• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 2,800 Views, 566 Comments

Honor the Dead - BinaryTroll



Read this and its predecessor first: [url=http://www.fimfiction.net/story/42535/honor-above-all-else]Honor above all else[/url]

  • ...
22
 566
 2,800

PreviousChapters Next
10: Dreams, nightmares and vodka

Honor the Dead
by BinaryTroll
Pre-read by nobody. :(
Chapter 10: “Nightmares, dreams and vodka.”



I opened my eyes and took in my new surroundings. There was no defined ground. It was just a white space. Interesting. Most ponies had more detailed dreams than this.

I took at tentative step forward. My hoof still met solid ground. Good.

I looked around for the human and the shadow. They were nowhere to be seen. I closed my eyes and reached out with my magic to search the dreamscape. I couldn't pick up any consciousnesses other than my own. So where was the host of the dream?

I opened my eyes and spun a full circle. Just white. Nothing.

I sighed. Guess this was just a waste of time. I prepared to leave.

“Going so soon?”

I jumped at the voice. It had an odd accent to it. One that I hadn't heard before.

“Hello?” I called out into the white. There was still no sign of the human.

No answer. I prepared to leave again.

“I get the idea you don't like it here.” said the same voice from behind me.

I whirled around. The human was standing there with his arms folded.

“Frankly, it's rather boring. And I have work to do, so if you'll excuse me.” I closed my eyes and prepared to leave again.

“Really Lulu? I quite like it. Although you're right. It is rather boring. And I haven't had much excitement recently, soooo.” the human clicked his fingers and grass formed under my hooves. Buildings grew up from the ground and the sky became a sea of black. Small stars started to twinkle and formed a set of set of constellations that I was not familiar with.

The human looked up and smiled. “So Luna, there's no moon. Would you do the honors?”

I stared at the human for a second. “How did you?... I... What?”

“Would you please raise the moon. I'd say you are better at it than me. You know, 4000 years experience and all that.”

I was speechless. Only my sister and I could control dreams this well. But this human was doing it like he did it every day. Or night.

I looked up and willed the moon into existence. It wasn't the moon I knew. Instead of having the usual 'mare in the moon' symbol, it had a series of random gray dots that followed the edge in a curve.

I voiced my thoughts. “That's not the moon I know.”

“Of course not. It's Earth's moon.”

“Earth's... Moon?”

“Yup. That’s our moon. Not quite as interesting as yours, but hey. It's mine.”

“But how does it stay in the sky without magic?”

The human held up his hand and clenched it into a fist. “SCIENCE!”

I lay down on the grass. I had so many questions. Maybe the human could answer a few.

“Where are you right now?”

“I currently reside in a jeep traveling 100 kilometers an hour across the most empty plains you have ever seen. And let me tell you, they are boring as hell. And massive. I've already driven the equivalent of the length of America. I'll have been driving for 5 days by the end of today.”

“America?”

“Where Honored is from. I lived there for three years until I was transported to your beautiful world.” Was that a bit of sarcasm?

“You don’t like it here?”

“Well, I'll put it this way. I've spent more than half my time here driving across and endless plain. I was attacked by 10000 shadows. My friend and I could have died multiple times. All I've eaten is cans of baked beans, a manticore steak and some cockatrice. I'm cold, dirty, sunburned, windburned and in need of a shower. The best thing that happened was finding a couple of magically charged drinks machines in Hum-Gia. And then I got chased by the aforementioned 10000 shadows. So yeah, so far my stay has been far from pleasant.”

“How do you know of Hum-Gia? And Honored Service for that matter?”

“Long story. Literally. Around 130000 words right now. Speaking of which, I know about your slight crush on Honored.” I opened my mouth to speak but the Human didn't give me time. “But I'd say don't try. He does still love Sky. Hehe, that rhymed. I'll be a zebra in no time. Even if technically it's only a few of them that rhyme because of that tribal stuff. But I digress. I digress a lot actually. Maybe I have a short attention span. Nah, I can concentrate sometimes. I wonder what it's like to be a pony?”

The human made a popping sound and turned into a black earth pony. His mane stayed the same.

“Hmm, nah.” Wings and a horn popped into existence. “That's better.”

“How did you-” even I didn't have the control to change form that quickly.

“Swag.” the being crossed his forelegs and a pair of sunglasses floated from the ground onto his face.

“Pardon?”

The human/pony sighed and the sunglasses disappeared in a cloud of black smoke.

“Guess you don't know what the internet is, do you?”

“No.”

“That was rhetorical.”

“Sorry.”

“Jesus, what's with girls and constantly apologizing to me?”

“What?”

“Never mind.”

The human/pony gasped and the dream turned blood red.

“Guess I'm waking up now.”

I held up my hoof. “Wait, what abou-”

I returned to the dreamscape.

“Dammit.”

Back to my POV

I awoke to a sharp pain in my arm. I slowly opened my eyes. And quickly closed them again as the sun killed my eyesight.

“Umm, Wards?”

I mumbled something incoherent.

“You have a knife sticking out of your arm.”

I lifted my arm for around a second before my strength faded and it fell back onto the seat. “Yeah, sure. Whatever.” I mumbled, my eyes still closed.

“Dude. A knife. Your arm. Sticking out of. Buried under the skin. Bleeding all over the place.”

“Uh huh.”

“Coffee.”

I sat up instantly. “Where!?” I looked frantically around. No coffee. I turned to Joel. “You lied to me.”

“Yes I did. But there is a knife sticking out of your arm.”

I looked down at my small black combat knife. Which currently was embedded in my arm. “Heh. So there is.”

I pulled the knife out and re-sheathed it. Blood leaked out of the wound onto the dashboard, painting it a rather nice crimson.

“Well, now that that's dealt with, look up.”

I looked up and took in my surroundings. “Yeah. We're driving along a mountain. So what?”

“Think Wardo.”

“Oh. We are finally out of those fucking plains. Yay. Now we are on some equally boring mountains.”

“Mountains with dragons.”

“How do you know?”

“I saw a few. I shouted at them.”

“Lemme guess. But then you took an arrow to the knee.”

“That is so overused.”

I laughed a bit. “Sorry. I just couldn't help myself.”

“Anyway, I was thinking-”

“You were thinking?” I said in mock surprise.

Joel gave me a death glare. “Shut up Wards. I was thinking that if we talked to them, they might be able to lead us to civilization. That’s why I shouted at them. They didn't hear obviously. Else we'd be talking to a dragon right now.”

“Just constantly adding to the list of stuff we thought we'd never say, aren't we?”

“Heh. Yeah. So, fancy going on a dragon hunt?”

I laughed again. “Hellz yea. This is going to be awesome.”

and so we switch perspectives once again

I mused over the dream I had just witnessed. It wasn't often when I could directly talk to a dreamer, and I'd never seen that amount of control over a dream before. And how could I see into the human's dream? I can't see into Honored's dreams. Or I don't think I can. I will have to test that later. But anyway, who was that human? Besides Honored, they only existed on earth. Right? Yes, they had all been killed in the war with Nightmare. So how did the human get here? He said he was on some form of endless plain. Was it the same as the one where the Elements of Sanctuary were hidden? That plain did stretch a long way. And how could he know so much? He even knew about my slight crush on Honored. That was rather degrading. I'm over 4000 years old, you'd think I'd have grown out of that by now.

I sighed. I could make theories all day. But there was a war to fight. I could think over this another time.

I trotted over to my 'special' cabinet and opened it. I selected one of the small dusty bottles and pulled it out.

“Oh vodka. You can get me into so much trouble.” I murmured. The small cap came off with a pop and I gulped down a mouthful. The liquid burned it's way down my throat.

“Princess?”

Dammit Twilight. “Yes?”

“Can I come in?”

Shit. I quickly cloaked the bottle with magic and set it down on the shelf. “I don't see why not.”

“Fool.” The zipper opened and something black blurred past. A shadow assassin.

I felt a sharp pain and blood sprayed out from my cheek, spraying blood into my eyes. I spun around only to see my attacker meld into the shadows.

“Do you see your death approaching, princess?” The shadow taunted in a raspy voice. “Don't worry, it only hurts if you struggle.”

I summoned a whip of blue fire and cracked it. “Go to hell.”

The assassin laughed. “But it's more fun for me if you do.”

Another flash of black, another cut. This one was deeper and across my barrel. More of my blood soaked into my coat.

“Do you see the hopelessness of your situation princess? Do you see how easy it is?”

I smiled. “Yes I do.”

The whip flashed out, simultaneously striking every corner of the tent. I was rewarded a scream of pain and the stench of burning flesh. The assassin fell to the ground, still on fire.

“You know Nightmare, doing the same thing over and over again really doesn't work.”

The shadow griffin looked up at me and coughed, spraying black blood all over my face. “Sacrificing minions is fun. ”

I opened my mouth to reply but the shadow was already dead.

I wiped the blood off my face and stared down at Nightmare's dead minion. It was a griffon, just like the rest of the shadow assassins that had attacked. I wonder why?

My thoughts were interrupted by a nervous cough from the 'door'. I turned around.

“Yes Twilight?”

The lavender mare entered the tent. She cautiously eyed the dead griffon before turning back to me.

“Princess, you are requested back at command. Also, why is there a dead shadow in your room?”

I sighed. “Another one of Nightmare's failed assassination attempts. I am getting rather sick of these.”

“Do you want me to...” she trailed off, looking down at the ground.

“No Twilight. I know how uncomfortable you are around these beasts.”

“Thank you princess.”

I turned back to the shadow and lifted it off the ground. As I exited the tent I carelessly dumped it on the pile of other failed attempts. It was growing far too large.

“Well Twilight, lets see what the nobles want from me.”

Edward POV

“Wish I had a portal, wish I wish I had a portal gun. Wish I had a portal, wish I wish I had a portal gun. To be an aperture science client would be like a dream. Hey yo my brain has been cravin' it since portal hit steam.” I sung. Badly.

“Wards, why do you insist on singing?”

I smiled at Joel. “Because it annoys you. Why do you think?”

Joel lowered his face into his hands. “Dammit Wards. Shut up.”

“EYES ON THE ROAD!” I yelled, grabbing the wheel. With a jolt, we flew off into space.

Joel raised his head and sighed. "Fuck."

Author's Note:

As usual, point out any mistakes. New cover art soon. There was something else I was going to say but I forgot.

PreviousChapters Next