• Published 25th Nov 2013
  • 4,352 Views, 2 Comments

Dear Princess Twilight - Petchricor



Twilight has found a group of very odd friends and one in particular catches her eye. She sees that they all have a lot to learn and decides that she herself shall oversee their journey

  • ...
 2
 4,352

His First Lesson

Wash hadn't had time to think on what Twilight had requested of him after the battle, he and his team had been far to busy cleaning up the mess after the battle to really think about it much. The clean-up hadn't taken very long but it was very tiring and just as the complaints from his team had started to become unbearable when they had finally gotten finished getting Ponyville in tip-top shape. He had been informed the Princess Twilight had gotten them a home that would fit them all comfortably and they had found it already furnished and ready to be lived in, they would have to get their own food of course but it was all ready for them when they walked in.

After sorting out the rooms, Blues on one side of the hall and Reds on the other, everything began to settle down and Wash finally got to thinking about what Twilight said. It seemed to odd to him, learning lessons and writing letters about friendship. How did someone got about that anyway? What lessons were there to really learn anyway? Friendship is friendship, and he wasn't even really friends with these people, they were his team, nothing more and nothing less. Was that such a big deal?

He had been so very wrong. It all started with a trip with Tucker and Caboose to Market Street for some food, that's where his first lesson started.

"Ok, all that's left is tomatoes, milk, eggs, and...Caboose, for the last time, we're not getting cookies," Wash said with a scolding look sent the younger soldier's way. Caboose hung his head and sighed heavily as Wash crossed out his horribly written request with his levitation. Each of the three male ponies had saddle bags filled with different things from Market Street they had gotten, looking for the last three things they needed.

"Found the milk," Tucker said, the other two following him over to a stand. Wash thanked him and asked for two cartons, putting them carefully in his saddlebag and tossing the bits down on the counter. The mare thanked them for the service and told them to come again. "See you around!" Wash rolled his eyes at the sound of Tucker's clicking tongue that was undoubtedly followed by a wink of his eye, the mare giggling in response.

"You just can't let up, can you?" Wash asked with a smirk. Tucker narrowed his eyes at Wash and the Freelancer just laughed in amusement, using his magic to look at the list again before lowering it and walking over to the stand with eggs. He requested two dozen and put them into Tucker's saddlebag before moving on. Tucker winked at the mare behind the stand before they continued down the street, Tucker being careful not to crack the eggs as they searched for the tomato stand.

"There it is!" Caboose said with a grin as he pointed it out. Wash nodded thankfully and they headed over, getting the amount they needed and heading off. "Yay! That was fun! Can I come next time Wash? Can I please!" Wash turned to him.

"I'll think about it," he responded, Caboose yelling out happily as they came up to their fairly large home. Wash levitated the key out of his saddle bag and opened the door, the trio heading down the hall and into the kitchen. "We're home!" A growl sounded as the large stallion entered the kitchen in greeting. "They behave themselves?" A low growl and a nod from Maine. "Good, glad to hear it. Simmons! Can I get a hand-er, hoof, in here please! Or, well, horn in this case."

"Sure thing, Wash!" Simmons called from his room, opening the door and trotting into the kitchen. Tucker joined Grif in the living room while Caboose rushed outside to join Donut and Doc in the garden. Wash and Simmons walked around the kitchen, using their magic to put things in their rightful places. After a thankful not to Simmons Wash left the house to go for a walk, leaving Maine in charge as always.

"I feel kinda bad," he admitted quietly to himself. "But Maine seems to handle things pretty well, so I guess it's not to bad." Wash shrugged off the worry and continued his walk through Ponyville. He didn't know many of the ponies there but still they all greeted him with smiles and a cheerful tone when they passed by him in the streets and of course Wash always greeted them happily in return.

"AHH!" Wash's ears perked up and he turned to see a blonde mare running from three boys with water balloons. She bumped into him a a swirl of blonde hair wacked him in the face, making him stumble back. "Help! Somebody, anybody, help me!" "ALLISON!" Wash blinked and gasped, stumbling back and stuttering.

"Excuse me sir, but are you all right?" Wash whirled around as someone placed a hoof on his shoulder, looking worried. He backed up and mumbled something that not even he was sure what it was, some sort of apology or something, then ran off in a flash back towards home. He didn't stop until he reached the house, bursting through the door and startling Donut and Caboose who were in the hallway heading towards the door, both yelping and backing up against the wall as he bolted.

"Wash?!" Donut called in worry as he ran up the stairs and into his room, shutting the door with a SLAM! and locking it without a second thought. He could hear them all talking downstairs, confusion in their voices but he couldn't understand them and he didn't find it very important at the moment.

Without hesitation Wash started to pace back and forth in his room, from one wall to the other in a panic-like manner. He was breathing heavy and muttering quietly, telling himself to calm down and that it was just a memory. He kept pacing. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth-a five second long cycle as he stared at his hoofs treading the carpeted ground under his hooves.

"Wash?" He halted at Tucker's voice and a knock on his door. He went stiff as he turned towards the door to stare at it silently as Tucker knocked again. "Wash? I know you're in there." Wash growled.

"Go away!" he snapped. "I don't need your help so fuck off!" There was a silence, then a shuffle of hooves and the sound of Tucker heading back downstairs. Wash sighed and collapsed on the floor as he stared at the door a bit longer before closing his eyes and passing out, the memory haunting him in the rest he gave up on avoiding.

Wash ignored the prying eyes of his teammates as he stumbled down the stairs, mumbled some sort of goodbye, and walked out the door and into the town. The town was still cheery and upbeat as always but Wash found it aggravating and irritating. As always everyone greeted him with a smile and he forced one onto his face in return so no one would ask what was wrong, he hated that with a passion. He was just going to get some fresh air and head home, he wasn't going to be out there long he promised himself.

That turned out to be five minutes exactly. He wasn't sure what happened, it was all such a blur and so fast. One second he was walking down the street, the next that mare ran passed him again screaming and he was running in the opposite direction back towards home without a second thought. His only thoughts were to run and never come back, but he tripped over someone then.

"My word! Watch where you're-Wash?" Rarity said in shock, staring as the stallion righted himself. "My goodness, are you alright? You look so pale darling! Please, let me-"

"No!" Wash snapped, surprising the mare. "Thank you." With the added to words Wash was off again, running for dear life towards home with all his might. When he finally reached his home he didn't even pay attention as one of his teammates yelled his name, not caring to see who it was, and ran into his room, slammed the door and locked it once again.

And then he paced. Back and forth, wall to wall, all over again just like last time. He tried to even his breathing as he paced, cursing lightly under his breath as he did so. He stopped as there was a knock at the door and turned to face it, heart leaping into his throat.

"Wash, come on," Tucker's voice said. "What's going on? Come on, Wash, open the door man." Wash's heart was pumping hard and fast as he tried to decide what to do. He just wanted to curl up and hide, he didn't want to talk about this and he never had. What would they think if he started to cry? Or if he screamed in fear or rage? What if he had a panic attack and tried to attack them, what would they do then? He was so scared!

"Agent Washingtub?" came Caboose's quiet voice. "We just wanna help you. Please let us in." Wash swallowed nervously and used his magic to unlock the door with a soft click that had the door opening to allow entrance to the younger soldiers. Wash watched as Tucker closed the door behind him as they entered. "What's wrong?" They stared at him as he stayed silent, after a moment Tucker walking over and gently placing a hoof on his shoulder.

"Wash, please, talk to us. What's going on in that pony head of yours?" Tucker asked gently. Wash sighed and sat down with his eyes plastered to the ground, the two ponies sitting across from him on the floor. "Wash, look at me." Wash glanced up to see Tucker wearing a very kind and assuring expression, one he had never seen on him before. "The others promised not to listen in, so nothing you say will leave this room. I'm not gonna tell anyone and I know that Caboose wont either. Please, talk to us." Wash eyed them both and bit his lip as he held back the tears.

"Just...memories," he murmured. "From Epsilon. I'm not quite sure what triggered it, but I heard her screaming in my head and I just-I just panicked. I didn't know what else to do but run, so I did. I ran all the way home, and then I hid. That's what I've always done, run and hide from it all. But it never works." Wash cursed silently as his voice cracked and closed his eyes as the tears fell. He tensed as he felt a wing drape over him as Tucker and Caboose settled on either side of him.

"Then if it isn't working, stop. Inside of running and then hiding, run and come to us. We want to help you, Wash. That's all we want to do, but you have to open up first. So, please, let us in. Tell us what's going on because we want to know," Tucker told him. Wash glanced up at him slowly, there were so many places he could have said his number one catch-phrase but he didn't and that was the sign that Tucker was serious.

"We really do wanna help you, Wash," Caboose whispered, tucking his head under Wash's chin. "So please, let us at least try." Wash glanced down at Caboose, then back over at Tucker before glancing back at the ground. He sighed and settled down, chin resting gently against Caboose's head and side against Tucker's wings.

"Ok," he whispered. "Ok, I'll try. I can't promise anything, but I will try to open up to you guys." His teammates smiled and Tucker let out a sigh of relief. "But...can I be alone? I just-I just need to think for a moment, and I do that better by myself. I'll be down in a few minutes, ok?" The two nodded and stood, walking out the door but not before giving him a pair of warm smiles that got returned with one from Wash.

The door shut and Wash stared at the door. He could count on them, he could trust them, and all because they were his friends. Wash's ears perked and he turned to his desk where quills and paper lay, his mind whispering to him as he headed over and used his magic to levitate it into the air with a smile. He had learned his first lesson.

"Letter for the Princess," the mailstallion said as he handed Twilight a letter and flew off without another word. Twilight levitated the sealed letter to her room and shut the door, laying on her bed and opening it to read it. She smiled as she read.

Dear Princess Twilight,

I write to you today with my very first lesson in friendship. I understand that it has been quite a long time since you instructed me to write these, and I want to apologize for that but in all honesty I didn't take it at all seriously at first but after today I do. I understand now that I do have lots to learn about friendship and although I don't know what that may be I know that I will learn it someday. But, as for today's lesson, I couldn't be more thankful for it.

Today I was stressing over something from my past, a painful something and I wanted to run and hide from it like I had always done in the past and was scared what they might think of me if I showed my emotions or what might happen if I overreacted to something. But they didn't mind, they listened and they didn't mind when I showed my emotions. In fact, they embraced it. They held me close and assured me that I had nothing to worry about.

What I learned today is that you can trust your friends no matter what and can always count on them to be there for you when you need them. You don't have to worry about them judging you because they care enough about you that they would judge you for who you are. This is a fear I've dealt with a long time, and it's not completely resolved but I feel assured that with the help of my friends it soon will be.

Your student and friend,

David Washington

Twilight smiled and put the letter back before putting it in a file she had already gotten ready for his letters months ago. She had been afraid that he'd never send a letter and that she'd never know if he ever learned anything or that perhaps he wasn't learning anything at all. But with this letter she now knew that he had started his lessons on friendship and soon he would know a magic more powerful than any other. The magic of friendship.

Comments ( 2 )

Well this is certainly interesting, for starters it's an interesting cross-over that I hadn't expected to see but would love to see more of. You could definatly use some cleaning up with your grammar, but overall it is a fun read and I would like to see where this goes.:twilightsmile:

3535235 I'd like to note I wrote this at midnight and am just now going to bed (about an hour later) I plan on going back when I'm more awake and fixing the mistakes, but for now i'm to tired and just wanna go to bed. Thank you for the note though :)

Login or register to comment