• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 872 Views, 20 Comments

The Sight of the Blind - ThePrincessLuna



A young unicorn mare arrives in Ponyville, eager to make a start. She prepares for a life on her own, feeling independent and ready to face the world. There is only one catch to it all. She is blind...

  • ...
2
 20
 872

A Place to Call Home

When Aurora woke up, the pegasus with the flowing mane was sleeping on the couch. She took a moment and pinged her environment, trying to get a feel for where she was. As the image returned to her, she found that she was now in a spacious cottage with a few rooms and many small animals. She rolled upright and rested her head on her hooves, content with making herself comfortable until Fluttershy woke up.

Remembering where the cup of water was from her earlier pulse, she levitated it to her and took a deep drink. The cool water relaxed her throat, and she soon felt her thirst recede. She hummed quietly as she watched the flow of magic through the room. As her focus settled on the sleeping pony in front of her, she began to note how the magic moved through her. It flowed and curved softly, never making a sharp point, never rough or sharp edged. It told of a pony who was always kind and selfless. Most ponies are simply unorganized chaos when it comes to magic, but Fluttershy was at peace, and never thought to harm a living soul.

She was ripped from her thoughts when a knock at the door grabbed her attention. "Fluttershy? Are you home, dear?" A mare called from the other side. "You seem to have forgotten entirely about our weekly spa appointment. Is everything alright in there?"

"Oh, yes, Rarity. I'll be right there." Fluttershy's soft voice answered the mare's question as she walked to the door, which she opened to reveal a unicorn waiting most impatiently. "I'm very sorry that I didn't make our appointment, but I found this poor unicorn completely unconscious not too far from the Everfree Forest. I just couldn't have left her there all alone. She could have been eaten by a timberwolf. Or worse..."

The curious unicorn trotted daintily into the house until she spotted Aurora. "Hello, dear. Might I ask what you were doing so close to that dreadful forest? Don't you know how dangerous it is there? My, you are very lucky Fluttershy found you as soon as she did."

Aurora listened carefully to the unicorn's words, but was deeply intrigued by the state of her magic. It was not so far from Fluttershy's, but it flowed and crossed itself in such intricate patterns. It was very beautiful to watch as it weaved this way and that, making various lovely designs. It told very vividly of a pony who focused much on visual aspects and beauty.

She flinched shyly as the unicorn repeated a question she had not heard in her fascination. "Where did you come from? Darling, are you listening?" Her voice seemed to carry much frustration at having to repeat herself.

"Oh, I'm sorry... Something... caught my attention. I came from a village just up the river from here. I didn't think that being coddled like a filly in my small village was a wise path for me, so I left. Father talked to Fluttershy about my arrival and gave me some bits to take care of myself, as well as telling me how to get to Ponyville. He said it would be easier to make friends here than in other cities." She kept her eyes lowered to the floor as she spoke.

It surprised her when she heard Rarity's voice from nearly behind her. She hadn't heard the pony walk across the room. "Dear... I don't know how to ask this without offending... But I must ask. Are you... blind? I only ask because you have not seemed to pay attention to anything most ponies would be unable to ignore. I, for one, could not hold my gaze in one place while somepony walked to another as she spoke."

She turned to face the unicorn as she slowly nodded. "Yes, I am... in a way... blind. I don't know what colors are, and I can't see shapes, but I do have the ability to see magic as it flows through Equestria. I see it travel through ponies, animals, trees, and even the grass. It works it's way through nearly everything that lives. Except that forest.... I could not see anything in it. It was like a black nothingness."

Rarity took a step or two back, then spoke once more. "That sounds like a truly unique talent, Miss..."

"My name is Aurora." She quickly completed for the unicorn.

"A lovely name, indeed." Rarity replied a spark of approval in her voice. "Excuse us a moment, dear. I'd like to speak with Fluttershy for a moment in the next room."

She heard hoofsteps leading elsewhere in the spacious cottage and perked up her ears so she could hear what the two ponies were talking about.

"How is a blind pony going to take care of herself all on her own?"

"Oh, well I was going to let her stay with me until she figured that out. She definitely needs somepony's help if she's going to survive."

"Fluttershy, you hardly make enough bits to care for yourself, surely I could take care of her."

A bit of embarrassment flooded Aurora's cheek with a blush. They were talking about who's burden she would be. They didn't think she could pull her own weight or provide for herself. She stood up and walked into the room with them, clearing her throat softly for attention.

"I have a spare room at the bou-... Oh um... Hello, Aurora..." Rarity cut herself off as soon as the blind unicorn entered the room. "We were just talking about... Where a friend of ours could sleep over." Her lie was poorly made, but Aurora didn't care, she already knew what she was going to say.

"I can take care of myself. While a place to stay is nice, I can find work and pay for my own living costs... I'm not a burden, and I'd hate to hold somepony back. I thank you so much, Fluttershy, for your kindness and care. Thank you for bringing me inside after my exhaustion, and thank you so much for a place to stay. I promise I will do my best to take care of my own costs as long as I stay here, but thank you for giving me a home. I am a somewhat skilled..." Her voice trailed off as a loud thud sounded from the cottage's roof, followed by a strained groan.

Fluttershy quickly responded. "You're very welcome, Aurora. I'm glad to have you, but somepony might be hurt, so I'll be back in just a few seconds..." She raced from the room and took flight outside of her door, leaving Rarity and Aurora awkwardly standing alone in silence.