• Published 13th Nov 2013
  • 13,175 Views, 454 Comments

First Meeting - Terrasora



Vinyl and Octavia's first meeting, years ago, in the middle of Canterlot Station

  • ...
16
 454
 13,175

Memories in Manehattan

Harmonia sat awkwardly on the edge of the bed, her gaze shifting back and forth over the bare room, anywhere but at the sobbing unicorn.

What am I supposed to do? she thought. Pat him? “There, there. It’s okay.” Yes, that seems like a suitable response... I feel like I should have more experience at this kind of thing.

Harmonia raised a hoof, placing it against Long Play’s foreleg. She did it again, the movement jerky and stiff.

“There, there,” she said. “It’s okay.”

Long Play glanced at the hoof, then up at Harmonia. His blue eyes were tinged with red, a layer of tears glazing over the surface. “Wh-What are you doing?”

Harmonia hesitated the slightest bit. “Er… Comforting you?”

Long Play’s face twisted the slightest bit. “You’re… You’re really bad at it.”

“Well, excuse me for trying to help!” Harmonia crossed her hooves testily.

“Nah, it’s fine,” said Long Play, wiping at his eyes with a hoof. “I guess it’s just not in your nature.”

Harmonia bristled. “I’ll have you know that I am a very caring pony!”

“Yeah, it shows.”

“I take care of Octavia all the time!”

“Yeah, but who walked her up to see the conductor on the train?”

“I was there too!”

Long Play smiled. “That’s cute.”

Harmonia blinked. “What?”

“The way your muzzle scrunches up when you’re angry.” Long Play’s smiled widened slightly. “It’s cute.”

“My muzzle does nothing of the sort!”

“You get really red when you’re angry. That’s cute too.”

Stop it!”

Long Play laughed, wiping away the last few tears. “Did your voice just crack? Dear Celestia, you’re the most adorable thing ever. I just wanna pinch your cheeks.” Long Play’s hoof came forward, slowly inching towards Harmonia.

“I swear to the Royal Sisters, Long Play, I’ll slap you all the way to the Griffon Kingdom if you touch me.”

Long Play’s made contact, stopping directly on the tip of Harmonia’s muzzle.

“Boop.”

***

“Long Play, were you crying?”

“No Vinyl. Colts don’t cry.”

“Then why are your eyes red?”

“Why are your eyes red?”

Vinyl crossed her eyes, trying to see her own scarlet irises. “I don’t know. Tavi, why are my eyes red?”

Octavia chewed her food thoughtfully. “Do you eat a lot of red things?”

“I like Red Vines.”

“That’s why,” said Octavia with a satisfied nod. “It’s like when flamingos eat a lot of shrimp and turn pink. Except that it only works on your eyes.”

“Wow,” marveled Vinyl.

Long Play and Harmonia shared a look, then turned back towards their food, laughing softly to themselves.

Octavia glanced at the two older ponies, her purple eyes bouncing back and forth until she worked up the courage to lean over to Harmonia. “Harmonia,” she whispered, “is Long Play embarrassed?”

Harmonia knit her brow. “How do you mean?” She took a sip of her water.

“His cheek is red. But only one is red, so I can’t tell if he’s embarrassed or not.”

Harmonia snorted, spilling a bit of water onto the table and quickly wiping it away with a napkin. “No Octavia,” she said with a laugh, “he’s not embarrassed.”

“Who’s embarrassed?” asked Long Play.

Octavia turned quickly back to her food. Harmonia smiled tauntingly. For a time, the only sound in the room was that of silverware on plates.

“To be honest,” said Harmonia, “I’m surprised that you can cook, Long Play.”

“I live alone in Canterlot. If I couldn’t cook for myself, I’d either be starving or broke. Or both. Probably both.” Long Play took a bite of his pasta, slurping up one of the longer strands. He turned towards Vinyl, expecting a laugh, but the filly seemed lost in thought.

Harmonia’s muzzle scrunched slightly. “Manners could do with a bit more polish.”

“In Neighpon, slurping your food is polite,” countered Long Play. “It shows that you’re enjoying it.”

“Well, we’re not exactly in Neighpon, are we?”

Long Play opened his mouth for a rebuttal, but found nothing. He speared a fork back into his food. “You win this round.”

“Tavi,” said Vinyl. “How did you get purple eyes?”

“She probably ate something purple,” said Long Play through a mouthful of food.

Harmonia barely suppressed a smile. “Hush, you.”

“I don’t remember eating anything purple,” admitted Octavia.

Vinyl pouted. “I want purple eyes like yours. They’re pretty.”

The other filly looked down at her food, a small smile playing against her lips. “I like your eyes too, Vinyl.”

Vinyl grinned, evidently pleased at the compliment. A thought flashed across the filly’s face, and she jumped from her chair. “Wait here!” she squeaked. “I’m gonna make my eyes purple.” Vinyl Scratch dashed out of the dining room.

Long Play and Harmonia shared a look.

“Should I go after her?” asked Octavia.

A pause. Long Play shook his head. “Nah. She’s probably just getting something purple.”

“Do you have anything purple?” asked Harmonia.

Long Play thought for a moment. No. Nothing. Everything that he had was either a two-tone red or some variation of the same. Besides, most everything was packed away in preparation for his trip back to Canterlot.

“I don’t think so,” said the colt hesitantly.

Vinyl’s voice carried back to the others. “I found them!”

Harmonia knit her brow. “Long Play,” she said slowly. “There’s one thing.”

Four small hooves sounded against the floor, slipping slightly as they did. Vinyl let out a cry, streaking past the dining room’s entrance in a blur of two-toned blue and white. A low thud sounded through the room.

Long Play was the first to his hooves. He rushed through the doorway, already worriedly hovering over his sister as Harmonia and Octavia were just rounding into the hall.

“Vinyl,” said Long Play urgently, “are you okay?”

“My head hurts.” Vinyl rubbed a hoof weakly though her mane.

“Here, lean towards me.”

The filly complied, leaning her head towards her brother. Long Play gingerly placed a hoof on Vinyl’s head, feeling for anything irregular.

“Nothing’s bleeding,” muttered Long Play, “so that’s good.” He spent a few more moments on his sister, turning Vinyl’s head this way and that, inspecting everything he could think of.

“My head hurts,” said Vinyl softly.

“Well, it doesn’t look too bad,” said Long Play with relief. Then he scowled. “Seriously Vinyl, how many times has Mom told you not to run in the house?!”

“I wanted to get back to the table!”

“You could walk!”

“Long Play,” cut in Harmonia, “she’s okay.”

The colt glared at his sister for a few beats. He reached out, ruffling her mane with a hoof. “Be careful, kid. I’ve only got one sister.”

Vinyl ducked away from the hoof, unable to completely keep a smile from her face. “Okay. I’ll be careful.”

Long Play smiled. “Good.”

Octavia craned her neck around the older ponies, her eyes shining with worry. “Is… is Vinyl okay?”

“She’s fine,” said Long Play.

Vinyl kept rubbing at her head. “My head still hurts.”

“Maybe Octavia could kiss it and make it feel better.”

Every eye in the room snapped towards Harmonia.

“What?” challenged the mare.

Long Play blinked. “Nothing. It was just… Did you really say that?”

“It was just a joke!”

“I’d let Tavi kiss me!” squeaked Vinyl excitedly.

Octavia trotted forward quickly, weaving between the legs of the older ponies. She stopped right by Vinyl, hesitated just the slightest moment, then quickly pecked the top of Vinyl’s head.

“Better?” asked a red-faced Octavia.

Vinyl nodded dreamily. “Yeah.”

Long Play glanced furtively at Harmonia, his eyes lingering on her lips for perhaps a few more moments than necessary. Harmonia did not catch the movement.

“What were you in such a rush to get?” asked Octavia, the blush on her cheeks slightly fading.

Vinyl’s eyes were still slightly glazed over. “Hmmmm?”

“What did you run to get?” asked Octavia with exaggerated patience.

“I came to get…” Vinyl’s eyes snapped into focus, her gaze swiping back and forth along the floor until they locked onto something. “Oh no.”

The others moved in tandem, following Vinyl’s gaze and stopping right on the threshold to the dining room. Shards of purple glass littered the floor. The frames were bent, the handles poking out at strange angles.

“Glasses?” asked Octavia.

Vinyl’s eyes watered, the beginnings of tears forming at their corners. “LP, I’m sorry. I’m really really sorry.”

Long Play was silent, his eyes fixed on the remains of his father’s shades. He worked his jaw, trying to get some moisture into a suddenly dry mouth. Long Play’s magic flared and the pieces slowly floated upwards.

“Long Play?” asked Harmonia.

Vinyl had begun to cry, sobs forcing her to stutter her words. “L-LP, I-I know you said not to get your stuff b-but I s-saw the glasses a-and they looked like Tavi’s eyes and I… I--” Vinyl sobbed wordlessly. Octavia wrapped a hoof around her.

“It’s okay.” Long Play’s words were dry. Then, a bit more strongly: “It’s okay, Vinyl.” The glasses floating before him, Long Play trotted to his room. The door shut firmly behind him.

***

“I see.” Vinyl Record leaned back into her chair. “And he hasn’t come out of his room since then?”

Harmonia shook his head.

Record sighed, rubbing at her eyes with a hoof. She and Gramma Phone had had a perfectly nice outing, having lunch and planning Long Play and Harmonia’s life together, only to come home to this problem. “I thought that we’d lost those things. Why would he hide them away like that?”

Gramma Phone’s worn, warm voice carried from the other side of the room. “Do you really need to ask that, dear?”

Vinyl Record stayed silent.

Harmonia’s brow furrowed in confusion. Yet, she would have left the issue untouched in Melodia Philharmonica’s sharp eyes had not caught the gesture.

“Look around, Harmonia,” said the elder mare. “And use your brain, filly.”

And Harmonia did look around. She glanced at the chairs and sofas, at Gramma Phone and her warm smile, at Vinyl whose head still hung sadly, at Octavia who had not left Vinyl’s side ever since Long Play entered his room, and at Vinyl Record who wouldn’t quite meet her eye.

Then she glanced over the rest of the room, though there wasn’t much else. A fireplace, stacked with wood to stave off the Manehattan nights, the mantle where old pictures of Long Play and Vinyl Scratch and their mother sat, the bookshelf on which sat an old clock, a few books and more pictures of the family.

No, not the family. Harmonia had only seen one picture in all of the house that had the entire family.

“Bright Lights is missing,” said Harmonia.

Vinyl Record kept her gaze firmly on the ground. “I couldn’t stand it. It hurt too much.”

“So Long Play had to keep everything where he thought nopony could find it,” said Gramma Phone. Her eyes locked onto Vinyl Scratch. “But foals have a surprisingly good nose for this kind of thing.”

Vinyl sniffled a bit. “He left it under the bed once. I was trying to find his records.”

“Are you still crying about that?” asked Long Play from the back of the room.

All eyes snapped towards him. The colt stood right at the living room’s entrance, a smile on his face that didn’t quite reach his eyes and a red suitcase standing beside him.

“Are you planning on leaving already?” asked Vinyl Record.

Long Play shifted his weight uncomfortably. “Yeah. I said that I would, remember?”

“I didn’t think you were serious.”

Long Play shrugged.

“LP,” said Vinyl Scratch, “I’m really really really sorry!”

“Don’t worry.” Long Play patted his suitcase. “I’ve got the shades right here. I know a guy in Canterlot who might be able to fix it.”

“You’re going back already?!” Harmonia’s voice carried through the room, loud enough to cause a few of the ponies to jump.

“I--I’ve got work and, you know, I’m sure that the mail’s been piling up at my house. And stuff.” Long Play ran a hoof through his mane.

“You’ve only been here for a day.”

“... I get a lot of mail.”

“When does your train leave?” asked Gramma Phone.

“I can make it if I leave right now.”

The eldest mare considered this for a while, a hoof slowly tapping at her chin. “Then you’d best get going.”

Long Play blinked, surprised. Then he nodded, lifting his luggage a bit more. “Yeah. Yeah, I should. Thanks.”

“Harmonia,” sad Gramma Phone, “I think that you should follow him, just so that there’s somepony there to see him off. Record and I will take care of the fillies.”

“I wanna go with LP!” protested Vinyl Scratch.

But Melodia shook her head. “I’m sorry dear, but you or I would just slow him down. Harmonia can keep pace, though, can’t you Harmonia?”

The mare furrowed her brow slightly, but nodded.

“Good. Then you two would best be off.”

Author's Note:

Writing is weird. Like, as a writer I feel that I should know what's going to happen in my own story, but, most of the time, I have no clue until one of my characters does something. As if I was watching a movie instead of telling my little ponies what to do. This was originally going to be the chapter where Long Play gave Vinyl the glasses. No fuss, little muss. And then, as I'd done many times before, I wrote that the filly's hooves sounded like they were slipping against the floor. And then my fingers took over and boom! We get this chapter.

How strange.