• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 873 Views, 20 Comments

The Sight of the Blind - ThePrincessLuna



A young unicorn mare arrives in Ponyville, eager to make a start. She prepares for a life on her own, feeling independent and ready to face the world. There is only one catch to it all. She is blind...

  • ...
2
 20
 873

A Mare's Sendoff

Her eyes opened, and she stretched her legs as she woke from her sleep. It was a new morning for Aurora, warm and welcoming, but it was a day she knew would be filled with many tears. Stepping out of the bed, she concentrated her thoughts and sent out a small pulse of magic. It reflected noiselessly off of each of her walls, returning to her as she focused. Her brush was just to her right, and she grasped it with her magic, pulling it alongside her.

She sighed, sending out a second wave of energy, and made her way through the door, managing to slam her right foreleg into a box just outside of her room. She bit back a curse, which probably would have been 'darn' at the worst. She certainly wouldn't ever be known as a vulgar pony.

"Is everything alright, Aurora?" She heard her mother calling from down the hallway.

"Yes, mom. I just hit my leg on something." She quickly replied.

Her mother's hushed voice traveled the hallway as she scolded her father for leaving things about again.

This was her last day to spend here with her parents. They had always loved and cared deeply for her, despite being born blind. She knew that seeing her leave was the last thing any of them wanted, but she also knew, somewhere inside her, that she needed to learn how to support herself and make friends of her own. Her parents wouldn't be there forever. If her life kept its current track, she would one day be left alone.

Her thoughts were cut short by her arrival in the main room of the house. The hardest part of each morning was behind her. Now that she was in the room with her parents, she could see their essence, the magic flowing between them and the world around them.

While she couldn't see in the normal sense of the word, her magical sight revealed glowing lines of energy traveling through the midnight darkness. As each line traveled through the dark void, it left echoes, which softly splashed across a small area along its path. This was how she saw things. It was truly extraordinary sometimes, like being at a fireworks show for an important holiday, and yet other times, it was more like a gentle trickle across a vast expanse of nothing. This was Aurora's life.

"Good morning, Aurora. Did you sleep well last night?" Her mother sweetly called from the kitchen where she was cooking a small breakfast.

Aurora followed the echoes of her mother's magic to a small table near the kitchen, almost running into it before she finally stopped and sat. She lifted a hoof which tapped the table's edge with a soft click. "Yes... I feel well rested. How late did I sleep?"

Her mother gathered the two eggs and placed them on either side of a couple daisies, setting the meal on the table in front of Aurora. She took the brush from the air with her magic and carefully began to brush Aurora's tangled mane. "Not too late. It's about an hour until noon." After she had finished straightening out the unruly mane, she put the brush aside, tying a small bow at the end.

Before she could take a bite of her meal, her mother spotted the bruise starting to darken on her right foreleg and ran her hoof carefully around it, which was her way of showing her sympathy. "I really need to talk to your father about setting things so carelessly in the hallway... This has happened too many times."

Aurora winced slightly at the contact to her sensitive bruising, but soon began eating her meal as her mother picked up the brush to begin grooming her tail. "What's the weather like today? Is it good weather for a run through the fields?"

Her mind begin to race as she remembered two days ago, galloping through the fields outside of their small village. She loved the feel of the breeze across her coat. The sounds of life around her. And the sight... The magic was everywhere, in all things alive. So much life and magic around her, she would occasionally forget her blindness in pure bliss and joy. She ran and trotted and cantered through the tall grass, humming and singing happily until she was eventually exhausted, at which point she would simply lay where she was, and enjoy all the life that was around her, feeling so completely at one with nature.

Her mother's calm voice pulled her back in to reality when she spoke. "It raining outside, but not hard enough to prevent you from enjoying yourself. Just don't stay outside for too long."

Aurora blinked as she realized she had already finished her food, then grasped her plate with her magic and started to try to take it to the sink, but her mother quickly pulled it away from her. "I'll take that, we have enough broken dishes already." Her voice contained a small giggle in it as she spoke.

As she got up to go outside, her father got up from his meal as well, walking to the sink and placing the dishes there. "We need to talk to you , Aurora, but I don't want to stop you from enjoying the time you will still spend here. It can wait until later."

She opened the door quickly with her magic and raced outside, nearly running into one of the town's retail owners. She ducked around him and turned her head back shouting in an apologetic tone, "Sorry, Mr. Cross!" Travelling more carefully, she made her way to the edge of the village, stopping a moment before jumping around excitedly.

She raced through the fields, completely ignoring the weather as she felt each hoof as it contacted the ground. The earth felt amazing underneath each step as it pushed up to meet her, sinking only very little under her light weight. She galloped along, lapping the city multiple times, loving the flare of each deep breath that filled her lungs. She felt so alive.

Eventually, her bounding energy faded, and she found herself idly cantering along. It didn't take long for her to notice that the rain was starting to come down in sheets. It drenched her coat, and she immediately made for the city again, the familiar patterns running through the grass below her telling her exactly where she was. She made her way into the streets, swerving to avoid other rushing ponies by as much girth as possible, ensuring that she wouldn't bump into any of them.

As she was weaving right to miss a small group galloping by, she hit her left forehoof on the cobbled path, tripping herself and causing her to smash her bruised foreleg against a large apple cart that had come from Appleoosa to try its business in the small town. The pain elicited a cry from her lips and drew tears to the young mare's eyes.

Eventually, Aurora made it back to her home, bursting in through the door with tears soaking her cheeks along with the drenching rain dripping from her body. "M..mom? It started raining harder! I-it's cold..."

Her mother gave her a warm smile and covered her in a towel. "I'm glad you came back so soon. I wouldn't want you to get sick."

Aurora smiled at first, but it quickly faded as she limped across the room. Her bruise had now spread across the entire leg, and burned with intense pain at any pressure applied to it. Her mother quickly grabbed a small bag and filled it with ice using her magic, and, after applying a pain relief medicine, pushed it gently against the damaged leg.

"I'm fine..." she managed, after a couple minutes of letting the ice and salve work against the bruise. "I can handle it now..."

Her father quickly walked to her side and sat next to her. He nuzzled her affectionately, a solemn look spreading across his face as he spoke. "We know that you have made up your mind about this... and your mother and I think you are right. You need to learn to take care of yourself and make your own friends... We can't keep you here forever, treating you like a little filly. You have grown up so fast... All I know to do is send you off with our love and best wishes. You are so important to us... to me..."

As the words left his mouth, Aurora's eyes filled with tears, and she softly cried, burying her face in her mother's coat. "I know, daddy... I know I'm ready... But where will I go? What can I do for money?"

Seeing his daughter so broken at his words ripped at her father's heart. It took all of his fortitude to hold back his own tears from falling. "I've found a place where you can go. It's not too far, so we'll still be here if you need us. And I've put a few dozen bits in your saddlebags, which should be enough for food until you can get on your own hooves. I talked to a pony who lives in the town, and she said she could let you stay with her until you are ready. She is a very kind pony and I trust her with your safety. I have your things packed up here..." He laid the saddlebags across her back, slowly and carefully. "... And... Aurora... I know you'll be okay... You are a very strong pony... You didn't even let blindness hold you back, and found your own way to see... And now... now... It's time for you to be grown up... and make your own life..."

With these words, his strength gave way, and the entire family cried together and hugged each other tightly. Her father held the door for her as he told her, sadness permeating his voice. "Follow the river, little angel. It will take you to Ponyville. A pegasus named Fluttershy will be waiting there for you..." His tears flooded again for a moment, and he grabbed her as she passed. " I love you so so very dearly...."

Aurora could only nod, fearing that she would cry if she spoke, but mustered the emotional strength to say one thing before she left. "I know, daddy... I won't let you down."

The open door revealed the skies now clear, the storm from earlier had ended. She ran as fast as she could, tears falling down her cheeks onto the street as soon as she was beyond the sight of her house. She would do it for him... she had to...

Author's Note:

This is my first story, so I'm sorry if it isn't the greatest. I read so many great stories here that I felt like trying one myself. Any criticism or support is greatly appreciated and I will always be doing my best. Thank you, Hoopy McGee for all of your editing help and advice. You are what is making this possible.