You Might Like This 263 members · 41 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26
Timaeus
Group Admin

Got any stories that you think we should take a look at? Did we miss something that you think is pretty awesome? Here's the place to post the story and recommend it to one of us Readers.

BUT FIRST, RULES!

1. Please refrain from posting any NSFW or trollfic stories. Comments that link those will be deleted.
2. Don't beg for one of us to read a story of any kind. If it looks interesting to any of us, then we'll get around to reading it.
3. Don't pester or harass a Reader for not liking a story that you recommend. If one of us doesn't like it, then we don't like it. That does not mean it's a bad story, just that it might not be our cup of tea.
4. Keep things civil (i.e. don't be a dick).
5. Let's try and limit things to one story per post and only two posts per person every month. We love to read, but we don't want to get overwhelmed by pony words.
6. Please refrain from posting your own stories here. This thread is entirely for recommending stories by other people that you think people should read. If you want to advertise your own story, check out the Self-Promotion thread.

Happy reading!

QUESTION
Does NSFW specifically refer to Mature/Sex or does it include particularly grauchy "could be Mature if it tried a teeny bit harder" Teen/Sex?

Timaeus
Group Admin

NSFW refers to anything that is rated Mature. I'm pretty sure the site rules do not allow people to link mature stories in an open forum like this one, anyways.

If something is rated teen and has the sex tag then it's totally fine.

3936825 Okey dokey!
I recommend Long Road to Friendship, Sunset of Time and Seven Days in Sunny June Book I. All three are fantastic Sunset Shimmer fanfictions, my favourite character. Although, I would go in with the warning that Seven Days is very, very graudy and you should go in with caution that it features rape as a pivotal theme. It's only even a Teen fic because no actual sex is being done.

Timaeus
Group Admin

I forgot to mention this in the initial post, but we'd also ask that users limit themselves to one story per post. I have now edited the first post to reflect that.

Don't worry about having linked more than one story in your post. It was entirely my bad for forgetting to mentioned that originally. Thank you for the recommendations, though.

I'm going to recommend the criminally under-viewed A Day With The Wonderbolts. This is a wonderful story about what Rainbow Dash did after winning the Best Young Flyers Competition and how the Wonderbolts feel about her and their other fans.

I'm gonna recommend "Relevation" it's a less noticed story that tells Twilights' last letter to Celestia. Warning, it's pretty sad.

Carapace
Group Admin

3940393 I'm glad to see that Minds Eye added this to the folders. I looked it up and loved it... but I read it way back when, so I couldn't add it due to our rules.

Despite the editing flaws, I found it quite enjoyable and fun. Thank you for reminding me of it. I now have it in my bookshelves :twilightsmile:

Comment posted by Emperor Of Nothing deleted Jan 5th, 2015

Recommending Of the Fair and All After, an amazing slice of life story from an author who's greatest strength is writing Spike.

I recommend A simple white letter, it's a sweet story between Discord and Fluttershy.

Ever read Thunder Struck? In the human word, a tinkerer named Stephanie's been programming computers an' robots for fun. But a lightning storm causes her Sweetie Belle robot to come to life, much to her cat's displeasure. I was kinda sceptical at first, but it was actually pretty fun!

It might not have been updated for like half a year or more, but there's a reason it's got so many upvotes...

--Sweetie Belle

Carapace
Group Admin

3959124 Funnily enough, I was just added to a chat with that fic's writer, Merlos the Mad. I haven't seen that one before... Ah, what the heck? I'll give it a whirl.

Hope you like it! I remember really really liking it, but it's been so long since the last update that I don't remember it as well as I should any more. Still, the chapter title "The Cat Did It" still makes me laugh...

--Sweetie Belle

Bonds of Glory, by Taialin. I can't even begin to describe how perfect it; in terms of character, story, the ending ... all of it is just indescribably brilliant. And it has a freakin' awesome song accompanying it, too!

There is no other piece of fanfiction like this.

(Note: bring tissues. You WILL cry.)

3936813 One story that I feel must be given more love is a lovely tale known as 'The Moon's Apprentice'. Summed up: Nightmare Moon teaches twilight. Yeah it's a concept explored before, but it really is a well written piece that lovingly takes the established canon, and precedes to twist and turn it!

Honestly though, the characters are well written and feel natural - even though it's an alternate universe, they still feel like who they are - the story flows nicely, and honestly, it kinda makes you LIKE the characters you're supposed to hate; somethin I feel a lot of stories miss.

So yeah, great read, give it a look anyone who's interested in that sort of thing. I'll give fair warning, it's one of those stories where I found I kinda had to re-read it a couple of times to get the chapter completely; a lot happens per chapter and it takes a minute to process it all. Also it's huge, no light read here!

3936813 I'll happily confess, I had trouble choosing JUST two stories to recommend this month; there are a couple that I really do feel need more attention than they get. So I sat here and thought to myself; 'Which Story do I always enjoy reading, doesn't ever get mentioned, and needs more views in general?'

*BING* 'Bad Future Crusaders'

Yet another alternate universe story, that's a heavy read, and explores an already well trodden path; today's path ' What if Twilight went banana's?'. I'm beginning to think I have a certain taste...

ANYWAY! Much like my last post, this is a story that comes into its own by its content. It's a thrilling tale that manages to balance a focus on multiple characters and perspectives; whilst actually having a pretty good brevity and pace; I never feel that the story is lagging or wasting time.Plus, like the last recommendation, the story occasionally shifts focus to more villainous characters; and paints them in a way I found myself understanding and questioning my feelings to them. I'm being careful not to spoil anything because, honestly, much like a good journey, this story relies on you going in with a somewhat blank slate to get the full experience; yes, I know that sounds pretentious, but for this story, I'll happily take the flak!

The one complaint and warning I'd give is that there are couple of weird spellings here and there, and sometimes the syntax feels a bit off. Really thought, it mainly comes from the author having English as a second language rather than a first; and in that respect, it's pretty impressive. Also. like the last story, you might need to re-read one or two chapters; but not too much, maybe like once per five chapters.

Like I said, I recommend this on top of others because I really feel it needs more attention than it gets. It's a quality story and I always promote it whenever I can. Give it a read if you get a chance :twilightsmile:

I would like to recommend What The Heart Wants. This one-shot explores what it might be like if a ponies upbringing and talent/cutie mark where at odds.

Seashell is my recommendation. This fic deserves so much more than it has.

Also, yes, it's an OC main character, but the writer actually knows how to do OC's RIGHT. Just... give him a try! You won't regret it.

I recommend The Elements of Harmony and the Savior of Worlds. G1 MLP as the past of G4 MLP, with a bit of every 1980's Hasbro property thrown in for good measure. Though, the rest of the Hasbro stuff is more prevalent in the side stories. Want to see Optimus Prime interact with the princesses? Want to know why GI Joe is in, but Cobra isn't? It's in a side story.

Timaeus
Group Admin

Maybe I shouldn't be doing this, but I'd also heartily recommend Seashell to anyone. It's a gem, and frankly one of the absolute best stories that I've ever read. If you scan the comments on the story, you will see my comments where I gush about the story (as well as from others such as Vertorm).

This is one I've had on my resd list for awhile, but only really just got around for reading. I am now officially booting my own ass five ways upside my head for not reading it sooner; it's quickly become one of my favourites.

'Alone...'

The best way to sum up this story, simple; Vincent Van Gogh in Equestria. Yes, really. It's a short oneshot - compared to my previous reccomendations - but it is packed with character and really struck a cord with me. It's well written, has flowery descriptions - a personal favourite of mine :twilightsheepish: - and really made me think; giving it that little sprinkling of mystery to compliment the dish.

Probably won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it so I hope someone else does too. :twilightsmile:

At first i was kind of put off by how long it's chapters were but once i started reading i really got into MLP:BA, It has action and comedy in it, which i like and since i'm a big fan of Anime i really like the action parts and character development as well. Then again i jsut like reading stories that most people think are over rated so that may just me me.

4013419 Do you accept currently incomplete fanfics or just completed ones?

NorrisThePony
Group Admin

5974825 Incomplete are accepted, too! Or, at least, I'm fairly sure we've already got some in the group.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26