• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 930 Views, 17 Comments

Risen Earth - PonyTom



An Earth Pony Revolution has changed Equestria. With her friends scattered and her world shattered, can Twilight save what remains?

  • ...
2
 17
 930

Chapter 11: Causes

They're being aweful quiet as of late.

I had no illusion that taking part in the investigation of the recent chaos in Ponyville would bring about immediate changes and betterment, but I can't help but feel something is amiss. While I see some of the Earthen Alliance ponies wandering about sometimes, they're not standing on boxes anymore, shouting their honeyed words belying twisted ideals.

With the help of the mayor, I've learned a few interesting things. The pony who was found dead was one 'Silverstreak', a unicorn private eye. He had taken it upon himself to figure out what was going on, and found a lot of information. Unfortunately, the data he collected was considered strained and foolish, and he was disregarded as a paranoid. I've been given access to it and what I found was... disturbing.

He tells of conspiracy; that what he has found shows that the Alliance has been working in Canterlot to occupy the princess while they do something to meet some unknown ends. He also wrote extensively of 'earth pony technology, driven by a need to defeat magic and overpower their enemies.' His notes talk about crystals that have an effect on the arcane energy within their area when charged with electricity, and barrels that ejected bullets at high velocity. According to some unknown sources (whom he simply calls 'Underhooves') he's learned that multiple members of the Apple and Rich families are high-ranking members of this group. Applejack will not be happy to hear this...

On the night he was found murdered, he wrote one last journal entry, stating that they were planning something big, that they were distracting Celestia to move in secret, and that he had found a list of important names; a list that, if Celestia got a hold of it, would mean ending their plans before they could become a problem, but he says no more.

The list was nowhere to be found, unfortunately.

His home was trashed, so I don't know if there was anything else, or if the mayor is still holding out on me; after all, I'm not acting royalty, so my authority is quite limited, and what little she did give me is more of a kindness than a responsibility.

I'm going to find out what's going on, even if it kills me.

From the journal of former princess, Twilight Sparkle
Five days before the Ponyville Incident

**************

You would think that after finding out that I didn't get Big Mac killed, and finding kinship in somepony, that I'd be able to get a good night's sleep. But I sat in my bed, staring at the ceiling, wondering why I couldn't. I had kept my eyes shut for an entire hour before realizing it wasn't happening just yet, and I lay there, contemplating potentially just getting up and getting a glass of milk.

I had a lot on my mind I guess. Meeting old friends... finding answers to things I didn't know were bothering me... I guess it was starting to catch up to me. After three and a half years of not knowing, I guess it was a relief. Still, I figured with so much weight off me, sleeping should come easily. I sat myself up from my bed, and made my way from the room. The house we were staying in was quite nice; it wasn't as large as Pinkie's mansion, and a bit more on the practical side, but it was no less comfortable (okay, so I might have liked it more if it had a personal library). I made my way to the kitchen, and opened the fridge, pulling from it a carton of milk. Using magic, I pulled a glass from the cupboard and poured the lovely white liquid into the clear cylindrical container, setting the carton back in it's place and closing the door.

I took a seat, and took a healthy drink. It was quite nice, I had to admit. So, I sat there, taking occasional sips, pondering all I had been through in recent days. I was all but joined into a resistance group, and I was meeting ponies I hadn't seen in years; friends who, to this day meant a lot to me. It was nice, but at the same time quite terrifying; was I actually doing this? Was I going into the heart of madness, potentially turning myself into an asset of war? It was then I began wondering if I was doing the right thing. Was there anything else I could do? Sure, Rainbow told me it was either them or nothing, but she had started a resistance group; who says I couldn't? Of course, she also confessed to their group being forged from a series of smaller groups that had assimilated into it.

Perhaps I could do that? Join the group and then either try to steer it along a new path, or use it as a means to build upon my own? I mean no ill will towards Rainbow Dash, but I'm still not one hundred percent convinced there isn't a better way to go about this struggle. Still, it's not like I had a lot of options. I set my glass in the sink, now drained of it's refreshing contents, and readied myself to head back to my room.

Creeeeak

I froze in place. I felt a chill run up my spine, and every hair on my body stand up on end. I turned to face where the sound had come from to see the basement door cracked open. I'm by no means a superstitious pony... but... I won't lie, there's some things that are just ingrained into our brains and you can't get over no matter what you believe. "P-Pinkie Pie...?" I whispered. No response. "Trixie...?" Still nothing. "Who's there?" Quietness answered me. I gulped, steeling my nerves. Slowly, I made my way towards the door, slowly, cautiously reaching a hoof towards it, and pressing it open. I looked into the basement; it was too dark to see. I reached a trembling hoof to the side, quickly flipping the light switch and withdrawing it. The lights in the basement came on, and I took a moment to survey the sight; nothing stood out. There was a couch, a projector screen (with a projector hanging from the roof), a billiards table, and an odd structure that looked like four legs that wen up a few feet, then had a harness with two straps on the bottom... I had asked Pinkie about it, but Trixie stopped her short and told me that the less I knew the better. Nothing really seemed out of place though.

"Is anyone down there?" I said louder than before but still trying not to be too loud. "I warn you, I'm armed, so if you are come out..." No response. I made my way down the stairs slowly, conjuring up my illusion to hide my horn. I made the bottom and looked under the staircase; nothing there. I looked around, then noticed that a cellar door was open that went to the outside of the house. All common sense and instinct told me to turn back, to run, but... I don't know... I felt compelled forward.

I stepped out into the open, closing the door behind me to be sure nopony took advantage of the situation. It was dark out, naturally as it was likely just past midnight, and I was in Pinkie's garden; it was small, modest, and there was a shed... I imagine this the kind of place Pinkie would live in if she wasn't rich... just... with less pink. It was then I heard a clopping, and I shifted my attention to the side of the house, just in time to catch movement. The hairs on the back of my neck stood again, and I felt a shiver run through me. Still, I was compelled to follow.

I rounded the corner to find that the gate that lead out onto the street was slightly ajar. I pulled it open, stepping out. Naturally, it was quiet; all the windows of the houses around were dark, save for a faint glow in one here and there, likely ponies staying up just a bit longer to do whatever they had their hearts set on. It was then that I noticed movement from the corner of my eye; a pony running from behind a building, down the path. "Wait!" I called out. Wait, why did I do that? Not a wise idea to draw attention to yourself, let alone to a pony who might have broken into your friend's house. Still, I gave chase.

I followed the mystery pony. Through the streets, around corners, through the park. We ran past Applejack's house, which I gave a passing glance, but it didn't last long. We passed by Town Hall, and I felt a great sense of loss hit me; this building represented all I had lost. Ponyville, my wings, my life... but, I didn't cling to this thought as I continued to give chase. Eventually, we had made our way into Old Ponyville. We passed several places I found familiar; my Library, likely playing host to an act of debauchery best left unexplored, Sugarcube Corner, which was in relatively good condition, but still visibly abandoned, even Carosel Boutique, or what remained of it; from what I could see, it had suffered fire damage and was falling apart, and I knew seeing it as it was now would destroy Rarity, wherever she was.

But still, I gave chase.

We were running deeper into Old Ponyville than Pinkie had taken me, and at this point I could see just how much the Everfree had effected this part of town. Trees had already begun to grow, tearing through homes that were likely long since empty, vines growing over structures, the grass hiding the cobblestone road, and the further I got, the more it seemed nature was consuming the town, until I reached the bridge that marked it's end. By this point, I was surprised to see that the edge of the forest had effectively grown to full height past this point. It made no sense; I didn't think trees like these grew this fast! And yet I still followed my mysterious friend down the trail, climbing up a hill, until they made a turn.

I stopped where they had turned, looking up the path, and as I did, I felt a strange mixture of emotions run through me. Dread... sadness... curiosity...

The pony was gone, and the path they had run lead up to a place that I was surprised to see. A place that, despite where it was located, was relatively intact.

Fluttershy's cottage.

Once more, the hairs on my neck stood up. Something felt so unnatural about this place... which was odd, cause it was Fluttershy's home. I moved cautiously, scanning the area. It was odd; the house seemed to be frozen in time. The trees had grown around it, as if giving it a berth of space, and the windows had light in them, as if somepony was inside. A strange sense of unease fell over me as I made my way up the path, towards the house. I reached the door to find it slightly opened, and I found my muscles tense and my nerve waver. No... this was my friend's house. My dead friend... if anypony was in here vandalizing her worldly home... I wouldn't hear of it. I steeled my nerves, and then I pushed the door open, stepping inside.

Everything was just as it had always been. Before the revolution. Before the fear. A pleasant smell filled the air. Then, all at once, the image before me faded; windows were broken, growths entering the house through them. The couch was old and worn, but did not visibly suffer anything other than the ravages of time and neglect. Pictures hung at odd angles, and various nicknacks were toppled over and littering the floor.

The answer is closer than you think

I almost jumped out of my skin. Who was talking? It was a whisper... it felt like it was right in my ear, but as I turned to look, I was met by nothing. My heart was racing a million miles a minute. This was getting downright terrifying. Despite all instinct telling me to escape, to get back to Pinkie's, even teleporting and risking capture, I was compelled to continue investigating. I looked around the kitchen, and the livingroom. I considered everything for a moment, wondering what was going on.

Creeeeeeeeeeak.

I froze. The sound had come from outside the house. It was a short distance away, but I could hear it. I stepped outside, feeling all kinds of emotions run through me, and made my way around the house. Standing there was Fluttershy's shed, door ajar. Inside, however, there was a light; a green light. I put a trembling hoof forward, and then another, and another, drawing slowly closer to the shed, a deep, lingering feeling of dread and uncertainty filling me. I slowly reached a hoof up, ready to push the door open and step inside.

Violence breeds violence.

I tried to push forward, despite the creeping sensations running through my spine.

Revenge begets revenge.

My heart was pounding so hard and so fast, I swore it might jump out of my chest. Once more, the whispers came from some unknown source, sounding as though they might be right beside me, but when I turned to look, I saw nopony there. I was scared. I wanted to go back, but I felt like I couldn't; like some invisible wall had formed, and that even if I went back, I could not undo what I had already done. I didn't want to go forward, but I felt like it was the only way to go. Shakily, I whispered a response.

"I don't want revenge... or violence..." I whispered. "I just want to make things better..."

Silence returned to me. No more sounds. No more whispers. Then, a slow creaking. I slowly turned around to find Fluttershy's cellar door opened. I gave one last look to the shed, and turned about, making my way towards the cellar; upon closer inspection, I found a strange blue light coming from inside of it. Once I drew close, I noted that a strange fog was making it difficult to see within. I turned back to face the shed, considering my options. Somehow, this felt right, however. With no shortage of shakey hooves, I gulped and descended into the fog.

As I moved down the stairs, I noticed that what seemed like walls abruptly ended. Suddenly, I wasn't just in a basement; I was in an alternate plane of existence, as if Fluttershy's cellar was a bridge into the aether itself. Turning, I saw the cellar exit still there; offering me a chance to turn back. A chance I wanted to take, but I knew better. I had to go forward. I looked around in amazement at the sight before me; chunks of debris floating in an endless abyss. Ahead, I noticed the stairway terminated, meeting what looked like a cobblestone bridge that turned and twisted, until meeting a mass of land, on which stood a great tree.

I made my way down the path until reaching the tree to find that grass was even growing on this landmass. It was then that I noticed an abundance of small, pink butterflies. I walked towards the tree, placing a hoof on it. It was odd... it felt like a tree, but something was... different. Something I couldn't quite place. It was then that I noticed the butterflies were surrounding me, fluttering gently. I stared at them curiously, lifting up a hoof gently, to which one perched upon, it's wings fluttering softly.

I found another way.

My eyes widened as i stared at the butterflies. That voice...

"F... Fluttershy...!?"

Twilight... you have to wake up...

"Fluttershy!" I cried. "Wait! Where are you!?"

Twilight... please... wake up...

"But Fluttershy..." My eyes welled with tears. "I'm... I'm sorry Fluttershy..."

Twilight... please.... just please wake up...

"Why do you....?"

************

All at once, the world seemed to fade. The tree vanished. The butterflies disappeared. I was on the floor, back in Pinkie Pie's kitchen, a familiar sensation of being shaken overcoming me.

"Twilight! Twilight, wake up!"

I groaned, squinting my eyes, turning to look at Pinkie Pie, who stood over me with a clear expression of fear, looking as if she was on the verge of tears. It was about this point I noticed my head hurt; reaching a hoof up, I winced as I felt the pain, pulling my hoof back to find a small bit of blood on it.

"Wh... what happened...?"

Pinkie whimpered. "Y... you're awake?" I nodded slowly, and she responded with a strong hug. "Oh Twilight... I... I woke up, and I heard a noise, so I came down stairs, and I found you next to the counter, and your head was bleeding, and I cleaned it a bit but you kept whimpering and moving around like you were running-"

"Back! Trixie has first aid!" Trixie hurried into the room, her mane a mess, carrying a first-aid kit with her magic. "Is she awake?"

"Yes" said Pinkie, choking, hugging me tighter.

"Good. You cleaned the wound right? Let's bandage her up and make sure she doesn't have a concussion." She leaned next to me, holding up her hooves. "How many hooves am I holding up?"

I groaned. "Trixie... I would have to be blind to not see you holding up both your front hooves."

Trixie seemed to consider this. "Yeah, well, follow my hoof, keep an eye on it." She began to move her hoof around, which I did an excellent job of keeping my eyes on, if I do say so myself. Eventually, Pinkie had finished setting the bandage on my head, and I was turning to see a carton of milk on the floor. Did I not even drink my delicious glass of milk?

"What happened...?"

"We're not sure" said Trixie. "We both hurried down here to find you on the floor, whimpering and moving your legs around. It was like a seizure or a night terror or something... considering the mess, Trixie'd guess the first."

I placed a hoof on my head gently. "... I had a dream... was it a dream? I... I went to Fluttershy's cottage... and a tree... a tree hidden in her celler..."

The two ponies exchanged glances before turning back to me. "that sounds wild..." said Pinkie. "Twi, what kind of books have you been reading lately?" I didn't know how to respond... mostly because all I had read recently was Pinkie's own story. I sighed, placing a hoof over my (now bandaged) head injury.

"I'm alright girls.... let's just get back to bed, shall we?" I looked to the spilled milk and smirked. "... Preferably with an unspilled glass of milk in my tummy..." This was something I would have to dwell on later. For now, I needed to sleep. After all, we're leaving later today.

*******

"I figured we'd stop by Applejack's place before we take off!" Pinkie said with her usual energy as she bounced along the road, Trixie and myself wrapped in our glamors to conceal our appearances. "I figured she'd want to say goodbye before we took off!" We made our way to the house, and once more I found myself a little envious. It harkened back memories of my own childhood; a member of a noble family, I had never really wanted for anything. I never considered myself a spoiled pony, but now I had to admit I might have been a bit more so than I like to think. Pinkie knocked on the door, and turned to run away. Trixie held out a hoof, stopping her. "Oh! Right, we're not doing that right now! Sorry!"

The door opened, and once more we're greeted by young Apple Bloom, who smiled. "Pinkie! Trixie!" She turned her gaze to me, and that smile falters to an almost forced state. "Twilight." I had honestly hoped that making up with Big Mac would have won a little pleasantry from her, but I guess she was angrier than I thought. I wonder if she'll ever stop being mad?

"Hey Bloomy, is A.J. home?" said Pinkie with her usual energy.

Apple Bloom nodded. "Yeah, she's in her study if y'all wanna see her." The filly stepped to the side, and we filed into the house in an orderly fashion, Pinkie taking point. A short walk through a hallway later, wee found ourselves in front of a door, giving it a knock.

"Come in!"

Pinkie gently prodded the door open, and we all made our way into the study. It was a simply decorated room, a desk (where Applejack currently sat) at the very end, a globe, and a small table with couches for pleasantries. I'll have to admit, I was surprised at the number of books Applejack had at her immediate disposal in here; not that I ever considered Applejack dumb by any stretch of the word, mind you, but I had never considered her the type to have so many books among her personal effects either. Applejack looked up from her papers, her expression not quite as angry as Apple Bloom's, but she still seemed guarded. "Girls."

"Applejack" Pinkie said, a smile on her face. I felt that same sense of tension that had been there when we first saw Applejack; she wasn't entirely happy with our presence, and I guess what earlier softness she may or may not have shown was probably just due to... well... I'd rather not think about the macabre trophy they took from me. "So, we figured we'd stop on by and say that we're taking off today and tootles and to not be a stranger, alright?"

"Alright, Pinkie. Safe travels."

"Right... well, take care then." Pinkie turned around, and though she seemed to be accepting of it, I could see she was upset. How could she not be? Even I felt Applejack was being quite cold. But what could I do? Ask her to say more? We turned and made our way towards the exit.

"Twilight?"

Everypony stopped and turned to face Applejack, save for me; I was not looking forward to anything right now. "Can I speak to you? In private?" I turned to Pinkie Pie and Trixie, who both gave me uncertain looks. A nod from Pinkie, however, and Trixie seemed to accept the situation, and both mares made their way out, closing the door behind them. I turned around and made my way back to Applejack's desk, the mare staring at all the papers before her. No, through them. Deep in thought. She sighed, removing her reading glasses and setting them on the desk, then looking up to me. "Twilight. Are you sure this is where y'all wanna be? In Rainbow's little gang of killers n' thieves?"

"I'm not, Applejack." I shuffled my hooves nervously; it felt odd to admit, though I felt Applejack might be mislabeling the group a little. "Truth be told, I have my reserves... but I see no other way to try to help make things better."

Applejack simply stood up, walking around her desk to meet me. "Twi. I'm not gonna lie to you, it's tough out there. Everypony who's ever tried to change things as they are has been met with resistance. Ponies who've formed resistance organizations like Rainbow's have always been rooted out, arrested, and executed, or assimilated by Rainbow. Thing is, while she's got the honor of being the longest sustained freedom fighter, she ain't in no good shape herself."

"But... they're the only group opposing the Empire..." I bit my lip, remembering that Rainbow had told me this herself. "I've got very few options. I have no idea how else to go about this, and if you have any suggestions, I'm more than open to them."

Applejack stood silently, closing her eyes and bringing a hoof to the bridge of her nose. She brought it back down and looked me in the eye. "Twilight. I'll tell you what I once told Rainbow herself. What I've told Pinkie, and Rarity. I've got no idea. I'll admit, it seems outright impossible... but Rainbow's methods are careless. She treats her own ponies as pawns, and her views are very 'ends justify the means' oriented. Everypony is expendable." Applejack frowned a bit, looking past me a little. "I think she even considers herself an acceptable loss."

I had to ask. I didn't want to, but I had to. "What happened to everypony?"

Applejack sighed, shaking her head softly. "I can't say... I figure after the attack, we all did what came naturally to us... and those paths just sort of had their way of wearing each of us down. Rainbow, naturally, wanted to fight, and most of us decided to follow her. I'm the only one who didn't agree with it, on count of what they did to my brother."

I found myself frowning a bit. Something about that upset me. "So... you helped the ponies who you thought murdered me? Who almost killed Big Mac?"

Applejack shook her head. "Weren't like that, Twi. We helped, but not for the Empire. Big Mac was in the hospital for a while, and we were told to cooperate if we didn't want to see him hang for committin' what had been considered treason by aiding a fugitive of the fledgeling Empire." She grimaced at the memory, shaking her head. She didn't seem to want to think of the specifics. "Even then, he spent six months in prison as soon as he was well enough to leave."

"I don't understand why they wouldn't let him into Ponyville or anything though..."

Applejack rolled her eyes. "You been listening to Apple Bloom? He's allowed to leave that farm anytime he wants. He's not legally allowed to work around the apples is all, and even that I don't think anypony'd make a big fuss about. His exile is entirely self-imposed, an' he lied to 'Bloom because he..." Her expression shifted again, to something more timid. "... He... he's.... I think he's ashamed... ashamed of his failings, ya know?" Applejack looked back up towards me, her expression hardening again. "But he's allowed to leave anytime he wants. Worst case scenario, the guards'll give 'em dirty looks."

I had to ask, even if I somewhat feared the answer. "And once you thought I was killed?"

My farm-born friend was clearly caught off-guard by the question; I guess she forgot just how inquisitive I could be. However, she did regather herself. "Gonna be honest. We all dealt with that differently. For me, it was a sign. The most powerful pony I knew was crushed with little effort. It was a sign to me that this thing couldn't be fought by raw power." Applejack looked me in the eye. "... Big Mac nearly died saving you, and you seemed to have died anyway. To me it was all I needed to know that in the bigger picture, nothin' we could do would help. I couldn't risk the threat to my family by joinin' Rainbow an' her resistance efforts."

I felt an ache in my chest. I wanted to be upset, disappointed even... but once more, I found myself unable to fault her. I can't say I wouldn't have done things any differently in a similar situation. "I know it hurts to hear, sugarcube, but sometimes, doing the right thing ain't as simple as goin' on an adventure, finding a magical artifact, an' friendshippin' everything away. The Empire has weapons, they have new technology, and they have a disturbing eagerness to use either or both to destroy everything that violates their view of what the world should be."

"And that is why I have to join Rainbow."

"Wait, what?" Applejack was clearly not expecting me to respond like that, but now it made all the sense of the world.

"We're fighting ponies who are willing to destroy us. Extreme measures... it's not pleasant, but it's the only option." I looked up to my friend, clearly baffled that I was reaching this conclusion. I was too, really. "We must fight fire with fire. War for war. Blood for blood..."

"Twi, are you even listenin' to yourself?" Applejack placed her hooves under my chin and drew my face up, looking me in the eye. "You're suggestin' goin' on a killin' spree! Goin' to war! No, not even that; yer outnumbered! The Empire's got soldiers and weapons out the wazoo, and them Spellbreakers of theirs make magic a moot point! You're much safer livin' in hiding!"

"Am I?" I shoved her hooves away. "Applejack, I spend every day of my life worrying about what tomorrow will bring. I've spent years worrying that you girls were all dead! Every day, I wondered what I could be doing to fix things, and never doing anything, but I can't do it anymore! I can't sit and do nothing anymore! I'd rather die free than live my life in hiding!" Even I was a little surprised by myself.

Applejack stared at me, conflicting emotions dancing upon her features, before she gave a resigned sigh. "Twilight... I'll support ya any way I can. Jus' do me a favor?"

"Yes?"

Applejack smiled a sad smile. "Don't change like they did... don't let war ruin who you are. Don't let it take away from you what it's taken from the rest of us." I looked into her eyes, trying to read her. I don't know if it was stress or what, but somehow she was hard to read; I couldn't tell if she was being sincere or not, which was more than a little disheartening... after all, Applejack had always been a terrible liar and easy to read. Still, I brushed it off as best as I could.

"I'll try my best, Applejack."

"That's all you can do." She held her hooves out, and we shared a hug. We broke it apart, and any softness in her visage faded quick, once more stern and business. "Just remember. Once you choose your path... you might not be able to take a step backwards. You can't unring a bell and all that jazz. So before you make any choices, be certain you're ready to live with the consequences, an' I can tell you now... Rainbow's gonna use you in every way she can. Your magic, your smarts, even your death might be a tool at her disposal... so just know that I tried to warn ya."

I nodded. "I know Applejack... but I don't think she'll let me die that easily. She may have changed, but she can't be that heartless, right?"

Applejack grimaced. "You'll learn..." Can't anypony be direct? No, not this time. I'm getting answers.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Much to her credit, Applejack didn't seem to want to beat around the bush herself. "She's sent plenty of her ponies on suicide missions knowing failure was inevitable, simply because she knew in their failures that an opportunity would present itself." She walked back around her desk, taking her seat, looking at me like a pony warning a foal not to stick a fork in a light socket. "Just remember... if she ever has you do anything... be ready to question it. She won't always give you all the details, especially if the details give you any reason to defy her... you're one of the few ponies who might be able to challenge her, what with yer magic and all, assumin' you didn't get rusty in the past few years."

"Thanks Applejack... I'll be careful.... you take care of yourself, alright?"

"I will."

I turned and made my way out of the study, shutting the doors behind me. My friends were already waiting for me outside, and I imagined it was getting pretty close to time for us to leave. As I made my way out of the house, I turned back to ponder upon all I had learned here in Ponyville, both Old and New. I'm not entirely sure I know what it is Rainbow wanted me to learn here, but I have a feeling it wasn't just the condition of Old Ponyville and the ponies in it. I wonder if it's possible I had missed something, or if the answer is much simpler than I was letting it be?

As we made our way across New Ponyville, I had one more chance to take in the sights. It was still so surreal to think how much had changed. I honestly didn't know this much could change in so short a time. It lead me to wonder just how much blood, sweat and money must have gone into all of this. I decided it was one of those things, however, that really didn't matter; it was there before my eyes.

Something caught my eye just that moment; a red spot in the distance. As I focused on it, I could see it was a familiar red farm pony wearing a green bandanna. He held up a hoof and waved; he was too far away to make out any expression. I held my own hoof up and waved back. I had always considered Big Mac a friendly acquaintance, but I think this trip has helped me. I like to think he felt the same, to have a friend, even if it is a friend in common suffering. As we turned and made our way towards the train station, I considered going back to speak with him, but when I looked again he had gone.

The train ride back I spent mostly deep in thought. The conversation with Applejack, my dream... it was certainly a lot to mull over. That dream especially. What did it mean? Was it possible Fluttershy was trying to help me from beyond the grave? The mere thought made me shudder; not just because the natural fear coming from ghosts, but also from the fact that my rational side couldn't believe I even considered such a thing. Eventually, I decided that the answers would come when they did; I just didn't know enough to come to any solid conclusions.

Destiny seemed to have a plan for me. I could only question what it was.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Comments ( 1 )

This fic looks like it has a long road ahead of it.
I am going to take a guess and assume that Rainbow and Twilight are going to get into a serious argument in the future.
Really like seeing the update and look forward to more

Login or register to comment