• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 872 Views, 20 Comments

The Sight of the Blind - ThePrincessLuna



A young unicorn mare arrives in Ponyville, eager to make a start. She prepares for a life on her own, feeling independent and ready to face the world. There is only one catch to it all. She is blind...

  • ...
2
 20
 872

The Quick and the Quirky

It was only a couple minutes before Fluttershy walked back in through the door, practically dragging another pegasus behind her. She seemed to be vehemently refusing to be helped and insisted she was okay, but Fluttershy wasn't one to let it go at that.

"Come on, 'Shy! I crash all the time... I'm alright, I swear!"

"No, Rainbow Dash! You might be hurt. What if you broke a wing?"

Rainbow gave a frustrated sigh, before responding. "If I broke a wing, could I still move them like this...?"

Fluttershy stopped moving to watch and finally surrendered. "I guess not... I'm sorry. I just wanted to make sure you were okay..."

Aurora trotted back to a chair and sat down, making sure she wouldn't be in the way of anypony. She watched the new pegasus with interest. It was very obvious that the two pegasi were not compatible. One's magic was soft and flowing, the other was jagged, and seemed to shoot off in random directions. She wondered to herself how the two ever maintained a friendship, or if this just happened to be where Rainbow Dash had crashed. Had they ever even met before? The nickname that had been given to Fluttershy seemed to indicate that they had seen each other in the past.

It wasn't until she turned from her thoughts to focus on where the conversation has headed that she noticed that the other ponies seemed to be waiting on her for something. She cleared her throat. "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. What was the question?" She blushed sheepishly as she asked.

"I asked what your name was." Without waiting for a response, she added. "I'm Rainbow Dash, the fastest flier in all of Equestria!"

Her eyes widened at the grand claim. It was probably mostly gloating, but the general atmosphere of the room around them seemed to back up what she had said. Nopony said anything to her about exaggerating, and nopony laughed at the claim.

"Wow, really?" Aurora asked, turning her eyes to the floor again. "I've always wondered what flying is like. From what my parents told me, it sounds like a thrilling experience. I can't even imagine how it must feel..."

Rainbow shrugged. "It feels kinda like a normal trot... without your legs... a lot higher up."

The thought of walking without her legs fried Aurora's brain for a moment, trying to figure out how that was possible, before she remembered that pegasi have wings. So in her mind, she was imagining her legs on her back, walking on nothing and making her float. The notion seemed ridiculous to her. She would have to ask about it again later.

For now, she looked up from her thoughts towards the pony to ask a question that was immediately forgotten upon a chaotic flow of magic appearing that seemed to be... bouncing... two inches from her muzzle. The new arrival let out a long excited gasp before letting flow a torrent of words.

"Hi, who are you? I haven't seen you here before! You're Fluttershy's friend right, because we're in Fluttershy's house and she wouldn't have you in her house if you weren't her friend because she doesn't usually have ponies in her house unless they are her friend. I came by because my tail was a twitchin' and that means something was gonna fall, and I was going around to warn everypony then I saw Rainbow Dash fall and my tail stopped it's twitchin' and so I knew it was Rainbow Dash so I came in the house to see if she was okay and you were here and I've never seen you in town before and that means you must be new. If you really are new, then that means I need to throw you a 'Welcome to Ponyville' party since you've never been to Ponyville before and if I'm going to throw that party I need to go get it ready so I'll be back in a while it was good to meet you.... umm... umm... Oh! I forgot to ask you your name! Who are you?"

Her mind in a flurry, she couldn't think of much, and in the absence of the ability to thought, she simply answered the question. "I'm Aurora..."

Like a rocket that runs on an infinite fuel source, the words took off once again.

"Aurora?! That's a really unique name! I've never heard of an Aurora before. I've heard of a Flora. That's a lot like Rose, because they're both flowers, but your name doesn't have anything to do with flowers... does it? Is there an Aurora flower? Anyways, I need to go get the party ready so I'll see everypony later!"

As the floodgate of words closed, the pink anomaly in the universe shot out the door. Aurora turned back towards the other ponies mouth agape, unable to form a thought. Thankfully her face gave her feelings away and the others giggled softly and explained for her.

"Pinkie Pie can be a bit much to newcomers." Rarity was the first to speak.

Rainbow was simply laughing as she rolled on the floor, apparently thoroughly entertained by Aurora's confusion.

Fluttershy nodded to Rarity's statement and apologized. "I'm sorry. We should have warned you that she might have done that..."

Aurora paused a moment, taking in the information and trying her best to rearrange her thoughts. "Did she say she was throwing me a party...?"

Rainbow spoke up rather quickly. "Aww, yeah! Pinkie throws the best parties!"

Rarity had made her way over to Fluttershy at this point. "We need to get moving, dear, if we want our spa trip to be completed before Pinkie is ready. I really do think we should be looking our best for Aurora's first Pinkie Pie party."

Fluttershy responded with a soft "okay", and followed the unicorn out the door, leaving Rainbow and Aurora alone.

Aurora made her way to the door, feeling a bit awkward being in the shy pegasus' home without her there. As she left, she turned back to Rainbow Dash. "Is there anypony else I should meet before I settle down?"

The pegasus only thinks for a split second before her response. "Yeah, you should probably meet Twilight. She's the librarian here, and a huge part of our group of friends. Just follow me."

Aurora responds with a tilt of her head. "A librarian...?" She didn't know how this would go at all, but she followed anyway...

Author's Note:

It took me forever to get Pinkie down to the degree that I did. Sorry if it's not quite up to standards.

Comments ( 11 )

I really love this story and i love how your bringing in each of their personalities into the story. As soon as i read the part about their being a pink bouncing energy, i immediately knew that it was Pinkie and i read that whole part just as if she was saying it. Same speed, same enthusiasm, and same hyperness. Over all i loved this chapter and i really cant wait for the next one. Please come out with the next one soon:twilightblush::twilightblush::twilightsmile::yay::yay::yay:

I love your story and everything but your chapters are so short! :fluttercry:
You should try writing in larger chunks!

Oh this should be fun... the Blind meets the Book Obsessed Librarian.

3092132

I really try to make larger chunks, but in the end my fear that you will all hate me and abandon me for taking too long wins out, and I post what I have.

3103942
Your story is good so far! Don't let this fear cripple your ability to write chapters. Have some confidence!

:pinkiehappy: :pinkiehappy: I love this story, but... is it on hiatus? :raritydespair: :raritycry:

I know it's been a while since I checked in with you, and I apologize for that, but I'm glad to see that you've published! This story has a lot of potential, I think. I certainly hope you're still updating.

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know. I would be more than happy to help!

bravo:twilightsmile: keep it up!:raritywink:

Good news everypony, I'm picking up on writing this story again. I was having a very tough time in my life, and couldn't find my writing spirit, but it has now returned!

good fuckin story :twilightsmile: and the people who don't like this can go die in a hole:pinkiecrazy:

Login or register to comment