The Insane Creators Guild 639 members · 2,257 stories
Comments ( 28 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 28
Darkevony
Group Contributor

Sorry, this post is entirely an excuse to indulge in my nostalgia a bit. Took a look at all the earliest MLP-related videos that I favorited on Youtube and took an emotional trip. Still, I would like to know what everyone's introduction to the show was! There's a full decade's worth of mlp stuff that flew me by. But for now, hope you enjoy mine!

Starting off with THE video that put MLP on the radar for me. Not only does it give me goosebumps even now, it allowed me to see FIM's beautiful aesthetic and vibrant animation style. As a big fan of animation, I felt like I had to give it a watch after that. Sure enough, all anyone needs is a foot in the door for such a wonderful show.

But more than PonyCraft, this video is the one that fills me with a crazy amount of nostalgia. Combining one of the most impactful movie songs from Mulan with the early episodes of the show made me weepy watching it again. Swells up a bit when I remember all my old friends I met on here because of the show and its budding community.

And then we had some laughs along the way.

And some fantastically hilarious, great stories.

Finally, I leave you with the song that has lulled me to sleep a great many times throughout my life, and has helped me concentrate on my writing when I needed to quiet my thoughts. Even when I fell out of love with the show for a near decade, I still listened to this song regularly. It'll stick with me until the sun no longer shines for me. In my eternity.

gman1311
Group Contributor

Many things, but the biggest one had to be the tumblr “ask me” pages where artist would draw mlp characters answering the questions. I loved many of them, jappleack, discorded doctor whooves, lil miss rarity, researcher twilight sparkle.

I really liked the darker and grittier stuff people would make. This was around 2014 and 2015 for me. I dipped out after 2016.

What brought me back was anon’s pie adventurer. I loved so much I started looking for HIE fanfics. For a while it was exclusively HIE. Then I read fallout equestria and I loved it.

And here I am currently pretty late to the gen 4 parties. I'm far more cynical when it comes to which fics I read.

sykko
Group Contributor

What got me interested was when I found a documentary about bronies on YouTube staring and narrated by John de Lancie.

Admiral Producer
Group Contributor

You want to know what got me into the fandom? A Princess Twilight Sparkle plush toy. I remember seeing it at an airport store about 7 years ago or something and being immediately hooked. I wanted to buy that toy so badly, so when I got to Japan with my family, I looked up the name, found a fan edit of the pilot episode and watched it.

I then watched the “Cutie Map” Season 5 opener a couple days afterward and just like that, I became a proud Brony. Pretty cool how I discovered the show when Season 5 was airing and got to enjoy Seasons 6, 7, 8, and 9 with the rest of you. I will never forget that fateful walk by the South Coast News store and buying Twilight.

It honestly felt like I was destined to discover the show.

Black--Soul
Group Contributor

1. The Canon show
2. YOUTUBE fan videos
3. Reading stories on Fimfiction
4. Writing stories on Fimfiction

Darkevony
Group Contributor

I know what you mean. The first story on FimFiction to ever floor me was "Through The Eyes of Another Pony", an HiE. It was funny, gripping, and all I could feel was a sense of envy that it was so good, even when I hadn't begun writing stories at all at the time. I wanted to make something like that. Though what I like to read vs what I like to write is entirely separate, since I could never get myself to do an HiE other than my Pokemon crossover, but whose sole reason for being an HiE was to justify specific story beats.

Nowadays, I'm too strung along by my own artsy fartsy developments as an author. The only stories I like to read are deeply philosophical ones or those that speak on the "human experience". I can't even enjoy a good romance or comedy story anymore, which were my favorites before, without thinking about how I would represent those ideas. The only stories that call my attention anymore are those created like a web of themes made to fit together with symbolism and meaning behind almost everything. Stories that beat anything I could do out of the water. Which is as you can imagine, taking chunks out of my enjoyment for most stories. I can turn my brain off for movies and shows. I can't for reading books. Cynicism is killer. It's no exaggeration to say that becoming a writer made me a worse reader, haha.

:ajsleepy: Like Sysiphus, I am bound to hell.

The good news is, for any authors I've liked, favorited, and Golden Standard their stories, at least coming from me it means a lot more because of my stringent, picky likes. Silver linings and all that.

Even Evil Has Standards
Group Contributor

Thomas the Tank Engine if you can believe it.

Yes, those cheesy crossovers are what practically introduced me to FiM.

FederalPony
Group Contributor

I got into the fandom and the show from, well boredom, I knew about bronies at the time, but wasn’t interested. It was only after I ran out of Godzilla animated tv episodes did I go to MLP. At first I asked myself why, but as I got into it more, I started to love it, when I started seeing the fan animations and got to know more about the fandom. I just had to take part. Now here I am I love this fandom, I love the fics, the animations, the music, never been to a convention though, but I hope to go to one, one of these days.

Arthor2017
Group Contributor

I've read that same question so many times, but I haven't the time to post an answer until now.

What got me into the fandom of My Little Pony were two factors; actually, three factors:

• The early parodies animation of Friendship is Magic, wich I discovered out of curiosity and boredom.
  • The episode Dragonshy, the one that catched my attention wich after watching earned my respect towards the show.
  • The G1 show. That's right, I used to watch the old My Little Pony cartoon (I'm aware it begin during the 80's, I was born in the 90's but some episodes got aired within such period). After that, I thought there wouldn't be something that equals the first generation until the arrival of the G4.
Ebonis
Group Contributor

Two things
1) This Death Battle

2) This review of Bridle Gossip by The Fiery Joker

Comment posted by Mixmaster226 deleted Feb 12th, 2023
gman1311
Group Contributor

Holy shit really? I usually write those off as memes or for little kids, but I doubt kids under the age of 12 are on this site.

Even Evil Has Standards
Group Contributor

It wasn't the memes. It was actual fanfiction on DeviantArt and Fanfiction.net.

Joe Toon
Group Contributor

Two things:

1. The Frostpunk parody

2. Ink Potts' animatic of "In the Dark of the Night

Then it spiraled out of control from there.

Knight of Crows
Group Contributor

My brother showed me the things that would eventually get me into the fanbase:
Aviators and other musicians.
Dr. Wolf and the crew he frequently does collaborations with.
Smile HD.
JHaller's top 10 MLP videos.
Then other things that got me curious enough to check out Past Sins. Yes, I read a fanfic before I even saw the first episode.

Infinity Eternity
Group Contributor

YouTube Kids. There were tons of 3 to 4 minute clips from random episodes across seasons. I saw them pop up constantly, so eventually I caved and watched some and got hooked. Season 8 had been airing so clips of the Young Six showed up a lot, and they quickly became my favourite characters. I was also just discovering fanfiction, and stumbled upon fimfiction which I now use constantly.

Chrome Masquerade
Group Contributor

For a fair while, RD was my favourite pony.

TMy Little Exalt
When ponies get trapped in another world, lives change. When ponies gain new powers, worlds shake.
Lithl · 108k words  ·  228  12 · 6.9k views
the7Saviors
Group Contributor

An audio reading of Fallout Equestria. Not only was the narration top notch (can't remember the YouTuber) but it was pretty much everything I was looking for in a grimdark story. Was blindsided by the quality and it, and other FO:E fics became my obsession for a good couple of months. For a time FO:E was literally all I would read/listen to.

Eventually I found other stories to read on the site and now all I read (and write) are grimdark/dark fantasy/horror fics that generally center around Twilight. Still, FO:E will always hold a special place in my heart.

Curtis Wildcat
Group Contributor

My route to MLP can be summarized thusly:

Touhou Project --> Sakuya vs Dio One Minute Melee --> Reaction videos --> Starscream Vs. Rainbow Dash DB --> Reaction videos --> Turnabout Storm --> Reaction videos --> Checked TV Tropes --> Reaction videos for particularly funny or awesome MLP episodes (Shanmul1995, DoYouWantToBeABrony) --> Watched "Slice of Life" and became fully hooked

If I explained it in full, we'd be here a while. ()^_^

The Ohvist
Group Contributor

TF2 Gmod got me introduced to Ponies, initially.

Then making a promise to see what the hubub was all about... after I finished watching Highschool Of The Dead.

I then made a Youtube video about New Years.

AgentKorpsman
Group Contributor

For me is watching bronies react

Harasha the Gryphon
Group Contributor

furaffinity changed it's layout to celebrate the start of season 2 and I'd seen pony stuff pop up on occasion. after the layout change I decided to look up pirate episodes on youtube to see what the fuss was about.

MikiStenbeck
Group Contributor

ever heard of the Pony .Mov videos? yeaaaa that was my introduction. XD

Darkevony
Group Contributor

Apples.Mov was actually on my list for the first few videos I ever favorited! They're still funny to me even now, but I'm a lot more sensitive to the mean-spirited nature of some of them. That's just Hotdiggidey's brand of humor I understand, but they're kinda hard to revisit now.

MikiStenbeck
Group Contributor

that they indeed are.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 28