• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 2,800 Views, 566 Comments

Honor the Dead - BinaryTroll



Read this and its predecessor first: [url=http://www.fimfiction.net/story/42535/honor-above-all-else]Honor above all else[/url]

  • ...
22
 566
 2,800

Chapters Next
1: Could have gone better.

Honor the Dead

by BinaryTroll aka Onyx Bluemoon

Chapter 1: “Could have gone better”

--------------

I stood on the skyscraper, looking down on the city below. “Joel. Where's the target?”

“About 200m to your left.”

“Run an equipment check.”

“Do we really need to?”

“Just shut up and do it.”

I was talking to Joel, my best friend and long time partner. Long time as in three years. I was what you might call an assassin. I personally didn't believe that was the correct term, my job was closer to that of a ninja's. Stealing, reconnaissance and yes, quite often, assassination. Unfortunately for me, I loved exploding stuff. Not a good trait for stealth missions. Anyway, back to the story. Joel pulled out a silenced AWP(he loved that bolt action rifle), twin silenced Glock-18s and a black combat knife.

“Alright, I got thirty rounds for my AWP, 6 clips for the Glocks, 4 normal, 2 incindinary, and my knife.”

He checked for anything that could jam the guns.

“They all should be working fine.”

“Don't jinx yourself.”

“Shut up.”

I checked my own weapons. Twin massive Bowie knives, “Luna” and “Celestia” (they had camo to match the princesses to boot), a smaller black combat knife, a ballistic knife (I like knives, can you tell?) and a G2 Famas, silenced like everything else.

“Yeah, every thing's in order. 3 clips for the Famas, all the knives are sharp, 2 extras for the ballistic. I think we're good.”

“So. Why did you call this again?”

“Shut up.”

“Whatever Wardo.”

“I swear...” I left my remark hanging. Wardo is a nickname Joel gave me around when I was fourteen. It's short for Edwardo which is, once again, a nickname for the name Edward.

I sprinted towards the edge of the skyscraper, jumping at the last second. My momentum combined with my jump catapulted me across the gap and I landed on an adjacent building, rolling to break my fall. A soft thump behind me told me that my partner had followed in kind. Together we continued to run and leap our way across the buildings.

I loved the feeling of the night. It was so quiet. So peaceful. Hell, I was going to ruin that peace soon but, still. I did love the night. It was a new moon, not that that really mattered, there are so many lights in the city it doesn't matter whether the moon is full or not. It's a shame really. The lights from the city take away so many of the stars around us. Take away the beauty of the night.

I shook off the thoughts, almost botching a jump. That small mistake could have been lethal. God, this was a rush. Putting my mind back to the task at hand, I vaulted over one of the many pipes that littered the tops of these buildings. Joel was already at the edge of this building, no longer running but crouching, looking down the scope of his rifle. I landed softly next to him.

“I'm picking up some heat signatures in the building, human sized.” Joel said quietly. “I'd say this guy got himself some guards.”

“It'd be a shame, if someone were to kill them.” I chuckled at my dark humour. Joel laughed back. These small jokes were so much more funny when you could die in the next few minutes. I heard some shouting at the bottom of the building. “What was that?”

“I'm guessing none of our business, that's what.” Joel replied, slinging his rifle across his back. “We have enough to worry about right now.”

I sighed. “Fine. I'm allowed to be curious.” I pulled out Luna and swiped the air in front of me. “Okay, lets do this”

I dived through one of the open windows of the building, rolling myself into cover behind a desk. I heard breathing. Making no sound, I slowly stood up, readying Luna for possible combat.. A guard stood not a metre away from my position, although, besides the desk and him, the room was empty. Taking careful steps, I approached him. With a quick movement I struck, clamping a hand over his mouth whilst ramming Luna through his skull. I stabbed him in the back a few times for good measure. Blood dripped to the floor as I dragged the lifeless body behind the desk I had originally hidden behind.

I moved back to the window I had entered through, beckoning Joel towards myself. I stood back as he leapt through the open window, rolling as I had done. He noticed the mangled corpse of the guard and raised his eyebrows at me. I gave him a look that said “Don't ask.”

He shook his head and walked toward the door. Once there, he put an ear to it. I followed suit. More breathing. It was irregular, leading me to believe that there were multiple people inside. I drew Celestia, holding the dual knives in a reverse grip. As Joel silently turned the handle I readied myself. The door slowly opened and I stealthily moved into the room. One guard was facing me, the other facing his comrade. The first guard let out a small gasp and I rushed towards them. The second guard turned just as I plunged the two knives into his chest, feeling them crush bone and draw that ever present blood. The first guard readied his weapon, I was defenceless against it, my knives still lodged in his companion's chest. Unfortunately for him, I didn't come alone.

PSSH PSSH PSSH

The silenced Glock fired, ripping through the first guards chest. I abandoned my knives and gently lowered the guard to the ground. That done, I ripped my knives out of the other corpse's chest, wiping them on the body before sheathing them. An idea came into my mind and I smiled evilly. Using the first guard's weapon sling, I hung his body from the light in the room. I decided to turn off the light as well. I looked to Joel. He was making retching motions. I took in the room. It appeared to be some form of storage, many boxes and crates littered the floor. Seriously, who puts a storage at the top of a building?

I heard a series of soft thumps. Footsteps. Joel dived behind one of the many boxes and I did the same.

“Hey, Jack, Dan? You okay?”

The guard had stopped outside the door, presumably looking for the two other guards who were hanging around. Fuck you, that was funny. He opened the door and saw the hanging body. He screamed.

“OH SHIT, OH SHIT, OH SHIT!”

He started firing wildly at shadows. Unfortunately for me, I was one of them. Leaping up to dodge the bullets, I flipped, planting my feet on the roof before pushing off it to propel me towards the terrified guard. I pulled out my smaller knife in mid-air and stabbed him through the throat. The gunfire ceased instantly, allowing me to hear the many shouts of variations on “What was that?”

“Well that went perfectly.” Joel said sarcastically. I sighed.

“Fuck it. Lets do this the fun way.” I pulled out Luna and Celestia, holding them in a reverse grip. I kicked the already half open door, ripping it off it's hinges. Oddly, there was no one nearby.

“Lets just find the target and get out.” Joel said, unscrewing the silencers of his two Glocks and setting them to full auto. “We don't need to kill everyone in the building.”

“Why not?”

“Because that's not our objective”

“IS NOW!” I yelled manically, smashing the next door to splintered wood.

“You do realise that you could just open those doors normally, right?”

“More fun this way.”I said, kicking yet another door in. “Where is everyone? They were shouting about that guy I killed a minute ago.”

I kicked a fourth door open, actually lodging it in a wall. That's where I found everyone, staring at me with their jaws on the floor. I grinned like a maniac, which I guess I was, and rushed into the room.
I gracefully ducked and weaved around the steams of bullets headed my way. After years of practice with dummy rounds, I had become quite adept at dodging bullets. They key is knowing where they're going to shoot and moving out of the way, rather than actually dodging as they come toward you. I decapitated one guard with a scissor motion, before spinning and accidentally slitting the throat of another as I brought the knives into a thirds chest. I ducked as Joel fired with the Glocks, killing off the rest of the room in a shower of blood and gore.

Only one remained, he was in a suit with a purple tie. Our target. He started to run toward the door he came from before he was ripped to pieces by Joel's Glocks.

“Done. And done. Even if it was a little anticlimatic.” Joel said, dropping the empty clips of his Glocks and loading fresh ones. “Now can we get out before someone else gets involved?”

“ SWAT, open the door!”

“You had to say it, didn't you?” I muttered as the door was kicked off its hinges, not by me for once. A little bit of change is good every now and then.

“Drop your weapons!” shouted the lead SWAT, pointing a SMG at me. His two friends sweeped the room before focusing on Joel.

“For fucks sake man, no need to shout.” I said as I lowered my knives to the ground. A clatter from behind me told me that Joel had dropped his Glocks.

“Now kick them over here!” The stupid SWAT captain was still shouting at me. Using the toe of my boot, I flipped Luna into the air, before kicking her with the other leg into the loud captain's chest. Joel stomped on the Glocks, spraying bullets into the other two SWAT's ankles and skins. I dove for Celestia, grabbing the knife and slashing it through one of the SWAT's throats. I stomped on the final one's head, exploding it in a rather gruesome fashion.

“Well, at least I know what that shouting was.” I said. “Can we go now?”

“With pleasure.” Joel replied. We walked over to the door which happened to lead to a set of stairs. I slid down the railing, because I could, leaping off at the next floor. “Hey, can I borrow one of your Bowies?” Joel shouted from the top of the stairs. I tossed Celestia up to him. He placed the knife on the railing and I got an idea of what he was going to do. He backed up before sprinting for the railing and leaping on to the knife. As a testament to his balance, he didn't fall and landed gracefully at the bottom, grabbing Celestia from under his feet and handing her to me hilt first. “Show off” I muttered, turning toward the door at the end of the stairs.

“I heard voices, breach and flash.” the door said. It took me a second to realise what was happening, by then it was too late. The door slammed open and a small metal cylinder was thrown through, bouncing off my forehead.

“Shi-”

The flashbang exploded.

Author's Note:

This is my first real story. Grammar nazis are appreciated.

Chapters Next