• Published 13th Jul 2013
  • 2,763 Views, 46 Comments

Twilight gets stung by a bee (and other short stories) - GrouchoMarxDisciple



Twilight has a close encounter with a stinging striped insect.

  • ...
6
 46
 2,763

The Race (A Thing Explainer-Style story)

Author's Note:

(Original Author's Note)
This story is a writing exercise. First I wrote a short, simple story, using a simple premise and theme. Then I put that story into Randall Munroe's Word Checker, which only allows for the most commonly used words in the English Language. I also let myself use names and names of places.

Feel free to try it yourself using this tool: https://xkcd.com/simplewriter/

(Simple Author's Note)
This story is a writing hard thing to learn. First I wrote a short, simple story, using a simple idea and story things. Then I put that story into Randall Munroe's Word Checker, which only allows for the most used words in the language I am writing in. I also let myself use names and names of places.

Feel free to try it yourself using this checker: https://xkcd.com/simplewriter/

(ORIGINAL STORY)

The day of the race was quickly approaching, and Rainbow Dash was getting ready. It took a lot of work on her part, with days of rigorous practicing and training.

Rainbow had previously talked to Twilight about the best way to get in shape for a race, because Twilight was really good at remembering those sorts of things. "Every book I've read about preparing for races has had three things to remember: You need to work on speed, stamina, and pacing. Make sure you prepare for the length of the race, practicing for a sprint is much different than trying to practice for a mare-athon."

And so the two developed a system for training. Since this race was a long endurance race, Rainbow would fly for fifty miles every morning (slowly). Then she would eat a small nutritious breakfast and rest. She would fly ten miles (quickly) in the evening, and eat a large dinner. She would do this every day until the race, no matter how hard it was.

Rainbow needed a lot of encouragement, because preparing for the race was hard. Thankfully, her friends Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie were always there to help. Fluttershy would fly part of the way with Rainbow in the morning, and the two would talk about animals or wonderbolts (sometimes both). And Pinkie Pie was always at the end of the track in the evening with a smile and a (small) piece of Rainbow's favorite cake. It gave her something to look forward to at the end of her sprint.

Rainbow felt lucky to have such good friends, who always help her whenever she needs them. The night before the race, as she put Tank in his bed, she thought about just how great her friends are, and silently thanked Celestia for bringing them to her.

---

(Simple story)
The day of the quick game was quickly approaching, and Rainbow Dash was getting ready. It took a lot of work on her part, with days of long and hard getting better by trying and training.

Rainbow had before trying to get better by trying talked to Twilight about the best way to get in shape for a quick game, because Twilight was really good at remembering those sorts of things. "Every book I've read about preparing for quick games has had three things to remember: You need to work on being fast, going far, and being slow enough that you don't get tired. Make sure you prepare for how long of the quick game is, because getting better at going fast over a short distance by trying is much different than getting better at going really long by trying."

And so the two came up with a system for training. Since this quick game was a long one that made the players have to go really far without getting tired, Rainbow would fly for a lot of feet every morning (slowly). Then she would eat a small good for her kind of first food of the day and rest. She would fly for a little while (quickly) in the night, and eat a large dinner. She would do this every day until the quick game, no matter how hard it was.

Rainbow needed a lot of help staying happy while trying, because preparing for the quick game was hard. It was a good thing for her, then, that her friends Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie were always there to help. Fluttershy would fly part of the way with Rainbow in the morning, and the two would talk about animals or Wonderbolts (sometimes both). And Pinkie Pie was always at the end of the track in the night with a smile and a (small) piece of Rainbow's most liked sweet. It gave her something to look forward to at the end of her fast flying.

Rainbow felt lucky to have such good friends, who always help her any time she needs them. The night before the quick game, as she put Tank in his bed, she thought about just how great her friends are, and silently thanked Celestia for bringing them to her.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment