The Writers' Group 9,297 members · 56,439 stories
Comments ( 42 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 42

So, what's the thing Celestia wears around her neck called?

I've been wondering this for ages. I tend to just refer to it as either regalia, a collar, or perhaps even an amulet, I suppose.

3988344 my headcanon says its her own magical item which allows her to use smalls remnants of the Elements of Harmony's power

Epsilon-Delta
Group Admin

It's called a yoke.

That's what it is? A yolk? Fancy as it is, that seems like a pretty odd thing for a princess to wear, unless it's supposed to be symbolic.

Luminary
Group Contributor

It's a torc/torq/torque, probably.
A stiff metal neck-ring.

If you want to consider it functional or protective, then I guess it's a peytral, which is the barding that protects a horse's chest.

3988348 I think you must mean "yoke." I suppose that might make sense if she's in service to Equestria, but I think it's a torque.

Luminary
Group Contributor

Yokes are for pulling loads. They're not actually the thing that goes around an animal's neck.

You're probably thinking of an oxbow, which is what Big Mac wears. You would attach the yoke (which is basically just a fitted wooden post with bolts or something driven into it.) to the top of that thing, and secure the chains to the yoke.

3988344 I call it a Torque. I've seen peytral too.

My headcanon has it as a Peytral. The three elements of her regalia signify the three tribes of ponies: Golden shoes crafted by earth ponies, a golden crown made by the unicorns in the era of Princess Platinum, and a Peytral created from a piece of the helmet from every pegasus tribal leader to signify their loyalty.

3988379 Actually it's from Monster (Chap. 17):
The golden shoes only seemed to fit loosely, enchanted to remain firmly in place no matter her physical condition. The hooves those shoes encased had worn out uncounted pairs of the finest steel ever to pass an earth pony farrier’s hammer. The golden crown was supposedly made from the gold Unicornia had salvaged during their ancient flight to Equestria, forged by Princess Platinum herself, or at least by unicorns in her employ, and reforged every few centuries since. Only her Peytral of Office was still the original, made by the warriors of the pegasi from a single piece of metal taken from each clan leader’s helm to signify their obedience. The weight dragged at her thin shoulders, weighing down her head and hooves with far more than simple gold and steel. It would be a burden she would gladly carry on this one last and final trip. Cadence would be better off making her own symbols of office without the shame and disgrace these carried.

3988344 The proper term is Peytral, from horse barding, but calling it a torc (single piece necklace) wouldn't be far off the mark.
3988357 3988369 Eeyup :eeyup:

The thing with a torc is it tends to stay tight to the neck; much as a choker would. Celestia's neck garment doesn't do that. A peytral or oxbow would work, though; both could signify a nature of servitude, a symbolic representation of Celestia's duty to Equestria. A yoke would also work, though would have significantly less symbolism, but it would technically fit. Thanks for the replies, though, everyone!

Luminary
Group Contributor

The thing with a torc is it tends to stay tight to the neck;

Well, there's practical reasons for that. Mostly because torcs were generally meant for near-permanent wear (many couldn't be removed easily). So you don't want more heavy metal around your neck than you need to have, for the effect (Ponies, however, seem to have no trouble with downright terrifying loads). And because you don't want something that slaps around and smacks you when you move. Celestia's is rather form-fitting, and it's absurd size alone would probably keep it in place quite well.

But yes, for my part, I've mostly called it a peytral (for symbolic reasons) in my own fics.

ThatWeatherstormChap
Group Contributor

A neckerchief.
Oh, sorry, I thought you said pretentious hipsters.

Luminary
Group Contributor

It's from Europe. An uncultured American wouldn't understand.

ThatWeatherstormChap
Group Contributor

I kinda want a picture of a lemon wearing a neckerchief now.
Someone should get on that.

Torc seems to be the closest match - most torcs are rings that are open in the front, but some are flat and fastened at the back, like Celestia's appears to be.

You might also simply call it a "collar."

Eh, I hesitate to call it that. "Yoke" has strong agricultural connotations - it's very specifically something you put on an animal to make it pull a cart or something similar. Calling Celestia's necklace a yoke is sorta like referring to a crown as a "helmet." You can, but it doesn't seem quite right.

Well, to be perfectly honest, there does need to be some liberties taken given it's a human-origin accessory being used on a fictional horse with impossible proportions.

But in terms of tightness...well, depending on how canon you might consider the S2 Full Cast group poster (one of the four freebie posters from Wal-Mart years ago), the CMC each are wearing a piece of Luna's regallia and her torc appears to be a perfect fit on Apple Bloom so maybe they're magically fitted to be just right depending on who wears it? Wouldn't be the first time, since the show has had similar worn objects do much the same thing I.E. Alicorn Amulet.

3988369 Yeah, I like that idea, too.

3988344 IDK... it kind of looks like a dickie...

You know, a metal sorta dickie...

Whoever said yoke, that is probably what it is, though.

The closest in human-wear would be a gorget, a metal plate intended to protect the neck and which eventually shrunk to a more ceremonial/decorative piece. A torc might also qualify, though they tend to be simple rings instead of wider plates.

The closest in (lower-case) equestrian gear would probably be a peytral, which is the term for the chest portion of armor in barding. It's possible that Celestia's smaller and more decorative piece follows a similar evolution as the gorget did in human history. Personally, this is the version I use, since using horse-words for as much as possible seems very fitting for the setting.

3988365 Big McIntosh is a Clydesdale, a large work horse that is used to carry heavy loads (like the Budweiser Beer carriages in the commercials). Applejack is a Palomino, and the town of Apploosa (where Braeburn hails from) is based on another breed of horse. Lots of equine puns in the show.

Luminary
Group Contributor

Um. Yes?
Not sure what that has to do with anything, but horse puns are certainly a thing.

The closest in human-wear would be a gorget, a metal plate intended to protect the neck

Yes, I, too, listened to Wu-Tang Clan, once.

3989085 Even the -pony suiffix used in the show is used quite often as references to Hay, Straw, and oats, principal staple food items for the ponies.

Hitting the Straw - going to bed (Rainbow dash says this in Sleepless in Ponyville when the CMC, Rarity, and AJ go camping with her).

What the Hay/Hay there!

Applejack and her family often use southern euphanisms into their dialogue "What in Tarnation?" "Ponyfeathers!" Granny Smith uses some old fashioned ponisms like "feathers on a goat" And some food items have been uttered by AJ "For Corn's Sake!" (said after getting her brother to explain why Fluttershy's voice was deeper in Filli Vannili.

AJ: Lemme guess...Turkey Call?
Big Mac: Eeyup...
AJ: Lost Yer voice?
AJ: Zecora?
Big mac: Eeyup...
AJ: Cure not fast 'nough?
Aj: Poison Joke?
AJ: Flutterguy?
Big mac: Eeyup....

Best brother/sister conversation in MLP ever (other then Twilight and Shining Armor in the Canterlot wedding episodes)

Giving a Flying feather - is this the closest to a swear word for MLP, and from the assertive Fluttershy from Putting your Hoof Down, of all ponies!

Luminary
Group Contributor

I don't know what this random trivia has to do with anything. :raritydespair:

But, well, okay! If random trivia is a thing now, I'll get into the spirit:

Applejack appears in more episodes than Twilight Sparkle.

Giving a Flying feather - is this the closest to a swear word for MLP, and from the assertive Fluttershy from Putting your Hoof Down, of all ponies!

They say 'Horseapples'.
Horseapples are horse poop. It's literally them saying 'shit'.

Why would I listen to Wu-Tang Clan even once?

Or: no, it's not some obscure reference. It's a statement about what a gorget does. Just because a common way of phrasing something happened to be similar to a phrase used in a particular work doesn't mean that a use of that phrasing is a reference to that work.

Why would I listen to Wu-Tang Clan even once?

Because Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothing to fuck with, son.

:pinkiehappy:

Yeah, that just makes me even less interested in listening to them. Which is kind of impressive in its own right.

But this seems to have drifted rather severely off-topic, now...

3988344 Torc is the best I've heard, and it's what I plan on using when necessary.

I personally go with 'peytral' though 'criniere' is another possibility. I always felt it was too slim and different to be a yoke, especially when you've got definitive yokes in the MLP universe (i.e. Big Mac's). I suppose a torc works, but peytrals and crinieres are more equine-specific.

My headcanon is that her regalia she wears is fake and that the originals are put away safely somewhere. Remember, she wears the same outfit to everything from royal parties to knock-down drag-out fights with incarnations of darkness, not to mention she travels everywhere in an open topped flying chariot. If her crown goes flying off (though her Big Necklace Thingy is probably safe) it had better be something fairly cheap and not some priceless one-of-a-kind relic.

i just call it her necklace, but idk what kind of necklace it is

Look who brought this thread back from the dead.

Oh, fine! I'll answer it too. Personally, I wouldn't use the word necklace. It's too large and bulky to be a necklace. I vote for "magical talisman" that increases Celestia's power. Although not descriptive to a T, it matches. I don't like most of the other suggestions on this thread. As far as I can tell, it's hard to find a name for it that doesn't suck the whimsy out of it.

6344883 How did you find this thread?

through the groups search option

i dont see it as a tailismen. i kinda see the idea of celestias regailia being magical as a way of saying that shes been cheating to stay in power. which just doesnt go with tia or her character.

6344998 That explains this group. It does not explain this thread. Share with us your secrets, necromancer.

Well, excuse me, but this idea of Celestia as a symbol of archetypal goodness is way overplayed. There's no chance in the world of maintaining a state, such as Equestria is, and being a paragon of virtue at the same time. You won't get the wise king without the tyrannical king. It's an archetypal truth. There is no such thing as morally good state, because inherent to every state are both social freedom and constriction. A structure protects, and a structure constricts, so there are two sides to every coin.

Edit: For those who think there's an internal contradiction in my argument, you're right. I just think that's inherent to the logic of the show, and not my reasoning.

Edit 2: Edited to avoid pointless future argument over internal contradiction.

The group has an option to look up stuff inside the group. So I looked up this group there.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 42