• Published 1st May 2013
  • 239 Views, 5 Comments

Great Night for Midnight - AzureFlame314



A short story of a day in the life of three siblings: Midnight Rose, Scarlett Dusk and their big brother Shade

  • ...
 5
 239

Chapter 1

The clear, silent skies of Equestia. There was nothing that the carefree Pegasus pony Midnight Rose enjoyed more. The young and energetic pony almost blended in with the sky itself with her grey coat tinted with a very slight dark blue. Her bright red rose colored mane and double scythe shaped tail are what would make her noticeable though. It wouldn’t be too terribly hard to spot her flying around at night. She flies over to a cloud and touches down.
“Ahhh…nothing in Equestria is better than this. Nice calm quiet night. Princess Luna really outdid herself.” Midnight relaxes on a cloud high in the sky, MP3 player resting against her flank, lying on top of her cutie mark bearing musical notes as she gazes at the bright full moon before her. She was in total bliss. “Midnight! Miiiiidniiiiiight!” She heard her name being called in the distance and poked her head from the side of her cloud to see a pony with a scarlett shaded coat and dusk colored mane and tail in the shape of a double scythe, exactly like her tail was shape, with red highlights. It was her sister, Scarlett Dusk, waving at her from below.
Scarlett was younger than Midnight by a year, and they were both every close and near inseparable. She was an earth pony, Midnight was a Pegasus but that never kept them from doing almost everything together. Their parents were away quite often, leaving them in the care of their big brother Shade. Shade was a unicorn, very good with magic. He went to school with the extremely gifted unicorn Twilight Sparkle and often studied together with her. The two were quite good friends, and sort of competed with each other on occasion, which would explain his proficiency with magic, although he admits he isn’t quite as good as she is but it never bothered him. Shade stood around a foot taller than Scarlett and Midnight. His coat was as black as the night with his mane In sort of a wavy Mohawk style, midnight blue with a lighter blue shade highlighting it with his tail colors matching, which was also in the shape of a double scythe, same as Midnight and Scarlett.

“Yo, sis! What’s up?” She responded, waving back at her.

“Big bro wants you; he says he’s got a present for ya!” Scarlett replied with an excited smile.
Midnight grabbed her MP3 player in her mouth and placed it in a pouch tightly secured to her side and closed it shut, her earbuds still in her ears, with the music turned down low and took flight, twirling and spinning as she descended to the ground. She always liked to perform little stunts while flying, heading straight in one direction seemed boring to her so she always had to pull off a stunt or two wherever she was going. She seemed to do it so much growing up that it just became a natural part of her flying.
She got low enough to the ground that she could talk to Scarlett without having to talk loudly. “A present, eh? Did he say what it is?” Midnight smiled excitedly, she knew that whenever her big brother had something for either of them it was always totally awesome.

“Hehe, nope!” Scarlett giggled at her sister, “But we should go see, he got me a little something too and told me to come get you so we can open our gifts together. Come on! I’ll race ya! No wings this time ya bum!” Scarlett poked her tongue at her older sister jokingly. Midnight playfully swatted her with her wing. “Haha! Alright little sister you’re on! No wings!” The two sisters line up side by side and get ready to race.

“Ready?” Midnight started as she flaps her wings twice before closing them tightly at her sides.

“Set?” Scarlett continued as she grinned, snorting and kicking her hoof against the ground brushing it back.

“GO!!” They both yell as they gallop forward kicking blades of grass behind them.

“You’re not getting me this time big sis!” Scarlett bumps her sister and blows a raspberry at her and laughs.

“Oh, no you didn’t!” She bumps her back and giggles as they run through the Everfree forest heading home. Nopony was really brave enough to live in the Everfree forest but it didn’t really bother these three siblings much. They stuck to themselves and the wildlife around them surprisingly didn’t bother them much, even the Timberwolves.
They cut through trees and raised roots and finally are a few feet from their home.

“I got you this time Midnight!” Scarlett puts all her effort into a final dash towards the house. Midnight does the same and the two burst through the front door startling their elder brother.

“What the blue hay?!” Shade shouted, startled out of his seat and sends a flurry of books off of the living room bookshelf flying towards the door, Scarlett and Midnight scream as they are covered in dozens of books.

“Scarlett? Midnight? What in Sweet Luna’s name is going on? What are you guys doing?” Shade questioned the two little ponies from behind his chair. “Uuugggghhhh, racing, “ Midnight groaned looking over to her big brother, then chuckled as she sees him behind is chair, hiding. “Did we scare you or something? You ok?”

“H-huh? Yea! I’m fine!” He quickly came from behind the chair to collect himself, “you just… startled me for a sec… that’s all. I see Scarlett found you.”
“Yeah! And totally kicked her rump in a race! Ha!” Scarlett exclaims as she pops from underneath the pile of books. “I beat you and you know it sis.”
The race was very close, but Midnight knew she was bested this time. She chuckled lightly and hovered over to her little sister, playfully putting her in a headlock and giving her a noogie. “Yea yea, you got me this time little sister.” The two siblings share a laugh and the older one releases her sister, turning to her older brother. “So, what’s up big bro? What was it you got us?” she asked, collecting books from the floor and placing them on the shelves. Scarlett assists her.

“Go on upstairs to your rooms and see, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I can take it from here, I need to reorganize these books properly anyways.“ Shade’s horn glowed with a dark blue magical aura and all the books that were sprawled across the room circled around and were magically placed one by one in order. Midnight and Scarlett proceeded up the stairs to their rooms and were greeted with a most pleasant surprise indeed. In Midnight’s room was a new turn table and speakers with a subwoofer for her small music studio she had, and in Scarlett’s room was a new set of paint brushes, an easel, and other art supplies. To say they were both ecstatic was a major understatement. They both squealed with joy and rushed back down the stairs to hug and squeeze the dear life out of their big brother.

“OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH!! I LOVE IT!! THANK YOU SO MUCH BIG BROTHER!!” They both nuzzled and hugged their older brother so hard he almost couldn’t breathe. He laughed and returned the hug. Finally after a minute or so of much thanks and hugging finally Shade was released and he had a moment to breathe.

“Well im glad you two loved you’re gifts,” He laughed. “I figured you two deserved something nice for doing so well in your classes. Waited until you guys had a break from school to finally give them to you, I’ve had them for quite a while now.”

“Where in Equestria did you hide them?” Scarlet asked, raising an eyebrow, “surely not in the house anywhere, I know this house like the back of my hoof. Comes with being bored sometimes, you get the need to explore stuff, hehe.”

“Nope, not in the house, out in the forest. Plenty of places to hide stuff in, and even if I did decide to hide them in the house, I’m sure I could have hid them well enough, I CAN use magic after all silly little filly.” Shade chuckled as he patted Scarlett on the head.

“Man, I’m gonna have SOOOO much fun with this thing! I gotta tell Pinkie and Vinyl tomorrow! We gotta throw a party to test it out soon!” Midnight grinned widely at the thought. She knew she could drop some epic beats with her new turntable and speakers. Finally feeling tired, probably from all that excitement combined with a long day of classes, Midnight lets out a yawn.

“Long day?” her brother asked.

“Yea, fun though. Since it was the last day and the start of summer break, the teachers decided to let all the students have a day out around the campus. No work, just a bunch of fun. And being the popular pony I am up there I was asked to help with the festivities and such.”

“Today was pretty fun, it was nice taking a break from all that work. The teachers are really cool. They hung out with the students and everything even had a volleyball competition.“ Scarlett added.

“Sounds like fun it was a lot of fun.” Shade said with a smile.

“It really was, I’m beat, too much fun for one day. I’m hittin’ the hay. Goodnight guys! “Midnight let out another yawn as she climbed the stairs to her room. Scarlett gave her brother a goodnight hug and started up the stairs behind Midnight and to her own room. Shade decided to stay up a bit longer in his chair next to the fireplace to read a little more before turning in for the night.
Midnight climbed into bed, looking up at the ceiling with a smile, somewhat lost in thought. Thoughts of tomorrow with her friends swirled around in her head. “I’ll see what they’re all up to tomorrow, I’ve been so busy with school that I havn’t had much time to hang with them.” Midnight said to herself and yawned once again before drifting off to sleep. She had an exciting day with her friends planned and she wanted to get to that day as soon as possible.

Author's Note:

Constructive criticism is encouraged. I haven't written a good story in quite a while, so I'd be more than happy to read suggestions on what I can do to improve as a writer and such. Had a bit of difficulty figuring out how to post this... heheh....

Comments ( 5 )

So, here's a quick list of positives and negatives

Negatives:
-I know it's only a short story, but the story isn't very captivating, it's about as bland as a grocery list, sorry.
-Never use Ponymaker for cover art. Ever.

Positives
-Descriptive and well written
-Good gtammar

Overall, if you touched up on some flaws like the cover art and made a more intriguing story with Midnight, people might get interested, overall this gets a "meh" :applejackunsure:

That's a nice story, but it feels... incomplete. I'd like to see more of the adventures of theses three ponies, if you would be so kind.

2514046 Not my best work I'll admit. I do plan on making more with these 3 as inspiration hits me.

2513265 I appreciate the feed back, Its been so long since I've written anything so as you can see I'm a bit.... rusty i suppose? Hopefully I'll get better with this stuff as time goes on and be able to organize my thoughts better with this stuff.

2513265 And as for the cover art, well I didn't know what else to really put as this is my very first time posting on this site. I'll try to find something better next time or change this if I can.

Login or register to comment