• Published 22nd Feb 2012
  • 1,493 Views, 7 Comments

Daring-Do and the Griffon's Goblet - Creative Charmer



Daring-Do goes on a quest to locate a precious goblet from a greedy griffon.

  • ...
2
 7
 1,493

Chapter 11

Daring-Do and Griison had both walked to the outside of the tunnel entrance. Griison looked up at the clear sky, and took a deep, cleansing breath. Coming out of that tunnel made Grison feel like he was coming out of his mountain; and this time, he would not be going back inside.

"I've never felt so happy to look up at the sky. In fact, I don't think I've ever taken much time to admire the natural splendor of this valley, what with the duties of my guardian lifestyle taking up my mind so often."

"Well, now you'll be able to admire the natural splendor of the whole world!"

Griison smiled. "Indeed; and again, I thank you—say, I don't believe I ever got your name?"

"It's Daring-Do: pony explorer extraordinaire!"

Griison chuckled. "So I see. Well, Daring-Do, this is where I bid you farewell. I know not if we shall cross paths again, but if we do, I know I will be a much more contented griffon than during our first meeting."

Daring snickered. "That's for sure."

Griison gave a single, tiny chuckle. "Farewell, my pony friend," Griison then spread his wings and took to the air.

Daring-Do smiled as she watched him fly off, fulfilled to have not only gotten the treasure, but to have helped improve the lives of everyone in the valley. Daring was certainly fervent in her desire to tell all that has happened to Inquirer, and prepared herself for the long flight back home. This was when she abruptly realized something. She then looked out towards Griison who was still in eyesight, and she called out to him as loud as she could. He indeed heard Daring's cry, and turned around, facing her.

"Yes??" he shouted back.

"Do you think you could give me a lift? My wings are still sprained!" she yelled, sounding a bit embarrassed in having to ask for help.

Some time later, Daring-Do was at the bank of the Akion river, having been brought there by Griison, and she was currently having her wings restored by the valley ponies. They had poured some cool water on Daring's wings, then rubbed some herbs on each of the sprains to help them heal quicker. Lastly, they wrapped up her wings with several large leaves, so as to protect the herbal mixtures from coming off.

While Daring-Do was receiving her treatment, Griison was doing what no griffon in his family had ever accomplished before: mingling with the valley ponies.

When Griison first arrived at the riverbank, the other ponies all fled in fright. But after he landed on the ground, and they saw Daring-Do on his back, waving to them all, the ponies came out from hiding to figure out what had happened. Daring explained to the ponies what happened at they tended to her injuries, letting them know that Griison was perfectly trustworthy now. At first they were dubious of her claim, but after showing them the goblet Griison let Daring have, they believed her in an instant.

"That's incredible!"

"Amazing!"

"And pretty unbelievable!" Everypony laughed at this response, with several humorously agreeing that Daring's whole story seemed implausible.

Fern approached Daring-Do. "I want to thank you, Miss Daring. You have performed a great deed for us, and we are forever indebted to you," she bowed, as did several others.

"Hey, you fixed up my wings. I say that's pretty even," she winked as the valley ponies chuckled in conjunction.

"One thing I must say," said one male Earth pony. "I never thought I'd see the day where we would be associating with Griison as neighbors."

"Well, we won't be neighbors any longer," said Griison as he walked up. "Since I'll be taking my leave soon."

"So you're going to go out and see the world?"

"Precisely; although, before I begin my venture, I must first drop Daring-Do off at her town, as she requested. But immediately afterward I will be off to see what there is to see in this vast world of ours."

"Well, that is great to know," Fern said encouragingly. "It is too bad you have to leave before we had a chance to get to know you better."

"Yes, I suppose that is rather unfortunate. I would have been very willing to make up for all you ponies have been though while I made your lives so hard."

"Yeah, but it's all right. What's most important is that you won't be mean to anypony anymore," several of the other ponies nodded in agreement with Fern.

Griison felt glad that nopony felt too disappointed with his lack of reparations, albeit he still wished he could have thought of a way to compensate for the valley ponies; and then, suddenly, his eyes sparked with the formation of an idea.

"You know...if you ponies want..."

"Yes?" everypony looked towards Griison inquisitively.

"...you can all take over ownership of my mountain."

All the valley ponies instantly became encompassed by shock, and even Daring-Do was stunned to hear this sudden proposition.

“What are you saying??”

“I’m saying that because I won’t be using my mountain any longer, you ponies are free to use it as you wish—after I disarm all the traps, that is.”

The ponies were still agape from this incredible offer.

“I don’t believe it!”

“Me neither!”

As the valley ponies continued chattering over this unexpected turn of events, Fern walked up to Griison, not having the appearance of shock, but rather mild surprise. "You’ll really do that for us?" she asked.

“Hey, it’s the least I could do after all the troubles you’ve all accumulated over the years because of me; not to mention all that’s happened between our ancestors.”

All of the valley ponies were in awe by this grand gesture, including Fern, who was having trouble with creating a response to Griison’s proposal.

“Well…I…” Fern stuttered for a bit, but regained her composure quickly, clearing her throat promptly. “Griison, this is truly an incredible show of generosity by you to us. “We can’t thank you enough for this great deed you have performed,” she bowed her head down, as did many of the other valley ponies.

“That’s not necessary. Just the fact that all is well between us now is the only thanks I need,” Griison was indeed happy with only receiving the thanks of the valley ponies, and they in turn were happy to have gained an invaluable companion in Griison.

As Griison and the ponies has finished burying the hatchet, the ponies wrapping up Daring-Do’s wings had finally finished with their mending.

“There you go!”

“Good as new! Well, after they heal, they will be,” the male pony laughed a bit, with Daring and the other helping pony doing the same.

"So, how does it feel?"

In a way of checking how tightly her wings were wrapped up, Daring tried expanding her wingspan, only to see that the leaves held together, thusly passing the inspection.

“Feels pretty good to me! Well, as good as they can be in the state that they’re in.”

“Don’t worry, Miss Daring: your wings should be properly healed in a few days, and then you may get right back to flying normally once again!

“That’s some good news right there! Thank you guys for fixing up my wings!” she said as she wrapped her hooves around each of the ponies’ heads, pulling them right next to her as an act of friendliness.

“Hey, it was our pleasure, Miss Daring.”

“It certainly was.”

The two ponies then hugged Daring-Do like normal, much to her minor embarrassment.

“Well…ahem…thanks, you two. You’re both very helpful ponies.”

Just then, Griison walked up to Daring-Do. “So, Daring-Do: are you all set to go?”

“Oh, sure!” Daring slid out of the hug she was receiving and speedily trotted over to Griison.

“Well then, let’s get a move on,” Griison turned to his side and lowered his wings down. Daring leapt up onto his back and positioned herself so she would be able to stay put on Griison’s back without falling off.

Daring turned her head and looked around at all of the valley ponies. Everypony! It is time that I take my leave! But remember that I will never forget you all! I’ll forever remember all that I have done for you, and all that you have done for me!” Everypony cheered for the heroic Daring-Do as they listened on to her speech.

“When I first began my quest for the goblet, I never expected to have gotten tangled within the long history of an antagonistic griffon family and the plight of the ponies they so maltreated. But I am elated to have known that I had assisted in relieving you ponies of that burden, and for relieving Griison of his own personal burden,” Griison looked quite pleased as he looked back at Daring. “As I leave your valley, I am filled with gratitude for having known each and every pony here, and for all that you have done for me!”

The valley ponies cheered and stamped their hooves as a show of their own gratitude for everything Daring-Do has done for them, feeling as happy to know her as she was to have known them. She then turned her head towards Griison, whom was looking back at her.

“Ready to go?”

“Ready,” she nodded.

And on those words, Griison spread his mighty wings, flapping them repeatedly as he floated straight up into the air. Daring waved a kindly farewell to the valley ponies as they did the same. Once Griison was above the trees, he took off in the direction of Daring’s home.

Daring-Do looked back as several of the pegasus ponies, including Fern had flown up above the trees, continuous in their waving goodbye to the adventurous pony, showing her how boundless their gratitude truly was.

As Daring-Do and Griison left the valley, Daring thought back on all that had occurred during her time here: she had obtained the goblet she sought after, helped a once bad griffon choose the right path in life, and freed a whole society of ponies from what was thought to be an endless tyranny.

“Yep,” she thought to herself. “That seems like a pretty good day to me.”

THE END

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment