• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 32,328 Views, 2,612 Comments

My Overbearing Aunt - Sketchy Changeling



It's tough being an art school student AND having to live with Princess Celestia. This is my story.

  • ...
133
 2,612
 32,328

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2: The First Day

This was it. It was the day I had been waiting for since junior year of high school. My first day at Canterlot University for the Arts. I had planned on going there by myself, but Auntie Celeste insisted on seeing me off on my first day of college. She even said that she’d have me dropped off in her best carriage (which had some modern modifications thanks to the integration of human technology), but I convinced her to just use a normal carriage, reminding her that I didn’t want to attract attention to myself. I was even lucky enough to get her to agree to disguise herself should anypony see her.

I prefer not to make a scene.

We were in the carriage, Celeste was disguised as a regular unicorn thanks to a transformation spell, and when we finally pulled up to the university’s main entrance, I was taken aback by how the place looked.

It was WAY better than the ads.

First off, the outdoor areas of the campus were pristine, with artistically cut hedges that lined the concrete pathway from the main entrance. There were small outdoor lounge areas scattered across the lawn, and they looked like they were pulled off the set of a fantasy movie. The buildings were tall and shined in the sunlight, and they gave of a welcoming vibe.

To put it short and simple, it was like going to school in a museum.

As I was admiring the campus, Auntie Celeste started to get teary-eyed “This is it, your first day of college. I’m so proud of you, Marcus,” she blubbered.

“Thanks, Auntie,” I said as I got ready to leave the carriage.

*Ahem!*

“What?”

“You’re not going to give Auntie a goodbye kiss?”

Was she serious? Was she really serious?

I sighed and turned around, but the moment I did that, I heard our driver snickering a little. Then, something outside caught my eye. I looked out the window and saw two pegasi near a carriage of their own. They appeared to be a mother and son from what I was seeing.

“Come on, mom!” the son complained. “Quit it!”

“But I just want to give my handsome son a goodbye kiss!” the mother insisted. “Is that so wrong?”

“It is when we’re in public!” the son argued. “It’s embarrassing.”

I looked back at Celeste, who seemed to be oblivious to what was going on outside, still waiting on her goodbye kiss, but I started to have second thoughts. It’d be embarrassing to be giving goodbye kisses when I’m going to college. What if somepony saw me? Then I’d be known as that human kid that kisses his auntie! I didn’t want to be labeled on my first day!

“Uh, you know what, Auntie… I need to hurry on out. I’m gonna be late for my first class.” I lied.

Celeste looked surprised and disappointed at the same time. “Oh, well don’t let me keep you here, then,” she conceded. “I’ll expect you to make up the deficit later, though!”

“Yeah, sure,” I muttered, hoping that she’d forget by the time I got home.

I know what you’re all thinking. “Damn, Marcus. That’s cold. Why did you just leave your aunt like that?”

Well, I just didn’t want to be embarrassed on my first day, okay? Auntie Celeste always tended to baby me, and I couldn’t have her doing that now of all times.

With that rationalization in mind, I headed into the main campus. In contrast to what I said to Auntie Celeste earlier, I wasn’t going to be late for my first class at all. In fact, my first class wasn’t for another forty-five minutes, and I planned on using that time to explore the campus a little. As I walked, though. I noticed something, or rather, somepony, that was not too far from me.

It was a unicorn mare that was carrying a ton of bags. She was probably a new student heading to her dorm room. She was wearing a white buttoned blouse with black skinny jeans. The massive amount of luggage she had seemed to be a heavy load, even with the assistance of unicorn magic, so I decided to go help her.

When I got to the mare, I was able to get a good look at her appearance beyond just what she was wearing. She had a coat of white with a greyish tint to it; her mane and tail were a moderate indigo color and were styled in elegant curls, and her eyes were a pleasant azure color.

As for her body, she definitely had a nice figure. Her breasts were pretty big, not as big as Luna’s but-

Wait… why am I comparing her to Luna!?

Anyway, back to what I was saying. It wasn’t the mare’s top half that stood out to me, it was her lower half, particularly her hips. They definitely didn’t tell any lies. I mean, those were childbearing hips, for God’s sake!

“Can I help you?” the mare asked politely, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Oh, actually, I was going to ask you that,” I answered. “You seem to be carrying a lot of bags there.”

The mare sighed with relief and smiled. “Why, thank you, darling,” she said gratefully. “I was worried that I would have to carry all these bags by myself.”

“It’s a good thing I came along, then,” I chuckled.

“I suppose chivalry isn’t dead, then,” she said as she offered her hand. “My name is Rarity. And you?”

“Marcus,” I answered. “Marcus Cortez. So, where are you headed?”

“Acrylic Hall, Room 116,” said Rarity.

With that, we started on our way to Rarity’s room, shooting the breeze along the way.

“So, Cortez, huh?” she pondered. “That’s a Spanish name if I’m not mistaken.”

I was taken aback by her knowledge of human name origins. Had she been to the human world before? “You’re right,” I tell her. “My grandparents are originally from Spain.”

Rarity’s face brightened the moment she heard that. “Really?” she asked excitedly. “Oh, I’ve always wanted to go to Spain! It’s such a beautiful country, and it’s one of the fashion capitals of the human world! Have you ever been there?”

“Only once,” I recollected. “My parents took me there to see my grandparents, but I was a little kid at the time, so I don’t really remember it.”

“Oh, I’d love to get the chance to go there,” Rarity swooned. “The locales and the culture could give me inspiration for my fashion line.”

“You’re a fashion major?”

“Why, yes,” the mare said proudly. “I’ve been designing clothes since I was a filly. However, while I am a professional at my craft, I think that a formal education will take me to the next level.”

This mare was a professional? But she looked no older than me!

“Wow,” I uttered in admiration. “I guess this school really is for the best of the best.”

“That’s what it says on the brochure at least,” Rarity joked, “but enough about me, darling. What’s your major?”

“I’m majoring in cartooning, or ‘Sequential Art’ if you want to use formal terms,” I told her. “I plan on being a comic book artist. Compared to your major, though, mine seems a little silly, huh?”

“Not at all. I think that all forms of art serve a purpose. While I may not be a comic book aficionado, I appreciate it as a form of media.”

“You’re a pretty open-minded mare,” I complimented. I meant it, too. Rarity seemed to be a pretty interesting pony. If I had to compare her to a well-known human, the first one that would come to mind would be Audrey Hepburn. After several minutes of walking, we finally got to Rarity’s room.

“Thanks again for helping me with my things darling,” she thanked. “I’m sure you’ll want to head to your room and unpack your things before your first class starts.”

“Actually, I live off-campus, so I wasn’t in any rush,” I explained.

“Really?” Rarity asked. “Lucky you. If I had family in Canterlot, I’d live with them instead of having to pay for housing. The only drawback is that there’s that nagging feeling that you’re being a burden.”

“I get what you mean,” I agreed, “but I don’t worry about it much. I live with my aunt, and she practically insisted on me crashing at her place.”

“That’s quite generous of her. Your aunt must be a nice lady.”

“You have no idea,” I thought.

“Well, I’d better get settled in,” Rarity said as she used her key to open the door to the room. To our surprise we found that somepony was already occupying it. She was an earth mare, and she looked like she was in the middle of a book when we opened the door. Her gaze immediately shifted towards Rarity and me, and she sighed softly. She put her tome aside and stood up to greet us.

“Hello,” she said.

“Hello,” Rarity and I replied in unison.

I took a good look at this mare as she approached us. She was taller than me by just a little, and she had a grey coat with a mane and tail of a darker grey. She was wearing white short-sleeved buttoned shirt with a black tie; the shirt hugged tightly against her body, highlighting her ample bust.

What size were they? Fuck if I know. I don’t know about bra sizes.

If I had to make a guess, though, I would have to say… D? Sure, let’s go with D. Moving on!

The mare was also wearing a pair of black slacks to round out her ensemble. She looked at us with her greyish-purple eyes and smiled. She then looked at Rarity’s things, then back at Rarity.

“You must be my new roommate,” she said. “My name is Octavia Melody.”

“My name is Rarity,” the unicorn said, and then she gestured towards me. “This is my friend, Marcus.” I nodded my head as I was introduced.

“It’s a pleasure to meet the both of you. Come in, won’t you?”

Octavia led us inside the room, which was surprisingly spacious. There was enough room for two twin-size beds, a dresser for each occupant, a decent sized TV, a coffee table, and a work desk.

“Damn,” I uttered in awe. “You guys have it good.”

“I suppose it is quite cozy,” Octavia chuckled modestly. “I’ve lived in this room for two years, and it hasn’t lost its charm.”

“Hang on; you’re a third-year?” Rarity asked in surprise.

The earth mare nodded her head. “CUFTA likes to put students in different years in the same room sometimes. They say it’s a great way to learn from an upperclassman without having to awkwardly approach them outside of the dorm setting.”

“Clever,” I commented.

“I was wondering who would be my new roommate since my last one is taking part in the Study Abroad program in Saddle Arabia. She wanted to be exposed to different styles of music.”

“So you’re both music majors,” I surmised.

“What made you guess that I was one?”

I pointed towards the large cello that was resting on Octavia’s bed.

“Ah, yes. I see how that would be an obvious sign,” the mare chuckled. “So what are your majors?”

“Fashion,” Rarity answered proudly.

“Sequential Art,” I answered almost as proudly.

“I see,” said Octavia. “In that case, you two will probably have some classes together.”

“How do you figure that?” I asked.

“At CUFTA, much like a lot of other art schools, you spend your first year taking basic foundation courses based on your selected major, and then you take more concentrated courses from your second year onward. Your majors share several foundation courses with each other. For example, Rarity, what’s your first class?”

The unicorn took a folded piece of paper out of her pocket and unfolded it. After scanning it for a bit, she said “Drawing 101.”

“That’s my first class, too,” I said.

“See what I mean?” Octavia asked. “Both of your majors have to do with drawing and design, which means that you have the same foundation courses.”

“Interesting,” said Rarity. “You seem to know this school inside and out, Octavia. I’m glad I have you as my roommate.”

“The pleasure is mine,” the earth mare said.

Since Rarity and I still had about a half hour until our first class, we stayed in her and Octavia’s room for a while and started chatting. One of the things we discussed was where we currently stood in our career paths.

Rarity was already establishing herself as a fashion designer, having her creations featured in Canterlot fashion shows and worn by celebrities.

Octavia was already playing concerts across central Equestria, having performed with her ensemble at the Grand Galloping Gala two years ago.

As for me… I didn’t have much professional experience under my belt. Hell, the only accomplishment I had that was worth mentioning was that I won an award for my artwork once.

“Really?” Octavia asked, intrigued. “What award was it?”

“Nothing major,” I answered modestly. “It was the San Diego Young Artist Award for Best Comic.”

“Don’t feel so embarrassed, darling,” Rarity assured. “We all start somewhere.”

Could you blame me, though? I mean, here I was talking to two semi-famous ponies about accomplishments when I barely had any. Is it any wonder why I started to have an inferiority complex?

Putting my lack of experience aside, it was almost scary how much we all had in common, despite the fact that our careers were going in different directions. Inevitably, though, our conversation had to come to an end; Rarity and I had a class in fifteen minutes.

As Rarity and I figured out earlier, our first class was Drawing 101. I was surprised at how small the class was; there were only about fifteen students including Rarity and me. On top of that, I was the only human in the class, too, but the fact that I had a friend like Rarity with me helped to ease my nerves. Since it was the first class, all we did was introduce ourselves and share some of our work.

How did I compare to the rest of the class? Well, I can’t really answer that. Since we were all in varying majors, our styles were all so different that you couldn’t really compare them.

I don’t mean to sound clichéd, but it was like apples and oranges.

My next class, which was at one in the afternoon, was History of Cartooning. My gut reaction when I first heard of this class was “Really? There’s a class for that?” My teacher seemed cool enough. He had plush dolls of various fictional characters from different time periods on his desk. Some were even from the human world. Again, I was the only human in the class, but it didn’t bother me too much.

After that, I was done with my classes for the day, and when I went to the student lounge to get a soda, I ran into Rarity and Octavia again.

“Marcus!” the unicorn called out. “Good to see you again! Say, I forgot to ask you this earlier, but would you like to exchange numbers with me and Octavia so we can keep in touch?”

“Sure, why not?” I accepted as I took my phone out of my pocket. The two mares and I exchanged our numbers, and I said my goodbyes as I headed back to Canterlot Castle. I opted to take a taxi carriage instead of calling for the Royal Guard to pick me up.

Like I said, I prefer not to make a scene.

By the time I got home, it was half past four, and I felt like going straight to my room and relaxing.

Of course, things don’t always turn out the way you plan them to.

“Marcus!” Auntie Celeste cheered as she appeared out of nowhere and gave me a bear hug. “You’re home! How was your first day?”

“It was great, Auntie,” I answered, struggling against her stallion-like grip.

Seriously, did she work out, or something?

Celeste walked with me to my room, and I told her about my day as we did so. “So you got your lay of the land around campus and you met two nice mares,” she said, and then her ear twitched, which usually happened when she remembered something important. She leaned into my ear and spoke quietly. “Speaking of nice mares, one of the guards told me that one of the maids fancies humans. I could put in a good word for you if you want. Maybe make her your private attendant?”

“Uhh… thanks, but no thanks,” I nervously declined. “The maids are cute, and all, but they’re all at least eight years older than me.”

“Oh come now, Marcus,” Celeste insisted. “Age is nothing but a number.”

“Easy for you to say,” I retorted. “You’re over a thousand years old.”

We finally reached my room, and just as I was about to open my door, I was grabbed from behind and pulled back to Auntie Celeste, trapped in yet another hug. She then planted a kiss on my cheek and said “That’s for this morning!” before releasing me and walking off.

I raised my sleeve to my cheek while her back was turned, but before I could do anything she said “Don’t you dare wipe it off!”

I gave an exasperated sigh and went into my room to call my parents and tell them about my first day.

Author's Note:

And another chapter is done! So, the mare that I hinted at in the sneak preview turned out to be Rarity. Congratulations to Educated Duck for guessing it. Your prize is bragging rights! Anyway, let me know what you thought of this chapter in the comments, as always, and look out for the next chapter!

PreviousChapters Next