motioned for me to head over to her. As I neared, she offered me one of the cones. I grasped it in my magic and took an experimental lick. It was amazing, just as she was in that dress earlier. My head filled with thoughts of her with that gorgeous dress on again, but before I could see her for more than a few seconds, I snapped back to reality.

"Spell? Equestria to Spellflash?" She clicked her tongue and waved a hoof in front of my eyes to get my attention. I backed up, shook my head and blushed slightly. "Sorry, I was just thinking about something." I said, before gesturing to go back to Sophie's. "About what? Oh, speaking of which...Where were you? You just disappeared after we left that store. Oooooh! Nice necklace! What's it do?!" Ivy had more energy than I thought she should have. I sighed and said, "I'll tell you later. I need to sleep." After we got back to my aunt's, we finished our ice cream and went to bed, with mostly her talking about everything she bought, with me barely listening through the haze of tiredness. At some point, I fell asleep.

The next morning, I awoke with Celestia's sun shining on my face. I blinked away the light and accidentally rolled over on top of Ivy. "Well, hello there." Ivy slurred, half-asleep. Blushing, I rolled back over and got off the bed, stretching after I had gotten my bearings. "So where did you get that thing?" Ivy asked, gesturing at my throat and my new piece of jewelry. Then I had told her about me losing her in the crowd and looking around for anything I'd like to buy from the stalls. Next, I told her about the creepy stallion and how he had almost had his way with me, but was actually possessed by a Primary. Finally, I told her about how he was so grateful I released him, that he gave me the pendant for free. Pausing briefly, I took this moment to bring up the pendant in my hooves and showed her how I could use it as a magic battery. Throughout the whole story, she sat there, almost unblinking, absorbing the information of my tale.

"Damn." She said, bluntly. Honestly, I agreed with her. We both used the bathroom and made our way to the kitchen, where Sophie was already up and cheerful as ever. She had already made us each a bowl of oatmeal with fruit arranged delicately on the top. I was already planning out how I'd break the news to Sophie. I needed to move on now that Manehatten's demon problem was taken care of. However, she beat me to the punch. "I think our time together was wonderful. Your father would be proud of you, Spell. I know you will become a great Hunter in no time." She said, before she took a bite of her breakfast. We were already digging in by the time she had said anything. "What do you mean? Do you want us to go?" I asked, confused. "No, of course not. I just think it's time for you to move on to other places that need your help. Manehatten is pretty much saved, thanks to you." She ended her sentence with a wink.

"After breakfast, we should go brave the world. Just walk around aimlessly until we find someone that needs our help. Sound good, Ivy?" Ivy nodded and said through a mouthful of oatmeal, "Yes ma'am." Sophie nodded and said, "So it's settled. I'll make you both some meals for your journeys. You should go to Ivy's and pack up so she don't leave anything behind." We both nodded as we finished our bowls and set them in the sink. Sophie got to work cooking meals for the next couple days as we left her shop, on our way to Ivy's house.

Shortly after, we arrived at her store. She was smiling happily, though tears were flowing from her eyes. "What's wrong?" I said to her. Ivy wiped at her eyes as she looked at the storefront. "I'm going to miss this place. I've been here and sold potions to ponies for years. Give me a couple minutes to get ready and I'll be back to head out." I nodded and sat on her porch furniture. About ten minutes later, she appeared in the doorway, looking prepared for the apocalypse. She was armed to the teeth with all sorts of potions, vials, and pouches of herbs. Still inside, she pulled out a sign that said "Store closed indefinitely. Be back some time!"

It was almost like she knew she was going and had made the sign before she even knew me. She must have been waiting to get out of here for some time. Maybe she needed a reason to leave her family's home and I had just given it to her. "Well, ready to go?" She asked, after looking at her house once more. I nodded as we turned to face the road ahead of us.

There was a small shape coming over the horizon. It was getting closer. We both looked to each other and nodded. I took a combative stance next to Ivy as we charged forward to this new foe. As we neared, we found out that it was not a demon, or Blood Diamond Dog, or anything. It was a male buffalo. He was badly wounded and being chased by many lesser demons."Lesser demons... In broad daylight?" I asked Ivy. She looked thoughtful for a moment. "Maybe they're getting angry that you keep killing them, so they're becoming more brave?" she offered. I shrugged. It made sense, but I was still a little cautious to engage them. We were on the outskirts of town. There were several paths that led out of Manehatten and we were on the one that led straight to the plains of mid-west Equestria, where the buffalo lived. The buffalo was still getting chased as he got close enough for us to show us distinguishing features.

His body was tattooed with tribal symbols. He was a light brown in color and he had a scar across his snout, going from under his left eye, diagonally to the right side of his face, ending just before his mouth. Large sacks of unknown material hung from his back and sides. The lack of fear in his eyes made me hesitate. If he wasn't scared, why was he running towards us? Was he showing off for us? I told Ivy this and she shrugged. We would have to wait and see.

"Morning, ladies!" he shouted. "Watch this!" he said, casually. Ivy and I dropped our battle stances, and watched him. He promptly turned around and appeared to focus. After which, all the demons that were chasing him started to stab him and impale him, then he fell to the ground, dead and making a puddle of blood on the road. Ivy whistled, "Wow. Impressive." I nodded in agreement. Suddenly, one of the demons in the back started to shoot his friends and then shoot himself in the head with his crossbow. Shortly after, the buffalo's body got up, dusted itself off, absorbed the blood back into it's wounds, and walked toward us, completely healed.

"Hello, my name is Baine."

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment