• Published 23rd Sep 2011
  • 21,620 Views, 541 Comments

Moving on: Silver Spoon's story - Hollyfern



one filly coping with moving on in life

  • ...
10
 541
 21,620

Loyalty Unfaltering

Sweetie Belle and Silver Spoon trotted out of Sugar Cube Corner, laughing as the ever gleeful Pinkie Pie bounced out behind them. "That was FUN girls!" Pinkie chirped in her energetic fashion she was know for. "Thanks for the help!" The pink pony bounced past them into town humming as she blended into the noon bustle of the day.

"I told you, Pinkie isn't all that scary," Sweetie Belle giggled, prodding Silver Spoon playfully in her side. "Just takes some getting used to is all."

Silver Spoon nodded and rolled her eyes playfully, her past fears of the pink pony now only a funny memory. "Alright alright, I see,” she giggled. “I gotta say, when you suggested we hang out with Pinkie, I was kinda hoping she wasn’t gonna be home!”

“Told you so!” Sweetie Belle giggled as she shook her head, apparently still amazed that anypony could fear the friendliest pony in Ponyville.

"Hey, it's almost time for us to meet with the others," Silver Spoon pointed out, covering her eyes from the glaring sun with hoof. “What do you think we will be doing today?”

Sweetie Belle shrugged. “I don’t know. Apple Bloom or Scootaloo usually come up with the ideas, maybe they have something in mind.”

“Well, we should get going don’t you think Belle?” Silver Spoon giggled.

Sweetie Belle lightly blushed at the sudden casual tone Silver Spoon took. “B-Belle?”

“Another word for elegant, if I remember right,” Silver Spoon plainly stated. “I didn’t mean anything by it, I just thought... you know it was alright.” Though it doesn’t hurt that that’s also the name of my favorite story book princess too. She inwardly giggled.

“It’s alright, Silvy,” Sweetie Belle giggled. “I don’t mind, now, let’s get go-”

“Hey! Sweetie Belle!” A familiar voice called to the fillies from above the two fillies.

Both fillies looked to the sky and saw a cyan pony looking down at them as she descended. Silver Spoon recognized the pegasus in front of them as Rainbow Dash. The mare looked around then sighed. “Doesn’t look like she’s here either.”

“You looking for Pinkie Pie?” Sweetie Belle asked. “She just left.”

"Drat," Rainbow Dash groaned, taking her frustration out by kicking a small pebble. "I was supposed to help with baking or something like that today... thanks girls," A little disheartened, the pegasus took to the sky once again, her trademark rainbow trail streaking behind her.

Just as the end of the rainbow disappeared, a light buzzing sound echoed growing louder by the second.

“What.. is that..?” Silver Spoon asked, giving Sweetie Belle a confused look.

“Sounds like Scootaloo,” Sweetie Belle replied. “Must have saw Rainbow Dash.” She giggled.

Just like Sweetie Belle predicted, Scootaloo came to a screeching stop. She removed her blue and white helmet, whipping her matted mane around frantically. “I SAW!! DASH!! HERE!!! WHERE?!” The pegasus blurted out, her eyes frantically shifting between the sky and the ponyfolk.

“Just missed her, actually,” Silver Spoon said.

“Ahh darn it!” Scootaloo groaned, letting her forehead fall onto the handle bar of her scooter, her helmet making an audible clack as it fell to the ground. “I was gonna ask he--”

SWEET-IE BELLE!!!” A roar pierced the air, causing the fillies and a few other ponies in the market to jump.

Silver Spoon and Scootaloo froze in fear. Sweetie Belle, however, cringed at the all too familiar tone.

Rarity approached, eyes blazing like an ursa on the prowl. A vaguely familiar cloth floated in the vice grip of her magic. Other ponies scampered to get out of her war path, she paid them no mind. Her focus at the moment was her little sister. “Mind explaining this..?!” The enraged unicorn dropped an orange makeshift scarf to the ground. Sweetie Belle could only return a weak smile under her sisters murderous gaze.

The young unicorns ears drooped down as she stared at the fabric, or rather what’s left of it, and sighed. “Umm... I-I’m sorry Rarity.”

“Sorry won’t cut it!” Rarity snapped. “I’ve told you time and again NOT to touch my fabric, I even gave you your own,” Rarity sighed, calming down a bit as she saw her sister staring at the ground in front of her, pawing with a hoof. “It pains me to have to do this, but you're grounded for the rest of the day.”

“What! But, Rarity—” Sweetie Belle whined.

“Ah-Ah, no buts, Sweetie Belle. You should have known better,” Rarity chided. “Come along now."

“Fine...”Sweetie Belle groaned. “Guess I’ll have to see you girls tomorrow... bye, Silvy and Scootaloo.”

Glad I don’t have any older siblings! Silver Spoon nodded to herself.

Both Silver Spoon and Scootaloo both waved a hoof as Rarity led Sweetie Belle home. Both still sort of stunned by the mare’s outburst. “We...I-I guess we better get to Twist and Apple Bloom then.” Silver Spoon said, breaking the silence between the two ponies.

“Huh? Oh, yeah. Sure let’s... let’s go,” Scootaloo nodded.

Both fillies went side by side. An awkward silence between them, as they made for Sweet Apple Acres. Silver Spoon glanced over at her fellow crusader and sighed.

She doesn’t fully trust me, I can feel it... Silver Spoon thought to herself, casting another sidewards glace at Scootaloo cruising along on her scooter. Silver Spoon inwardly groaned, the silence was beginning to get to her slowly. She couldn’t place her hoof on it ,but she needed to get through to this stubborn pegasus.

“Hey, that reminds me...” Scootaloo said in something of a hushed whisper.

Silver Spoon didn’t catch what the filly said, too wrapped up on the thought of how to get Scootaloo to warm up to her.

“Silver Spoon, I have something of a question for you,” The orange filly looked over to see Silver Spoon in a whole other world right now, led only by her hooves and possibly the sound of Scootaloo’s buzzing wings. “Silver Spoon!”

Silver Spoon jumped slightly as she was torn away from her thinking. “Y-yes?”

“What was the deal with you and Diamond Tiara?” Scootaloo bluntly said. “Why the sudden change of heart?”

“It’s complicated,” Silver Spoon quickly replied with a sigh.

"Uncomplicate it," Scootaloo snorted, not satisfied by the short answer.

Persistent one... Silver Spoon inwardly chuckled. "Fine, long story short, you don't know Diamond like I do."

"Fair enough," Scootaloo shrugged. “But, what about us?”

“What do you mean?” Silver Spoon asked. Is my loyalty being drawn into question?

“I’m not blind, I can see you aren’t as bad so long as that snobby princess isn’t here,” Scootaloo said.”No offence.” She quickly added. “But, are you REALLY our friend?”

“Of course!” Silver Spoon sharply replied. “I really like you girls, and it’s nice that I don’t have to pretend to be somepony else in public for a change!”

Scootaloo smiled and nodded. “Alright then.”

"Though... I do envy you all..." Silver Spoon confessed.

"What?" Scootaloo asked, lightly chuckling. "Envy me?"

"Well, to be honest Scootaloo," Silver Spoon started. "Each of you has something I wish I had."

Scootaloo stopped dead in her tracks, obviously still stunned by Silver Spoon's words. "YOU envy us?"

"Yes," She replied with a nod. "Like you, for example. You are your own mare. You don't cling to somepony else like I did."

“What?” Scootaloo asked tilting her head to the side.

“I've heard a few things from other classmates. Rainbow Dash… She's your idol, but you don't live on her every word like I used to with Diamond Tiara,” Silver Spoon admitted, hanging her head.

“I like Dash and all, but I don't want to be like her,” Scootaloo scoffed

“What?” Silver Spoon’s eyes widened. “But, you—”

“I want to be BETTER than her!” Scootaloo added with a confident smile. “It’d be no fun if i were EXACTLY like her, y’know?”

Silver Spoon nodded slowly, smiling as Scootaloo’s words seemed to make perfect sense. “You know... I never thought of it that way.”

“Really?” Scootaloo chuckled. “I figured for all your smarts, YOU would have known that!”

“Whatever!” Silver Spoon stuck her tongue out and blew a raspberry. Scootaloo only smiled and shook her head as the sight.

“When did you start seeing the fun side of things?” Scootaloo giggled, pulling the bottom lid of her eye and sticking out her tongue.

Silver Spoon burst into laughter at Scootaloo’s distorted face. “Alright you win! Though, if you keep on making faces like that it might get stuck!”

“You should try it!” Scootaloo giggled. “For you though, it might be an improvement!”

“Oh yeah, as IF!” Silver Spoon laughed, bounding off toward Sweet Apple Acres.

“Hey!” Scootaloo laughed. “Where do YOU think you’re goin!”

Scootaloo’s wings beat in overtime, whipping up a small gale. She bolted clean past Silver Spoon like an orange typhoon, causing the fillies mane and tail to be blown completely out of style as she spun on her hooves. Her mane stuck out in every direction like a bush. Her tail followed suit, looking like the aftermath of a hurricane.

SCOOOTALOOOO!!!!!” Silver Spoon playfully cried as she picked up her glasses. She then gave chase, their laughter echoing through the town.